PDA

View Full Version : Steam Tank Problems

Dr.Rockso
07-08-2009, 23:50
Ok so me and my friends are wondering how do you kill a gunline with steam tank ?.? pit of shades wont work on it so how exactly would you go and kill it?.? we play HE, VC, and Lizzies

Kalec
08-08-2009, 00:34
You could try attacking the tank. Lots of people have had good success with that.

Be Afraid
08-08-2009, 00:45
Lore of metal where possible (can be taken by all 3 above armies). High elves can also use single bolt bolt throwers. Blood knights will give it a good go in combat, aslong as you get charge, as could ancient stegadons and suicide great weagon scar vets. Main thing too concentrate on is its steam points, take it down too 5 wounds and it struggles too do much, and can be taken out at your leasure.

theunwantedbeing
08-08-2009, 01:21
Vampire Lord with the Frostblade.
If you wound it and the Empire player rolls a 1 or a 2 for its armour save, it dies outright.

eyescrossed
08-08-2009, 01:56
Vampire Lord with the Frostblade.
If you wound it and the Empire player rolls a 1 or a 2 for its armour save, it dies outright.

Oooh, nasty :evilgrin:

Dragune
08-08-2009, 02:41
It could be a problem in low point value games though. Not really sure what to tell you what to do then. Gunlines are lame.

TheDean04
08-08-2009, 03:32
It could be a problem in low point value games though. Not really sure what to tell you what to do then. Gunlines are lame.

Gun lines are certainly lame. I would focus in on the lighter stuff first and if the tank gets to close bog it down with a tar unit.

Urgat
08-08-2009, 04:33
Isn't it possible to just bog down the tank with raised zombies? For HE and lizzies, frankly, I have no idea, I don't know them that well, but for VC, that sounds like the simplest, easiest way to do, and you don't risk your vampire just for that.

acsmedic
08-08-2009, 05:27
For HE I have had success with White Lions. at st6 they do fine against it as long as you get the charge and enough wounds to limit the grind on the next turn.

Along with the bolt throwers the steam tank can be managed.

The Red Scourge
08-08-2009, 06:29
S7 attacks is usually whats needed to reliably damage the stank, so that means blood knights or vampires with great weapons. HE RBTs on single shot are also good. I don't know much about lizardmen :)

My poor little wood elves who lacks both in the high strength and offensive magic department has had decent success with showering the thing with S3 arrows and knock just 1-2 wounds off it allowing me to ignore it, untill I could spare a treeman to deal with it.

The key thing with the STank is not to fear it. It looks big and scary and almost impervious, but once you put just a few wounds it becomes quite unreliable :)

Dragune
08-08-2009, 07:14
Isn't it possible to just bog down the tank with raised zombies? For HE and lizzies, frankly, I have no idea, I don't know them that well, but for VC, that sounds like the simplest, easiest way to do, and you don't risk your vampire just for that.

Pretty sure the steam tank cant be stuck in combat, sorta like in 40k.

Condottiere
08-08-2009, 08:13
I think you either have to ignore it, decoy it or deal with it, but whatever option you choose, you have to stick with your plan.

Geography is your friend - place lots of terrain pieces that make it difficult if not impassable for the Stank.

Kayosiv
09-08-2009, 10:54
Carnosaur ought to turn that thing into scrap metal, so would an ancient stegadon with a warspear skink chief on top, but that'll be harder to protect against shooting.

Dr.Rockso
10-08-2009, 01:34
I think you either have to ignore it, decoy it or deal with it, but whatever option you choose, you have to stick with your plan.

Geography is your friend - place lots of terrain pieces that make it difficult if not impassable for the Stank.

it doesnt help when my friend makes a gunline and doesnt move his units making it so whoever he's plaing against has to move around the terrain getting shot at.....

NecronBob
10-08-2009, 02:30
For HE, Teclis with Lore of Magic eats Steam Tanks. Last time I played Empire, he killed it in the second turn. You also get a spell to silence one warmachine to help with the rest of the gunline.

Gunlines can be tough to deal with though. What else is in there besides the tank?

Dr.Rockso
10-08-2009, 03:47
2 units of 15 handgunners, 2 units of 20 spearmen, mortar, cannon, 5 outriders with repeaters, tank, 2 warrior priest,1 unit of 10 flagellens, 2 units of 5 free company as detachements on each spear unit, and 1 mage...pretty sure thats it i might be forgetting something...and my group has agreed that we wont play with named characters so if i wanted to use teclis i would have to use a lvl4 archmage instead

Dr.Rockso
10-08-2009, 03:48
and its funny he said that Knightly order and Greatswords are usless..i looked at there book today....there pretty good

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 04:12
Greatswords are pretty crap, IMO.

TheSanityAssassin
10-08-2009, 04:12
Greatswords aren't great...Knights can be quite effective, but they have to be used differently than other heavy cav, as though survivable, they're slow and don't hit that hard.

If your only goal with magic is to kill that Stank, and you're not against tailoring a list (which given the asking for advice, I'm guessing you're not) just take an LV4 with your High Elves and Seerstaff to make sure you have ... I still want to call it Bane of Forged Steel...stupid 6th ed, stuck in my brain. Fury of the Forge? The #6 Lore of Metal spell anyways....that'll eat it to useless pretty quickly. Also take the 2d6 S4 hits, the shut down War Machines and probably the LV1 sniper spell. You should get through it alright. If you're worried about getting through the gunline, take a unit of Phoenix Guard with a character with Sacred Incense as well. Between the 4+ ward save and the -1 to hit, they can march into those handgunners fairly easily, and the Empire list doesn't have a ton in it that could actually fight them.

Give someone else the Ring of Fury to blast away those marchblocking Outriders once you suck out the dispel dice, and you're on your way.

Mercules
10-08-2009, 18:32
My poor little wood elves who lacks both in the high strength and offensive magic department has had decent success with showering the thing with S3 arrows and knock just 1-2 wounds off it allowing me to ignore it, untill I could spare a treeman to deal with it.

As a Wood Elf if you have TreeSinging you can also block it in with Woods, they are Impassible for it.

Dag
10-08-2009, 18:51
are stanks poisonable? if so your steg's can fire those 48297524398 poisoned bolts at it, and hope for some 6's then 1's. otherwise a carny or no armour save weapon is the key.

and you dont "strike" at the stank, you auto hit it. all you gota do is wound.

my favorite is watching my giant walk up, club it for 7wounds, andwander away

Kalandros
11-08-2009, 01:19
Pretty sure the steam tank cant be stuck in combat, sorta like in 40k.

I'm not sure, I've read the rules for the Steam Tank and nothing says it doesn't stay locked in close combat.

TheSanityAssassin
11-08-2009, 02:41
We've always kept it locked in....but I'm not actually certain on that, I've just followed what our local Empire player has said. I should have my Empire book soon to figure it out.