PDA

View Full Version : Halberds, a must take for WoC?

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 04:49
Hi everyone, I've read somewhere that Halberds are the best choice and always a must for units of Chaos Warriors. Is this true?

Also, which are the best options against Lizzies or other WoC?

Thanks in advance.

daemondog
10-08-2009, 04:58
Not just halberds but the halberd/shield combo. It gives you alot of versatility with one of the best core units in the game. If you are charging a unit then str 5 with the halberds is the way to go. If for whatever reason you don't kill them on the first round of HtH then you don't have to worry about striking last as much due to the high initiative of the warriors. If your being charged then the HW/shield will give a 2+ save.

TheSanityAssassin
10-08-2009, 05:02
They are really great for beating the tar out of people in CC, as S5 is nasty as heck, and gives you a choice between the big armour save with S4 against low toughness or hard hitting ASF troops, or a bit of armour cracking and easy wounds against low toughness/strength things where you need to make up a lot of combat res. Against Lizzies it's nice to break their save down a little bit, and unless your trying to take on Spear saurus across the front at 6 wide, you can probably kill enough to negate their attacks back and really start laying some hurt. They key to breaking Lizards is to beat them by a TON in one combat, and warriors with Halberds can do that. Great Weapons hurt them even more, same with other WoC's, but the problem is that if you don't break them in one shot (or get off the charge) you're kind of beat.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 05:08
Ah, that's good to know.

Thanks for the quick replies :)

TheSanityAssassin
10-08-2009, 05:13
It's a good time for questions, as the couple people actually on see the activity and jump on it!

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 05:14
Ah, hahahaha, well then could you please comment on my Chosen thread? :D

decker_cky
10-08-2009, 05:22
S5, cheaper than great weapons, and lets you take advantage of that beautiful I5? Count me in. Shields should just be considered standard equipment for warriors though, so taking shields goes without saying. You can certainly make a case for great weapon warriors, and though it's not as good as the other options, AHW could be good in the right meta.

Angelust
10-08-2009, 05:43
For some reason I always thought it was illegal to purchase shields and halberds, though I guess it's only illegal to try and use both in the same phase...

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 05:47
Well, I'm definately ordering the bitz pack from GW then!

TheSanityAssassin
10-08-2009, 05:54
if you have a box of Knights, just build some out of the lances I'm sure you won't be using....generally can be done if you've got a few lying around, saves you some cash and uses up bits.

Isabel
10-08-2009, 06:01
if you have a box of Knights, just build some out of the lances I'm sure you won't be using....generally can be done if you've got a few lying around, saves you some cash and uses up bits.

Yea, that's how I made mine and they look great.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 06:01
Oh, right... I don't actually collect them yet...

They're what I'm going to buy next time I can get anything.

But yeah, I'll end up getting 2 boxes of Knights, so I'll have plenty of lances to use.

Dai-Mongar
10-08-2009, 06:55
Also, you could just get your hands on some brass rod and attach sword and axe blades to the ends. A friend of mine has even had success using knitting needles as particularly large spears before.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 07:00
That sounds like a good idea.

galenus
13-08-2009, 16:15
Has anyone even used the new halberd metal bitz? I like the look of them but I've never actually seen a picture of Chaos Warrior models with them.

Avian
13-08-2009, 16:31
I bought a set and I'm quite happy with them (I would have been even happier to get all options in the box, but I just needed one set, so it's no biggie).

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/tarjeiaasen/Warriors%20of%20Chaos/P6080294.jpg

dapredator66
13-08-2009, 17:28
I also made a couple of halberds using extra spears from marauder horsemen and axes from Chaos Warriors. I used the tip of the spears on the top of the axe blade and used the rest of the spears to lengthened the axe.

selone
13-08-2009, 19:29
I like your warriors avian :)