PDA

View Full Version : Stand And Shoot @ Double Charge Question.

goatfarmer03
04-08-2009, 20:39
A unit gets charged by 2 enemy units (at the front), one is closer than half of its charge range and the other is not.
-Do you get to shoot at the one that is farther than half its charge range?
Or would it be decided by the order the opponent chooses to charge in. aka He charges with the closer one (which cannot be shot at), and gets the charged unit in close combat. Therefore it cannot shoot at the next unit that charges even if they are farther than half charge range.

PS: Can a Hydra breathe fire in close combat?

Drachen_Jager
04-08-2009, 20:42
"If a unit carrying missile weapons is charged and ALL the units charging it are outside half their move away... Troops can shoot at one of the units as they advance."

It's pretty clear.

P.S. Not unless specified in the army book.

goatfarmer03
04-08-2009, 21:11
Thanks DJ,
At work with a WHF friend of mine, and I was dumbfounded that it had never happened in one of my games before.

Signius
04-08-2009, 23:02
Since this question is related and it seems silly to start another thread I thought I'd ask here. With stand and shoot, the BRB, on page 20, last sentence of the first paragraph under "move chargers" it states to resolve stand and shoot reactions before measuring to see if the unit makes it into contact. Why would this be the case? You have to measure in order to determine if the greater than half range stipulation is satisfied or not. I mean obviously you can just measure anyway, but it seems weird that you'd need to do something in direct conflict with RAW.

Drachen_Jager
04-08-2009, 23:04
Because if the charge is failed you still get to S&S.

Also I guess because you don't want people to start moving their units until S&S is complete in case the unit fails a panic test.

Signius
05-08-2009, 06:25
Right, but you don't know if you get to stand and shoot until you measure. If they are too close, then no stand and shoot. Which is why I'm confused.

Milgram
05-08-2009, 08:44
you just measure half of the movement of the charging unit. this means you do not measure whether they get in contact - even though if they get in contact with 50% of their movement, you will not have to measure again afterwards. :)

Blaklabel
05-08-2009, 15:17
Right, but you don't know if you get to stand and shoot until you measure. If they are too close, then no stand and shoot. Which is why I'm confused.

You can declare stand and shoot at an enemy 1" away from you. You obviously won't get it but you can declare it. Then in the mover charges phase you see that they are under half their charge thus you don't get S&S and it becomes a hold reaction.

Signius
05-08-2009, 23:51
you just measure half of the movement of the charging unit. this means you do not measure whether they get in contact - even though if they get in contact with 50% of their movement, you will not have to measure again afterwards. :)

Ok, this is what I was planning to do, but none of the people I'm playing with have played before (my group of 40k players) so I was unsure how it is usually run.

You can declare stand and shoot at an enemy 1" away from you. You obviously won't get it but you can declare it. Then in the mover charges phase you see that they are under half their charge thus you don't get S&S and it becomes a hold reaction.

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about the Move Chargers phase, not the declare charge reactions phase.