PDA

View Full Version : what is the piont in a branchwraith?

The Blades of reason
07-08-2009, 20:55
isn't the question obvious?

PeG
07-08-2009, 21:12
The main reason that I can see is if you are playing forest spirits only or for some other reason wants him in a forest spirit unit.

willowdark
07-08-2009, 21:22
@ 1000 pts, give or take, a dual purpose character like that can be an asset, boosting magic defense without having to shell out for a caddy, but also giving you a combat boost.

@ 2000 pts or above she becomes a good target for your Lvl4's Bear's Anger.

With Annoyance of Nets and the Ward Save she could potentially hold up a strong hero character in a critical combat. She is a skirmisher so would be more maneuverable than a TMA, and considerably cheaper.

That's the best I can come up with. I'll still never take one though. Bear's Anger is promising but would require a lot of point investment and you'd still have to successfully cast it.

Von Wibble
08-08-2009, 10:44
We have houseruled that the branchwraith is S5 and 5 more points. It makes them clearly better than a unit champ. Other than that I like to use them for an extra couple of dispel dice (cluster of radiants?) and an extra spell cast, on a character that can still fight.

Arguleon-veq
08-08-2009, 14:17
Dispel Dice for me.

That and holding up enemy characters.

Lvl1, Radiants, Netlings.

2 Extra Dispel Dice and can hold up most characters for a few turns in important combats.

Crube
08-08-2009, 15:25
Always take one - handy for extra Dispell Dice but ultimately as a slightly more fighty character... Annoyance of Netlings, plus 25 points of whatever else takes my fancy at the time.

PARTYCHICORITA
08-08-2009, 18:43
With almost the same stats as a dryad champion (only better WS, I and W) i would never take her even with the option to take a couple of fairies including the +1dd one.

The Blades of reason
08-08-2009, 18:58
hello there again people i appreciate your answers the only proplem is that i am a complete idiot you see, i have a habit of never proof reading and i always get branchwraiths and branch nymph's

so the real question is what is the piont in branch nymphs - the unit chanpion for dryads and thanks any way for teh replies already given i agree with them all completely

and don't post the reason of character prtectiob for challenges

thanks again and sorry for my stupidity:angel:

Crube
08-08-2009, 19:25
hello there again people i appreciate your answers the only proplem is that i am a complete idiot you see, i have a habit of never proof reading and i always get branchwraiths and branch nymph's

Happens to the best of us :D

so the real question is what is the piont in branch nymphs - the unit chanpion for dryads and thanks any way for teh replies already given i agree with them all completely

Branch Nymphs... I see your point. they are the same points as another Dryad, for a single attack, but they do (sorry) provide some protection for a character in challenges... although if you take a Branchwraith with Annoyance, then you want them in a challenge...

hmmmm

Arguleon-veq
08-08-2009, 20:53
Well as the min unit size is 8, and the fact you will rarely get more than 7 in base to base, the fact that you can get 2 extra attacks for the same cost as the Nymphs 1 extra attack is a bit of a moot point. As you cant use those 2 extra attacks so they are useless where as you can always use the Nymphs extra attacks.

Still, there isnt much point in taking her anyway, not worth 12 points IMO.

Von Wibble
08-08-2009, 21:04
2 reasons

1 - The reason I am not allowed to mention (but its the main reason to take any champion!)

2 - Your unit is unlikely to contact all models in an engaged enemy unit. So the extra dryad you get instead won't attack. The extra attack for the Branch Nymph otoh will apply no matter how few models are in btb.

That said I rarely use them myself.

The Blades of reason
09-08-2009, 17:43
at what cost would you start to consider taking them 6pts? i might