PDA

View Full Version : doc_cthulhu's Tale of the Fantasy Painter log (skaven)

doc_cthulhu
05-08-2009, 07:11
As I've an insane amount of skavens just laying around I decided to take the verminlord from the horns and sign them up for this tale. Hoping that I can actually have them painted in some point. As the new armybook is just around the corner this also gives a nice little way to get to know them again.

I haven't done much yet. So this thread is currently more like a placeholder of what is to come. Hopefully...

Majorly WIP:
http://guildredemund.net/laurimaijala/minis/skavenWIP.jpg
I started with globadiers as I'm quite positive for them to be included in the new armybook. I also like the models. They're old and interesting. And a great way to try out dipping...

Queekvondrak
07-08-2009, 02:18
likehow the red and skin contrast each other on another note what is dipping and i know there still a huge wip but are u going to try to take a little bit of that rust off its looking a bit heavy

doc_cthulhu
07-08-2009, 04:24
Dipping is just what it sound to be. Dipping them into a "wash"-like paint that builds up the shadows. These guys are now dipped and look just stupid. :D I have to work on the whole idea of dipping...

And yes. There was no metal in the rust areas as I took the picture. So that has changed. I'll update the process during the weekend.

doc_cthulhu
08-08-2009, 08:23
First result of dipping. The one in the left is dipped. And I'm not too thrilled about the outcome.

http://guildredemund.net/laurimaijala/minis/warseer3/01.jpg

Dipping seems to make the mini shinier which is okay with the poison wind globe but not so okay with everything else. Well the tutorial said I'd have to work on the mini after dipping. So here's hoping they'll turn out great.

The dipped five:
http://guildredemund.net/laurimaijala/minis/warseer3/02.jpg

One another thing - it takes quite a long time for the dip to dry up. And it tends to stick into everything. Getting it of the fingers is a task of it's own magnitude.

Queekvondrak
10-08-2009, 18:16
they look pretty good cept like you said it is rather shiny especially on the cloak makes it looklike a rubbery trench coat like thing if thats the right word. what else are you gonna paint for this month due to the fact that thats only 50 pts

Satan
10-08-2009, 18:25
Remember to always apply the dip with a brush. Secondly, after finishing your mini you'll need to spray it with a protective matte varnish. That'll kill the gloss.

unwanted
10-08-2009, 18:42
Do what Satan says :D

And you're off to a good start, although the only reason I see in dipping anything other than Slaves, Clanrats and perhaps Plague Monks is for keeping the appearance of the entire army consisten. If you won't use a brush, I have seen people use a power-drill to spin a dipped model, thereby flinging excess dip off. If you try that, secure the model very well to the drill and do the spinning in an empty bucket.

doc_cthulhu
11-08-2009, 04:50
Thanks for the advices! The drill-trick was introduced to me by a game-shopkeeper but I still think I'll be using a brush. This whole "dipping" process was more or less an experiment.

As to what I'm going to paint after these I've not yet decided. I've a rat swarm in process and will probably try to speed-paint a unit of clan rats. We'll see... Hopefully.

Satan
11-08-2009, 07:26
Shameless plug for my own models, but check out the plog in my sig. Those daemons are all dipped and I'm very pleased with the results.