PDA

View Full Version : Bad time to start Dark Eldar?

Gorthaur
10-08-2009, 00:53
I just bought Dawn of War Soulstorm and it got me interested in possibly starting Dark Eldar but I know their codex and models are pretty outdated, I love the look of the warriors, raiders and incubi...and I know GW may release a codex for them within the next 5 years. But im worried I wont like the direction GW will take with the new DE codex...if they make them more like the Dark Elves from WHFB with scale cloaks and high up thigh boots I wont even want to start DE. At the most ill do a 500 or 750 pt force for them, keep it simple.

AFnord
10-08-2009, 00:58
As it stands, it's likely that DE will be the codex released after space puppies, although we really don't have any hard facts.

Most of the model range will most likely be re-done, as the current model range is horrible. There are a few nice models (Dracon, Incubi, some would argue that the witchers are good as well), and some acceptable ones (warriors & raiders plus models based on the raider kit), but the model range really needs a face lift.

If I were you, I would wait for the new codex. Dark eldar is a playable army, although it's very limited in working playstyles.

Axis
10-08-2009, 01:01
Unless you really dislike the models it is never a bad time to start dark eldar.

Gorthaur
10-08-2009, 01:17
how well would they do at 500 pts? I know people always try and get me to bump it up to 1k or higher but I really dont have alot of time or money on my hands, and my friend is doing 500 pts of chaos so it would work well.

Raven1
10-08-2009, 01:22
Well, 500 points is almost nothing, in fact you would be hard pressed to fit 1 HQ, and 2 Troops choices in my mind. The nice thing about Dark Eldar, and especially against a marine opponent at 500 points is that you will out number him. Dark Eldar are cheap, fragile and plentiful. Where as the CSM will not be.

I have a 1.5k list on paper and my DE squads in raiders are 171 points, and my Archon is 185 I think. Which following the normal Force Org (1HQ and 2 Troops) chart puts me at 527 points. You could bare bones it and get there as far as gear goes, but I would suggest you bum it up 250 to 500 points more.

As far as it being a bad time to start DE, they are supposed to be released with new codex and model range soon, but that's been said since last year or so. The Codex while very old, is still very competitive. The different lists as far as ultra competitive don't vary much but neither do any of the other codexes. I would not suggest however it be a first army. They are not forgiving of mistakes because of their frail troops and vehicles. Personally I would suggest a more forgiving army like (i hate to say it) Space Marines, the Orks and IG as far as I'm concerned also do well with people new to the hobby.

starlight
10-08-2009, 01:30
Well played DE are very good at lower point games (up to 1.5k, after which they start to suffer from outdated rules and limited unit selection). :) They won't have an update for at least 12-18 months, so buy/convert the models you like and play the small point games with your buddy until then. By the time the new line is out, you'll have a handle on their play-style and some nice minis. When the new line is released you'll be able to adapt quickly and update anything you find appealing in the new range. :)

Splata
10-08-2009, 03:23
DE can be an absolute menace at 500 points as we can fit in 2 troops 2 heavies and a HQ basically moping the floor with whatever is thrown at us. This army would however be quite boring...

500 points is a little limiting but if your friend and you play around with different restrictions then they will be fine.

I have no idea what direction the DE are going in but as long as they don't change the playstyle of them too much (ie. I really like my fast, low armour army that is all quick punch and no mistake) then I'll be quite happy.

Just be careful about your choices as 50% of our codex is terrible although thanks to planetstrike now have their uses.

big squig
10-08-2009, 03:27
I'd say there might be a small chance that we could see a DE codex sometime in 2010. But, I'd also say there's a small chance GW will talk about redoing DE, but in the end just drop them entirely.

I'd say the greatest chance is a codex in 2011 or 2012.

Raven1
10-08-2009, 04:18
A strength that I consider to be withing the DE is the fact that it is still using an outdated codex. You are able to give the squad leaders some nice stuff. I honestly believe that in the new codex sarbytes will no longer have access to agonisers, and it will just be a power weapon. Really now is as good as ever as people have said, if not better before the DE codex is brought in line with the new style.

Troah
10-08-2009, 04:33
It's never a bad time to get into Dark Eldar. They are still an amazingly fun army to play with and win with.....Not that I'd know what that feeling is. :D

Iceheart2112
10-08-2009, 05:12
In my experience, they either win big or die quick. I don't think I've ever seen a tie or draw from a Dark Eldar game. While they're very much a finesse army, they do have some great gear and units to choose from, which will help with starting them up.

Gorthaur
10-08-2009, 05:56
I dont have the codex yet, ill have to buy it online since no GW store or independant store carries DE stuff. ill probably buy the codex and the raider with squad of 8 boxed set as a start, I dont really like the look of the jetbikes or most of the metal models, so I want to avoid using them...ill have to make my own Archon cause the current model is hidious.

pringles978
10-08-2009, 13:06
ive just started a small force, more for the conversion/painting potential (thanks doghouse). i figure wyches and warriors should be in the new codex, so i should be safe enough.

if i wasnt converting though... i would probably wait for the new codex and models. considering the leaps in sculpting in the 10yrs plus since te current codex was released we should be in for something special

Col_Festus
10-08-2009, 13:35
I would recommend you wait. If you have little time to invest in an army no point to invest it in models that will most likely be completely redone. For example in 2nd edition (the edition before this last dex came out) Dark Eldar were Chaos Eldar. For 3rd edition they were COMPLETELY redone. So who knows what direction they will go with this new release (if it ever makes it out). Sure they are in the rulebook but GW has done crazier things before (like destroying a whole race **cough** Squats **cough**).
Also the army list is so old they may not even function like they used to once it is redone. The problem with older codecies is that they usually have a mix of useless (or completely broken) units which doesn't really give you the real experience of 40k. It's certainly been my biggest problem with the hobby that there is a lack of support for certain armies. Also another problem I find with older codecies is that they are really limited to a handful if not one play style in order to be competitive, not really a good way to get into 40k (personally I enjoy painted up different units and being able to mix and match). If you like the way the Dark Eldar work you can easily play a Harliquin army that "count as" Eldar or Eldar pirates for that matter. Oh and finally if I recall the entire DE range is direct only now...
Also the wait maybe long, if I recall it was stated they were slated for after necrons. Next up apparently is Blood Angels/Nids (speculated which order) followed by Necrons then DE (Legion dexs for Chaos may appear somewhere in there..) So earliest they are getting new models and fresh army supports would possibly be mid to late 2011. It has also been state several times that they were "the next army coming" only to be pushed back. Hell I remember when GW stated they would be the first army released for 5th edition haha, bring on the smurfs.
If you are looking for an army that is alot of fun, and give you tons of modelling variety I highly recomend Orks, or IG. Both are new dexs and both have fairly strong support. Multiple lists can be built from each army and most of the range is in plastic which is easier to work with.

Tokamak
10-08-2009, 13:52
As it stands, it's likely that DE will be the codex released after space puppies.

It really isn't likely at all.

Captain Micha
10-08-2009, 14:55
I just bought Dawn of War Soulstorm and it got me interested in possibly starting Dark Eldar but I know their codex and models are pretty outdated, I love the look of the warriors, raiders and incubi...and I know GW may release a codex for them within the next 5 years. But im worried I wont like the direction GW will take with the new DE codex...if they make them more like the Dark Elves from WHFB with scale cloaks and high up thigh boots I wont even want to start DE. At the most ill do a 500 or 750 pt force for them, keep it simple.

Supposedly DE are just around the corner but they've been lying about that for Two Editions and Seven Space Marine Codexs instead now.

Now might be the perfect time to get into DE *but instead of buying thos ugly ugly hideous models, you could get into converting wood elf, high elf, dark elf and Eldar stuff to make your own!* By the time you have learned the basics of the army you get what I call the New Army Effect, where basically any underpowered, and undergunned weak units you were taking before *because you had a really awesome idea for a conversion or thought it was neat*, suddenly get super buffed, and your small victories with said units, become huge ones because the army becomes much easier to use.

I used to do this very thing wth my Imperial Guard, I started playing rather than just collecting them specifically because the new dex was coming soon, and I got used to playing them Gimped. Once the Buffs rolled out well... I think My W/L says it all :p

I'm pretty sure you'll like where the Dark Eldar are going if you like Dawn Of War's Dark Eldar. Gw seems to have decided to actually learn from someone else for a change, and since the DOW games *imo* ALL armies have started playing better for it after new codexes have been released.

the1stpip
10-08-2009, 16:03
Everyone is beefing about the ugly models, but he has already said he likes them (I'm with you for the Raiders and stuff. I converted my Warriors from Corsairs and Dark Eldar Warriors).

They are incredibly cheap to pick up off of ebay, and they work well at lower points, so go for it. I can't imagine they will be radically changed when the new codex is released (yes people, I said WHEN).

Go for it, they are a fun army to play, and you will find your tactics with other armies will also improve.

Atherakhia
10-08-2009, 16:18
Unless you really dislike the models it is never a bad time to start dark eldar.

That's exactly what I was about to say

The_Dragon_Rising
10-08-2009, 16:24
At lower points DE are actually very good. Get your archon/archite to the enemy and that in itself is often a win.

At 750pts a while back I ran:

Archite w/Shadow Field, Combat Drugs, 25pt weapon config of your choice

9 Wyches w/Succubus Agoniser, Wych Weapons- Horrorfex Raider
10 Wyches w/Succubus Agoniser, Wych Weapons- Horrorfex Raider

Ravager w/ Horrorfex

Deus Mechanicus
10-08-2009, 16:24
Dark Eldar is about a year away, and have been for a few years :)

Gorthaur
10-08-2009, 17:46
I would recommend you wait. If you have little time to invest in an army no point to invest it in models that will most likely be completely redone. For example in 2nd edition (the edition before this last dex came out) Dark Eldar were Chaos Eldar. For 3rd edition they were COMPLETELY redone. So who knows what direction they will go with this new release (if it ever makes it out). Sure they are in the rulebook but GW has done crazier things before (like destroying a whole race **cough** Squats **cough**).
Also the army list is so old they may not even function like they used to once it is redone. The problem with older codecies is that they usually have a mix of useless (or completely broken) units which doesn't really give you the real experience of 40k. It's certainly been my biggest problem with the hobby that there is a lack of support for certain armies. Also another problem I find with older codecies is that they are really limited to a handful if not one play style in order to be competitive, not really a good way to get into 40k (personally I enjoy painted up different units and being able to mix and match). If you like the way the Dark Eldar work you can easily play a Harliquin army that "count as" Eldar or Eldar pirates for that matter. Oh and finally if I recall the entire DE range is direct only now...
Also the wait maybe long, if I recall it was stated they were slated for after necrons. Next up apparently is Blood Angels/Nids (speculated which order) followed by Necrons then DE (Legion dexs for Chaos may appear somewhere in there..) So earliest they are getting new models and fresh army supports would possibly be mid to late 2011. It has also been state several times that they were "the next army coming" only to be pushed back. Hell I remember when GW stated they would be the first army released for 5th edition haha, bring on the smurfs.
If you are looking for an army that is alot of fun, and give you tons of modelling variety I highly recomend Orks, or IG. Both are new dexs and both have fairly strong support. Multiple lists can be built from each army and most of the range is in plastic which is easier to work with.

GW really needs to calm down with the imperial/space marine stuff, even with terrian....where the hell is my eldar webway gate and necron obelisk? Blood Angels can wait, what are those people thinking....the models dont bother me, and I will be using mostly raiders and warriors trying to avoid wyches and all the metal minis except the archon. 500-750 pts isnt a huge investment, and ill be 19 in 2011, heavens knows where ill be or what ill be doing by then. I have dont Vostroyan IG, I might decide to do Orks with my friend, and we will both pitch in money and get the new big 40k starter set.

Souleater
10-08-2009, 19:27
I just bought Dawn of War Soulstorm and it got me interested in possibly starting Dark Eldar but I know their codex and models are pretty outdated, I love the look of the warriors, raiders and incubi...

Stop right there, young Sybarite!

...I love the look of the warriors, raiders and incubi...

Then enjoy!

It may still be a year or two before the Dark Eldar see the light of the mortal realm but I doubt they are going to be running around in thigh length boots...well the Wyches might...but probably more like knee length...

Pick some up cheap on ebay as others have suggested. At worst you will 'only' have perfected your Kabal's paint scheme and got an idea of how Dark Eldar play.

shaso_iceborn
10-08-2009, 19:32
Dark Eldar is about a year away, and have been for a few years :)

actually they are 1yr 10 months and 10 days away (lol just a random number for fun) rumor had it a while back though that it would be June 2011 so I might be somewhat right but I am not serious about the date.

starlight
10-08-2009, 20:09
You're half right. :D

Gorthaur
10-08-2009, 20:36
Stop right there, young Sybarite!

Then enjoy!

It may still be a year or two before the Dark Eldar see the light of the mortal realm but I doubt they are going to be running around in thigh length boots...well the Wyches might...but probably more like knee length...

Pick some up cheap on ebay as others have suggested. At worst you will 'only' have perfected your Kabal's play scheme and got an idea of how Dark Eldar play.

the conversions alot of people do mixing dark elf and dark eldar bits makes me want to vomit, the corsairs look awful, so long as GW makes them look like an updated version of what they are now. No clue as to how I will paint them though.

Col_Festus
10-08-2009, 20:38
The orks from Black reach are fairly nice actually and fairly cheap. Check out the www.thewarstore.com You can get ork mobs off there cheap cheap.

the1stpip
10-08-2009, 22:14
When did it change to Orks?

Nobody knows when DE are coming out. Even GW don't know, they may have a projection, but that is subject to change.

kazkal
10-08-2009, 22:44
As it stands, it's likely that DE will be the codex released after space puppies, although we really don't have any hard facts.

Most of the model range will most likely be re-done, as the current model range is horrible. There are a few nice models (Dracon, Incubi, some would argue that the witchers are good as well), and some acceptable ones (warriors & raiders plus models based on the raider kit), but the model range really needs a face lift.

If I were you, I would wait for the new codex. Dark eldar is a playable army, although it's very limited in working playstyles.

I liked the spikey guardian look of their standard troopers lol.

Gorthaur
10-08-2009, 23:00
When did it change to Orks?

Nobody knows when DE are coming out. Even GW don't know, they may have a projection, but that is subject to change.

It didnt, my friend and I are going to buy assault on black reach and I am going to keep the Orks, im still going to do Dark Eldar.

shaso_iceborn
10-08-2009, 23:01
Ironically I just heard from a rather well informed source.

Spacewolves next
then Blood angels
then Tyranids
then Dark Eldar
he has no news after Dark Eldar but says they are early 2011 source withheld to keep him autonomous so he can keep some rumors coming

IhasAshuvel
10-08-2009, 23:04

Spacewolves next
then Blood angels
then Tyranids
then Dark Eldar
he has no news after Dark Eldar but says they are early 2011 source withheld to keep him autonomous so he can keep some rumors coming

2 xenos codices in a row? I cast doubt upon your information sir, surely GW would never let that happen.

starlight
10-08-2009, 23:05
Close, very close...but missing a few... :angel:

And the likelihood of two Xenos books back to back is...*possible*...but not those two... ;)

Gorthaur
10-08-2009, 23:21

Spacewolves next
then Blood angels
then Tyranids
then Dark Eldar

The Tyranids are in no need of an update nearly as much as Dark Eldar, GW should be ashamed, and they are going to re do chaos dwarfs? They cant even keep up with the current armies, but instead of keeping up to date with the current armies they keep on adding side codexes like the black templars, blood angels and space wolves, all of which are space marines which is sickening.

starlight
10-08-2009, 23:27
They're just providing what sells... :(

Gorthaur
10-08-2009, 23:30
They're just providing what sells... :(

I dont think they understand that if something is not selling, theres a reason and if they fix that reason people will start buying it again. If the Dark Eldar codex was redone, alot more people would take an interest in Dark Eldar not many people care for Dark Eldar cause they havent been touched since the 3rd edition.

BrotherMoses
11-08-2009, 04:35
Won't a lot of their old stuff be on sale on Ebay when they do get new models? Might be a cheap way of starting it.

Gorthaur
11-08-2009, 07:24
What are some good 500-750 point builds? or what should I aim for...I know I personally and most definately want to avoid all of the metal models except the incubi, Dark Lance warriors on foot and haemonoculus and I would have to convert my own Archon or Dracon. I will probably have alot of warrior raider squads, how good are the haemonoculus too? I also heard two Dracons are better than one archon too.

Gorthaur
13-08-2009, 08:33
I think I might use this list for now:

HQ: Dracon w/ Agonizer, Splinter Pistol, Plasma Grenades and Shadowfield. 83pts (Rides w/ either Wyches or Raider Squad)

Elites: 6 Wyches with Wych Weapons, Plasma Grenades and Succubus w/ Agoniser mounted on Raider. 167 pts

Raider Squad: 7 Warriors with Splinter Cannon and Sybarite w/ Agoniser and Plasma Grenades mounted on a Raider. 149 pts

Warrior Squad: 10 Warriors w/ 2 Dark Lances 100 pts

Total: 499 pts

good or not so good? I picked it off another Dark Eldar thread using search. If I use this list I will build it up to 750 points when my friend decided to bump his SM to 750. What would be some good add ons to this list at 750pt?

how should I paint them? Like the Kabal of the Black Heart DOW Soulstorm style with silver helms on warriors, purple eyes and their symbol is a twisted evil heart with a smiley face that has one eye rolling in the back of its head...their armor is a very very dull dark blue armor like this pic:

http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/GAMES/large/Warhammer_40000_Soulstormscr_007-large.jpg

or... like this, Kabal of the All Seeing Eye which is black, gold trim and red helms their simple is a burning red and yellow sickened eye:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3348/3607009894_8bb1b0933f.jpg?v=0

the1stpip
13-08-2009, 10:41
Thats good, nothing wrong with that.

kazkal
13-08-2009, 11:42
Spacewolves next
then Blood angels
then Tyranids
then Dark Eldar

That's what 3? imperium codex's in a row? Ya as much as GW loves Space Marines I don't see that happening.

[quote]but instead of keeping up to date with the current armies they keep on adding side codexes like the black templars, blood angels and space wolves, all of which are space marines which is sickening.[/quote

As a Templar Player I agree,They either should make a Close Combat Codex for Space Wolves,Blood Angels & Black Templar or atleast give the Xenos new codex's that need it first....Necrons & Dark Eldar both need some love and Tau & Nids wouldn't hurt to upgrade em for 5th edition...

Brimstone
13-08-2009, 11:50

I don't think so, later next year IMO.

Some of the models are not good but there is nothing to stop you creating your own troop models using Eldar Guardians.

shaso_iceborn
13-08-2009, 15:56
Might not be the best time for DE but........

Might be a good time for the "eaters of the dead" though

I agree late with Brimstone about next yr for Dark Eldar

Newer models and updated rules

IhasAshuvel
14-08-2009, 00:02
I don't think so, later next year IMO.

Ha - I didn't think you'd fall for such an obvious lie.

I mean, how many years have people with inside information ( or even game devs themselves) said this?

Maybe DE are the best troll ever to exist - I mean it has to be pretty good to troll your own community for a decade.

Gorthaur
17-08-2009, 05:56
what are normal Haemonoculi using? I wanted to use the Urien model as a normal haemonoculus is that okay? are they armed the same or will I have to convert it? oh and I have decided to use this list instead:

HQ:
Haemonculi

Troops:
5 X Warriors + Dark Lance in Raider

5 X Warriors + Dark Lance in Raider

Heavy Support:
Ravager + 3 Disintegrators

Ravager + 3 Disintegrators

Total 490

I have 10 remaining pts, thoughts?

Gorthaur
19-08-2009, 20:10
thoughts on the new list anyone? I intend to keep the ravagers back and obliterate everything from afar and send the warriors in raiders to counter anything that comes to close.

Splata
20-08-2009, 03:26
Thoughts? It is a nasty list. One that isn't going to earn you any friends. It is powerful yes but I'm not sure I'd recommend using it much except in a game where both players are aiming to make really vicious lists.

10 points? 2 horrorfexes on the raiders.

Does the haemo have a destructor? is that what the point disparity is there?

Dranthar
20-08-2009, 03:35
oh and I have decided to use this list instead:

Wow, how to lose friends and alienate people in two easy turns! The list is brutal for 500pts. If you want to make it more brutal as Splata said, add horrorfexes to the raiders.

If you want to make friends and still have a good list, drop one ravager and spend the points on upgrading the raider squads (plus scissorhands for the Haemy).

Gorthaur
20-08-2009, 08:53
the more brutal the better, so long as someone doesnt smash my miniatures. I havent picked up the army book yet, so far I have bought 1 raider with 8 warriors, 2 dark lance warriors and the urien model that I will have to convert. And yes the Haemonoculi has a destructor, im not sure how to represent this on the urien model I bought though so I will have to cut off his sword and replace it with a pistol I guess.

The Base
20-08-2009, 19:27
It's not the best time to start, but whenever they remake the codex you will probably still need warriors. So I'd work on them first and ignore trying to make an army of a fixed point value.

Cane
20-08-2009, 19:35
Its always been a bad time to start Dark Eldar! :chrome:

Sorry, had the urge to make a bad joke.

Max_Killfactor
20-08-2009, 19:42
Close, very close...but missing a few... :angel:

And the likelihood of two Xenos books back to back is...*possible*...but not those two... ;)

Yar, it be:

Nids (avoiding 3 imperial releases in a row)
Blood Angels
Dark Eldar
Necrons

Dark Eldar and Necrons are the chance for the 2 xenos books. :cool:

Trust me guys, I'm almost a genius. Seriously, I took an IQ test. Almost got in there. Unless you're a genius, or Brimstone, or Harry, or maybe the Dude... I won't believe you if you tell me I'm wrong.... maybe Starlight too...

Voss
20-08-2009, 20:07
I dont have the codex yet, ill have to buy it online since no GW store or independant store carries DE stuff. ill probably buy the codex and the raider with squad of 8 boxed set as a start, I dont really like the look of the jetbikes or most of the metal models, so I want to avoid using them...ill have to make my own Archon cause the current model is hidious.

Oddly enough, GW has been trying to get my local store to order DE stuff. The store won't carry the whole line, but they have recently (within the last month) gotten the codex, the battleforce box, and a warrior and a raider box. I was confused, to say the least.