PDA

View Full Version : Engine of the gods help

darthham
05-08-2009, 18:41
I was wondering if the Engine of the gods give the priest on top an extra spell or is it just an other power and dispell dice

thanks in advance

darthham

willowdark
05-08-2009, 18:53
Dice only. But you can take the Plaque of Tepok (sp?) for the extra spell effectively bringing a Lvl3 wizard as a hero. I think that's pretty sweet combined with a Slann, but Heavens isn't strong enough by itself so might not be worth it when only running skink priests.

It really depends on your view of Heavens.

darthham
05-08-2009, 19:03
ok thanks for the help

nosferatu1001
05-08-2009, 20:06
The rules for EotG do specifically state it is only "for the purpose of generating power and dispel dice, and when determining the maximum number of dice that can be used" - the "countsw as level 3) bit is what confuses people - it does, but only in specific ways.

pcgamer72
05-08-2009, 20:26
Not totally related to the original question but...

It says something like "one wizard level higher than he is" right? So if he were to miscast and lose a wizard level twice, thus not technically being a wizard anymore. Does he still get to count as a level 1?

PeG
05-08-2009, 20:43
He should be really unlucky for that to happen but I would say that he stops being a wizard when he reaches lvl 0. The ability does not make wizards out of ordinary characters it makes wizards more powerful.

Damocles8
05-08-2009, 23:32
He should be really unlucky for that to happen but I would say that he stops being a wizard when he reaches lvl 0. The ability does not make wizards out of ordinary characters it makes wizards more powerful.

I'd disagree with that.....the miscast makes him slightly less powerful, I'd give my opponent the benefit on this one....

nosferatu1001
06-08-2009, 10:45
I'd treat it as an Arcane item: once he is level "0" he cannot use arcane items any longer. An EotG is about as arcane as you get.....!

However that probably isn't how I'd let an opponent play it, I'd prob let them count as a level 0/1 and therefore still use it, although probably won't have any spells to cast unless they took Tepok.

snowywlf
06-08-2009, 13:13
I personally think this is an extremely grey area. I agree with most posters that you should be sporting about it and probably let them use the Skink Priest as a Level 1 Wizard (if they have Plaque of Tepok, otherwise they wouldnt have any spells). After all, TWO miscasts suffering from that wretched result? He needs a break. :)

The Lizardmen FAQ says something about this (very indirectly)

Q. Page 55. Are the effects of the Engine of the
Gods treated as a bound spell carried by the
Skink Priest? Will a spell cast by the Priest stop
the effects of the Engine? And will any effect of
the Engine dispel a previously cast spell by the
Skink Priest?

A. No. Although the Engine of the Gods can
only be used so long as the Priest is alive, it
isnít any sort of magic item, and itís not him
thatís casting the spells.

While I can still see arguments for him not being able to cast anything, I think this lends itself a little more to the thought that he wouldnt lose the +1 Level for Power Dice and Dispel Dice. Since the Engine of the Gods is very distinctly not an Arcane Item, he can still use it and by implication still receive it's benefits.

EvC
06-08-2009, 13:49
Quite clear, this one. He counts as a level 1 Wizard for the number of dice he generates and can cast with. However, he cannot cast spells, as he counts as a 0-level non-wizard and so can't cast spells, and can't use arcane items (which is the only way he could have a spell).

However as snowywlf says the Engine isn't an Arcane item, so he can keep on burning.

nosferatu1001
06-08-2009, 14:29
.....and fingers crossed there will be an (unlucky) vamp on dragon nearby to take the hits as well ;)