PDA

View Full Version : Mono-Khorne WOC, viable?

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 04:31
Just wondering, is a mono-Khorne WoC army viable?
I don't play super competative, so it doesn't need to be an army that is the 40k equivalent of Nob Biker spam to win.

Also, my main opponents will be other WoC and Lizardmen.

Thanks in advance.

TheSanityAssassin
10-08-2009, 05:10
Against other WoC, it could probably work, unless they're dog heavy or have a ton of Marauder horse. If they just let you line up and run at them it's great.

Same with Lizards...if it's lots of Saurus blocks, Temple Guard and maybe a Steggie, you can run in and start butchering.

If you're seeing Skink screens, Terradons and things like Razordons often, or WoC lists that are lots of dogs and Knights you're just going to find yourself running in funny directions and getting flanked a ton. My buddy (a 40k Berzerker player) tried to do this, and while he beat up a fighty Dark Elf list with little to no re-direct, he really suffered against my High Elves and a Dwarf list with a Gyro, as his guys just chased the little flyers until they got smashed in the flank a butchered.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 05:13
Ah, okay. I was thinking of doing it to be very fluffy, but maybe I'll do a pleasure and pain army, or just a majority Khorne one.

TheSanityAssassin
10-08-2009, 05:22
I mean, with lots of thinking through placement, and careful use of dogs it can work. If you're going to go heavy Khorne, maybe some Slaanesh marauders to screen you and not run away?

sulla
10-08-2009, 05:40
I'd be scared to play mono khorne vs another chaos player. I would be expecting dogs, marauder horse and a heap of tzeench casters to balst your force to pieces. What about an undivided scroll caddy on a khorne chariot to negate tyhe worse magic coming your way?

If you're going to go heavy Khorne, maybe some Slaanesh marauders to screen you and not run away?You could just go unmarked marauder horse... Not quite as good as slaaneshis, but not so blatantly powergaming either.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 05:48
Well, right now I'm thinking of having an army with everything but slaanesh, or maybe just even a completely, well, everything army.

mikepm07
10-08-2009, 08:27
At least do an Undivided list (take a lord without a mark), and then it would be fluffy.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 08:38
Well can Exalted Champions take Juggernauts? If not, then I've got a bit of a problem with the one WoC model I have not being useable.

Peregijn
10-08-2009, 08:52
Well can Exalted Champions take Juggernauts? If not, then I've got a bit of a problem with the one WoC model I have not being useable.

wel than this is your lucky day: they can take juggernauts.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 08:57
wel than this is your lucky day: they can take juggernauts.

Yaaay!

Although honestly, I don't want my 300ish point Lord on foot; I'd much rather have a Jugger mounted Lord.

EDIT: Well I suppose I could do an Undivided one on a Daemonic Mount.

kramplarv
10-08-2009, 10:29
At least do an Undivided list (take a lord without a mark), and then it would be fluffy.

Nah, the new fluff dictates that everything goes, is the new fluffy army. :) Back to the old chaos fluff !! :D the "lolz, gods hates each otehr lolz!" are extremely boring and uncharacterful :p

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 10:38
One thing...

:wtf:

EvC
10-08-2009, 10:54
It can indeed work, so long as you make sure to bring a Sorcerer with 2 scrolls to ensure you can actually reach combat...

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 10:58
Well then I'm just going to do an Undivided force.

Okay, could someone please type out which units are "uber" for WoC, which are alright and which are "crap"?

Isabel
10-08-2009, 11:52
You'll get terrible responces with that question lol... Some people will say "this unit" sucks, and someone will follow up with it's great. I think it's more of a personal prefrence thing since you said you're not super competitive. Personally, I prefer anything with a movement of 7 or above. WoC belong in combat asap. But that's looking at it from a competitive point of view.

Good luck with it.

Harwammer
10-08-2009, 15:51
There are a few ways to 'pseudo mark' caddys; sticking unmarked sorcerors on khorne chariots, or putting them in an unmarked unit with a banner of rage does the trick nicely.

Emeraldw
10-08-2009, 16:03
Well then I'm just going to do an Undivided force.

Okay, could someone please type out which units are "uber" for WoC, which are alright and which are "crap"?

The best all around unit from what I have seen are the Knights. Knights are a solid piece of destruction. It is hard to go wrong with them.

Mauders are a cheap core and can screen though I would think dogs are better for that. Warriors can beat down almost any core and some elites on their own, with little help assuming it is a straight up beat down. I would think that blocks of 18 like Saurus could be devastating to stop.

Other than that, I have heard lords are overpriced and Sorcerers with MoT can really lay down the hurt.

eyescrossed
11-08-2009, 01:45
Ah, 'kay. I'm still going to field a Lord though, just for the intimidation factor.

Drachen_Jager
11-08-2009, 02:37
Mono Khorne can beat anything, you probably need a scroll caddy, in my army it's a "slave" empire wizard who is forbidden to cast any spells and is chained to my war shrine. Other than the weakness vs magic it's a powerful force, use Knights en masse to minimize the downsides, not many people can re-direct four 14" charges and if they fail it's not pretty. Warhounds are huge in this kind of army, they will get you there if you use them right. I find it's one of the trickiest ways to play WoC but extremely powerful in the right hands. I won a smaller (24 person) tourney and won 5 of 6 games at a GT with mono Khorne so don't let anyone tell you it's not possible or won't work against some armies.

Lords are OK, I find that a Lord on a Juggernaut with an Enchanted Shield and a Demonsword is pretty effective at taking out the big things (a weak spot since you don't have any magic to deal with them), he can self destruct but even at Str 8 he's still got a 50/50 armour save.

Wednesday Friday Addams
11-08-2009, 02:40
I find it works great at 1k points.

eyescrossed
11-08-2009, 03:10
Well I'll probably get a box of Chaos Warriors, 2 boxes of Flagellants (Marauders) and a box of Chaos Knights.

How many points would a Champion on Jugger, 5 Knights, 12 Warriors and 20 Marauders be, with upgrades and without?

Wednesday Friday Addams
11-08-2009, 03:13
Personally in 1 k a mounted Khorne army with maurader horsemen would be awesome. My experience with warriors is that although they kick ass they are just too slow to keep up with frenzied knights.

eyescrossed
11-08-2009, 03:19
Cool, although I don't think I'll do mono-Khorne.

RipFlag
11-08-2009, 03:41
i personally choose my units by how they look, good choice on the flaggellants, i think they are great models, remember though they are supposed to be on 25mm bases... if you want to play in tournments and stuff.

Also, one the lord issue, he is only good really for when you want to A. take really expencive weapon, or B. good weapon+some kind of save for when you dont actually kill off everything that can fight back.

eyescrossed
11-08-2009, 07:04
i personally choose my units by how they look, good choice on the flaggellants, i think they are great models, remember though they are supposed to be on 25mm bases... if you want to play in tournments and stuff.

Also, one the lord issue, he is only good really for when you want to A. take really expencive weapon, or B. good weapon+some kind of save for when you dont actually kill off everything that can fight back.

Damn... Where am I going to get 25mm bases from?... How many 25mm do the base packs contain?

Oh, and I'll be taking a lot of magic items with the Lord - that's his main point, really.

Harwammer
11-08-2009, 10:10
They are sold on GWs online store (might have to be creative with the search button to find them). I'm sure all sorts of other hobby suppliers will sell 25mm bases too.

Weemo
11-08-2009, 10:24
to be honest, although mono-khorne maybe competitive, it is also one of the most boring armies to play, no magic or shooting, even your movement is dictated by frenzy so all you really have is combat. So every turn is literally, move, combat.

mono-khorne? monotonous yawns

EvC
11-08-2009, 11:17
It relies heavily on movement, typically thinking 2 turns in advance as necessary, sometimes 3. It's a lot like setting up a big pile of Dominoes, and then pushing the first- which is actually very fun!

Though I would still add in marauder horsemen with throwing axes, Bloodcurdling Roar and a Hellcannon for some variety :)

eyescrossed
11-08-2009, 11:47
I actually made a 1000 point list with a Champion on Jugger with some Magic Items I shouldn't disclose (my gaming buddy comes on here ;) ) and Bloodcurdling Roar, 20 Marauders, 12 Warriors, and 5 Knights. Talk about small!

EvC
11-08-2009, 21:21
Yeah I used 750 points of Warriors in a recent doubles tournament, it was basically what you just posted but without the Marauders and Roar. A little small and bland...

eyescrossed
21-08-2009, 00:51
Well it doesn't matter now, since I've decided to collect Dark Elves after reading most of the Malus Darkblade series. Too bad, my Jugger Lord will have to wait.

Emeraldw
21-08-2009, 13:33
Well it doesn't matter now, since I've decided to collect Dark Elves after reading most of the Malus Darkblade series. Too bad, my Jugger Lord will have to wait.

Another one!!!

Sorry, it just feels like everyone and their mother is collected them around me. I was just reading the book once and a guy said, "Your collecting Dark Elves too?" in such a way as if to imply, that everyone was too.

eyescrossed
25-08-2009, 05:09
Another one!!!

Sorry, it just feels like everyone and their mother is collected them around me. I was just reading the book once and a guy said, "Your collecting Dark Elves too?" in such a way as if to imply, that everyone was too.

Hahaha, well in my area barely anyone does.