PDA

View Full Version : Prince on star dragon OR L4 Archmage VS Dark elves

teafloy_the_damned
04-08-2009, 20:24
I'm in a bit of a pickle

I dont know what to go for.
I'm playing a dark elf player for the first time with my High elves and really dont know whether to go for a Prince on a star dragon or Archmage with ring of fury and forlarthans robe + D3 power dice banner and silver wand that he can choose his spells.

I know he hates magic so i'm expecting 2 L1 mages each with 2 dispell scrolls + Ring of hotek (the misscast ring)

The star dragon is just such a big target plus a large investment of points in a 2000pt battle.

When the Archmage leaves me some points spare to bolster the army plus with Lore of fire & Ring of fury, i can keep hurling 2d6 St4 spells at him till he runs our of dispell scrolls.

Looking at also using a large unit of swordmasters, a large unit of WL and padding out the rest with archers and a RPT.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

GenerationTerrorist
04-08-2009, 20:54
Put your Archmage on an Eagle, and you have a nice mobile spellcaster. I used to run a Lvl4 this way and he worked better than a Star Dragon Lord ever did for me.

teafloy_the_damned
04-08-2009, 21:10
Put your Archmage on an Eagle, and you have a nice mobile spellcaster. I used to run a Lvl4 this way and he worked better than a Star Dragon Lord ever did for me.

I've used that very effectly vs Brettonians but Vs pratically an entire army of repeating crossbows?

Since he's mounted you couldn't take folarthians robe, he'd be turned into a elven porcupine surley?

Peachtacular
04-08-2009, 21:11
If you know he's only bring magic defense, and that defense is incredibly effective, I would skip out on magic altogether. Take a prince with Bow of the Seafearer, Armor of Caledor and a Great Weapon. Also take a Noble on Eagle with Reaver Bow and a Noble on steed with the Star Lance. With these guys, a couple RBT and a unit of archers you should be able to shoot him to bits. The high strength magic bows and big bolt shots from RBTs can take down Hydras/Dragon, while also having the versatility, combined with the archers, to mow down troops. Concentrate first on his archers to avoid retaliation, and then lay waste to his expensive elite infantry.

With the remaining points, take your big units of infantry and a couple small units of Dragon Princes as flankers.

It may be considered unfriendly to tailor your list in this way, but it would be extremely effective to make 300pts (15%) of your opponent's army worthless.

danny7865
04-08-2009, 21:53
I'd have a level 2 taking the ring of corin.Then the archmage is back in the game......especially if you give him the staff of immune to the first miscast.

Condottiere
05-08-2009, 08:36
Perhaps if you can create an army list that's totally unexpected, since he may be trying to predict which way you'll jump, and if he reads Warseer posts, he may tailor his army to take advantage of the weaknesses of your probable choices.

The SkaerKrow
05-08-2009, 12:39
Barring a freak accident, High Elf Dragons are always more effective than High Elf magic. Go with the Star Dragon.

teafloy_the_damned
05-08-2009, 12:57
Thanks for the tips so far, siding towards a kitted out tank prince on star dragon, a nice suped up unit of Swordmasters, standard of ballance (BSB, Battle banner, another nobel with -1 to hit gem) and the rest of the points on a butload of archers and bolt throwers

Hammer and the anvil job

and if he reads Warseer posts, he may tailor his army to take advantage of the weaknesses of your probable choices.

I hope not! :p (looks closley at each person on warseer)

fubukii
05-08-2009, 16:20
as a dark elf player i can tell you i am much more scared of a star dragon on the table then a archmage and a pair of level 2s. The protection granted from 1 scroll caddy A few null tailsmens and the ring of hotek is pretty Solid, and stops most magic phases (minus indirect spells)

go with the dragon he is fast, and his flame template works wonders on Dark elf infantry ( my poor black guard :() Not to mention he is pretty beast in cc too