PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing away from multiple units including flyers

meecrob
10-08-2009, 07:27
I recently found myself in a complicated situation involving multiple charges, a flee reaction, interposing models, and flyers. I'll try to break down the chain of events as we did them and then recreate the scenario.

1. Tomb Scorpion (US4, M7) declares a charge against a Chaos Lord on a disc (flyer) 12" away. Imagine the Scorpion charging directly west of the lord.
2. Carrion (US3, flyers) charge the same Lord from about 10" away but from a different direction. The Carrion are northeast of the same lord.
3. 4" directly east of the Lord is a unit of Chaos Warriors.
4. As a charge reaction, the Chaos Lord decides to flee.
Here's the situation below:

--------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------carrion----------------
---------------------Y----------------------------------
----scorpion--------lord--warrior unit----X---------------
-------Z------------------------------------------------

This is how we handled it in-game. The Lord charges away from the scorpion since it has the highest unit strength. It rolled 3d6 that took it over the warrior unit next to it to point X. The scorpion then moved up 7 inches since it was now a failed charge. The carrion, however, we said lined up where the lord was before. My main question is what the carrion would do.
Would they move their full distance of 20" to point Z, line up as if it were fighting the Lord at point Y, or chase down the lord from point X?
We played it as if they just lined up at point Y but I have no idea if that was right or not.

Milgram
10-08-2009, 09:21
they would run down the lord on x and then move on to get the full 20". you go after the lord that you charged, not some position he used to be -> this is also important if skirmishers flee, as the path you would have taken to charge them is not the same way as the path you take to pursuit them.

Kalandros
10-08-2009, 10:23
It will chase you down AFTER you have done your fleeing move, thus from its new position - you do not get to flee from the carrion and thus the Lord is removed from the table because its easily caught by 20" movement of a flyer.

Basically, don't flee.

Zilverug
11-08-2009, 09:04
We'd play that if the 10"+3d6" would be less than the carrion's 20" the lord would be caught, so we assume the lord would be at Y. This keeps it all relatively simple and it is similar to how we handle running down units that break from close combat.

The fluff reasoning behind this is that the charge has already begun at the moment the lord decides to flee, so all chargers are moving in the direction of the initial location of the lord.

Falkman
11-08-2009, 09:08
We'd play that if the 10"+3d6" would be less than the carrion's 20" the lord would be caught, so we assume the lord would be at Y. This keeps it all relatively simple and it is similar to how we handle running down units that break from close combat.

The fluff reasoning behind this is that the charge has already begun at the moment the lord decides to flee, so all chargers are moving in the direction of the initial location of the lord.
That is however completely wrong rules-wise.

Atrahasis
11-08-2009, 09:47
It's at least a little bit right - they weren't sure what to do so they came up with a reasonable solution.

T10
11-08-2009, 10:02
Which is of course the best kind of solution.

-T10

Kalandros
11-08-2009, 13:07

Distance fled can be compared to distance pursued - but not the distance of a charge.

If I flee 5 inches and your charge reach is 18", I do not remove my unit, I complete my flee move then you complete your charge move - if during the charge move you catch the unit, then its removed.

Can't mix pursuit rules with charge rules.

In this specific case, the charge line of the carrion is altered by the new position of his target and he quickly catches his prey.

rtunian
11-08-2009, 13:16
let's change the situation a bit...

-{....7".........}{......5"......}-
us6---------lord----------us5

in this situation, is it impossible for the lord to flee successfully, even if the lord can fly and the us5 can not? or is it only caught if the lord's flee minus the distance to us5 doesn't exceed us5's charge reach?

Kalandros
11-08-2009, 13:17
He can fly over units, no reason to be destroyed when flying OVER an enemy unit.

Atrahasis
11-08-2009, 13:18
It can be possible that a unit cannot escape a charge by fleeing, yes.

EDIT: Assuming both units are charging, and the right hand unit is fast and doesn't need to wheel, it's unlikely the Lord will escape.