PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Swallower

Your Mum Rang
04-08-2009, 16:21
So lads,

What do you think of the Spirit Swallower upgrade for a Kipper? I have the lovely Belial mini from Rackham Legends on the way and think that Spirit Swallower suits this mini to a tee.

Has anyone used it? IMO it's underpriced considering how survivable it can make your Keeper.

Gaargod
04-08-2009, 18:09
Keepers are survivable enough, if you do it right.

Siren Song, Allure of Slaanesh, Enrapturing Gaze, Torment blade. Run out first turn from behind cover, make something charge you (heavy cavalry are a good target, as they're expensive and your opponent won't want to have them flee off the table). Obviously, combined with leadership abusing things, nothing hits you while you shred things left right and centre. If they lose combat even by 1, on -4 to -6 LD they;'re probably going to flee, allowing you to charge something else. If not, Keeper stays around (BSB helping no damage) and shreds stuff till they do.

Of course, that's cheese. Horrible evil cheese. If you don't want to go down that route, spirit swallower isn't a bad idea.

Draco74
05-08-2009, 13:58
I think the points are better spent on other gifts. If it allowed you to go up to double your starting wounds, I'd say sure, but only being able to heal the damage you have already taken, no thank you.

shartmatau
05-08-2009, 14:52
I agree with Draco and would add that its a little weird. The keeper is going to strike first on everything, except a DE assassin. So the very little that will hit you back might do damage, but all of that damage will happen after the keeper hits. So on the first charge it won't do anything at all. If you end up being stuck in combat I could see it working well but I don't see the Keeper getting stuck in many combats. His purpose is to smash a unit and keep moving, and he has the movement to avoid combats he doesn't want to be part of. I think your better off with other gifts unless you want him to be more of a tarpit, but I wouldnt want that for a such a great creature from the warp.

fubukii
05-08-2009, 16:17
Keepers are in 10 asf as well so its a roll off :(, i also believe tyrion is in10...

As far as spirit swallower i can see that is has some uses vs magic and or shooting heavy armies. After taking a couple of wounds first turn you can get into combat and go back to full strength.

sulla
05-08-2009, 22:26
It's a poor choice. It uses up all your allowance and you already have strikes first. You may well kill all your opponents in cc before ever suffering a wound, meaning you never gain anything from it.

If you face gunlines or face powerful magic and plan on going magic-lite yourself, it may be worth it, but generally, the Daemon list has the tools to neuter both of these types of army anyway.

Most importantly, 100pts of spirit swallower is worse than 20pts of siren...

Sarah S
05-08-2009, 22:36
It's an incredible choice. I have used it frequently and the local players have learned to hate it. Barring lucky cannon strikes, there is almost no way to kill a Keeper of Secrets with Spirit Swallower.

Pick your battles and keep yourself healthy. With this gift she can win a war of attrition against almost anything in the game.

It's not the best gift for going up against super heroes, Bloodthirsters or the like, but against anything you can reliably hurt it is, in my opinion, the best way to spend 100 points of gifts on the Keeper.