PDA

View Full Version : 2k Dwarves with a slayer twist (and a lemon)

Czevak
08-01-2006, 19:19
OK.

Though woe is me to admit it, I currently have a slayer host as per storm of chaos.

Now the new dwarves are upon us I'd like to flesh out my (now invalid) slayer host out into a decent army with as little work as possible in the beginning - I'd like an army I can play fairly swiftly.

I've come up with the following list for 2000pts. Obviously, I already have the slayers and Long Drong's boys, anything else will be new and therefore both money and time consuming to add.

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated before I run out and buy. Thanks!

2000pts:

Heroes:
Thane; Oathstone, Shield, Rune of Brotherhood, Rune of Adamant 153pts
Dragonslayer, MR swiftness, cleaving*2 115pts
Dragonslayer, MR Swiftness, Fury, Cleaving 120pts
Runesmith, Shield, Spellbreaking, Shielding and Stone 127pts

Core;
12 Warriors, Shields, Full Command 133pts
11 Longbeard Rangers,2handed Weapons, Full Command, Ranger 190pts
16 Thunderers 224pts

Special;
24 Slayers, Standard, Musician 282pts

RARE
15 Long drong's slayer pirates 255pts
Organ Gun 120pts

Total 2001pts

I am aware that I don't need two dragonslayers - I like to have them leading the units or marauding, though I am thinking of going with three smaller slayer units.

The Thane goes with the scouting longbeards and the gunline (what little there is of it) aranges itself behind the slayers. The warriors should hopefully shield the slayers from too much missile fire, though its the job of the rangers to stop anything too nasty.

As I'm sure you've worked out, this army can be made using the battalion box + slayers (and a runesmith).

So, what have I got wrong - I know there's too many slayers, but just think of it as 'themed'. Thanks.

oma
08-01-2006, 19:24
thaught MR runes was onely 1 per army, isnt it?

and long drong slayers? much better of taking the goblin hewer in my thaughts..

Czevak
08-01-2006, 20:44
Yup, you're correct, my mistake - MR are only 1 per army, I'll change the cleaving*2 dragonslayer to have...

Maybe 5 srunes of speed?? is this possibel - I9 dragonslayer?

hmm

static grass
09-01-2006, 12:22
Slayer list is still legal. Anything else to the contrary is lies. There is nothing in the dwarf book saying slayers are invalid.

The slayer list is in the storm of chaos army book and not invalidated by the new dwarf book.

Someone posted a big fat lie about them being invalidated months ago and everyone went for it hook, line and sinker.

Czevak
09-01-2006, 23:13
Actually, as the list references a now defunct wrhammer armies book I think it probably is invalid - I suppose we'll be waiting a couple of years for an official answer from GW.

Still, its not a huge loss, as it was a bit **** to start with.

Bran Dawri
10-01-2006, 00:11
2000pts:

Heroes:
Thane; Oathstone, Shield, Rune of Brotherhood, Rune of Adamant 153pts

***Give him a greatweapon.

Dragonslayer, MR swiftness, cleaving*2 115pts
Dragonslayer, MR Swiftness, Fury, Cleaving 120pts

***Can't have the same master rune twice; I suggest using the first one without any runes at all or with MRO Kragg, RO cleaving, RO snorri spangelhelm; he'll be a lot cheaper

Runesmith, Shield, Spellbreaking, Shielding and Stone 127pts

***Put him in a unit, and forget about the rune of shielding.

Core;
12 Warriors, Shields, Full Command 133pts

***I wouldn't give a 12-strong unit full command; they're too fragile. In fact, I'd increase the unit size to 20.

11 Longbeard Rangers,2handed Weapons, Full Command, Ranger 190pts

***Same as for the warriors. Give them throwing axes; S5 move-and fire (not to mention stand and shoot) is tech. If you do give them full command, at least take advantage of the magic standard they can have.

16 Thunderers 224pts

***I'd use a unit of 10-12 max. Otherwise you're either taking up way too much space in your deployment zone or paying precious points for handguns that can't fire due to being in back ranks. Whatever you do, give 'em shields.

Special;

***Good, though I'd include 1-2 giantslayers in each unit to issue/accept challenges while your dragonslayers get down to the business of slaughtering RnF.

RARE
15 Long drong's slayer pirates 255pts
Organ Gun 120pts

Total 2001pts

I am aware that I don't need two dragonslayers - I like to have them leading the units or marauding, though I am thinking of going with three smaller slayer units.

The Thane goes with the scouting longbeards and the gunline (what little there is of it) aranges itself behind the slayers. The warriors should hopefully shield the slayers from too much missile fire, though its the job of the rangers to stop anything too nasty.

As I'm sure you've worked out, this army can be made using the battalion box + slayers (and a runesmith).

So, what have I got wrong - I know there's too many slayers, but just think of it as 'themed'. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with a themed army, and AFAIK, the slayer list hasn't been invalidated with the new book; it's merely shifted to this book (though you still use the general profiles and special rules as written in the SoC book, so no T5 dragonslayers).

spaint2k
17-06-2007, 14:42
Unfortunately, other than saying that I like the original poster's idea (and have had similar thoughts myself about making a slayer heavy dwarf army), I have nothing else to contribute on the original thread other than to comment on this sig:

"Exceptio probat regulam" does not translate to: "The exception proves the rule."
Probare means "to test", not "to prove".

Prove used to mean "test" in English as well. As in "proving grounds".

Thank you.

Steve

TheDarkArg
18-06-2007, 02:24
Your thane can't have both the oathstone and join the unit of rangers. Check the listing on it. It specifically lists, warriors, longbeards, etc and NOT rangers. So drop the oathstone or move him. If you drop the oathstone, give him a pistol so he can shoot with the rangers.