PDA

View Full Version : High Elf 1000 points beginner

Mephaine
09-08-2009, 10:37
Hey guys. After the extreme displeasure of my Lizardmen, wasn't the army for me cause I like range that is longer than 12 inches on average, and a single lore for my heroes got to me. So I have looked at my armies I figured I go for an army where it relies on a bit more thought than simple "Me like to smash" logic. Here is what I have at the moment for a starter list.

Heroes
High Elf Mage; Level 2, The Seerstaff of Saphery @ 165 points

Core
10 Archers @ 110 points
10 Archers @ 110 points

Special
15 Pheonix Guard; Full Command, Banner of Arcan Protection @ 280 points
5 Shadow Warriors @ 80 points
5 Shadow Warriors @ 80 points

Rare
Repeater Bolt Thrower @ 100 points

Total: 925 points

My idea is Shadow Warriors perform Harassment/March Blocking to maximise my time blasting away with magic and shooting. I am unsure what to do with the remaining 75 points as its such an odd number? So does the idea seem sound or daft? Any advice for a high Elf newbie :P

Meraell
09-08-2009, 15:13
I would change that list a bit:

Phoenix Guard don't need banner of arcane protection with a 4+ ward save already.

You have no hammer units, IMO you should include in your list a chariot or 5 dragon princes or swap the phoenix guard for white lions.

I wouldn't play with 2 shadow warriors units, they aren't that good, 1 is enough if you like them, an eagle can also marchblock and redirect for only 50 points.

I would also play with 1 core (in this case, 1 unit of archers) and spend my points in the special units.

IMO the ring of fury and silver wand would be better in the mage than the seerstaff. In a 2K points game the seerstaff is very important to choose beast cowers most of the time and stop the nasty things but if you want to keep it now, do it.

Hope that help a bit ;).

isidril93
09-08-2009, 15:31
you can take off an archer unit and add in another repeater bolt thrower

like mereal said maybe a chariot would be good..or a small unit of swordmasters

NecronBob
10-08-2009, 02:42
I'm not a big fan of Shadow Warriors; they don't seem to do their job very well. I'd certainly drop one unit, and I would be tempted to drop both. Phoenix Guard are very tough but don't do a lot of damage. Therefore, I think you will want something that packs a little more punch.

I think if you listen to the previous advice and cut yourself to one unit of archers and one unit of shadow warriors, you take those points and buy a unit of 6 Dragon Princes for 180.

I have also found that the Sea Guards' flexibility shines in low point games, so you could take the ten points you have left and upgrade your archers to sea guard (although you'll lose a bit of bow range).

As for that loose 75: If you upgrade to sea guard, you could also up their numbers to 15 to get some combat res. It's been said before, but eagles are invaluable. Finally, 75 points is a unit of 5 swordmasters, which can work. They are pretty vulnerable to shooting though, so it depends on what your opponent is.

Rawne
15-08-2009, 12:23
mayb drop the 1 unit of shadow warriors, upgrade both units to sea guard, and add a chariot?