PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments in Toronto ?

SilverWarlock
09-08-2009, 18:24
Hello there, just coming back to Warhammer after a 2 year break.

The GW Canada system seems to have crumbled with no real replacement rising yet ... and I am wondering what has happened to the whole stack of small tournaments we had in and around Toronto.

I remember being able to find a tournament every other weekend within a 45 min drive of downtown but it seems the venues have shut down and the GW website is quite thoroughly unhelpful (unlike the old GW canada website which had all the little tournaments).

Is there any solution to this (some store websites, or independent retailer group that has listings?) ? Is it just a big mess created by the merger or is Warhammer dwindling (due to recession and competition from MMOs and the like) ?

I can understand them cutting costs, but keeping a basic search system for local tournaments seems like a pretty small expense and a rather large return (the people going to said tournaments all buy ridiculous amounts of product and might not if they don't have competitive play available).

Thanks for any help or answers, I hope this is in the right section, if not please move it,

Damien

lcfr
09-08-2009, 20:13
Well, I live in Bolton during the summer so while that's only 45min out of TO it's not quite the same thing. I haven't played in tournaments myself yet but as I understand it now and again GW or independent stores will host tournaments, albeit much more 'local'.

That said, my advice would be to check out the GW in the Eaton Centre and ask them (the store manager might be more helpful) about how often and when they host tournaments. I was at the GW just outside of Bolton (Vaughan Mills mall) on Friday and asked a similar question; he told me that tourneys were infrequent at the store but I think it's because of the low volume there. As I recall, the Eaton Centre GW is a hell of a lot bigger (it has a battle bunker or whatever that's called?) and no doubt gets waaaayyy more players, so I'm sure there are bound to be tourneys going on now and then there. Good luck!

Darkness_of_the_wolf
09-08-2009, 20:19
LCFr, there isnt a GW in the eatons centre anymore.

Silver, tournament or not, come hang out at where the guys from the eatons center moved, they have the tables and there might be tournaments events there from time to time.

(if your wondering, its lawrence and younge, just north of lawrence station) Im a regular there on tuesdays. just look for blue and purple nids, or alot of space wolves painted their normal colours and its probably me

also note, when they WERE in the eatons centre, they held tournaments and they were FAR from a battle bunker, with like 3 tables all of which were only 4 by 4.

the new place has 6 6 by 4 tables which are FILLED regularly

1 6 by 4 and 1 4 by 4 they have with displays on which they will move on those days people really wana play aswell

SilverWarlock
09-08-2009, 20:48

Silver, tournament or not, come hang out at where the guys from the eatons center moved, they have the tables and there might be tournaments events there from time to time.

(if your wondering, its lawrence and younge, just north of lawrence station) Im a regular there on tuesdays. just look for blue and purple nids, or alot of space wolves painted their normal colours and its probably me

also note, when they WERE in the eatons centre, they held tournaments and they were FAR from a battle bunker, with like 3 tables all of which were only 4 by 4.

the new place has 6 6 by 4 tables which are FILLED regularly

1 6 by 4 and 1 4 by 4 they have with displays on which they will move on those days people really wana play aswell

oh my ! the GW store actually started using their own regulation tables ! that's new.

I didn't go to the eaton center much because of that, I can get up to yonge and lawrence though. Called them today and the guy said they hosted tournaments.

Getting back into fantasy more than 40K (40K was always great if I didn't feel like having to think much but that side of it also made the average age about 10 years younger and my tolerance of 15 and under is rather low) should be a nice bike ride up there to check it out, then I guess I'll have to use the TTC when I have an army to carry.

Though I guess ill get the info first hand from them, what's the regularity of tournaments ? vet nights still tuesdays for fantasy and thursdays for 40K ? Do they allow partially painted ? (my ogres I want to play are half done and will take me at least a month to finish) Point counts 2000 fantasy 1500 40K?

I'll definitely pop up there, will take me 30-45 min by TTC (from Bathurst and College) so that shouldnt be bad. If they host tournaments regularly it sounds like the bunker just got merged with the eaton center store and shifted to a much more convenient location.

Damien

lcfr
09-08-2009, 22:01

Wow, this is news to me (I rarely play any games at the GW stores), when did it close?

Darkness_of_the_wolf
09-08-2009, 23:30
Wow, this is news to me (I rarely play any games at the GW stores), when did it close?

never closed, it moved to lawrence and young, and that was a decent time ago, about a year ago from now.

Trust me, the new place is well worth the extra time to go