PDA

View Full Version : Saurus Oldblood builds...

Time of Madness
04-08-2009, 16:47
Anyone have any great saurus oldblood builds?

I'm looking for builds on foot, cold one and carnosaur.

Time of Madness

Ultimate Life Form
04-08-2009, 16:58
There have been heated discussions on this topic before and it generally seems to boil down to the question if the Blade of Realities or the Blade of Revered Tzunki is better, which seems to be a question of faith. Other than that, just throw in a bit protectiness and purchase your mount of choice. Done!

Of course you could also try different builds, but they will probably be more situational and the value depends on the synergy with the rest of your army.

Gaargod
04-08-2009, 17:54
Everything build has light armour and shield unless otherwise specified:

Blade of Realities, Enchanted Shield (or Talisman of Protection) - this is my usual build, on a carnosaur. The carni deals with high armour and the lord attempts to blow things up (assuming frenzy, 50% to kill a WS6+ Ld9 lord automatically)
Blade of Revered Tzunki, Glyph Necklace

Less popular but still good: Scimitar of the Sun, Glyph Necklace and Enchanted Shield (or Maiming Shield + Talisman of Prot)

Cheap versions: Piranha/Burning Blade (and maybe Enchanted Shield, Glyph Necklace), sometimes with Bane Head

There is only 1 reason not to take a mount (see below). Otherwise, stick him on a cold one for +2 AS or on the carni to eat things. The above builds work well with that.

You might, possibly, take Charm of Jaguar Warrior. I wouldn't recommend it, under 3k anyways, as without a lot of other magic it just won't get off. It costs quite a bit more than the scar vet version, but obviously hits harder with better protection.

Desert Rain
04-08-2009, 22:29
One that I like is the 9 Attacks build which looks like this:

Oldblood with Light Armour, Scmitar of the Sun, Maiming Shield, Carnosaur Pendant or Carnosaur. If you're on a carnosaur you can take the Glyph Neclace if you want a ward save.

shredshredxx
04-08-2009, 23:21
my favorite is oldblood w/ sacred stegadon helm, carnosaur pendant, glyph necklace, light armour, halberd.

eyescrossed
05-08-2009, 00:18
my favorite is oldblood w/ sacred stegadon helm, carnosaur pendant, glyph necklace, light armour, halberd.

Only Skinks can take the Sacred Stegadon Helm.

shredshredxx
05-08-2009, 10:59
no way??

awww, weak. army builder didn't see a problem with it, but then, i don't own the army book /:

Troah
05-08-2009, 14:33
It would be amazing if a Saurus could take it.

N810
05-08-2009, 14:49
Yea I was looking at that the other night... I should say skink only.

I was messing around the other day and found an interesting build...
it't the exponentional wound build :evilgrin:

light armor
Parana Blade
Banehead
Carnasaur
mameing shield
ward save (I forget witch one)

if you get a wound in on the baneheaded target... it's 4X wounds
and the Carne does D3x2 wounds
and don't forget blood frenzy.

Griffin
13-08-2009, 09:42
Saurus Oldblood on Cold one, Scimitar of Sun resplendent + Carnosaur Pendant + Maiming Shield, Light armor, Shield.

0+ save, 8 Attacks + 1 for mount, after frenzy 9 Attacks + 1 for mount. Should generate crazy combat resolution if leading a pack of Cold on Cavalry.

mr_vespa
14-08-2009, 15:26
For a survival, multi-wound build (considering that you're willing to spend a few extra pts on magic gear), you can try:
Light Armour, Pirahna Blade, Enchanted Shield, Glyph Necklace and Bane Head mounted on Carnosaur

I've seen that particular build in action against Thirsters and DE 'unkillable' dreadlords. The 4X Wound + D3 X2 wounds on your baned target is enough to stress an opponent into wetting himself when he realizes that 1 failed roll is all you need to grin.

Killboss
15-08-2009, 15:24
My build goes like this, Oldblood, Carnosaur, Scimitar of the Sun Resplendant, maiming shield. Sometimes Bane Head, probably only if im going to be vsing WoC (so the few wounds count.)

N810
15-08-2009, 15:50
For a survival, multi-wound build (considering that you're willing to spend a few extra pts on magic gear), you can try:
Light Armour, Pirahna Blade, Enchanted Shield, Glyph Necklace and Bane Head mounted on Carnosaur

I've seen that particular build in action against Thirsters and DE 'unkillable' dreadlords. The 4X Wound + D3 X2 wounds on your baned target is enough to stress an opponent into wetting himself when he realizes that 1 failed roll is all you need to grin.

Don't forget it get blood frenzied too. ;)

Jetty Smurf
17-08-2009, 04:43
Does the bane head affect the carnosaur wounds?

It says the "bearer" of the bane head, does that include the carny?

SabaLoth
17-08-2009, 06:23
good question. I'd say the carny doesn't get the wounds

Leviathan2009
19-08-2009, 18:52
When I was building my Oldblood I wanted to go with something a little out of the ordinary so I took:

light armor
Maiming Shield
Sword of Hornet

I put him in a unit of 19 Sarus Warriors and try to get into combat so I can issue or accept a challenge. I tried to keep his points down but keep a high level of attacks.

Luckily in my gaming area there are not a lot of the Bloodthirsters, or big chaos lords around.

Korhil-WLC
20-08-2009, 05:17
I use

Oldblood - 409
Carnosaur, LA, Shield, Halberd, Glymph Necklace.

Cheap-ish, Effective