PDA

View Full Version : Hive Fleet v Hive Fleet?

Rhamiel
07-08-2009, 12:25
I am just wondering what would happen if 2 Hive Fleets of Tyranids
came up infront of each other in a sector of space.
there is 1 of 2 possiblities i can see
1) They fight each other and try and consume each other (which is good for everyone else)
or
2) They join up and form an even bigger Hive Fleet (which is horendous for everyone else)

so any opinions on this?

thanks

Rhamiel

pookie
07-08-2009, 12:27
option 1 - they fight each other in a win win situation, the succesful fleet taking on the bio mass and reducing the weakness of itself in doing so.

Abaddonshand
07-08-2009, 12:28
option 1 - they fight each other in a win win situation, the succesful fleet taking on the bio mass and reducing the weakness of itself in doing so.

Quote for Truth

Gaargod
07-08-2009, 12:31
Yep sorry, almost this exact scenario is talked about in the tyranid codex. The imperium forces were celebrating when they saw the infighting, until they realized the tyranids weren't wasting any biomass - they in effect become one big hive fleet which all the strengths of both individual fleets.

Tyranids are fun like that :)

Dr. Hellbeast
07-08-2009, 12:32
I suppose it would depend upon whether they were mutually autonomous, or if they were both controlled by a higher consciousness from beyond the galactic rim, as I believe is the insinuation in the fluff. Correct me if I'm wrong. They might just amalgamate into a super fleet in this case.

Edit: forget my input. It's been said more accurately by others. :(

Rhamiel
07-08-2009, 12:43
ok i was just wondering
so it's bad either way
dag nab it
typical tyranids
<_<

Rhamiel

pookie
07-08-2009, 13:31
I suppose it would depend upon whether they were mutually autonomous, or if they were both controlled by a higher consciousness from beyond the galactic rim, as I believe is the insinuation in the fluff. Correct me if I'm wrong. They might just amalgamate into a super fleet in this case.

Edit: forget my input. It's been said more accurately by others. :(

thats one thing taht gets me about th e'Race' of Nids, they only seem to operate within a Hive Fleet, when they come up against Nids not of there own fleet they fight, which to me would indecate that they are not controlled by one individual central Hive Mind, but many splinters of one, otehr wise they would just join together but yet they dont.

Mannimarco
07-08-2009, 13:34
wanst it in an earlier white dwarf that some have fleets seem to have problems communicating with other fleets? I think it was in one of those index articles about the nids that were printed when the current codex came out

Corrode
07-08-2009, 13:37
thats one thing taht gets me about th e'Race' of Nids, they only seem to operate within a Hive Fleet, when they come up against Nids not of there own fleet they fight, which to me would indecate that they are not controlled by one individual central Hive Mind, but many splinters of one, otehr wise they would just join together but yet they dont.

Tyranids are about Darwinian evolution gone stir crazy - if you stop viewing the Hive Fleets as individuals and instead think of them as variations on a theme they make more sense. The overall Hive Mind sends out a bunch of different Fleets to various parts of the galaxy to consume everything they can find. If they happen to run into each other, they fight and the strongest wins. In a normal civil war infighting is a bad thing - your nation or whatever is weaker overall because things are lost fighting each other that could be used against enemies. Because Tyranids consume the biomass of the losing fleet, they lose nothing and become stronger overall because they now have the advantages of both fleets combined into one, as well as having shed the disadvantages of the weaker fleet. Sure, they could just hang out peacefully and exchange notes, but I don't think Nids work that way. Plus it's the ultimate test - beforehand they don't know which fleet is stronger, so there's only one way to really find out.

Narf
07-08-2009, 13:39
well ants will destroy another ant colony that doesnt match there pheromone scent (even if the ants are desceneded from the same original queen)

This could be termed with tyranids as a hyper evolved fleet coming across and unevolved fleet wouldnt recongnise each other and would then attack each other.

pookie
07-08-2009, 13:40
Tyranids are about Darwinian evolution gone stir crazy - if you stop viewing the Hive Fleets as individuals and instead think of them as variations on a theme they make more sense. The overall Hive Mind sends out a bunch of different Fleets to various parts of the galaxy to consume everything they can find. If they happen to run into each other, they fight and the strongest wins. In a normal civil war infighting is a bad thing - your nation or whatever is weaker overall because things are lost fighting each other that could be used against enemies. Because Tyranids consume the biomass of the losing fleet, they lose nothing and become stronger overall because they now have the advantages of both fleets combined into one, as well as having shed the disadvantages of the weaker fleet. Sure, they could just hang out peacefully and exchange notes, but I don't think Nids work that way. Plus it's the ultimate test - beforehand they don't know which fleet is stronger, so there's only one way to really find out.

well yep that does make sence, i just hadnt thought of it like that, the race as a whole improves, cheers.

jason_sation
07-08-2009, 14:15
They begin fighting over which colour scheme is superior.

Dr. Hellbeast
07-08-2009, 14:44
Slightly tangentlial, but still in line with the biomass absorption vibe. I've thought about doing a small Kroot army based on the poor souls who ingested Tyranid DNA. I'm sure there was a short story in one of the codices that hinted at the perils of such a happenstance.

I like the idea of splicing the Krootox head onto the frame of a Broodlord and krootifying it. I would call him a Kroodlord.

Worth trying out some test minis, guys?

Atherakhia
07-08-2009, 14:50
ok i was just wondering
so it's bad either way
dag nab it
typical tyranids
<_<

Rhamiel

This is why we love them bugs.... :evilgrin:

pookie
07-08-2009, 14:58
Slightly tangentlial, but still in line with the biomass absorption vibe. I've thought about doing a small Kroot army based on the poor souls who ingested Tyranid DNA. I'm sure there was a short story in one of the codices that hinted at the perils of such a happenstance.

I like the idea of splicing the Krootox head onto the frame of a Broodlord and krootifying it. I would call him a Kroodlord.

Worth trying out some test minis, guys?

yeah there is the shaper inatley knwos its a bad idea tho doesnt he and they kill the Kroot who have eaten the Nid(s)?

So i doubt they would, although as always why not? end of the day its justafiable, just maybe not exactly a common thing.

TheShadowCow
07-08-2009, 18:48
wanst it in an earlier white dwarf that some have fleets seem to have problems communicating with other fleets? I think it was in one of those index articles about the nids that were printed when the current codex came out

It was, yes. However, those Magos Biologis articles were actually a breed of fanfiction (albiet exceptional stuff) by Sherman Bishop (who's a-maz-ing converted Hive Fleet should never be forgotten) that GW decided to adopt as its own. They have however slowly either retconned parts of it, or in some (more preferable) cases simply added evidence from other sources that suggests the opposite.

A case in point, Sherman's articles suggest that the Tyranids are not in fact "one race" with many artificially created forms but rather are many races all united under the iron grasp of the Hive Mind (very much like the Zerg). Articles in the latest Tyranid Codex suggest the opposite though, and deliberately discredit the original source as being mistaken.

This is a useful thing to bear in mind when discussing Tyranids - frankly, we (from either the Imperial or our own perspective) do not *know* very much about them. We think we know a lot, and we have a lot of theories, but they always seem to come undone by the latest curve ball the Tyranids throw our way.

This is a good thing frankly - keeping the Tyranids as a highly visible but hardly understood threat adds to their menace and 'alien' nature.

DuskRaider
07-08-2009, 18:54
That will be the end of the galaxy. A giant Tyranid infight with every Hive Fleet known at this point, all absorbing into a super-Hive. Bad news, that is.

BrotherMoses
07-08-2009, 19:00

lol seems that way

Brother Alexos
07-08-2009, 21:54
both happens, you see in the nid codex, it talks about an adept working for the Ordo Xenos watched as two splinter fleets fought each other, neither losing mass or gaining mass, until one won.This can balance a fleet out because if one fleet raids an eldar craftworld, itll gain phsycic abilities and more zoanthropes, while another fights alot of Orks, gaining strength and carnifexes, and when both meet they fight and become one really BIG splinter fleet that can cause some serious problems for anyone.

Abaddonshand
07-08-2009, 22:01

So the Tyranid mindset is essentially the same as Space Marine players ;)

EDIT: Myself included, and would like to point out the above is intended as a "light-hearted remark" TM.