PDA

View Full Version : Need woodelf armylist (2000pt) for fiancee to fight against me

Kburn
06-08-2009, 15:26
Hi, just a quick intro, I collect WoC, and has never played a fantasy game before, nor really plan to in the near future, however, I mainly paint them and have some sort of army. My fiancee is interested in woodelves, and we have a couple of wardancers painted up.

I need a woodelf armylist for her to play fun and fair games against me, based on my armylist. I hope the warseer community will help me with this. Just keep in mind to try not to include treemen/non-elvish troops, as she only likes elves.

My list is as follows:
Chaos Lord - Crown, Runesword, Shield, Dragon [680]
Sorcerer, Steed, Glaive, Scroll [151]
Sorcerer, Scroll x2 [135]
5 Horsemen, Flails, Musician [81]
5 Horsemen, Axe, Shield, Musician [86]
12 Warriors, Shields, Musician, SB [210]
5 Chosen, Great weapons, Musician, Standard [130]
5 Chaos Knights, Musician, SB [230]
5 Hounds [30]
5 Chaos Knights, Musician, SB [230]
5 Hounds [30]
Total : 1993

I'm concerned that nothing will break the dragon, and the knights are too powerful. I'm willing to change the items that they carry for a fairer game, but I must still use the knights and dragon, as I have already painstakingly painted them up. The main aim is that both lists are evenly matched and fun to play.

Thanks for the help!

willowdark
06-08-2009, 15:54
Wardancer Horde!

Wardancer Highborn;
Blades of Loec, Annoyance of Nets, Amaranthine Broach. (290)

Alter Noble;
La, shield, GW,
Helm of the Hunt, Hail of Doom Arrow. (158)

Noble BSB;
Stone of the Crystal Mere, Sword of Might. (150)

Scroll caddy;
Lvl1, 2 scrolls. (140)

2 x 10 Glade Guard (360)
2 x 5 Glade Riders w/ musicians (258)

3 x 8 Wardancers w/ full command (495)
6 Wild Riders w/ full command and the Warbanner (217)

Great Eagle.

Wardancer Highborn can handle the Dragon, though it might be best if she gets the charge to attack the Dragon first. Storm of Blade with st5 on the charge is nice. Amaranthine Broach won't protect her from the Runesword, but she'll have the Annoyance of Nets. Alternatively, she could take the Amber Pendant and might land that KB even when you charge.

Eagle and GR will redirect those Knights while the archers and the HoDA will clean up the hounds. Alter Noble and WR are fast enough to put pressure on your infantry. Wardancers can handle heavy armour.

I'd like my chances against your list with this one. But skirmishers and fast cav compliment your infantry and heavy cav/Dragon style. If she plays well she can gain a big advantage in the movement phase, and if she picks her fights responsibly she'll be strong in combat. But if she makes a mistake that you can capitalize on your reliable SCR and Knights will walk all over her. And of course you have the Dragon, but the Wardancer is a good weapon against that. these would make fun games.

Aceious
06-08-2009, 17:01
Well I cannot give you a list off the top of my head (no codex in front of me)
I can suggest using at least 1 unit of dryads. My wife plays wood elves- they are a very well rounded army so against chaos you may want to take advantage of some of those hard hitting units like tree-kin. A unit of 4 of those with a champ is awesome.
Wild riders and wardancers are a good choice too. For your core do 2 units of 10 glade guard, 1 unit of dryads (12+ with champ)- at least 2 units of 5 glade riders (their maneuverability makes them invaluable).
For rare a treeman might do well against chaos... waywatchers are great but they are pretty pricey and need that kill blow to be of good value.
She will want a spell singer with the scrolls, but I do not know about a bsb. The high born I would suggest as a wild rider or do the ubber shooty no armour saves -(bow of athel loren and those 25pt arrows).
Well good luck and happy gaming. :)

Angelust
06-08-2009, 17:30
Hm...I play both WE and WoC, so I might be able to help...

I would say for a balanced and fun list...

Standard Alter Nob (Great model btw) - GW, LA, Shield(I think), Helm, Hail of Doom, Alter kin
Spellweaver x2-3 (optional really) - deepwood sphere, cailingor's stave, scrolls maybe

Glade Guard 2x10 - Can provide some defense against your fast cav and hounds
Glade Riders 3x5 - Musicians

Wardancers x8 - No upgrades
Wardancers x8 - No upgrades
Wild Riders x5 - Musician (Maybe standard + warbanner)
Wild Riders x5 - Musician

Way watcher x5 - No upgrades
Eagle x1

A list along these lines will give most of your list a hard time, though that dragon will really top the balance against an all-elf wood elf army. One option is to use her own forest dragon with highborn, though it's not a particularly even match-up against a combat-chaos lord. If she'd be willing to use a treeman ancient with annoyance of netlings, than the problem would be solved however :-)

willowdark
06-08-2009, 17:40
With the Spear of Twilight, Annoyance of Nets and the Stone of the Crystal mere both a Dragon Rider and a Wild Rider Highborn have a solid chance to lock that Chaos Dragon in combat quickly and land that KB. Both have a better chance of catching the Beast early but on average will need two or more rounds of combat to score the Killing Blow. A Wardancer will need time to catch him but will on average score that KB in the first round.

I'd say go either way, the two lords I mentioned here or the Wardancer from my first post. All can be solid weapons against a Dragon.

PeG
06-08-2009, 20:45
Dual trees +BSB will also work fine. Ancient with nettlings as General + another treeman. Add in a couple of units of dryads, I usually use them in units of 8 since they are skirmishers and I usually have difficulty to get more then 6-8 into combat. The rest of them will only hang around in the back which is not that useful.

Some glade guards to remove screens and other low armoured units.

maybe some scroll caddies or an alter hero with great weapon.

willowdark
06-08-2009, 20:48
OP asked for all Elf list ideas. Fiance doesn't care for the tree models.

Kburn
07-08-2009, 03:32
Thanks for the replies so far, they're really helpful and has given us a lot of ideas!

Willowdark- Your wardancer lord idea is awesome, to say the least, I'm pretty sure he'll kill the chaos lord pretty fast and break the dragon. How would you 'catch' the dragon though? The one way I can think of is to pack the army really tightly up and use a unit as bait, the other way is to take a ton of spellsingers and surf the lord into charging range

The only problem is when the dragon flees and regroups, what can handle it or kill it, since KB doesn't work on it, and you can't challenge it anymore?
Also, does the wardancer highborn join a unit of wardancers for outnumbering bonuses?
If I'm not wrong, does the wardancers dance like this when fighting against knights (assuming the knights charged)-> use shadows coil for 3+ ward save, then use whirling death for KB the next round?

I don't think using a woodelf dragon will work, as the lord and his dragon will just slay the dragon easily and terror-autobreak the highborn and run him down, since annoyance does not extend to the dragon

Does anyone know where to get more varieties of wardancer models? On my last count, they had about 10 different models, and we like variety, so we need to find more.

Also, are the lists posted by Angelust and willowdark good for all-comers?

leighr3029
07-08-2009, 10:00
I really like the wardancer army list as well. The only thing iŽd probably change is dropping the battle standard bearer. maybe a wild rider noble would be good. or a wild rider general and wardancer noble. advantage here is the wild rider general will be able to get to the dragon with much more ease (18š move) and then still chase it down. just challenging the dragon will mean you will probably win the first round of combat as you are already at +3.

also I think he meant 3*10 glade riders as there is 360pts allocated rather than 240pts. I personally only like 2 units of glade guard.

as for models you might be able to find old wardancer models on Ebay. alternatively witch elf models might be suitable and maybe demontees. theyŽd probably need some conversion though but thats half the fun isnŽt it.

as for how to take down the dragon if you donŽt catch it the only real option wood elves have for taking down big guys is treemen. the nobles and general will have a good crack though. If she doesnŽt like the warhammer treemen look at the lord of the rings Ent. if she doesnŽt like that then live without it. when sheŽs fighting the dragon put a unit of cav around behind it so it dies when it runs through them.

as for your questions
1 - yes wardancer general joins wardancers. this is for outnumbering, bolstering that unit and for safety
2 - fighting knights it depends on the individual situation but if charged iŽd probably do the 4+ ward save (ward saves do not accumalate) and then killing blow. if charging iŽd do +1 attack (as you are at S4) and then killing blow.

PeG
07-08-2009, 11:07
As for the WE dragon they have an item that gives a 3+ ward which also protects the mount. The only downside is that the item is destroyed if it fails. Still good against a few high S, high damage attacks bt useless against for example gobbo archers.

willowdark
07-08-2009, 12:27
Thanks for the replies so far, they're really helpful and has given us a lot of ideas!

Willowdark- Your wardancer lord idea is awesome, to say the least, I'm pretty sure he'll kill the chaos lord pretty fast and break the dragon. How would you 'catch' the dragon though? The one way I can think of is to pack the army really tightly up and use a unit as bait, the other way is to take a ton of spellsingers and surf the lord into charging range

She just needs to keep the pressure on. You know He's a danger to you so if she stays still in about the middle of the board you'll have to keep you distance. At the Battle Glade (check the sig) we call this "damage interdiction," or creating a threat zone. I do it with TKin all the time. Sometimes you don't have to kill something to make a difference in the game. If your too afraid to join the main battle for fear of moving into her charge range: advantage Wood Elves.

Mostly She's gonna want to stay behind the lines at first and wait to see which flank you'll try to advance down. Eventually she'll get close enough where anywhere you land will be in her charge range, unless you just run away from her.

The only problem is when the dragon flees and regroups, what can handle it or kill it, since KB doesn't work on it, and you can't challenge it anymore?

Ideally she'd want to be close enough to shoot you with her archers at st4. Enough lite arms fire will bring down a Dragon eventually. If not she might have some Wardancers available in the area. Even if it rallies it will sit there for a turn, enough time to grab a charge. Storm of Blades should do it.

Planning ahead though, she could just set up a crossfire. Move a US5 unit behind the Dragon during that critical combat so when it breaks it will get distroyed.

Also, does the wardancer highborn join a unit of wardancers for outnumbering bonuses?

Yes, also protects him from missile fire.

If I'm not wrong, does the wardancers dance like this when fighting against knights (assuming the knights charged)-> use shadows coil for 3+ ward save, then use whirling death for KB the next round?

Yes. Do that and pray for a miracle. Wardancers will get thrashed by chaos Knights. Even if the front rank survives, which one or two models might, she won't do enough wounds back. She'll break and get run down, so don't let those Wardancers get charged.

I don't think using a woodelf dragon will work, as the lord and his dragon will just slay the dragon easily and terror-autobreak the highborn and run him down, since annoyance does not extend to the dragon

Yes. But like PeG said the Stone of the Crystal Mere protects the Dragon too.

Does anyone know where to get more varieties of wardancer models? On my last count, they had about 10 different models, and we like variety, so we need to find more.

Gamezone makes Wardancers, but only 2 and they might not look right next to your GW models. Either would make an awesome Lord model though.

Also, are the lists posted by Angelust and willowdark good for all-comers?

Yes, both lists have what it takes to compete in an evenly comped or friendly environment.

also I think he meant 3*10 glade riders as there is 360pts allocated rather than 240pts. I personally only like 2 units of glade guard.

Originally I had 3 units, but I was building for 2250. I changed it when I realized it was for 2000 pts but I forgot to change the point value. Fro this list I meant 2 x 10.

Kburn
07-08-2009, 15:08
Thanks for all the help again guys! Especially willowdark for patiently answering all my questions!

A few more questions and I should be done.

1) So how does she take down the chaos knights? What I can think of is that she'd shoot them the whittle them down to maybe 4 or 3 knights, then charge in the wardancers with KB at them? There might be a problem with shooting, as they're still at a 2+ armour save. The only other solution I can think of is to use a lord with arcane bodkins and the multi-shot bow to kill them all, but that eats up the only lord choice...

2) I'm curious about the wildrider idea. If I'm not reading it wrongly, do you put annoyance on the wildrider noble, then charge him in with a large unit of wildriders, gain +1 for BSB, +1 for standard, +1 for outnumbering?

willowdark
07-08-2009, 20:35
1) Only ever, EVER, in the flank. A frontal, or even a rear, assault will never generate enough kills to get through that AS, and the models that attack back will throw too much at her. Remember, Storm of Blades and Whirling Death will leave you with a 6+ Ward, and Ensorcelled weapons will deny her Forest Spirit saves, if she ever takes any.

2) +1 for standard, +1 for Warbanner and +1 for flank.

PeG
07-08-2009, 21:10
Although bow of loren and arcane bodkins looks like a good combo they dont really do that much damage. Sure they ignore armour saves but they are S3 which means that unless you are shooting at a low T target you will have problems with getting wounds.

Aryakin
31-08-2009, 18:31
Been playing a primarily Asrai WE army since i started warhammer fantasy (only sharing my hobby time with a VC army) and my primary oponent plays brettonians fairly religiously.

My standard list (forgive me codex is at home) tends to look similar to this:
Highborn on dragon (bow of loren bodkins)
spellsinger orb
spellsinger calingor staff

12 glade guard
6 scouts
6 scouts
5 glade riders
5 glade riders
5 waywatchers
5 waywatchers

depending on points (again no codex infront of me) either warhawk riders or treekin and i may be missing another unit of glade guard.

standard tactics involve early turn focus firing down fast troops (or ranged troops, and applying confusion in the ranks; i.e. not giving anything a clear charge, and splitting up so nothing has a clear direction of travel.

Handling 2+ armor saves is a pain but i combat the issue with waywatchers (KB at range) magic (spellsingers with fury of the forest or tree singing if they end up inside some woods) and dragonbreath + bodkins has a tendancy to widdle down high armored targets. And sometimes simply put, volume of fire can drag down a few knights.

Most of what other people have said hold true though... im no master after all. I simply am not a fan of melee elves and shy away from alot of the treefolk as anything but support. (some treekin with well done flock jobs can look really spectacular inside of a decent wood terrain waiting to flank charge anyone crossing particular battle lines.) Im sure many people would change out a few of my options to squeeze in say wardancers and (or) wild riders, i just prefer heavy shooting. but never underestimate the highborn on dragon and I always tend to take alot of magic defense (magic missiles can REALLY suck). Dance circles around them on the battlefield spend most of early turn shooting to dismantle return fire or fast movers and then focus your shots on breaking units that are breakable while hopefully avoiding most close combat.

good luck