PDA

View Full Version : High Elves Vs Dwarves

KorhilLionHeart
06-08-2009, 16:38
Hey, I'm a relative novice on the Warhammer scene and I've just started to collect High Elves. I have a friend who is really into Warhammer and has a Dwarven army which he is confident will annihilate anything I bring to the table.
I currently only have the contents of a Battalion box set and a lion chariot of Chrace. The name may be a give away but I would like to build my army around the White Lions of Chrace and would like any advice on whether I could produce an army with a good chance of defeating the little bearded fellows who want to pop a cap in my elven ass. To start with I would like to build a 1500 point army.
Any advice on my army list or useful tactics would be massively appreciated. Thanks.

Gimp
06-08-2009, 16:54
Hey, I'm a relative novice on the Warhammer scene and I've just started to collect High Elves. I have a friend who is really into Warhammer and has a Dwarven army which he is confident will annihilate anything I bring to the table.
I currently only have the contents of a Battalion box set and a lion chariot of Chrace. The name may be a give away but I would like to build my army around the White Lions of Chrace and would like any advice on whether I could produce an army with a good chance of defeating the little bearded fellows who want to pop a cap in my elven ass. To start with I would like to build a 1500 point army.
Any advice on my army list or useful tactics would be massively appreciated. Thanks.

Lucky for you White Lions are your best bet.

They can survive shooting a little better than the other Elves and can wound them with their high strengh.

Try take an Eagle or two to get those Dwarf Warmachines.

With Dwarf antimagic either go all magic or not at all. But you might need some heroes in your units to hurt the tough dwarfs.

Thats about it hey.

Tarian
06-08-2009, 17:01
Assuming your friend is fairly gunline heavy, some Dragon Princes could try to close the gap, and at the same time draw fire for the slower infantry to close.

Your Spears are almost worthless against Dwarves. Common dwarf warriors will eat spears. Swordmasters will kill anything except heroes in his army. Watch out for their heroes as they are very, very hard. Lions are also good due to good shooting protection and high strength.

Finally, I'd grab some RBTs (Repeater Bolt Throwers) to at least try to answer the ranged power. (And pick your targets carefully with them. i.e. shoot Thunderers instead of Iron Breakers, etc.)

WhiteKnight
06-08-2009, 17:08
The best advice I can say to you is go after the guns first, then focus on whatever else is left. There's one dwarf player that runs 3 cannons, 1 organ gun, 20 thunderers and then 2 blocks of 20 warriors, one of them with a thane. I usually stay back and have my bolt throwers take out the guns and then play defense and have him come to me. I usually end up with a solid victory to a massacre every game. But when I want to completely destroy him, my White Lions and swordmasters rush forward (swordmasters w/korhil and white lions w/ a noble with a GW) and then I end up winning combat, catch him if they break, then win the game.

White lions are your #1 dwarf killer. -3 to armor and Strength 6 with stubborn, WS 5, always strike first, move through woods freely, and +2 to armor save against shooting is amazing for only 15 points!

KorhilLionHeart
06-08-2009, 17:14
Sounds like its a good thing I like the White Lions then. Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely take it on board. How effective would lion chariots be against dwarves? I'd quite like to use them but I see that so far noone has made mention of them. Is there a reason for this?

Tarian
06-08-2009, 19:07
Yeah, strength 7+ autokills chariots, and Dwarves have a LOT of S7+.

Gimp
07-08-2009, 12:42
Sounds like its a good thing I like the White Lions then. Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely take it on board. How effective would lion chariots be against dwarves? I'd quite like to use them but I see that so far noone has made mention of them. Is there a reason for this?

Yeah try to aviod the chariots as they die to easily to Dwarf Shooting.

Slayerthane
07-08-2009, 13:58
The nice thing about the new army book is that Chrace is one of the few themed armies you can actually get away with for HE. I wish GW didn't muck up shadow warriors the way they did because I always wanted to do a shadow warrior list.

WhiteKnight
07-08-2009, 15:06
Yeah, Chrace, Asuryan themed, Saphery/Hoeth themed and Caledor themed easily get by while having a great theme. Shadow warriors should've gotten at least the option to take great weapons or some better rule then what they have now.

Slayerthane
07-08-2009, 16:37
Yeah, I agree. They are generally considered in the fluff to be the equal of shades, so why not make them like that in the game. At least they should have the option to get an additional handweapon. That should more than make up for things.

As for Chrace, I would go with at least one spear unit with Banner of Ellyrion, to simulate the fact that Chrace Elves are all woodsmen by nature.

Cochrane
07-08-2009, 21:26
2 Repeater Bolt throwers is a must in my book, especially if you get Curse of Arrow Attraction which is why the Seer staff is also a must (unless you take Teclis)

KorhilLionHeart
08-08-2009, 17:11
I have to say that all your advice has been awesome so thanks a lot. I'm hearing mixed reports about the chariots; a guy in games workshop told me to get 2 and he knew that I was fighting dwarves. I think I shall go with your advice though and see how that goes. For one thing my friend expects me to use chariots. I currently have one RBT but I'm going to get another one probably at the start of the week. I'm still tweaking my list and will put it up soon so you can criticise it. One question, I was thinking of using lothern sea guard instead of regular spearmen, do you think this is a good idea? I know they don't go with the Chracian theme but I thought the extra fire power might be useful.

Gimp
08-08-2009, 22:28
Hmmmm let me have another go.

1) In most games chariots work best with 2 or even more. However against dwarfs dont even bother. The high strength is tempting an even needed against dwarfs but they will just get smashed to pieces by dwarf cannons.

2) Aviod the seaguard at all costs. They are a bad attempt to fuse both spearmen and archers and the result is an over priced unit that fails at shooting and close combet. And against the high toughness and armour of the dwarfs the seaguards low strengh is gonna make them even more useless than the chariots.

I have a question though. What heroes are you gonna use?

As noted above you should go either all magic or all combat. Only a litle magic will do nothing against the dwarfs so dont go a little bit of both. If you ask me I would go with great weapon wielding heroes in the units to add a little more punch to them.

KorhilLionHeart
08-08-2009, 22:52
Hmmm... Good question. Well in terms of heroes I own, I have Korhil, a high elf prince(mounted), a noble (on foot) and two mages, one mounted and one on something that I think may be flame but I'm not sure... its just based coated black at the momented and I haven't figured out what he is floating on...

I have enough units to make up a 2000 point army so have 4 hero slots. I had thought of using both my mages, Korhil and my high elf prince. I haven't worked out what magical items to use yet and am very welcoming to suggestions.

GenerationTerrorist
08-08-2009, 23:19
I always loved playing Dwarves with my old HE army.
Similar to you, I ran a Chrace/Woodsmen-Themed army that barely changed regardless of the army I was facing.

Usual list was:

Archmage on Eagle with Seerstaff and other goodies
Lvl2 with Silver Wand (goes in Phoenix Guard)
BSB Noble with Banner of Sorcery, Great Weapon and Dragon Armour (goes in White Lions)
Lvl1 Scroll Caddy

2 units of 10 Archers
1 unit of 14 White Lions
1 unit of 14 Phoenix Guard
2 Lion Chariots
Between 1-3 Eagles
2 RBT's (I always found that the Multiple Shots option worked best against Dwarves)

The Chariots were the weakest thing in my list against Dwarves, but they did hold their own if I managed to get rid of the inevitable Warmachines using my Archmage or Eagles.

Kill-Freedom
09-08-2009, 02:36
I always loved playing Dwarves with my old HE army.
Similar to you, I ran a Chrace/Woodsmen-Themed army that barely changed regardless of the army I was facing.

Usual list was:

Archmage on Eagle with Seerstaff and other goodies
Lvl2 with Silver Wand (goes in Phoenix Guard)
BSB Noble with Banner of Sorcery, Great Weapon and Dragon Armour (goes in White Lions)
Lvl1 Scroll Caddy

2 units of 10 Archers
1 unit of 14 White Lions
1 unit of 14 Phoenix Guard
2 Lion Chariots
Between 1-3 Eagles
2 RBT's (I always found that the Multiple Shots option worked best against Dwarves)

The Chariots were the weakest thing in my list against Dwarves, but they did hold their own if I managed to get rid of the inevitable Warmachines using my Archmage or Eagles.

scroll caddy against dwarves??????????????? wtf LMAO lol haha

GenerationTerrorist
09-08-2009, 11:32
scroll caddy against dwarves??????????????? wtf LMAO lol haha

I said:

Does not mean that I could not change it.
Try reading properly next time.

wtf LMAO lol haha