PDA

View Full Version : WoC - Daemonic Mounts

mikepm07
04-08-2009, 18:14
Does a model mounted on a Daemonic Mount still receive the +1 to his armor save for being on an unbarded horse?

Because Daemonic Mounts cause fear, does a character on a Daemonic Mount also cause fear, and by association, any unit he joins?

I'm having a hell (ha ha) of a time tracking down answers to a lot of these questions I have after reading the WoC book, and I appreciate the help. Thanks!

xragg
04-08-2009, 18:18
1) You get +1 to your armor save only if the mount has 1 wound on its profile. (pg30 BRB)

2) Yes, the mount passes its fear to the rider, and likewise to the unit. The unit strength of the fear is still only the unit strength of the mount though. (pg 78-79 BRB)

mikepm07
04-08-2009, 18:36
Thank you for the quick reply, much appreciated.

Kalandros
04-08-2009, 19:17
The unit Strength of the mount AND its rider are calculated for the Unit Strength of Fear/Terror.

The unit does not gain fear, it gains IMMUNITY to fear. If you are charged by something that does not cause fear, that something will NOT have to test for Fear unless it comes into contact with the Fear-causer's base.

Drachen_Jager
04-08-2009, 20:56
Demonic mounts are not very good though, most of the god-specific mounts are better.

Juggernaut turns the rider into an armoured behemoth.

Disk and Steed of Slaanesh give a good turn of speed.

Only the Palinquin is arguably inferior.

mikepm07
04-08-2009, 21:34
Well I'm planning on sticking a Sorcerer with 5 Knights of Tzeentch carrying the Blasted Standard. I figure those two STR 5 attacks will come in handy in challenges seeing as Sorcerers aren't great combatants.

Lord Zarkov
04-08-2009, 21:38
Give him an Enchated Shield and Sword of Might, and then he's a Chaos Knight himself.

mikepm07
04-08-2009, 21:51
The plan right now is

Mark of Tzeentch
Chaos Armor
Enchanted Shield
Collar of Khorne
Daemonic Steed

I figure the magic resistance and 5+ ward will be useful, and I can supplement the Sword of Might with a Daemonic Steed. Granted, he is very expensive.

Skyth
04-08-2009, 22:24
One thing I've found with the Daemonic mount is that it is on a 50x50 base...makes the unit of Knights rather long/unwieldy.

The upside is that you can give him the Blasphemous amulet and hit plenty of models.

mikepm07
04-08-2009, 22:31
One thing I've found with the Daemonic mount is that it is on a 50x50 base...makes the unit of Knights rather long/unwieldy.

The upside is that you can give him the Blasphemous amulet and hit plenty of models.

Did not know he was on a large base... that certainly changes things. Thanks.

jaxom
04-08-2009, 22:41
Yeah, put him on a regular Chaos Steed. The Steed is barded and so you gain additional AS from that. It's a 25x50 base instead of a 50x50. And not least, it is cheaper which may eventually come in handy somewhere else on the table. Heck, for the price you can just about put a champion in the unit to take the challenges in the first place.

Out of curiosity, why put him in the Knights at all? Knights tend to be used as a hammer unit and you usually want to keep your mages out of combat so that they can use their full arsenal, especially for Tzeench mages who usually have Flickering Flames (a magic missile) and other stuff which cannot be used into combat.

Drachen_Jager
04-08-2009, 23:00
I'd say you're better off putting him on a disc, that way he can continue to be of full use after the Knights charge into battle and he can be just as safe from shooting/magic if you're careful where you put him. Also, with a light weapon he can take out warmachines and such pretty effectively.

jaxom
04-08-2009, 23:06
Agreed, but there arguments for "on foot" as well, especially if you don't want to do the WoC Flying Circus (which I wish I had models for :(). Of all the options though, Daemonic Mount seems the weakest. You have Knights who already cause Fear so immunity to Fear only applies if you are leaving the unit. You get better AS, smaller profile (so fewer attacks at you) and a cheaper mount with the Chaos Steed. You get flying in addition to the fear for minimal cost (none if I recall?) with the Disc. And in any case, there are tactical limitations for being in a unit of Knights whose whole goal is to be in base to base with something every turn smashing things.

Drachen_Jager
04-08-2009, 23:30
You get flying in addition to the fear for minimal cost (none if I recall?) with the Disc.

All the godly mounts are the same price as the Demonic, 50 points.

Makaber
05-08-2009, 00:02
I use a Lord (want the Leadership) on a Daemonic Mount. I've been toying around with his gear for a while now, and I've landed on the following:

Chaos Lord
Mark of Tzeench
Daemonic Mount
Chaos Runesword
Amulet of Protection

Now, the Daemonic Mount is great for a couple of things in this regard. First of all, it's not god-specific, so I can give him a Mark of Tzeench for a 5+ Ward with the amulet, for a reasonable defense. It's Fear, so I can reliably charge fear causing stuff without autobreaking afterwards. Finally, it's Move 8", which is great for getting the jump on enemy cavalry. The Chaos Steed has neither of these, plus it does a lot less damage. 2 Strength 5 attacks are, after all, quite good. Of course, the one less armour is a bit of a bummer, but I find relying too heavily on armour gets you in a bad spot pretty fast.

I use my Lord, with the significant damage potential he has (6 Strength 6, almost always hitting on 3+, plus the Mount), coupled with the 8" movement, much like a monster. It works really well, last battle he bogged down a huge unit of Inner Circle Knights with Kurt Helborg, killed Kurt and a couple of Knights and bogged them down for a couple of rounds at a crucial stage of the battle.

If I don't need him to roam as a monster, he hides in a unit of Marauder footmen instead, ready to pounce out as a "fire brigade" of sort.

For me at least, the bog standard Daemonic Mount is working just fine.