PDA

View Full Version : 1999 point Ogres for tournaments

Shas'O Sun Lóng
07-08-2009, 18:55
Hey been away from the hobby for a while so me and a friend are building new armies to play at tournaments. I've never played Ogres and I'm really rusty at the moment so any tips, ideas, constructive criticism would be great, thanks!

Lord:

1 Tyrant - with the tenderiser, wyrdstone necklace, heavy armour.
= 276 points

Heroes:

1 Butcher - with halfling cookbook.
= 155 points

1 Butcher - with bangstick.
= 155 points

Core:

3 Bulls - with additional hand weapons.
= 117 points

3 Bulls - with additional hand weapons.
= 117 points

5 Bulls - with additional hand weapons.
= 195 points

5 Bulls - with additional hand weapons.
= 195 points

24 Gnoblars.
= 48 points

24 Gnoblars.
= 48 points

24 Gnoblars.
= 48 points

Special:

3 Leadbleachers.
= 165 points

3 Leadbleachers.
= 165 points

1 Scraplauncher.
= 165 points

Rare:

1 Gorger.
= 75 points

1 Gorger.
= 75 points

Jind_Singh
07-08-2009, 19:16
I'd be tempted to drop 1 or 2 bulls from the bigger units to get bellowers for the units - belive me, these buggers really like running away at the worst possible times so the plus 1 to rally is invaluble!
I personally favour the siege breaker over the tenderisor - it's 20 pts cheaper, adds +1 to the strength over the tenderisor, and hits against ini stat line - which for most races doesn't get better than 5/6 meaning for most parts you'll be hitting on 3+
the 20 pts you save allow you to upgrade 2 bull units with bellowers!
And I don't see the Ironguts anywere?! Those boys are just great, it's amazing at how effective str 6 attacks are, I've seen them pull all sorts out the bag as they can take on heavy armoured foes and give them a boot stomping. I'd be tempted to swap your unit of 5 bulls for 3-4 ironguts.
Gnoblars I've found give away lots of combat res in a scrap so they are only useful for being bait units, holding table quarters, etc.
You might want to consider ditching 1 unit and giving both butchers dispell scrolls to help take on magic heavy armies - as Ogres are so fast they tend to get stuck in pretty quick so if you can shut down the magic phases early on, you wont have to worry later when your in combat as most spells dont affect units in close combat.
Otherwise a pretty decent list, you'll just have to experiment with it!
PS - the Lead Belchers for sure need a bellower - a great tactic with them is to move forwards, shoot, and leave yourself exposed to a charge. Flee the charge when it comes, and the turn you rally allows you to re-load the guns.
That way if they do get charged they can stand & shoot, or if no one is hassling them they are free to shoot another target.
Get some BELLOWERS!!!

pfishy98
07-08-2009, 19:43
if you plan on attending tournaments you'll need some more magic defence to deal with all the VCs, Daemons, Darkies, and Lizardmen. I would drop a unit of gnoblars and replace it with some dispel scrolls.

PS - the Lead Belchers for sure need a bellower - a great tactic with them is to move forwards, shoot, and leave yourself exposed to a charge. Flee the charge when it comes, and the turn you rally allows you to re-load the guns.
That way if they do get charged they can stand & shoot, or if no one is hassling them they are free to shoot another target.
Get some BELLOWERS!!!

a great tactic, use it often

BossBadBad
07-08-2009, 19:53
To go with the advice that's here (and wonderful to know an OK player is going to a tourny!) I'd like to also add something:
1). The extra HW's are a little useless on your Bulls, I'd just ditch the extra HW's, freeing up the points for a bellower.

2). If you do take the Siegebreaker over Tenderizer, than I recommend getting the Fistful of Laurels. Being able to reroll those break test's can be helpful!

3). I'd also add two Tooth-gnoblars to your butchers, and a luck-gnoblar to your Tyrant.

4). A unit of Gnoblar trappers (8 strong) will cost the same as a unit of Gnoblar Fighters, I'd recommend getting the Trappers. (Skirmishing, along with some other helpful abilities.)

5). Giving your Tyrant a brace of handgun's wouldn't be a bad idea. It's a nice little bit of range for only 12 points.

Shas'O Sun Lóng
13-08-2009, 00:52
Thanks for the input guys, going to try a few changes and repost.