PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Archaon and Cav list (competitive)

Angelust
05-08-2009, 05:35
Archaon
Sorc - Steed, 2 scrolls
Marauder Horsemen 3x5 - Flails, Mark of Slannesh
Hounds 5x5
Warriors 1x15 - Mark of Slannesh, Shields, Halberd, Full Command, Rapt-stan
Knights 3x5 - Mark of Khorne

2246 pts, 3 dispel dice, 2 scrolls

Hey all. I usually play my WoC in casual games, but I've been forced to play some very competitive players recently because of lack of opponents. Dark Elf, Daemons, and lots of WAAC-mindedness coupled with so-so armies.

I'd like a list in my army-book for those times when I just need to have my A-game list on the fly against "that guy."

This is the best I've come up with so far with what I've got...

The five units of hounds act as screens and fast-cav/scout/flier chasers, the marauders act as dedicated fast-cav/flier chasers and possibly supporting in a combined charge if the opportunity comes up.

The Knights are the wrecking balls, while the warriors are a tarpit unit that will house Archaon in the first couple rounds if necessary. They'll have MR2, and rerollable break checks with 1s and doubles being insane courage.

The sorceror either goes in the warriors or a knight unit and is basically a scroll caddy.

Archaon will do whatever he needs to do depending on the army, i.e. buff units until they're in range, or go and terror-bomb low LD units or set up good charges/over-runs, etc...

What do you guys think? My biggest doubt is on the warrior squad, as their M4 can really hamstring my whole army. However, I'm not sure if adding another unit of knights will add anything to the list, or whether I should just add a chariot + exalted in a chariot or something...

Or maybe put my sorceror in a chariot and get another unit of knights...

So confused. Any advice will be appreciated!

pfishy98
05-08-2009, 06:04
are you sure want archaon at 2500? hes over 20% of your army there and with three units of knights as well, that doesnt leave any room for any mistakes. one slipe and there goes your game. no chance of a draw here.

Angelust
05-08-2009, 07:52
Well, the whole force really revolves around Archaon. With Archaon's maneuverability and resilience, I think I'd have to make a pretty serious mistake to get him into a fight that he can't handle (i.e. allowing him to get charged by a Blood Thirster or whatever).

The one thing I would really fear is Slaans or Archmages with lore of metal, hopefully the scrolls can stop any major mojo on turn 1, while Archaon and his unit have MR2. After that, I imagine that there's likely to be combat by my turn two, unless they're playing an army that specifically prevents this (defensive armies with scouts and skirmishers to march-block).

I'm considering dropping the warriors unit for:

Upgrade my scroll caddy to a chariot for US5 goodness
Add chariot of khorne
Add a couple spawn

Gaargod
05-08-2009, 11:11
Definitely lose the warriors. The sorc can get a horsey to hide with the knights (or hide in a wood, whatever)

Give all the knight units a banner. They're tough and hard hitting, but its 20pts to really ensure you win.
With the remaining pts from the warriors, get another sorc with 2 scrolls on a mount.
This should give you a very solid magic defense (5DD, 4 scrolls and MR2 on a knight unit).

The alternative thing to do is just drop the warriors and get another unit of 5 khorne knights :D

chippyman64
05-08-2009, 12:31
drop MOK your just going to get lured into woods

Slayerthane
05-08-2009, 13:43
I would get some blocks of marauders for CR, but that's just my preference. You have plenty of hammers but no anvils. Spawns would be good too, for tying up units.

Angelust
05-08-2009, 19:22
gaargod - The reason I'm usually hesitant to give units a banner unless necessary is because I'm leery of the 100pts they give up when captured. That, plus the 20 pts. Hm...60 pts to kit all my knights with standards...

Chippyman64 - You don't think the hounds and horsemen are enough to chase off the baiters? I know Archaon by himself with immunity to difficult ground and 360 LOS can really put a threat on a big radius...

Slayer- I usually have nice blocks of marauders for SCR, but this list is meant to be kind of hard and fast hitting.

Edit: Modified list. What do you guys think.

Archaon
Sorceror - Chariot, 2x scrolls
Hounds 4x5
Marauder Horsemen 3x5 - flails, MoS
Knights 3x5 - MoK
Chariot - MoK
Spawn x2

Alternatively, I could remove the two spawn and chariot and get another scroll caddy on chariot + another unit of hounds...

Angelust
06-08-2009, 19:06
Just an update, I ran this list against an empire army with a couple wizards and a steam tank.

By turn 5, the only thing left on the board was the stank. I even forgot to include the Chariot with Mark of Khorne.

I'll need to test it out against some other lists, as a single Stank empire list isn't really all that competitive...

Slayerthane
06-08-2009, 19:28
I think the spawns would be a good replacement for the usual blocks for marauders since they can tie up a unit for a turn or two to allow you to charge in the flank or rear with another unit.

Angelust
06-08-2009, 21:16
More than their unbreakable-ness, the fact that they can charge 360` makes them really useful for attacking harassers. When they do get the charge, they'll usually survive to tie up a unit during their turn at least, which can be nice.

Also, I've found that they can be a great over-run speed-bump. Last game, I had a unit of 9 empire knights kill a unit of marauder horsemen, and over-run into a strategically placed spawn. Then on my turn, I charged that knight unit which was entangled up with the spawn, and the knights just demolished the empire knights before they could get any attacks off on the spawn.

It seems pretty useful for its points, though it does take a rare slot.

Kill-Freedom
07-08-2009, 05:18
Drop archaon and get a uber dragon lord

Themagician
13-08-2009, 21:50
nah uber dragin lords never do their points try kolek

Perigrine
13-08-2009, 23:07
I agree on dropping the unit of warriors they are out of place with the rest of your list, and will get literally left behind in the dust. If you want to get something that can hold up some units for a couple of turns try out some Dogres or a giant.

Maoriboy007
14-08-2009, 02:18
Last game, I had a unit of 9 empire knights kill a unit of marauder horsemen, and over-run into a strategically placed spawn. Then on my turn, I charged that knight unit which was entangled up with the spawn, and the knights just demolished the empire knights before they could get any attacks off on the spawn.

In this case, the empire knights get to atack the spawn first and then your chaos knights squash them.