PDA

View Full Version : The "I want to start X army" thread

isaac
09-08-2009, 14:05
I have seen a lot of the "I want to start army X, need help" threads, so I decided to start a thread which has what is needed for a point/money efficient way to start X army. This guide is not for special builds, but on how to make a basic force that you can easily add on to.

Each army will have two different listings.

CMF-Cheapest minimal force, what it takes to have a game legal army. If you can use the battleforce to get a game legal army with some extras, I will take it.

BSA-Basic Starting Army, an easily built upon force, should be about 1000 points

Tau

CMF
1xBattleforce
-You can use the included crisis suit as a HQ, the box gives you two troops, plus a transport, stealth suits and drones

BSA
-Crisis Commander
A great HQ unit, can be easily customized
-2xBattleforce
-Gives you 4 troops, 2 transports, 2 crisis suits, 6 stealth suits and drones
-2xSkyrays
Same cost as Hammerhead, but with all the hammerhead options plus all the skyray bitz

Tau notes: Try and get the old Battleforce if possible, it has two crisis suits instead of the crisis suit and stealth suits. Otherwise the normal battleforce is quite good.

Imperial Guard

CMF
-1xBattleforce
Use the platoon command as company command, the two infantry squads as veterans, heavy weapon models mixed in with your infantry and the sentinel as support

Necrons

CMF
-1xBattleforce
-1xNecron Lord
Gives you the basics, plus nothing in the box will got to waste

BSA
-Necron Warrior Phalanx (2x Battleforces, 1x Necron Lord and 1x Monolith)
For the cost of two battleforces, you get a very nice Necron army with all the basics and plenty of room for expansion.
Here is just a starting idea, feel free to add more and comment on what is up. I will take the suggestions and stick them on the first post.

Eldar

CMF
1x Eldar Battleforce
1x Farseer
-This has a Wave Serpent, a small Dire Avengers squad, and some Guardians to act as troops, a Farseer for your HQ and an additional Warwalker.

BSA
2x Eldar Battleforces
1x Farseer
1(+)x Box of aspect warriors of your choice
1x Eldar Wraithlord
-This can be easily tooled out to become a decent 1,000 point force for friendly games, which can do psychic powers (the Farseer) shooting and objective grabbing (Guardians, DA's, Wave Serpents, Wraithlord) close combat (Wraithlord + depends on what aspects you choose) and fire magnets (Wraithlord)

Dark Eldar

CMF
2x Dark Eldar Warriors
1x Dark Eldar Haemonculus
2x Dark Eldar Raider
1x Dark Eldar Ravager
-A legal force with something extra, but DE are not that cheap

BSA

3x Dark Eldar Raider
2x Dark Eldar Warriors
1x Dark Eldar Ravager
1x Dark Eldar Archon
1x Dark Eldar Wych Fighting Squad

This is a fairly balanced 750 point list and serves as a nice jump off point.
For this army, the battleforce is not advised due to the poor options within.

Tyranids

CMF
1x Battleforce
-One of the better battleforces. It can give you a HQ or an Elite (Though for saving money, use it as an HQ), 3 Troop Choices, and Heavy Support.

BSA
Swarm:
1x Battleforce
3x Boxes of Gaunts
1x Warrior or Hive Tyrant Box,
-The gaunts will give you numbers, the warrior or Hive Tyrant will give you synapse coverage.

Monstorous Creature:
1x Battleforce
1x Hive Tyrant
2x Carnifex
-This setup will give you a lot of MCs on the field

Orks

CMF
1xAoBR
-Seriously, this is probably the best CMF out there. It has an HQ, 2-3 troop choices and some AT support

This is a living list, post your suggestions below and I will add them on.

If you have questions, also post them below. I hope people will find this thread to be useful and that it will cut down some of the posts for starting new armies.

iluvatar18
09-08-2009, 15:40
Necrons
CMF
-1xBattleforce
-1xNecron Lord

Wow that was easy. I don't even have to explain anything cause it's so straight forward. Man I love Necrons. :D

isaac
09-08-2009, 15:51
Added Necron CMF and BSA

iluvatar18
09-08-2009, 16:05
Alright, lets see what else there is...

Marines:
CMG
-1xBattleforce
-1xSpace Marine Commander
-OR-
-1xSpace Marine Chaplain

BSA (It really gets interesting here as now the options really open up)
I would say:
-1xTerminator Box, Combat specifically for that survivability with Storm Shields
-1xAssault Marine Box to make the Battleforce Squad full
-1xPredator/Vindicator/Whirlwind/Land Raider for that vehicle choice.
And depending on what tank you buy, you're looking at a good variable 750-1000 point force

isaac
09-08-2009, 16:17
I left marines off because of the whole AoBR box.
I think the AoBR box is a better way to start the core of a SM army, all you need is another troop choice. And I don't know what to think about the battleforce. It may inlcude three troop choices and a trnasport, but it just lacks the "oomph" that you see in other boxes. Some sort of powerful unit.

For a marine CMF, it would more likely go

Battleforce, use sarge as captain, convert another SM to use as sarge, then you have a 10 man SM squad, 5 scouts, 5 assault troops and 4 leftover SMs (that can be used to add bodies to squads)

or

AoBR Marines+SM combat squad=CMF

And for BSA, it assumed to be separate from the CMF, so if both ones include a battleforce, then list it twice. CMF is for people who just want a small force to try out, BSA is for people who really want to start the force. They may overlap to some degree, but I will keep them separate.

I was also thinking of adding a combat patrol (40k in 40mins) option to the army. Thoughts?

eldaran
09-08-2009, 16:20
Eldar

CMF:

1x Eldar Battleforce
1x Farseer

This gets you a Wave Serpent, a small Dire Avengers squad, and some Guardians to act as troops, a Farseer for your HQ and an additional Warwalker.

BSA:

2x Eldar Battleforces
1x Farseer
1+ Box of aspect warriors of your choice
1x Eldar Wraithlord

This gets you some more stuff, and you can easily tool it out to become a decent 1,000 point force for friendly games, which can do psychic powers (the Farseer) shooting and objective grabbing (Guardians, DA's, Wave Serpents, Wraithlord) close combat (Wraithlord + depends on what aspects you choose) and fire magnets (did i mention the wraithlord?:p)

This is about 150-odd, but if you want to start Eldar, the best place to go is the Eldar Tactica thread/Irisado's signature.

iluvatar18
09-08-2009, 16:25
I don't like the quality of AoBR men because, I think they are cheap and horrible models. Great way for kids to start, but not hobbyists.

Anyways here is my next segment:
Tyranids
CMG
-1x Battleforce
In my opinion best battleforce in the game. Gives you an HQ or Elite (Probably taken as HQ so you can play), 3 Troop Choices, and a Heavy. Normally this box will give you a 500 point army

BSA (This is interesting again as Tyranids have lots of choices now)
SWARM:
-3x Boxes of Gaunts for the numbers (4 Squads of 16 Gaunts is good)
-1x Warrior or Hive Tyrant Box, your choice for Synapse coverage

Monstorous Creature Army:
-1x Hive Tyrant
-2x Carnifex

isaac
09-08-2009, 16:33
I don't like the quality of AoBR men because, I think they are cheap and horrible models. Great way for kids to start, but not hobbyists.

Anyways here is my next segment:
Tyranids
CMG
-1x Battleforce
In my opinion best battleforce in the game. Gives you an HQ or Elite (Probably taken as HQ so you can play), 3 Troop Choices, and a Heavy. Normally this box will give you a 500 point army

BSA (This is interesting again as Tyranids have lots of choices now)
SWARM:
-3x Boxes of Gaunts for the numbers (4 Squads of 16 Gaunts is good)
-1x Warrior or Hive Tyrant Box, your choice for Synapse coverage

Monstorous Creature Army:
-1x Hive Tyrant
-2x Carnifex

For the BSA is that with the Battleforce?

So MC army list+Battleforce and SWARM+Battleforce

On AoBR, they may not awe dropping, but they are cheap and allow you to bulk up or start a cheap force. CMF, is the cheapest minimal force, so AoBR is the best route. However I would still grab it for BSA. The extra termies and dread are worth it.

IhasAshuvel
09-08-2009, 17:25
What does CMF/BSA/etc stand for?

However, content time!

Dark Eldar

3x Dark Eldar Raider
2x Dark Eldar Warriors
1x Dark Eldar Ravager
1x Dark Eldar Archon
1x Dark Eldar Wych Fighting Squad

This will get you a fairly balanced 750 point list and would set you back (prices taken from GW's website) 115.40.

I advise against the battle force due to the inclusion of reaver jetbikes (the jetbike kit included comes with nothing extra like special weapons, making them an exceedingly poor choice for a new player).

Expanding from here is obviously player's choice, but this is a solid core the typical DE list.

isaac
09-08-2009, 17:38
CMF-Cheapest minimal force, basically what it takes for you to get HQ, 2 troops and maybe something else on the cheap. Useful only for making the bare basics of a force

BSA-Basic Starting Army, for those who want to really and properly start an army. It has a HQ + 2 troops minimum, plus some great units that you can never go wrong with (like hammerheads for tau). This is a strong basic army that can be easily changed or added unto as you progress.

I think the list you listed would be a BSA. Easy to add onto, but solid where it is.

IhasAshuvel
09-08-2009, 17:49
I think the list you listed would be a BSA. Easy to add onto, but solid where it is.

Yes, it would be a BSA.

If you want a CMF i'd say

2x Dark Eldar Warriors
1x Dark Eldar Haemonculus (it does not matter which of the 2 models as they cost the same).

This force here is about 250 points but legal.

It would cost about 40.

isaac
09-08-2009, 18:01
One more note for CMFs and BSAs.

CMFs should be around 500 points, but more/less is okay

BSAs should be around 1000 points, but more/less is okay

IhasAshuvel, Is there anything you would add to the DE CMF?
I mean CMF in terms to have a nice starting point to build upon and not just cheapest points/money.

IhasAshuvel
09-08-2009, 18:06
IhasAshuvel, Is there anything you would add to the DE CMF?

2x Dark Eldar Raider
1x Dark Eldar Ravager

That would put the CMF upto around 500 points (give or take wargear and certain weapon loadouts) and would cost roughly an additional 70

iluvatar18
10-08-2009, 00:12
Anyways, I think we have all the armies that can be covered without a personal preference.

Daemons: No battleforce and lots of metal. And if people want to be mono or multi factional daemon really changes the way that army starts
Chaos Marines: Battleforce isn't that great. There are so many fluff armies inside the Chaos Marine Codex that choosing one defined starting set is very difficult
Daemonhunters: Well they can go two ways, but most people play Grey Knights as allies, not as a lone standing army anymore. Anyways, their two ways are stormtroopers or grey knights.
Orks: I guess they have a CMF and BSA, but I don't ever play them so I don't know jack about them.
Witch Hunters: Same issue as Daemonhunters

polymphus
10-08-2009, 00:23
Just started a Tau army and have an even cheaper CMF I'm using right now:

1 XV8 Battlesuit
1 Box of Fire Warriors

That gives you an XV8 for your commander, two 6-man squads of fire warriors and a 4-strong squad of gun drones. It comes to about 250pts, wargear depending.

slingersam
10-08-2009, 01:41
For Orks I would say that the CMF is the assault on black reach set
But the BSA would have to be either 2x AOBR, or the green tide set.
With the green tide you can make a decent 1500 point army
1x Warboss
7x Nobs
3x 30 boyz with 3x bix shootas, PK Nob and boss pole
10x Tankbustas with 1 boy left over
(made him the PK nob for the bustas)
Also with the 2x AOBR you either sell the other half and
-double it up to 4x AOBR
-take the dreads and convert them into deff dreads, sell off and the
rest of the stuff (2x commanders, 20x space marines, and 10x terminators)
and buy either lootas, or trukks.

isaac
10-08-2009, 05:18
Anyways, I think we have all the armies that can be covered without a personal preference.

Daemons: No battleforce and lots of metal. And if people want to be mono or multi factional daemon really changes the way that army starts
Chaos Marines: Battleforce isn't that great. There are so many fluff armies inside the Chaos Marine Codex that choosing one defined starting set is very difficult
Daemonhunters: Well they can go two ways, but most people play Grey Knights as allies, not as a lone standing army anymore. Anyways, their two ways are stormtroopers or grey knights.
Orks: I guess they have a CMF and BSA, but I don't ever play them so I don't know jack about them.
Witch Hunters: Same issue as Daemonhunters

Orks and CSM can still be covered, but otherwise I think you are right.

Just started a Tau army and have an even cheaper CMF I'm using right now:

1 XV8 Battlesuit
1 Box of Fire Warriors

That gives you an XV8 for your commander, two 6-man squads of fire warriors and a 4-strong squad of gun drones. It comes to about 250pts, wargear depending.

The problem here is that 250 points is not really a CMF, it should be around 500 points and contain a little oomph, i.e. not just the bare minimum.

For Orks I would say that the CMF is the assault on black reach set
But the BSA would have to be either 2x AOBR, or the green tide set.
With the green tide you can make a decent 1500 point army
1x Warboss
7x Nobs
3x 30 boyz with 3x bix shootas, PK Nob and boss pole
10x Tankbustas with 1 boy left over
(made him the PK nob for the bustas)
Also with the 2x AOBR you either sell the other half and
-double it up to 4x AOBR
-take the dreads and convert them into deff dreads, sell off and the
rest of the stuff (2x commanders, 20x space marines, and 10x terminators)
and buy either lootas, or trukks.

I want to avoid heavy conversion, so most of these are okay, but I think the deffdreads would place it beyond reach for the normal starting gamer. Also I want to one AoBR max for starting armies.

What comes in the green tide? Isn't it a 100 orks or so?

polymphus
10-08-2009, 05:23
The problem here is that 250 points is not really a CMF, it should be around 500 points and contain a little oomph, i.e. not just the bare minimum.

Hmm. Well I managed to drag it up to 500pts with the addition of two more crisis suits and using a Shas'O instead of a Shas'El (plus the extra drones). Would this be more fitting?

CMF

3 XV8 Battlesuits
1 Box of Fire Warriors

BSA

+1 battleforce
+1 XV8 Battlesuit
XV8 Commander

BSA++

+1 Devilfish
+2 Skyray kits (for hammerheads+seeker missiles)
+1 box of kroot
+3 XV8 Battlesuits
+2 Shapers

All up this makes
-1 Shas'O w. Bodyguards
-2*3 XV8 Crisis suits
-1 Stealth Team
-2*12 Fire Warriors in 'fish
-2* 15 Kroot w. shapers
-20 Gun drones (to do with whatever you wish)
-2* Hammerheads

I'd like to add I'm a rather impoverished uni student who's very slowly collecting a Tau army: I'm very much interested if anyone has any advice/changes to the above.

EDIT: Sorry about the sheer number of edits, just trying to make my mind up about this.

Brother Alexos
10-08-2009, 06:24
an imperial guard BSA
X1 battleforce
X1 leman russ
X1 command squad

slingersam
10-08-2009, 23:33
The green tide comes with 1 warboss 100 boyz and 10 nobz. The green tide actually makes around 1250 points. With 1 set I was able to make the following:
1x Warboss
7x Nobx
10x Tankbustas
3x 30 boyz with a PK Nob and boss pole + 3x shoota boyz