110 10 archers
110 10 archers

180 12 White Lions
300 18 Pheonix Guard w/ full command
265 14 Sword Masters w/ full command, banner of arcane protection
85 Tiranoc Chariot
96 6 Shadow Warriors

50 Great Eagle

Plan would be put the BSB and caradryan in the pheonix guard, archmage in the swordmasters and last mage in the white lions. Use the shadow warriors, eagle and chariot to go for any warmachines/squishy archer units and power through the center with my three combat units. Magic resistance should hopefully keep my center alive (MR 3 for caradryan and MR 2 for the swordmasters), saving extra dispel dice to protect the white lions. Archers will guard my flanks, and i might use them a bit more aggressively than normal, more like LSG.

Thoughts?

WhiteKnight
07-08-2009, 20:42
This is a pretty nice list. You have good combat skill, and solid magic. The eagle and shadow warriors will be your harassers, leaving no ability for marching for your opponent. Also get rid of those annoying war machines.

SilentStalker
08-08-2009, 16:37
tried it out to some success, but found that the BSB really isn't adding anything to the list. I think I will replace him with another tiranoc chariot, and the flesh out the white lions a bit with full command and another guy, bringing it to 13 w/ FC

Von Wibble
09-08-2009, 11:21
335 Archmage w/ lvl 4, ring of fury, jewel of the dusk, scroll
155 Mage w/ lvl 2, ring of corin
136 BSB w/ dragon armor, halberd, barded steed
175 caradryan

110 10 archers
110 10 archers

180 12 White Lions
300 18 Pheonix Guard w/ full command
265 14 Sword Masters w/ full command, banner of arcane protection
85 Tiranoc Chariot
96 6 Shadow Warriors

50 Great Eagle

Plan would be put the BSB and caradryan in the pheonix guard, archmage in the swordmasters and last mage in the white lions. Use the shadow warriors, eagle and chariot to go for any warmachines/squishy archer units and power through the center with my three combat units. Magic resistance should hopefully keep my center alive (MR 3 for caradryan and MR 2 for the swordmasters), saving extra dispel dice to protect the white lions. Archers will guard my flanks, and i might use them a bit more aggressively than normal, more like LSG.

Thoughts?

Its a nice list.

I would agree with taking a chariot instead of the BSB, but I'd add another Eagle instead of adding to the Lions.

TheSanityAssassin
10-08-2009, 04:27
I don't like the idea of removing that BSB....Phoenix Guard win through combat rez, even with Caradryan there, and removing 1 "for sure" point of rez, plus 3 S5 attacks AND a rank bonus (though I'm sure you can find points for another model) just seems like a...not good...idea. It kind of neuters that unit for the bonus of simply another Tiranoc chariot, which I don't think will do you a huge amount of good (at least in my opinion).

What armies are you thinking you will most likely see? That will change the advice I give you greatly. If you see a lot of blasty-casting, then Arcane Protection on the Swordsmasters is great...if not, consider Lion Standard....it's great when they don't suddenly refuse to charge zombies, or run from a unit of Cold One Knights (or worse, need 6's to hit and get plowed). It'll also save you a few points, which I would conisder using to put a War Banner on the PG. If you leave the BSB in there, then you'll gain a big boost to static rez, which should win you a lot of combats. I might also consider putting that BSB on foot with Armour of Caledor and a Great Weapon. Might cost a few points more, but I've found a S6 hitter vital for that unit, as it lets you reliably kill at least 1 T4, 1+ save model before it strikes, which is vital against Blood Knights or Chaos Knights. Combo charge with the PG and the chariot and you will break most things.

Von Wibble
10-08-2009, 12:39
But surely there is a flaw to the idea that a unit costing 600pts needs a BSB for that +1 to CR. Better to remove the BSB, and not make it an auto win for your opponent if he removes the PG. I was of course assuming since the BSB is mounted he is alone - imo mounted characters in foot units just look silly and shouldn't be allowed.

Not to mention that the PG only have a +2 rank bonus (+1 if just 2 models are lost) and will be often outnumbered. Not quite sure how you win from CR when the opponent can easily have a +3 advantage to start with. Unless its knights - but swordmasters or white lions are far more optimal in that case.

Meanwhile a Chariot provides +3 to Cr in most cases on charge - and surgical striking is a high elf strength. It plays to the armies capabilities far more.

If the BSB is kept then I agree with on foot and with that combo.

Lion standard is good. On white lions there is a greater synergy though - not just in the name, but with stubborn. A different suggestion (not on the lions mind) is banner of ellyrion - for just 15pts you can set a unit up in difficult terrain making it virtually chariot proof and giving a good chance of avoiding being charged even vs cavalry. Its a great item.

SilentStalker
10-08-2009, 13:26
I like the idea of a second eagle and a chariot. In my games I found that the BSB wasn't adding much to my units. His +1 CR never really came up.