PDA

View Full Version : Titan Arms?

Lt.DustyMillar
07-08-2009, 14:30
a question.

why are titan close combat weapons attached at the elbow? They can make titan sized hands, as shown by the fist type weapons by wouldnt it make more sense to have the weapon in a hand?

I can see the benifit for ranged weapons, stability and ammo/power connections but with what is basically a chainsword couldnt they be better served having them seperate? especially in the smaller titan classes which would let them use a number of weapons, or even aid in non combat operations.

I have never found a fluff reason but havent read most of the older stuff so am wondering if anyone knows why they are like that?

grissom2006
07-08-2009, 15:02
that very same stability comes with the close combat weapon the more moving parts the more to go wrong and fix plus a greater power consumption. But note not all close combat weapons as such Chaos Titans employ lashes and balls and chains and Ork's have been known to do it also

PondaNagura
07-08-2009, 15:34
it would be more stable to have the weight and structure of the joint/arm to carry the weapon, where it is fused to the rest of the structure, than massive fingers whose strength would have to be so much more stronger in order to maintain grip a weapon the mass larger than a baneblade while it's static, let alone control the massive inertia of it in motion. grab a chain and affix a 50 pound weight to it, now swing it from the shoulder around and around; okay now direct all that inertial energy in a forward direction and you'll probably dislocate your shoulder, let alone wrench all kinds of tendons.

what if it drops the weapon, can you imagine a titan bending over?
these things already push the laws of physics, the anthropomorphism is more of a psychological thrill than practical application.

grissom2006
07-08-2009, 15:40
Look at power fist and lighting claws they take up the entire forearm to make the most of the extra weight and power that it will inflict

Lt.DustyMillar
07-08-2009, 16:48
ok hadnt really thought about the stability. Would it be the same for a Knight titan?

Tonberry
07-08-2009, 17:05
The honest answer: no one at GW ever thought it through.

grissom2006
07-08-2009, 17:19
ok hadnt really thought about the stability. Would it be the same for a Knight titan?

Yes would be my answer to that

grissom2006
07-08-2009, 17:23

Actually they did think it through they wanted to escape all the Gundam's and other Machines that we're about. I know GW creating a look of their own that wasn't plastered everywhere goes against the grain for them.

PondaNagura
07-08-2009, 18:46
i would say so for knights as well. they may have a bit more customization though than say a warlord. as their role on the battlefield is a bit more diverse.

kikkoman
07-08-2009, 20:17
I have never found a fluff reason but havent read most of the older stuff so am wondering if anyone knows why they are like that?

aesthetics. Titans of all races tend to focus on their massive stature. Imperial titans are all hunch backed, so the neck joint doesn't register in its silhouette so they've already got an inhuman stature. GW is thoughtful about their designs and what kind of idea they convey.

Their guns already take up the forearm joint, so a close combat weapon will have a similar silhouette.

Titans have an inhuman silhouette, they are massive walking fortresses. If they held swords like people, it creates a more human, less inhuman silhouette

When you see it on the tabletop, you gotta immedietly register it as a titan, not a space marine or 40k scale figure.

Firaxin
08-08-2009, 04:06
Another thing to consider is power consumption--a separate massive powerfist/lightning claw/whatever wouldn't be able to plug directly into the Titan's reactor, unlike one built into their arm.

Hellebore
08-08-2009, 05:05
aesthetics. Titans of all races tend to focus on their massive stature. Imperial titans are all hunch backed, so the neck joint doesn't register in its silhouette so they've already got an inhuman stature. GW is thoughtful about their designs and what kind of idea they convey.

Their guns already take up the forearm joint, so a close combat weapon will have a similar silhouette.

Titans have an inhuman silhouette, they are massive walking fortresses. If they held swords like people, it creates a more human, less inhuman silhouette

When you see it on the tabletop, you gotta immedietly register it as a titan, not a space marine or 40k scale figure.

Eldar titans on the other hand. Well, the phantom titan I'm making will be carrying a ridiculously big sword...

Hellebore

Tastyfish
08-08-2009, 16:50
Also the minds that provide the AI for Titans are the machine-transcribed brains of wolves and bears (something that pre-dates the necrons, but is definitely raises interesting questions about the concept of machine spirits, why the AdMech don't appear to like true AIs and is definitely akin to the tech that created the original necrons). Firing weapons are probably abstract concepts best left to the Princeps to control, though its likely the Titan understands the cause and effect of the weapon (I fire gun, thing I point gun at dies) if not the more indepth details such as how to aim, power supplies and ammo. Hitting things physically is probably going to baser programming as the mind has a good idea of how that normally works.

PondaNagura
08-08-2009, 17:25
i think you're getting necrons and chaos androids confused, but that's another topic.