PDA

View Full Version : 2250 WOC, Mono-Tzeentch

mikepm07
04-08-2009, 23:23
This is my first stab at the WoC book, and I am deadset on making a Mono-God list. Tzeentch appeals to me the most, out of all the Gods, so I tried to make a somewhat competitive Tzeentch list. Being an ex-Empire player, I'm very concerned about the # of troops I'll have on the field. Will this be enough?

LORDS/HEROES: 911
Sorcerer Lord ... 385
+ Level 4
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Armor of Damnation
+ Spell Familiar
+ Talisman of Protection
+ Sword of Might

Sorcerer ... 206
+ Level 2
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Chaos Armor
+ Barded Steed
+ Collar of Khorne (Ring of Tzeentch, whatever)
+ Sword of Battle

Sorcerer ... 135
+ Level 2
+ Chaos Armor
+ Dispel Scroll
+ Dispel Scroll

Wulfrik the Wanderer ... 185

CORE: 489
11 Chaos Marauders ... 87
+ Shields
+ Light Armor
+ Flails

11 Chaos Warriors ... 262
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Full Command
+ Shields
+ Halberds
+ War Banner

5 Marauder Horsemen ... 80
+ Flails
+ Shields

5 Chaos Hounds

5 Chaos Hounds

Special: 700
11 Chosen ... 280
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Standard Bearer
+ Banner of Rage
+ Champion
+ Favor of the Gods
+ Shields
+ Halberds

Chaos Chariot ... 120

5 Chaos Knights ... 280
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Standard Bearer (20)
+ Blasted Standard (40)

RARE: 130
Warshrine ... 130

The idea here is that the Sorcerer Lord bunkers down with the Chosen, who, combined with Favor of the Gods and the Shrine, are going to be a tough nut to crack. The Sorcerer Lord will be trying to cast Gateway while still being a strong close combat character.

The 2x Scroll Sorcerer will go with the Warriors, and jump out if need be. The Mounted Sorcerer will ride with the knights, lending magic and close combat ability to the unit, in addition to Magic Resistance (should shut down Spirit of the Forges.) Both Mages will chose Death, and hopefully one of them will get the spell that lets one of my unit cause fear so I can make up for the lack of Mark of Slaanesh. Also, Death just seems like a better choice for level 2's as they can cast the whole lore on 3 dice.

Wulfrik will enter a table edge with the Marauders, either being able to go for Warmachines or put pressure on the Flanks of my oponent.

The Chariot and Knights smash things, plain and simple, while the Horsemen try not to take too many Leadership tests...

What do you guys think? I like the idea of taking Wulfrik with a Tzeentch list as Tzeentch is all about trickery, and having a unit + hero appear on any table edge certainly ties in with that.

It should be noted that neither I, nor anyone I play with, have any qualms with Special Characters (except maybe Teclis and 9/10 Daemon characters ...)

I want this list to be competitive, but I'm not trying to grind my opponents into the dust every time.

Thoughts? Could use some help. Thanks!

Unuhexium
05-08-2009, 00:12
Gotta say that this is actually the first time someone (imo) use a SC in a sort of fluffy way. Creds on that! Normaly I despise SCs and everything about them.

MoT gives a pretty ok flat survivability.

Consider giving the horsemen a musician.

What do you mean by "Both mages"? You only have one unmarkes sorcerer who can choose LoD. The other guys are stuck with LoT.

Time of Madness
05-08-2009, 00:22
Well it's a nice effort, but I think you've gone a little character crazy.

The list will work with a single level 4 backed up by a level 2 as long as you take the proper equipment.

For the level 2 I like a couple of different set ups. Here's the ones I like.

Level 2
- MoT
- Infernal puppet
- Enchanted Shield
- Conjoined Homunculus
= 190pts

or

Level 2
- MoT
- Power Familiar (+1 casting dice)
- Dispel Scroll
- Conjoined Homunculus
= 190pts

With the points saved on characters you should be able to fill up on some more units.

If you really want to have some fun give the chosen the book of secrets and the banner of wraith. This gives you another 2 spells per turn ;)

Hope that helps.
Time of Madness

mikepm07
05-08-2009, 00:47
Can you not take Lore of Death when Tzeentch marked? I was taking the Tzeentch mark just for the +1 cast and improved Ward Save.

Are two casters really enough? I feel like I will be struggling to get much through with only 8 power dice.

I could see it working with the Banner of Wrath + Book of Secrets option, but I really wanted to give the Chosen Frenzy so that they would be ITP, and Favor of the Gods is really necessary to get them a desirable role on Eye of the Gods.

I would love to drop a level 2 if I thought I would have enough magic. If I dropped a level 2 I'd also have to find a home for the dispel scrolls.

Unuhexium
05-08-2009, 06:55
It's at the bottom of page 106 in the WoC armybook. "Sorcerers with a Mark of chaos always generate spells from the Lore appropriate to the mark; for example, a Sorcerer with the Mark of Tzeentch generate spells from the Lore of Tzeentch."

mikepm07
05-08-2009, 10:57
Ok I made some big changes to the list based on your comments. How's this?

Comes to 2248:

LORDS/HEROES: 765
Sorcerer Lord 430
+ Level 4
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Bloodcurdling Roar
+ Disc of Tzeentch
+ Chaos Rune Sword
+ Armor of Morisleb
+ Spell Familiar

Sorcerer 170
+ Level 2
+ Chaos Armor
+ Power Familiar
+ Dispel Scroll

Wulfrik the Wanderer 185

CORE: 563
11 Chaos Marauders 55
+ Flails

12 Chaos Warriors 288
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Shields
+ Halberds
+ Standard Bearer
+ Banner of Wrath
+ Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen 80
+ Flails
+ Light Armor

5 Marauder Horsemen 80
+ Flails
+ Light Armor

5 Chaos Hounds 30

5 Chaos Hounds 30

SPECIAL: 790
11 Chosen 330
+ Mark of Tzeentch
+ Shields
+ Halberds
+ Standard Bearer
+ Banner of Rage
+ Champion
+ Favor of the Gods

Chaos Chariot 120

Chaos Chariot 120

5 Chaos Knights 220
+ Mark of Tzeentch

RARE: 130
Warshrine 130

So the same basic idea, except now the Sorc. Lord is on a disc. I configured him so that he can still be a casting powerhouse (with a 5/6 chance of getting Gate), but now he is able to charge and break certain units when the opportunity presents itself. I'd make sure not to get in combat with any magical weapons.

The other Mage takes Death and goes with the Chosen (who should be a great bunker ... I wouldn't want to attack them.)

The Warriors march up with the Chosen, with the Shrine in tow.

Dogs screen if needed, if not they harass with the horsemen and Wulfrik.

The Chariots assist the knights in smashing stuff.

Also, I came up for an interesting fluff idea for Wulfrik:

Erik, Champion of the Deceitful One:

Tzeentch has bestowed his favor upon Erik in an particularly unusual way. Zacharius, and his loyal crew of Norse Marauders, are blessed by Tzeentch before any military campaign. Tzeentch often changes Eric and his crew to resemble merchants, city guards, or even soldiers of the enemy! When the time is right, Erik and his men reveal their true colors, right in the enemies' most vulnerable spot.

Unuhexium
05-08-2009, 13:36
I don't really have any comments for this. Wether the warshrine is worth its points or not can be discussed at length, but the list seems to have a good synergy now.

Just be carefull with what you do and who you charge with your sorc.lord. A caster is still a caster no matter how much armour and weapons you give him. I usually gear my sorc.lord purely for magic and with a good deal of protective gear. You could fly him up along a flank and meet up with Wulfric and his pals when they arrive to help them with any warmachines and to make your opponent fight back to back.

mikepm07
05-08-2009, 20:35
Am I correct in thinking I can cast Gate while in combat? So long as I can draw LOS to the unit?

Unuhexium
06-08-2009, 00:02
you can't cast it into combat, but you can cast all tzeentch-spells except flickering fire without needing LoS

mikepm07
06-08-2009, 00:16
you can't cast it into combat, but you can cast all tzeentch-spells except flickering fire without needing LoS

Sorry I meant can I cast OUT of combat (i.e. my Sorcerer is in combat with some Knights) and then target an unengaged unit.

Basically, I want to know if my Sorcerer can, say, charge a Warmachine crew, and continue to cast spells in the same turn that he charged.

Unuhexium
06-08-2009, 00:24
i reckon he can. on the other hand it was only recently that i discovered i didn't need LoS to cast a gateway. i'm not that good at the exact wording when it comes to magic