PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Malcador?

Brother Alexos
05-08-2009, 05:38
Is it a Super-heavy or regular cause FW lists it as both.

DuskRaider
05-08-2009, 06:11
It's considered a Super Heavy, since it has structure points... Although truthfully, I'd compare it more to a Land Raider, as it's not quite up to par with other SHs, at least for the points.

But it does portray an ancient and obsolete tank quite well, wouldn't you agree?

Marshal Argos
05-08-2009, 07:47
As been said, it's a SH. In fact the rules for it always list it as a SH. I believe your confusion comes from the fact that you can find it under both their Super Heavy section and their normal IG Tank section.

Ironmonger
05-08-2009, 08:13
Malcador Heavy Tank. Yes, technically it's a super heavy because it has 2 SP.

SonofUltramar
05-08-2009, 08:29
As DuskRaider said it isn't a true super heavy, more like a resilient battle tank due to it's Structure points. If you are consider getting one I would say go for it as it's a fantastic model, although I highly recommend the Battle Cannon or Annihilator.

Hope that helps

Jono

Epicenter
05-08-2009, 10:50
It's considered a Super Heavy, since it has structure points... Although truthfully, I'd compare it more to a Land Raider, as it's not quite up to par with other SHs, at least for the points.

It's curious you say that. I've always thought the Malcador is a better superheavy tank than the Macharius, which really isn't worth it for the points. At least the Malcador has the Defender version, which can tote enough good weapons and fire them at sufficent numbers of different targest to start approaching being worth it.

Neither compare favorably to "real" superheavies like Baneblades, however, so I agree there.

Brother Alexos
05-08-2009, 18:39
Thanks, I plan on using one or two for an infantry support vehicle for games of Apocalypse, because with four heavy bolters, itll kill alot of my opponents CSM

DuskRaider
06-08-2009, 07:16
Actually 5 Heavy Bolters on the Defender. And I'd say the Malcador isn't as durable as the Macharius, mainly due to its engine damage rules. The armour on it isn't the best, but I can say that hands-down its my favorite tank chassis.

Like I said, the design is very ancient, it actually predates the Leman Russ (and may actually predate the Unification), and I think that although the point cost is a bit too high for its capabilities, its rules and design marvelously show the tank's age.

I'd say pick what duty you need your Malcadors to fulfill. I personally have two Defenders with Autocannon side sponsons coupled with the 5 Heavy Bolters, they're brilliant at mowing down enemy infantry, and the Demolisher also performs this task well.

The other two Malcadors are well rounded, I have a Battle Cannon Malcador equipped with Lascannon side sponsons as a dedicated anti-armour tank. I still haven't gotten an Annihilator, but I plan on it.

You also have the options of the Valdor and Minotaur. They're pretty self explanatory if you look at them. The Valdor is a dedicated sniper tank and pretty much a ramped up Destroyer Tank Hunter, except it has a single side sponson. I'd recommend the Heavy Flamer, much better at deterring most infantry. The Minotaur is massed artillery in one platform, but it has NO defense guns whatsoever, so you'd need to bring support for it (I'd suggest a Hellhound or normal Leman Russ). I have one of each and I can tell you, even if I never use them in a game I still don't regret getting them, they're beautiful models.

mughi3
06-08-2009, 11:13
I am more of a fan of the macharius for the light super heavy tanks both in the looks and performance department.

Havock
06-08-2009, 15:34
The Malcador and Macharius are very good if you considr the following:
You can use them in a 1800-2000 pts game without unbalancing the thing too much.

Atherakhia
06-08-2009, 15:47
Malcador? That's a Spyrer isn't it? ;)