PDA

View Full Version : EXTREMELY annoying players

Pages : [1] 2

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 10:53
Yesterday I had my first Fantasy game, which was a 3 way game.

One of the players was horrible.

He would
-Sweep the measuring tape whenever he measured, giving him a HUGE advantage
-Still attack with units that had their whole front rank wiped out
-Charge with Monsters in ways that he had to pivot more than once to be able to make contact, and when we objected, say "But it's only like an inch"
-Use the Lance bonus the turn after he over-ran (as far as I know this is illegal)

and in general know less about the rules than me and the other guy, who were both newcomers.

We would also have endless arguments (the longest being over the sweeping of the tape and the over-running), and he was, generally, not fun to play against.

What are the worst people you have played against, or the worst things that have happened during a game?

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 11:03
One of the players was horrible.

He would
-Sweep the measuring tape whenever he measured, giving him a HUGE advantage
Ask him politely: " You're not trying to cheat, are you? If not, don't wave that tape measure about like a phallic symbol."

-Still attack with units that had their whole front rank wiped out"Are they equipped with spears or pikes? No? Well, the second rank's only role in that case is to act as cannon fodder."

-Charge with Monsters in ways that he had to pivot more than once to be able to make contact, and when we objected, say "But it's only like an inch""Try again, or forget it."

-Use the Lance bonus the turn after he over-ran (as far as I know this is illegal)

and in general know less about the rules than me and the other guy, who were both newcomers.

We would also have endless arguments (the longest being over the sweeping of the tape and the over-running), and he was, generally, not fun to play against.The lance bonus is active as long as cavalry is charging. Request him to read the rules before you play him again. Or don't ever play him again if the experience is too painful to be repeated.

The Red Scourge
10-08-2009, 11:07

When you overrun and come into contact with another enemy unit, you count as charging during the following combat - even though that combat will first occur in the following turn.

For the rest of the topic. Don't waste hours on people who are bad company, this goes for every aspect of life not just WFB. Compare to watching a horribly boring movie, would you sit through or turn it off? :)

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 11:28
Ask him politely: " You're not trying to cheat, are you? If not, don't wave that tape measure about like a phallic symbol."
"Are they equipped with spears or pikes? No? Well, the second rank's only role in that case is to act as cannon fodder."
"Try again, or forget it."
The lance bonus is active as long as cavalry is charging. Request him to read the rules before you play him again. Or don't ever play him again if the experience is too painful to be repeated.

With the measuring tape, first time he did it, we said "Don't do that". Second time, we said it again. Third time we nearly yelled at him.

In his defense, we all attacked when all the front rank got wiped out, but then I remembered about it in game halfway through. Oh, he'd also shoot with 2 ranks even when not on a hill. He's one of those players who goes by logic and houserules everything, even though he's apparently read the whole rulebook 5 times. Funny how he can't remember the rules.

For the rest of the topic. Don't waste hours on people who are bad company, this goes for every aspect of life not just WFB. Compare to watching a horribly boring movie, would you sit through or turn it off? :)

It was hard since I was at a friend's house where the point was to play a game.

Ultimate Life Form
10-08-2009, 11:49
I have sometimes gotten the feedback that I'm an EXTREMELY annoying player as well (though I don't perceive myself that way).

The reason? Because I insist everything always be played 100% along the (sometimes blocky or illogical) rules.

You see, it works the other way around, too. Don't want to know what he wrote about you in some other forum.:D

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 11:57
I have sometimes gotten the feedback that I'm an EXTREMELY annoying player as well (though I don't perceive myself that way).

The reason? Because I insist everything always be played 100% along the (sometimes blocky or illogical) rules.

You see, it works the other way around, too. Don't want to know what he wrote about you in some other forum.:D

I'm like you, but I will agree with people sometimes if they want to do something, such as remove the absurd rule in 40k that you can kill a whole unit with shooting if you can see one model.

But, he was "house ruling" everything, such as the fighting in 2 ranks, shooting in 2 ranks, the other examples I gave above, etc.
The thing is though, he didn't realise they were house rules.

I've read the rules once and I know more than a 2 year Fantasy player.

Blizzinam
10-08-2009, 12:41
What do you mean by sweeping the measuring tape? I'm not going to abuse it, ive just never heard of it.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 12:47
What do you mean by sweeping the measuring tape? I'm not going to abuse it, ive just never heard of it.

Well instead of measuring from one unit to another, he would measure to it, then pivot the measuring tape from side to side, basically giving him a view to how far away everything was.

Gimp
10-08-2009, 12:52

Yeah I dont understand that one as well. Maybe mu english sucks.

Yeah I have never had the problem of people not knowing the rules or cheating but there are some really annoyiing players out there.

eyescrossed
10-08-2009, 12:54
Look above to see the answer.

Gimp
10-08-2009, 13:00
Look above to see the answer.

yeah you were too fast for me.

Vermin-thing
10-08-2009, 13:08
I HATE people that back seat game. I was playing this guy at my not-so-local GW (my empire vs his DE) and it was his turn. he shot my outriders with repeater crossbows, and ended up getting 5 wounds. I was about to roll for saves, and another guy walked up and said "there all dead".

I'm like: "lol wut". I still have a 6+ save. (light armor + mount)

Hes like: "Na ya da fool, it says so in the rule book". (BS)

He then continued to defend his misguided rules, and I just wanted him too shut the ******** up, and removed the whole damn unit.

That cost me the game. :(

I also hate people who "think" they know the rules but are veryyy wrong about it.

That same game he told me (the more experienced, and better player) that I should have placed my cannon on top of a hill on the very right hand corner of the board.

I laughed, and explained that I put it in the swap for a reason, and as it is now I can hit more stuff from here than on the dumb hill.

Ghads, it makes me sad how ignorant some people are.

Nuada
10-08-2009, 13:39
What are the worst people you have played against, or the worst things that have happened during a game?

I've played against one particular guy twice. Never again. He mentions every 5 mins that he never plays to win, but he's very competitive and becomes angry if you start winning. It's embarrassing playing against him, he's an adult. His 2 armies are Vampires and Daemons. I beat him with orcs, he then spent a good 20 mins complaining about orcs and goblins, telling me how cheesy they are. His parting words were .."i'm never playing against you ever again!" ... which is fine by me ...(he did actually try and arrange a game with me recently, but i said i was busy)

I can't be bothered to play against people like that. I also found out that he'd also cheated in the game with some VC units/spells/magic items. It's a game, it's really not worth it.

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 13:43
What are his Demon and Vampire lists? I'm sure there were very "fun" and "not competitive."

NakedBarbarian
10-08-2009, 13:51
What annoys me? Pretty much everything everyone else has mentioned but in particular WAAC'ers.

I'm completely ok with people misinterpreting rules accidently, as i have done this myself before, my brain isn't 100% on the ball after a full day of work either. What annoys the crap out of me is people lying to me or cheating purposely(always WAAC gamers[the ones i've met always seem to suffer from a mild retardation) when they use an army im not familiar with. That is why ive made it my mission to collect and familiarise myself with their rules.

Nuada
10-08-2009, 13:58
What are his Demon and Vampire lists? I'm sure there were very "fun" and "not competitive."

From what i remember, DoC was almost all khorne;
Bloodthirster
skulltaker
herald BSB with -2 to casting banner on jugger
another herald i think?
15 BL, full cmd
15 BL, full cmd
15 BL, full cmd
5 fleshhounds (maybe caramak in one? can't remember)
5 fleshhounds
6 flamers

VCs was;
Vampire Lord on horse, lance, 1+ Armour, gem that saves power dice, lvl 4, and other stuff
Wight King BSB 5+ killing blow, rebound gem
Vampire- lvl2 other magic stuff
Necromancer power stone, cast lots of zombies item

20 skeleton warriors, full cmd ...necro
20 skeleton warriors, full cmd ...lvl2 vamp here
20 zombies, std, mus
7 Dire Wolves
8 black knights ..wight king and vamp lord here
5 Cairn Wraiths
3 Fell Bats
20 Grave Guard, great weapons, full cmd
Varghulf

Neither tourny lists, but it's not the winning or losing for me that matters. I agree with NakedBarbarian, people make mistakes, that's fine. Sometimes my mate forgets things about his army (his memory is terrible) we don't mind going back and rerolling everything over again. I'd rather be masacred and a have good game and a laugh myself. It's not just me, most people i know refuse to have a game with him.

stiggie
10-08-2009, 14:02
the worst guy i have ever played against was at my local GW store..

it was my lizardmen vs his Skaven 2000 points..

he had the giant bell thing, lots of ratlings, 3 warp cannons, grayseer and all his heros were spellcasters with warp stones.. it was such a cheesey army.. but i managed to get my oldblood on carnosaur into his flank due to lucky terrain deployment (we scatter terrain randomly). all his units were in a line from one side of the board to the other. i charged the first unit and he elected to flee. the unit ran through his entire army. i told him to take a panic check for every unit it ran through and he was like "no they dont need to".... there was like another 2 units within the charge range of the carnosaur (due to them being in a line) so i was like "ok ill charge into that unit instead" and he was like "no you cant..." he uses the cheesiest armies and then changes the rules to how he wants.. and what makes it worse..

HE USED TO BE GW STAFF... wonder why he isnt nemore :)

NakedBarbarian
10-08-2009, 14:04
Also people just sitting their rolling dice and not telling me what its for, that just makes me wanna go postal.

Vidar
10-08-2009, 14:08
-Charge with Monsters in ways that he had to pivot more than once to be able to make contact, and when we objected, say "But it's only like an inch"

"Try again, or forget it."

Kinda offtopic, but how should he try again when there is no way to know where the monster started?

I've had some arguments with opponents sometimes. I placed my harpies so his Khorne Knights would charge them and open up for a flank charge. When I declare the harpies are cought he moves his knights so they overrun into the unit that was supposed to flank charge them next turn. I object and say he should make his move again slowly so I can follow. He repeats the charge and now he gets even more models in combat:wtf:

I can't ask my oppontents to mark the starting position of their units before the chargers are moved can I?

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 14:10
Also people just sitting their rolling dice and not telling me what its for, that just makes me wanna go postal.

Or rolling dice and then saying what it is afterward. I admit I accidentally do that occasionally without realizing it but sometimes (I hear my internal thoughts why can't my opponent durr???) it seems like the outcome when that happens is always good...

You say that like knowing the rules well is fundamental to being employed at Games Workshop on any level of the staff.

Lord Malorne
10-08-2009, 14:11
I can't ask my oppontents to mark the starting position of their units before the chargers are moved can I?

I'm pretty sure you do charge reactions before moving chargers.

On topic, players who give up during a game are annoying, the other things listed by other members are annoying but tend to be atributed to kids most of the time, though sadly not all the time.

Vidar
10-08-2009, 14:16
I'm pretty sure you do charge reactions before moving chargers.

Yes, but he was overrunning, so he had already moved his unit.

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 14:17
Kinda offtopic, but how should he try again when there is no way to know where the monster started?

I've had some arguments with opponents sometimes. I placed my harpies so his Khorne Knights would charge them and open up for a flank charge. When I declare the harpies are cought he moves his knights so they overrun into the unit that was supposed to flank charge them next turn. I object and say he should make his move again slowly so I can follow. He repeats the charge and now he gets even more models in combat:wtf:

I don't see why you couldn't, especially when it really matter like in the situation you described. A lot of people are horrible with moving their units so it helps to put a dice at the corner they are wheeling to keep everything straight.

It's a pretty simple request so make sure that things are done properly so if anyone protested it would be obvious they are trying to game the system. A guy I play occasionally makes people do it and no one has complained yet. I would too but most of the time I don't really care or it's usually obvious enough to not make a difference but if I was setting up something clever I'd be pissed if a guy got an extra 3" out of a funny wheel.

Vermin-thing
10-08-2009, 14:18

He, for all our sakes should be properly measuring, and then moving his unit(s) into combat.

Did his knights have LoS (line of sight) into your flanking unit? If they didn't have LoS he was cheating, and they should have went straight forward. If they were in charge range, and within LoS he could over run into your unit. (unless there was another closer unit)

Thats generally a good idea when doing over runs as it can be a bit fidgety.

EDIT: ninja'd by Ixquic

theunwantedbeing
10-08-2009, 14:22
I'm sure I annoy a lot of people.

Telling people:
-to roll again
-that such and such a dice is cocked
-what they just did isnt possible/legal
-to put the tape measure on the table instead of hover it above their models
-to keep the tape measure on the table while they move instead of doing it by eye
-that their list was over the limit/illegal the previous game

But nobody complains, so either I'm so terrifying that nobody has the guts to tell me I'm annoying them and that I should quit it(yet they still play me). Or people really havent got a problem with it.

Vidar
10-08-2009, 14:27
I don't see why you couldn't, especially when it really matter like in the situation you described. A lot of people are horrible with moving their units so it helps to put a dice at the corner they are wheeling to keep everything straight.

It's a pretty simple request so make sure that things are done properly so if anyone protested it would be obvious they are trying to game the system.

To me it seemed clear he couldn't clip the flankers, so I didn't think of placing dice.

I've had a lot of situations like these, so I've made some wheel gauges, LOS checkers and stuff. While this prevents "mistakes", I have seen that some people dislike me using them (for slowing the game down). Like Ultimate Life Form I have been called annoying for wanting to do things correctly.

I started Dark Elves in 6th editon, careful placement and tactics was all I had back then...

Lord Malorne
10-08-2009, 14:28
To me it seemed clear he couldn't clip the flankers, so I didn't think of placing dice.

I've had a lot of situations like these, so I've made some wheel gauges, LOS checkers and stuff. While this prevents "mistakes", I have seen that some people dislike me using them (for slowing the game down). Like Ultimate Life Form I have been called annoying for wanting to do things correctly.

Slowing the game down?

Are they in a rush :eyebrows:.

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 14:31
I'm sure I annoy a lot of people.

Telling people:
-to roll again
-that such and such a dice is cocked
-what they just did isnt possible/legal
-to put the tape measure on the table instead of hover it above their models
-to keep the tape measure on the table while they move instead of doing it by eye
-that their list was over the limit/illegal the previous game

But nobody complains, so either I'm so terrifying that nobody has the guts to tell me I'm annoying them and that I should quit it(yet they still play me). Or people really havent got a problem with it.

personaly i wouldn't find any of that annoying, i would find it helpful.

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 14:33
"Playing the game correctly" also means "stopping me from letting my stuff do what I want regardless of if they should be able to." I typically don't care what that sort of player thinks.

Vidar
10-08-2009, 14:34
Slowing the game down?

Are they in a rush :eyebrows:.

Most of the time yes. While annoying, I can't object to that. We all have lives and obligations...
Nearly everybody here has moved to 40k, so I'm lucky if I can get a game.

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 14:51

I can't ask my oppontents to mark the starting position of their units before the chargers are moved can I?Might only be my personal experience, but most players and their opponents have a fairly decent idea from where their units were placed at the start of the turn before movement. And if you're planning to experiment, you usually mark your starting position.

rtunian
10-08-2009, 15:17

or maybe they saw what you did to that one girl who did complain
(ha-HA! i have referenced that which your sig asks not to reference! oh, clever is i, is i, is i oh how clever is i :rolleyes:)

anyway... i too try to play the game "the right way", and since i'm a noob still, that sometimes means stopping the game for a few minutes to find out exactly what's supposed to happen.

since we're playing at my house most of the time, i get away with that, but i do know it's annoying. whenever it takes more than a couple of minutes, though, i just write down the question and post it here afterwards.

hopefully i'll get better/faster at playing... and sooner, rather than later!

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 15:27
nothing wrong with occasionally taking a pause to clarify things, as long as it isn't someone trying to learn giant swaths of the rules mid-game. if nothing else it allows everyone to resolve the issue and get their minds back on the table, and we all have to start somewhere.

last game we had a circumstance in which we needed to know what happened if the D6" from an animosity roll of 6 brought a unit into contact with a fear-causing enemy, but the unit failed its fear test on the charge. that's worth sorting out.

Nuada
10-08-2009, 15:46
last game we had a circumstance in which we needed to know what happened if the D6" from an animosity roll of 6 brought a unit into contact with a fear-causing enemy, but the unit failed its fear test on the charge. that's worth sorting out.

Animosity happens before you declare charges, so couldn't happen. But i see what you mean, sometimes it's worth pausing and checking these things out. They can change a game.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 15:52
yeah i was under the impression that it counts as a charge if the D6" brought you into contact with enemy units, but i'm honestly not familiar enough with the O&G rules to remember. i think my assumption in this case was just that they'd have to stop an inch away, but i didn't pretend to know the actual answer.

twas basically the first game in which i played against O&G. it shall forever be remembered for freaking out when i wasn't thinking and my general's unit triggered three fanatics, and for my black knights' + dread knight vamp's juicy juicy flank charge into 40 night goblins.

rtunian
10-08-2009, 15:56
we'll show'em (animosity roll of 6) results that take you into combat count as a charge that ignores psychology, and only allows "hold" or "flee" reaction

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 16:00
we'll show'em (animosity roll of 6) results that take you into combat count as a charge that ignores psychology, and only allows "hold" or "flee" reaction

and there you have it.

funny thing was that it was a unit of five wolf riders against a full unit of skeletons with command, and they didn't even want to charge.

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 16:04
funny thing was that it was a unit of five wolf riders against a full unit of skeletons with command, and they didn't even want to charge.

they obvously did want to charge, it's just the general sat behind them shouting "DON'T DO THAT!!!".

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 16:20
haha. touche. it was the first time i'd really seen animosity in all its hilarious glory.

the wolf riders on the other side of the table that were meant to march block my dire wolves and tie up my general squabbled on turns one and two. the orc boys that were lined up against my skeletons and wight king squabbled and lost a rank after the black orc general killed three of them before either of us could get into charge range, but not before basically guaranteeing me the 'defeated by an outnumbering fear-causing enemy' autobreak.

put that on top of goblins having to test for fear before everything they did and they really stood no chance at all...

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 16:47
I know I annoy one player if I remind his opponent that he has forgotten something, like the effects of RiP spells.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 17:07
most of my opponents don't mind me reminding them of things. although i pretty much only play against friends. the trick is to occasionally sprinkle in a reminder at the end of their shooting phase that their unit of handgunners has yet to obliterate my corpse cart or something. after that, they don't care what else i remind them of.

although, if they forget to fire a cannon, i can't be held responsible...

Dag
10-08-2009, 19:18
movement has to be the most widespread annoyance there is.
in fantasy so much of the game is decided in the movement phase, that when someone who plays 40k comes in and moves guys every which way and eyeballs it, or someoen who's just learning 40k does that, it really brings down the game through the whole "what, 1inch is that big of a deal?" because well, it is when my battle plan is based on that 1 inch.

my biggest pissoff has to be people who dont put cavalry in a proper line / ranked up.

when their all turned a bit or not base to base people think they have full LOS everywhere.

the other phases cant really be effected by stupidity as easily as movement, and in fantasy u can win games purely through movement.

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 19:21
Another thing that seems to annoy people, is when we're discussing rule interpretations, and I start with, "On Warseer ..."

Harwammer
10-08-2009, 21:03
I annoyed my opponent last game. His giant and chariot crashed into each other face to face and I told him they'd be stuck there for the rest of the game as neither had room to pivot and change their facing in order to move away.

He disagreed, but I was very insistant. I don't think he realised I was just winding him up :P

rtunian
10-08-2009, 22:35
I don't think he realised I was just misleading him :P

fixed!

now, i'm only joking with the quote modifying :) i obviously have no idea whether or not you were fully aware that the rules were different from what you were indicating they were, or whether you guys have the sort of rapport where you give each other a hard time and it's no big deal

Harwammer
10-08-2009, 22:38
fixed!

now, i'm only joking with the quote modifying :) i obviously have no idea whether or not you were fully aware that the rules were different from what you were indicating they were, or whether you guys have the sort of rapport where you give each other a hard time and it's no big deal

He's probably my best mate who plays warhammer! As it was just a friendly game so there was no way I was gonna really make him play that his giant and chariot (his BSB was stuck against the giant too, thinking about it) were rooted in place due to a bad pursue set up! I did let him move them all out of the muddle after I had finished teasing him.

Dungeon_Lawyer
10-08-2009, 23:09
annoying players only annoy me once-can you guess why?

Harwammer
10-08-2009, 23:24
annoying players only annoy me once-can you guess why?

I think we are about to have the warhammer nerd serial killer come out here!

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 23:32
I think we are about to have the warhammer nerd serial killer come out here!

i demand revenge , he killed my brother. :p

lcfr
10-08-2009, 23:56
I never go into a GW hoping to face some random (usually play at home or at friends'), playing at the store is just a treat since it's nice to play on a finished table w/real terrain. On the flipside: no stools, no easy access to beverages (i.e. no access at all), and annoying staff usually have me grumbling on the ride home (Ps. what's up with this 'Academy' nonsense?).

That said, the most annoying players are 'backseat players' who I encounter when I have games at GW. My knowledge of the rules is pretty strong (tactics is a different story!) so it's very aggravating to have some dork watch bits and pieces of the game, walk away, come back, walk away again, etc. comment on why my Chaos Knights are making 'too many' attacks (they're frenzied, a*s), why Wood Elves should always field a unit of Eternal Guard w/the Rhymer's Harp (because the army list in question revolves around guerilla tactics), or how easily he dispatches mass knights with his own army (in his dreams).

Players who take themselves and/or the game too seriously is another nuisance...after pummeling some Waywatchers I remarked jokingly, "That'll teach you jerks for not wearing armour!", to which the backseat player replied snidely, "Unfortunately, they don't have an option to take armour"

puppetmaster24
11-08-2009, 00:06
i must confess to being kind of a back seat player, but i usualy just say to my mates "what the hell is he doing" just out of ear shot. but we will intervien when it is a very experience player VS a new guy who has just been playing for a couple of weeks and even thenit is just little things like removing models to prevent a charge in 40K but it only ever delays the inevitable.

lcfr
11-08-2009, 00:23
i must confess to being kind of a back seat player, but i usualy just say to my mates "what the hell is he doing" just out of ear shot. but we will intervien when it is a very experience player VS a new guy who has just been playing for a couple of weeks and even thenit is just little things like removing models to prevent a charge in 40K but it only ever delays the inevitable.

There's a difference between what you describe (this is like taking the car out for the very first time w/a parent...you wouldn't quite call them a backseat driver yet) and actually paying attention to a game and genuinely meaning to help a player learn the rules or tactics (where this is partly the duty of the opponent, especially in a friendly game).

puppetmaster24
11-08-2009, 00:33
yer but then there is our dark side, if you annoy us we will just merceley gang up on you and have the person you are playing crush you within the first two turns of the game.

Unuhexium
11-08-2009, 00:45
Haven't faced any horrible players in WHF, but overly slow play really gets to me. If setting up the armies and the first two turns together take about 2,5-3 hrs it's a bit too slow for my liking and if the game still isn't over after 6 hrs I generally wonder what I'm doing there. Talking about a normal 2250 here.

In 40k a friend of mine had the annoying habbit of rolling some dice, rolling some more dice, yet another roll and some more rolling while saying nothing and then declaring that 5 of my guys just died. I mean, it's not hard to just declare "hit" "wound" "reroll" etc before rolling.

r3flexx
11-08-2009, 01:06
I HATE people that back seat game. I was playing this guy at my not-so-local GW (my empire vs his DE) and it was his turn. he shot my outriders with repeater crossbows, and ended up getting 5 wounds. I was about to roll for saves, and another guy walked up and said "there all dead".

He then continued to defend his misguided rules, and I just wanted him too shut the ******** up, and removed the whole damn unit.

I also hate people who "think" they know the rules but are veryyy wrong about it.

That same game he told me (the more experienced, and better player) that I should have placed my cannon on top of a hill on the very right hand corner of the board.

I laughed, and explained that I put it in the swap for a reason, and as it is now I can hit more stuff from here than on the dumb hill.

He was right. Dark Elven RxB's are armour piercing so that save is no more. I also doubt he didn't tell you that. Also armour piercing IS in the rules.

puppetmaster24
11-08-2009, 01:08
but they are only strenght 3 if memory serves.

r3flexx
11-08-2009, 01:10
Can you explain to me what armour piercing is? Now I'm a bit confused and seriously don't know.

puppetmaster24
11-08-2009, 01:14
it is an extra -1 to your armour save including other modifers.

r3flexx
11-08-2009, 01:18
ahh I see... so he had a 5+ then a 6+ because of the of AP. Yes he was at fault.

Kayosiv
11-08-2009, 03:23
That said, the most annoying players are 'backseat players' who I encounter when I have games at GW. My knowledge of the rules is pretty strong (tactics is a different story!) so it's very aggravating to have some dork watch bits and pieces of the game, walk away, come back, walk away again, etc. comment on why my Chaos Knights are making 'too many' attacks (they're frenzied, a*s), why Wood Elves should always field a unit of Eternal Guard w/the Rhymer's Harp (because the army list in question revolves around guerilla tactics), or how easily he dispatches mass knights with his own army (in his dreams).

I do this sort of thing all the time... What else am I supposed to do when I brought an army, and all the tables are full and there's no more opponents to go around? I mostly ask questions because I'm not that great a player, and I'm trying to understand more of what is going on in the battle. Also, I find that I am constantly correcting people on the rules. There are a LOT of rules and it is easy to get some wrong, I get em wrong all the time too. I'll have to remember to never bring an ego when I do this, lest I become one of those annoying dork-jerks you seem to hate so much.

TheSanityAssassin
11-08-2009, 03:54
The worst players to me are quitters. We have a guy who constantly just gives up if he thinks he's losing (to be mercilessly mocked once he's left most times). But while that's annoying enough, it's the fact that if he's winning he mocks the hell out of you through the whole game and then brags about it. He constantly complains that he can't win despite having built 2 extremely broken lists (Thorek gunline first, then a cut and paste Daemon army off a powergaming site). He has not however, really learned to play properly...he expects to just point and click. Nothing annoys me more though than a player who expects you to just sit and accept a beating, but won't give you the enjoyment of winning a game.

I think my friend and I sometimes annoy people if we go out of town, as we are event organizers (and former Grey Knights with GW Canada) and sometimes can't help but stopping by a table and pointing out if someone is doing something blatantly wrong. But the way I see it, it's worth a couple guys being momentarily annoyed if it improves the quality of gaming. And on the plus side, I get LOTS of people coming up to me to make rulings and such, even when not at my own events, which to me is proof that not everyone gets annoyed. The key is not to be overbearing or "know-it-all" about it.

Which leads me to the last annoyance, which is people who don't know the rules, and get mad at you for knowing them. I know it's a 40k reference, but we had some guys accuse us of cheating for getting off a Raider with Dark Eldar, making a fleet move and assaulting. Clearly because Space Marines can't assault out of a transport, or assault after running, no one can do it.

Bretonnian Lord
11-08-2009, 03:57
"It's not fun unless I'm winning."

Basically, when people play with that mentality, it annoys me greatly. Not necessarily WAAC players, but people who get really sore and pouty when they're not doing well. It's a game - try and have some fun.

xragg
11-08-2009, 04:03
I am one of the more knowledgeable players on the rules in my area, but one thing I will never do is correct a rule mistake I see in another game. It is up to the players to work out their own game. If they ask me or someone else, then I will help them. Otherwise, I will wait to their game ends and then correct them on any glaring mistakes they were making. For some reason, I just feel its rude to have a 3rd party interupting a game without being asked.

shaso_iceborn
11-08-2009, 04:07
"It's not fun unless I'm winning."

Basically, when people play with that mentality, it annoys me greatly. Not necessarily WAAC players, but people who get really sore and pouty when they're not doing well. It's a game - try and have some fun.

boy they would hate a straight goblin list (I play one for the shear chaos of it) I have 27 losses and just one win but that win was a victorious slaughter.

Alas though my gobbos are undefeated on their home turf (course they never fought on their home turf) Goblin mentality though.

My biggest annoyance is the people who plan to play a game show up start setting up and then suddenly have to leave. This would not be a big deal if you didn't see them at a console game shop playing halo 3 online when they ade plans to play you.

slayerofmen
11-08-2009, 05:59
@shaso_iceborn: you got stood up for halo 3 ouch sorry man

i've gotta say my only hate is people declaring they can't win against me after they fail their first fear test (i play VC) i don't run a OTT or OP lists as i find them boring and one trick ponies

(40K) In another event at cancon 09 having a ork player declare that he may as well concede because i shot and killed his big mek turn one with a cyclon missile launcher i was playing pure DW, because i had destroyed his only S10 gun

WhiteKnight
11-08-2009, 07:48
There's many annoying players at my GW.

First there's one 40k player, an older guy in his mid 40's, who always tries to be right. He'll jump into other games and tell you stuff you weren't even asking about. He will argue if you try to contradict him and my friends and i just laugh about later. He'll constantly be like "no you have to do that such and such way." and he won't shut up. I'm so glad that I only play 40k a couple times in a month.

Then there's one kid who always has this smirk on his face, more like a cheesy smile though. He always asks random questions about everything, tries to pitch ideas (really dumb ones too), and he tries to prove he's better than the staff (he just graduated the academy classes they teach there) It's so annoying and he always eavesdrops and tries to get involved in the conversations.

Lastly, there's a dwarf player who does the same thing. A gunline. He'll maybe put 2 blocks of warriors and a thane and say he doesn't run a gun line. He has like 30 thunderers, 2 cannons, and an organ gun. Its so annoying how he is. Then he brags about how dwarfs are so awesome and how he beat my beastmen (I went easy on him and didn't ambush) so myself and the other more "veteran" players ignore him, but sometimes we'll play him and just crush him to shut him up.

But I think I can be annoying during games. I toss out bad jokes, act wierd, and then the occassional "i'm just gonna pack up". I can admit that so yeah.

maze ironheart
11-08-2009, 09:37
The kind I find annoying are the following.

1)People who need their hands held all they way in a game being told what to do and what not to do.I don't mind first timers getting a helpinghand but when they are meant to be veterans it is annoying.

2)People who cast spells and then roll for the D6 damage and tell you afterwards what they are aiming at.

3)People who speak street hate it so much keep that uncoof trash out of the building.

4)People who winne about a rule your army has like oh your dwarfs can't be marched blocked thats not fair.

So these are the things that annoy me.

Dragune
11-08-2009, 09:42
Another thing that seems to annoy people, is when we're discussing rule interpretations, and I start with, "On Warseer ..."

Haha I do that one all the time :D

Drakcore Bloodtear
11-08-2009, 11:49
Well at my local store I'm the Fantasy Supervisor so I mainly go round telling people that their playing wrong and I don't think it gets on their never but as the supervisor I have to teach the younger kids how to play which I'm fine with intil they start telling me I'm playing wrong and they say things like I can shoot in two ranks because the first rank bends down for the second to fire' :confused:

puppetmaster24
11-08-2009, 14:57
i once played the most annoying person you have ever met. he started off by leaving for no reason and not telling me where he was going. the worst was when he said "i'm just going to the loo" he went down the street to the nearest toilet , he came back with a burger king meal, so i told him that if he leaves again i will just stop playing him. he then cheated throuout the game by moving models 2 inches to far, twisting the moral and we'll be back rules to suit his army. but the most annoying thing was after i had totaly destroyed his army and clearly won the game he was still trying to argue that A) his army was better than mine B) he was a better player. GRRR!!

kramplarv
11-08-2009, 15:10
The worst players to me are quitters.

actually, I have the reverse attitude. Nothing is more annoying than to win/loose the game in turn2 and still having to spend 2+ hours just to annihilate/be annihilated.

When I'm losing round2 or winning, it's better to start over again with a new game, since an even game makes for more fun than one major megacrush on each other.

FictionalCharacter
11-08-2009, 15:14
actually, I have the reverse attitude. Nothing is more annoying than to win/loose the game in turn2 and still having to spend 2+ hours just to annihilate/be annihilated.

When I'm losing round2 or winning, it's better to start over again with a new game, since an even game makes for more fun than one major megacrush on each other.

i think it's a case by case basis on that one.

if somebody takes out my VC general in turn one and we have time to get another full game in if i concede, awesome.

but there's still a whole bunch of strategy to learn and a whole bunch of fun to be had if a game gets lopsided.

UnsungDuck
11-08-2009, 15:34
500 point battle, Lizardmen VS Dwarfs

About halfway into the second turn some random guy comes over, place his Space Marine Terminators on the table and talks about how he's going to win. :wtf:

FictionalCharacter
11-08-2009, 15:49
500 point battle, Lizardmen VS Dwarfs

About halfway into the second turn some random guy comes over, place his Space Marine Terminators on the table and talks about how he's going to win. :wtf:

yeah. i was actually in the middle of a super-important flank action one game when some random guy dropped a bunch of skinks in between our units and shouted "skinks to the rescue!" on the one hand, that level of nerdiness is absolutely hilarious. on the other hand, just... don't do that...

Drakcore Bloodtear
11-08-2009, 16:28
I also hate it when your opponent dosen't want to play even though he asked you to a game because all they do is chat to someone eles then gets annoyed when I'm just sitting there waiting even though it's his turn

DarkTerror
11-08-2009, 17:22
The most annoying players are the extremely nerdy ones.

People who make funny noises during the game, make sound effects, or think WHF is some kind of live action role playing game. If you're trying to speak in character of your army you're playing the wrong game or against the wrong player.

Sadly, but not surprisingly, a good portion of the players above have very poor hygiene. That's too annoying to even play against.

Ixquic
11-08-2009, 18:10

People who make funny noises during the game, make sound effects, or think WHF is some kind of live action role playing game. If you're trying to speak in character of your army you're playing the wrong game or against the wrong player.

Sadly, but not surprisingly, a good portion of the players above have very poor hygiene. That's too annoying to even play against.

Seriously a million times this. Warhammer isn't Live At The Improv.

Schmapdi
11-08-2009, 20:34
Still attack with units that had their whole front rank wiped out

Sorry, new here. What do you mean by this? I thought the rules said something like "remove casualties from the back row because you can assume that as people in front die the people in the back rush up to take their place."

puppetmaster24
11-08-2009, 20:37
no you are suppose to remove the front models and move models forward at the end but it is just easier to remove models from the back.

Signius
11-08-2009, 20:48

if somebody takes out my VC general in turn one and we have time to get another full game in if i concede, awesome.

but there's still a whole bunch of strategy to learn and a whole bunch of fun to be had if a game gets lopsided.

Agreed. I actually watched a game recently between two of my friends. The skaven army was losing fairly bad, but then their one surviving Warlock got a lucky zap on the VC general. There were 2 12s and one 11 in the following 4 leadership checks. Almost completely wiped the board of VC. Skaven won quite handily. Stuff can turn around.

Rikkjourd
11-08-2009, 21:41

The most annoying ones are those who complain about other gamers being too nerdy. If you can't just be cool with it and enjoy some quality nerdiness then maybe you should stop going to gaming clubs/stores/whatever.

FictionalCharacter
11-08-2009, 21:44
fair point.

Tarian
11-08-2009, 21:48
I find the annoying players to be the ones who think they're just *that* awesome... even after they got stomped.

(Guy killed 1 Spear Elf in 2000 points back in 6th edition... and he was *still* saying how tough his list was...)

mdiscala
11-08-2009, 22:10
I agree about the really nerdy ones. I've been in this hobby for 12 years, and I know its on the nerdy side of life, but come one, develop some basic social skills and take a bath.

DarkTerror
11-08-2009, 22:26
The most annoying ones are those who complain about other gamers being too nerdy. If you can't just be cool with it and enjoy some quality nerdiness then maybe you should stop going to gaming clubs/stores/whatever.

Acting your age is part of life. Some are just rather slow to mature in this area.

And yes, for that reason, I have stopped going to gaming stores to play. The local games club would be much larger if it weren't for the over-the-top types which I already described.

Wacko Ricki
11-08-2009, 22:35
The guy I was against wasn't cheating (as far as I know), but he'd hidden his all-skink lizardmen force in a few swamp terrain peices, which meant my archers hit on sixs, and I couldn't charge him. It was such a boring battle, and he kept giggling stupidly, which was even more irritating.

Never played him since.

rtunian
11-08-2009, 23:06
Acting your age is part of life. Some are just rather slow to mature in this area.

some day, you're going to die. that's part of life.

acting your age? that's not part of life...
that's something that uptight people say to stifle others' good time

you want to talk about maturity, but you seem to know nothing of tolerance. how mature can you be if you can't even tolerate someone's different opinion on "fun" ???

the answer is "not very", and certainly not as much as you think.

DarkTerror
11-08-2009, 23:40
some day, you're going to die. that's part of life.

acting your age? that's not part of life...
that's something that uptight people say to stifle others' good time

you want to talk about maturity, but you seem to know nothing of tolerance. how mature can you be if you can't even tolerate someone's different opinion on "fun" ???

the answer is "not very", and certainly not as much as you think.

Maturity and tolerance are relative. I tolerate that everyone has a different idea of having fun.

However, I don't want to play against the nerdy kid who talks as though he's a dwarf and smells like one too. The same is true as you might not want to tolerate playing against a 6 year old who uses his pieces to "fight" by bashing the models together like they're action figures.

You want to claim moral highground in this situation and say you'd want to play Warhammer with that kid?

From personal experience I've seen far more people driven off by the "nerdiness" (or whatever you want to call it) of some people in the hobby stores. My gaming group and I don't play in stores to avoid those games now.

So, to me, they're the most annoying players to game against.

rtunian
12-08-2009, 00:31
playing with an over-sugar'd kid and playing with a 25 year old with an odd sense of fun are two totally different things. i probably wouldn't play with a child because i know how over-sugar'd children treat their toys, and i don't want my toys treated that way.

but is that what this is about?

would you really tell that 6 year old kid to act his age? no, i don't think so. that's something you're likely to say to a twenty-something or whatnot. that's what this is about. telling adults who "slave all day for the man", who have had a few beers and are cutting loose, telling those people to grow up, because they want to be silly in their few hours of fun they are allotted. that's bs imo

pointyteeth
12-08-2009, 00:43
on topic, Dice-chuckers! Those little buggers hurt, especially the ones with the pointy corners

*edit* should give an example I guess. Was at a fairly large tournament in Van, about halfway through game 4 I hear someone the next table over yell an unrepeatable profanity and have a 6 sided projectile narrowly miss my head. Thats right, almost took a bullet from a different table. I can accept getting a dice chucked at me if I deserve it, but from another battle completely? I don't play daemons, don't throw dice at me!

fubukii
12-08-2009, 00:46
i do dislike Non hygenic players, its tough to have fun when you are trying to hold back the vomit from caused from smelling nasty BO. Its not hard to stay clean and hygenic seriously.

Shower, wear old spice, DONE.

pointyteeth
12-08-2009, 00:47
I agree about the really nerdy ones. I've been in this hobby for 12 years, and I know its on the nerdy side of life, but come one, develop some basic social skills and take a bath.

Seconded...or thirded, or fourthed...or whatever its at now

Lockjaw
12-08-2009, 00:49
Only time I can say I fought smeone really annoying was years ago, this 10 year old kid who never had his codex or army book because he had all the rules 'memorized' and got annoyed if I looked them up anyway (I personally always have a hard time remembering rules so always have the rulebook and any nessicary codexes nearby, wich I'll admit might annoy some i've played against)
cheated like you wouldn't beleive and couldn't even do that right, his IG apparantly had an SM's stats until I looked them up in the store's copy of the codex to show him.
giggled like a hypractive monkey unless he was losing, then bitched and whined, and tried to rules lawyer. and overall I refused to play against him again after i beat his army down and he bitched at me about it.
coincidentally, anothertime I was at that shop, he was playing against a certain individual with a nickname that implied he fornicated with old moldy beef (mostly earned due to the smell), and somehow managed to **** beef&*&* off so much, the man hurled his landraider at the window of the store, getting him banned, and the smell with him, so maybe the kid's annoying personality did some good afterall.

as far as hygene goes, I relize when I go to the nearest indy shop to play, I might not smell the greatest (usually coming straight from work at a retardedly busy coffeehouse, where i'm usually splattered with dairy as I rush around making lattes, and no, it's NOT starbucks.) but at least I try using some deoderant before I go.

Lockjaw
12-08-2009, 00:53
Shower, wear old spice, DONE.

I hate the smell of old spice, it's just as bad as B.O. ..... but yet I like the commercials with Bruce Cambell

back O.T, shower and deoderant i'd say, rather than B.O. or any overpowering smells, and NO to AXE, if you're trying to pick up women at a gaming store, you really got the wrong place

Feefait
12-08-2009, 01:13
Actually I don't honestly think most of what the OP was talking about "annoying" it sound smore like he just didn't know what he was doing, or was cheating outright. One can be fixed through playing, learning and teaching. The other, I've found will never be elminated. Most of the time with things like this they don't think theres any problem.

We have someone in our group who always measured front of base but moved back to base. Playing ogres.... well you get it. He wasn't trying to cheat, he just didn't realize that he was doing it or that it was an issue.

For me "annoying" are constant whinings, rules or army questioning or blaming dice. Also the post battle " well if I had only..." can get a bit tiresome. But the top of my list is in any game - takebacks. Same Ogre player had a habit of moving, changing his mind and moving back (sans measuring), then moving somewhere else. This would happen 2 or 3 times a turn sometims, even wiht the same unit. It would get to the point that they would end up a few inches form where they had started before he made a final move decision. It wasn't cheating, sometimes it cost him a charge or los, it was just inexperie3nce and nervousness. but god it's frustrating. it's like when you play cards and someone plays a card. then decides nto to, then decides to then decides not too and by the end you don't even know who's turn it is... lol

fubukii
12-08-2009, 01:39
fair enough some people lik old spice some dont

Wear something be it axe, or old spice, degree or whatever.

I can understand coming from work, as i am in a pretty phyiscal job but i wash up before i go to the store.

Urgat
12-08-2009, 02:34
I think my friend and I sometimes annoy people if we go out of town, as we are event organizers (and former Grey Knights with GW Canada) and sometimes can't help but stopping by a table and pointing out if someone is doing something blatantly wrong.

Got to admit that annoyes me mightily when someone steps up and goes "you shouldn't do that, what I'd do is..."
I mean, mind your own games and let me handle my screw ups :p

HalfEvil333
12-08-2009, 03:34
fair enough some people lik old spice some dont

Wear something be it axe, or old spice, degree or whatever.

I can understand coming from work, as i am in a pretty phyiscal job but i wash up before i go to the store.

Agree on everything except the part about Axe. No matter where you are, that stuff is just plain nasty.

The guy that "rolls" his dice by dropping them straight down from less than an inch from the table.

On the subject of geeky gamers, I'm calling bull. There are only a few groups on the Geek Hierarchy Totem that are "geekier" than tabletop wargamers.

Warhammer Madman
12-08-2009, 07:53
A real nit-pick of mine is the realy leery players...

as soon as there looseing its redo that remeasure that. If you acsidentally move a fraction of an inch more than you should its suddenly a shouting match. You just see that there not enjoying it and you offer to call it there but then they say "so I win!":wtf: just no if im offering to call it its not because I feel im looseing. But its at this point the power gamer kicks in and I just masicre them...

theach them to be all solm and leery its a GAME!

Rikkjourd
12-08-2009, 09:44

Totally wrong. Maturity means little else than being able to predict consequences and take responsibility for your actions.

What it does NOT mean is that you have to have a special definition of "fun", which disallows sound effects or talking in character of your army. That is just your own personal preference, which IMHO seems a little uptight.

What gets to me is how someone expects a warhammer setting which is nerd-free. That is like a soccer pro going: "Damn, my teammates are so *********** athletic, I'm gonna stop playing." :)

Regarding bad hygiene: that is a problem everywhere, not only gamers smell bad. Also, while it is annoying I don't think it is that hard to look past it and still enjoy the game.

Ixquic
12-08-2009, 12:50
Everyone who plays this game is a little nerdy. The issue is when it gets to the point where you are talking in annoying, character voices, making stupid anime jokes no one wants to hear after it's been made fairly clear people aren't interested, telling the same "RAIN OF BEER!!" dwarven magic phase joke we've all heard every time we play a dwarf army, putting down models into someone else's game to try and be funny, etc. There's a line somewhere where between "nerdy warhammer gamer" and "really annoying dork that doesn't understand social cues."

Seriously I know some huge nerds, but they are able to keep themselves under control and not **** people off by acting older than 10.

Condottiere
12-08-2009, 12:54
What annoys me are victory noises from the other side when the situation looks very critical for me and my sense of humour is reaching DOA status.

moose
12-08-2009, 13:30
People who shout and scream about everything...

Can't people just chill out? :)

Moose.

Fenrir
12-08-2009, 14:31
People who shout and scream about everything...

Can't people just chill out? :)

Moose.

Not in Games Workshop. People have too much invested!

This is life and death gaming we are talking about, enough to make all social conventions take a damned good leap out of the nearest window.

DarkTerror
12-08-2009, 17:10
Everyone who plays this game is a little nerdy. The issue is when it gets to the point where you are talking in annoying, character voices, making stupid anime jokes no one wants to hear after it's been made fairly clear people aren't interested, telling the same "RAIN OF BEER!!" dwarven magic phase joke we've all heard every time we play a dwarf army, putting down models into someone else's game to try and be funny, etc. There's a line somewhere where between "nerdy warhammer gamer" and "really annoying dork that doesn't understand social cues."

Seriously I know some huge nerds, but they are able to keep themselves under control and not **** people off by acting older than 10.

Well put. Rikkjourd should read this post.

Part of maturity is understanding these social cues.

maaksel
12-08-2009, 19:32
Why not... teach him to play correctly?

unwanted
12-08-2009, 19:45
Well put. Rikkjourd should read this post.

Part of maturity is understanding these social cues.

You do know that being socially handicapped is not something people chose?

The lack of respect for what may well be some rather sorry individuals eccentricity really blows my mind, if wargamers cannot be tolerant of the, agreed, odd behaviour of some of our fellows, then I really think you need to reconsider wether you really want to be associated with our little world of toysoldiers and gaming...

Drakcore Bloodtear
12-08-2009, 19:45
Got to admit that annoyes me mightily when someone steps up and goes "you shouldn't do that, what I'd do is..."
I mean, mind your own games and let me handle my screw ups :p

Well I don't mind somone telling me that I did something wrong rule wise, but I hate it when someone comes up to you and say's my tactic is wrong and I sould do this, now not trying to sound cocky but at my local store I am up there when it comes to good playing (although I'm not a tournament player) and I will tell some of the younger players whats going to happen when they move that unit there but I don't like people telling me how to play my army

telling the same "RAIN OF BEER!!" dwarven magic phase joke we've all heard every time we play a dwarf army

As an O&G player I hate the joke when I cast hand of Gork because someone will just put their hand on the table and pretend to swipe all the modals off the board in one clean sweep then say 'thats a hand of Gork'.
The amount of times a kid had knocked a unit of the board with that stupid joke is uncountable I mean it not even funny anymore

I just want to go 'And now I'll cast Fist of Gork in your face, oh look irresistible that means you can't stop it' :evilgrin:

Brother J
12-08-2009, 20:40

I agree with the case by case bit. There's been a few games where I've lost all but one unit quite early in the game due to my bad rolls and my opponent's "Oh god, did you just yahtzee 6's 2342 times in a row?" rolls. I've no problem giving in during those fights, and quickly starting a new battle.

It's a learning experience and you realize exactly how much the game relies on a mix of skill and luck. I've even gone as far as to offer to start a new game if the same has happened to my opponent.

I find the most annoying part of playing WHF is myself. When I lose a game by a narrow margin I'm a bit hard on myself, and when I'm completely crushed I auto-jump to thinking about a new list until I play the list again and get a more favorable outcome. It's a competitive thing for myself, and while it's a game and I try and treat it as such, sometimes I can't help it, but generally don't speak out about my disdain for that particular match. My most frequent opponent is my cousin, and neither of us like losing so it makes for some HILARIOUS conversations later in the night and all is well.

"You realize your entire unit got destroyed aside from your BSB who is now roaming around with 3 banners not including the one he started with..right?"

"Yeah, my BSB took 1000 VP that game."

Awesome conversation really, especially since it's a converted model and looks awesome to boot.

bullshiz20
12-08-2009, 20:52
I once played this fat kid who loved to take advantage of me not looking at the game occasionally. He would move his models sometimes across the ENTIRE board or switch his characters in and out of squads. The best part is when I would catch him cheating his response would be, "oh yeah, you're right."
To all of the cheating players out there... cheaters NEVER win, unless they win.:) BUT DONT CHEAT!

mdiscala
12-08-2009, 21:12
You do know that being socially handicapped is not something people chose?

The lack of respect for what may well be some rather sorry individuals eccentricity really blows my mind, if wargamers cannot be tolerant of the, agreed, odd behaviour of some of our fellows, then I really think you need to reconsider wether you really want to be associated with our little world of toysoldiers and gaming...

You can tolerate it. You still can be annoyed as all get out while you're tolerating it. Which was the topic. I am annoyed by uber nerds, I don't mock them, but I don't want to socialize with them for two hours periods.

As to the not choosing it part. I mean we are all socially handicapped to some extent, probably, playing this game. I think its when they make no effort to not be that it becomes unbearable.

Another type of person that annoys me are people who don't paint their armies. (Especially big nerds who don't! :evilgrin:)

BossBadBad
12-08-2009, 23:28
I find it annoying when a player (bad or otherwise) claims superiority by way of his painting.

Now, I'm sure you spent a long, hard time painting your models, and I can respect that. But I don't care about painting my own model's that much. I will paint them, but in due time.

As you can see, I enjoy the hobby as much as you do. But, please, if you care about my model's not being painted that much, you are welcome to leave the game. I would be glad to play against an opponent who would rather PLAY the game instead of focusing on whether or not his armymen are painted pretty colors or not.

GeneralX
12-08-2009, 23:36
Yeah I always misatkenly comment on peoples games when they do something obviously wrong... can't help it. Usually now though I just make a face when they aren't looking!

Dr.Rockso
13-08-2009, 04:26
I find it annoying when people who use gunlines sigh when they loose a unit to the other players heavy Calvary, when they still have the god damn steam tank!...and when they say that the good units in there army are usless because they can't take the cannons or guns in the rest of their army....and who complain about fear/terro when they take their human army against a VC army..and when they take 0 magic verus magic heavy VC...and when they forfeit when they start to loose and insist that it was a draw.......sorry about the bad grammer just got done watching a magic heavy VC vs a no magic gunline empire yeah just imagine how that went.....

Master Shake
13-08-2009, 04:41
I hate playing people who stink. Playing tabletop games doesn't excuse you from bathing.

Blaklabel
13-08-2009, 05:16
I find it annoying when people who use gunlines sigh when they loose a unit to the other players heavy Calvary, when they still have the god damn steam tank!...and when they say that the good units in there army are usless because they can't take the cannons or guns in the rest of their army....and who complain about fear/terro when they take their human army against a VC army..and when they take 0 magic verus magic heavy VC...and when they forfeit when they start to loose and insist that it was a draw.......sorry about the bad grammer just got done watching a magic heavy VC vs a no magic gunline empire yeah just imagine how that went.....

Ya know, I think this is why I decided to play Skaven.
"My Block of 25 Plague Monks took 18 casualties in your shooting phase...damn"
Then next turn "My Warp-Lightning cannon killed HOW MANY knights? On crap I got a 13 on my Bell!"
The smug look on someones face when they run down a unit of 20 Slaves.
"Crap! 40 points...GONE!"

But anyway, the most annoying people I play with are older. Like 35-45, the 16 year old who looks 12 can compose himself better.
We have 2 guys. Rabid IG player, and I HAVE AN ELDAR TITAN guy.
IG player: This guy has 10 Baneblades...yeah. Oh and he brings it up all the time. And proclaims a lot, I wish I had another 10 so I could field my dream list of "dumb idea here", followed by the statement, "Just need someone to play a 25000 pt game with!" Not to mention he shouts Imperial sangs too much, even when he's not playing. "Arachaon just killed 15 longbeards? FOR THE EMPEROR!"

Then we have I HAVE AN ELDAR TITAN guy: This guy is horrible. He doesn't come in a lot thankfully. Lets say, me and you are talking about playing a game. Me and you are going to play 40K My Dark Eldar against your Tau. We get to hear, "I bet you of you guys would like to take my Titan right? It's in my car, the titan I mean. Wanna use it?"
Then we proceed to play the game and one of use looses 3 squads.
"I bet you wished you took my Titan right about now. Hey you (guy who's not losing) wanna let him deep strike my Titan next turn? We can let you take a Leman Russ or something. I'll go get my Titan."
And that's not all, he's also sexually harassed almost any girl who walks in the store.
2 girls who frequently come in the store have gotten the worst of it. One of the Red Shirts wives plays Sisters, and during a game he grabbed her chest, cause ya know it's totally normal. Just walk up to a 27 year old woman and just grope her. Needless to say a Certain Red Shirt doesn't like Eldar titan guy anymore. The other girl gets her butt pinched every time he walks by her.
This guy is the worst I've seen of annoying people in the stores. He's been kicked out a few times but never really "Banned".
His complaints aren't as bad anymore seeing as the 2 gals call the store before they head out to make sure he's not there.
I'm waiting for him to get his ass kicked by harassing the wrong girl, or girlfriend.

TheSanityAssassin
13-08-2009, 05:27
Man, if he had of groped my wife, he would have got Eldar Titan across the face

snurl
13-08-2009, 05:33
Cheating really annoys me. So do opponents who try to bulls**t the rules and dice rolls, like saying "I need 4s or better" when they really need a 5, and so on.

Zujara
13-08-2009, 05:39
Man, if he had of groped my wife, he would have got Eldar Titan across the face

Agreed, I am an easy going guy but something like that would just be too much. Fairly surprising he hasn't been banned or worse.

I am fortunate that there is no annoying players where I play these days, but several years ago in another store there was a 35 year old who would berate new players or players that were young, like 12 or under, into playing him just so he could thrash them then brag about it.

TheSanityAssassin
13-08-2009, 05:47
We had a guy a bit like that, but he was career military, and wasn't used to playing anyone that wasn't ALSO in the military....so he had a bit of trouble with people who didn't play accented with a lot of cursing and trash-talk.

Brother J
13-08-2009, 06:16
Ya know, I think this is why I decided to play Skaven.
"My Block of 25 Plague Monks took 18 casualties in your shooting phase...damn"
Then next turn "My Warp-Lightning cannon killed HOW MANY knights? On crap I got a 13 on my Bell!"
The smug look on someones face when they run down a unit of 20 Slaves.
"Crap! 40 points...GONE!"

But anyway, the most annoying people I play with are older. Like 35-45, the 16 year old who looks 12 can compose himself better.
We have 2 guys. Rabid IG player, and I HAVE AN ELDAR TITAN guy.
IG player: This guy has 10 Baneblades...yeah. Oh and he brings it up all the time. And proclaims a lot, I wish I had another 10 so I could field my dream list of "dumb idea here", followed by the statement, "Just need someone to play a 25000 pt game with!" Not to mention he shouts Imperial sangs too much, even when he's not playing. "Arachaon just killed 15 longbeards? FOR THE EMPEROR!"

Then we have I HAVE AN ELDAR TITAN guy: This guy is horrible. He doesn't come in a lot thankfully. Lets say, me and you are talking about playing a game. Me and you are going to play 40K My Dark Eldar against your Tau. We get to hear, "I bet you of you guys would like to take my Titan right? It's in my car, the titan I mean. Wanna use it?"
Then we proceed to play the game and one of use looses 3 squads.
"I bet you wished you took my Titan right about now. Hey you (guy who's not losing) wanna let him deep strike my Titan next turn? We can let you take a Leman Russ or something. I'll go get my Titan."
And that's not all, he's also sexually harassed almost any girl who walks in the store.
2 girls who frequently come in the store have gotten the worst of it. One of the Red Shirts wives plays Sisters, and during a game he grabbed her chest, cause ya know it's totally normal. Just walk up to a 27 year old woman and just grope her. Needless to say a Certain Red Shirt doesn't like Eldar titan guy anymore. The other girl gets her butt pinched every time he walks by her.
This guy is the worst I've seen of annoying people in the stores. He's been kicked out a few times but never really "Banned".
His complaints aren't as bad anymore seeing as the 2 gals call the store before they head out to make sure he's not there.
I'm waiting for him to get his ass kicked by harassing the wrong girl, or girlfriend.

"Hey, hey guy with the titan..Let's go to your car to get it!"

/slam face into window.

Sexual harassment is a no go, whether I know the girl or not. Mr. Gropes wouldn't be very happy when he and his titan are left broken up. For the love of god, PM me when he gets what is coming to him.

powa bear
13-08-2009, 06:52
One game I played was 750 points I was playing against dwarfs He brought a oddly large army, I asked "is that 750"?" he said "yes, I took 250 off my 1k list" I said ok let's play. he had dwarf gunline. by turn two I had about 10 blood letters left. people were begining to gather around the table asking him is that 750? he said yeah. So after the game my friend added up his points asking him what were the upgrades and such by the end of that he had over 1,500 points and he still said he would of won. I just want to know how he got 500 more points after saying he toke off 250. ( Nerd Smash).

Vermin-thing
13-08-2009, 07:08
I hate it when people use the 40k to hit chart in fantasy. Well some times it happens just because they play 40k wayyy to much, but I've had instances where my opponent used the 40k chart for the entire game, and I'm sure the battle would have worked out differently if he was playing fantasy properly.

greendan
13-08-2009, 07:58
I've played a few very anal people and some very bad losers.
One guy in particular who i've played at fantasy and 40k would drive me quietly crazy.

One particular thing that would bother me would be how i would occasionally forget to do things with my army, say use a bound spell, charge in the correct turn, easy mistakes when you're playing the game.
But instead of saying to me "oh are you going to do such and such" he would wait until i declared my turn over and point out what i missed with a huge smile of satisfaction and forbid me from doing them.
Many times this has happened to my opponents and i'll simply tell them they missed something and let them do what they intended to do, no big deal.

Another instance involved him watching a game i played in a store tournament, informing my opponent that my partially covered unit was in fact fully covered by his template for some reason. I shrugged and said sure why not and luckily made most of the saves.
The next game against the annoying guy in the tournament the same situation arose for me against him with the blast template. He tried to play it off and i kindly reminded him of how he advised my opponent last game and proceeded to wipe out a nice chunk of his unit with his own version of the rules.

He would also push my models back about half a millimeter occasionally if he felt i moved them a little too far forward.

I understand how the game needs to be played within the rules but being a rules lawyer ruins it completely.
:chrome:

pinegulf
13-08-2009, 09:27
The 'I've allways played it like this' people. Then they ignore your referencing of the manual/faq.

Plain cheaters, Waac, über wysiwyg people. Overall people who aren't following rulebook on 'the most importat rule' in the beginning of the book.

Once in tournament I told one waac player to quit being an a$$hole, take 20 points and play the game as a decent human till end. Ofcourse he jumped up shouted 'surrender victory'! went to organisers and took the 20 points. I consider this as 1 hour of my life that I saved.

Urgat
13-08-2009, 09:40

That guy being a "I got an eldar titan" guy, I thought he'd harass any boy who walks in your store :p

Humorous_Conclusion
13-08-2009, 09:54
I hate 'back seat players.'

Someone clarifying the odd rule is fine, but what I object to is someone who can't stop themselves from trying to take over.

An example. A few years back I was at local gaming club playing a game with Blood Bowl. This was atry out game for a proposed Blood Bowl league the club was thinking of running. My opponent had only played a couple of games and I hadn't played in years. We were doing okay with the rules, but our tactics were probably a bit shaky.

Anyway, we were about two-thirds of the way through the game when one of the other games finishes and this guy comes over to 'watch' us.

He then started 'coaching' both of us through the game. As soon as someone's turn started he would tell us exactly what to do before we had a chance to even look at the board. His was pretty sound, but some of it was also pretty obvious and we could have figured it out for ourselves.

Essentially this left us in the position of doing one of two things:

1. Bow to his advice and essentially let him play the game for us (against himself as he was doing this for both sides).
2. Ignore him and potentially do something potentially stupid. Neither of us were very confident about the game at this point and we would have made ourselves look pretty foolish ignoring him and getting ourselves beaten.

It effectively ruined the game, as neither one of us was really able to make our own decisions.

I left the club a few weeks later. I got a new job and had to travel further to work so I wouldn't be able to make the club in the evening, but because of this guy I wasn't sorry about it.

squeekenator
13-08-2009, 10:26
I hate it when people use the 40k to hit chart in fantasy. Well some times it happens just because they play 40k wayyy to much, but I've had instances where my opponent used the 40k chart for the entire game, and I'm sure the battle would have worked out differently if he was playing fantasy properly.

And what's the difference between the Fantasy and 40K to hit charts?

Blizzinam
13-08-2009, 12:12
Nothing. Except that the shooting has penalties in fantasy.

Vermin-thing
13-08-2009, 12:40
I don't have the 40k in front of me (or at all), but I can tell you that in 40k the to-hit chart is the same as the WHFB to-wound chart, but in fantasy it's slightly different.

WHFB: 40k:

ws 4 vs ws 3 = 4+, ws 4 vs ws 3 = 3+
ws 5 vs ws 3 = 3+, ws 5 vs ws 3 = 2+
ws 6 vs ws 3 = 3+, ws 6 vs ws 3 = 2+

Or am I just being ignorant, and assuming that the two to-hit charts differ?

We regardless my opponent was using the to-wound chart to hit. :(

squeekenator
13-08-2009, 13:03
No, the two to-hit charts are exactly the same in both games. Greater weapon skill than opponent = hit on a 3+, equal WS to half opponent's WS = hit on a 4+, less than half opponent's WS = hit on a 5+.

Krom The Eternal
13-08-2009, 17:44
i hate it when you play against a kid who repeatedly quotes dawn of war orks lol

High Loremaster
13-08-2009, 20:49
I'm somewhat picky about people who roll their dice and immediately pick up the ones that succeed. It feels like they're really trying to hide bad dice rolls.
Maybe they just want to speed up the game, but that's just me.

I try to keep things moving, but I always pick up the dice rolls that FAIL, and put those aside, leaving the ones that succeed on the table, in order to demonstrate that I'm not trying to do something underhanded.

Tarian
13-08-2009, 20:55
I'm somewhat picky about people who roll their dice and immediately pick up the ones that succeed. It feels like they're really trying to hide bad dice rolls.
Maybe they just want to speed up the game, but that's just me.

I try to keep things moving, but I always pick up the dice rolls that FAIL, and put those aside, leaving the ones that succeed on the table, in order to demonstrate that I'm not trying to do something underhanded.

I do that too! I knew a guy who would pick up the good dice and "somehow" some of the fails would end up in his hand. (This made me stand there and stare at the other guy's dice as he's picking them up, which I'm sure is unnerving in its own right.)

Harwammer
13-08-2009, 22:54
pick out the fails, put them to one side where they can't interfere, pick up the hits in one sweeping motion and reroll them for to wound... isn't that what everyone does? If you just pick up the hits where do you roll them without hitting other dice!?

nsok
14-08-2009, 01:32

I agree, I'm still a new player, but ive read the rulebook and every single army book i can get my hands on trying to learn. Whenever i bump into someone that starts doing that, I try to keep calm but after a while really starts to make me go crazy

Draxonicar
14-08-2009, 01:54
Agree on everything except the part about Axe. No matter where you are, that stuff is just plain nasty.

The guy that "rolls" his dice by dropping them straight down from less than an inch from the table.

On the subject of geeky gamers, I'm calling bull. There are only a few groups on the Geek Hierarchy Totem that are "geekier" than tabletop wargamers.

I beg your pardon?

Proof:http://www.brunching.com/images/geekchartbig.gif

Killboss
14-08-2009, 06:55
This'll be valid later, but i was the other player (not the annoying cheater guy, the other other opponent.)

Another type of person that annoys me are people who don't paint their armies. (Especially big nerds who don't! :evilgrin:)
And the problem there is? I am one of the people who doesn't paint their army, but i've got my reasons. I can get how playing a game with all painted armies is better, but what is so annoying about vsing an unpainted army?

Now, I'm sure you spent a long, hard time painting your models, and I can respect that. But I don't care about painting my own model's that much. I will paint them, but in due time.

As you can see, I enjoy the hobby as much as you do. But, please, if you care about my model's not being painted that much, you are welcome to leave the game. I would be glad to play against an opponent who would rather PLAY the game instead of focusing on whether or not his armymen are painted pretty colors or not.
My opinion incarnate.

just got done watching a magic heavy VC vs a no magic gunline empire yeah just imagine how that went.....
Hmm... lets take a stab... zombies, zombies, ZOMBIES! (And the occasional army wide casulty.)

Seconded.

Sexual harassment is a no go, whether I know the girl or not. Mr. Gropes wouldn't be very happy when he and his titan are left broken up. For the love of god, PM me when he gets what is coming to him.
Seconded as well, that guy really needs to get what's coming to him...several times. PM me too, if you don't mind.

Another instance involved him watching a game i played in a store tournament, informing my opponent that my partially covered unit was in fact fully covered by his template for some reason. I shrugged and said sure why not and luckily made most of the saves.
The next game against the annoying guy in the tournament the same situation arose for me against him with the blast template. He tried to play it off and i kindly reminded him of how he advised my opponent last game and proceeded to wipe out a nice chunk of his unit with his own version of the rules.
Hehe... nice one.

The 'I've allways played it like this' people. Then they ignore your referencing of the manual/faq.
That's what the annoying player said when he tried firing with 2 ranks of archers: "But i always play that way when i fight my brother" :eyebrows:

I hate 'back seat players.'

Someone clarifying the odd rule is fine, but what I object to is someone who can't stop themselves from trying to take over.
An example of how bad the annoying player's 'misinterpretations' and "1 inches" became was i asked the OP to be the keeper of the rule book (ie: looking up any and all disputes in game) and you would not believe how many times he caught him out. so sometimes having a "back seater" can be VERY useful.

Unuhexium
14-08-2009, 10:34
I'd say there's a big difference between a backseater and a referee. A backseater will tell you what to attack and such for maximum effect while a referee will point out stuff that's illegal and solve disputes.

DeathlessDraich
14-08-2009, 11:10
This seems appropriate here and might be useful to some

Kayosiv
14-08-2009, 12:09
Read the Document, disagree with 1 thing, and that is not to tell them they are incorrectly playing a rule unless asked. What are they going to do, get mad because they wanted to play wrong? I'd be grateful if somebody explained to me why/how I was misinterpreting the rules, whether it was beneficial or detrimental to me wouldn't be relevant.

I also have to agree BIG time with "Do not laugh/mock at your opponent’s demise or over celebrate your success." This drives me crazy. When my Wizard Miscasts and kills himself or when my war machine blows up, don't go laughing about it for 2 straight minutes.

Humorous_Conclusion
14-08-2009, 12:25
An example of how bad the annoying player's 'misinterpretations' and "1 inches" became was i asked the OP to be the keeper of the rule book (ie: looking up any and all disputes in game) and you would not believe how many times he caught him out. so sometimes having a "back seater" can be VERY useful.

Having someone to check the rules, especially if they're asked, is fine.

What I object to is someone standing over your shoulder telling you how to play the game.

E.G. 'Move that unit there,' 'you shouldn't shoot that unit,' 'you should charge that unit.'

It's incredibly irritating. Even if there right, I want to play the game, not act as model-mover for another player.

Rikkjourd
14-08-2009, 12:46
I know you probably don't mean this, but it seems from posts that alot of players don't want any kind of interaction with others during a game. I disagree, if it is a gaming club with lots of games being played at the same time I expect players to engage in some inter-table conversations! Also, I don't mind players getting into my games to some degree, if someone goes over the top why don't just tell them to be quiet for a while?

For example, if my buddy is playing at the same time as me but in another room I will go to his table and just chat for a minute about the games. No big deal, is it?

Furthermore, laughing about events in the game or a certain degree of mocking your opponent is fine by me, but that probably has something to do with me laughing at my own demise as well. As long as there is a handshake at the end, everything is OK IMHO.

DeathlessDraich
14-08-2009, 12:49
Read the Document, disagree with 1 thing, and that is not to tell them they are incorrectly playing a rule unless asked. What are they going to do, get mad because they wanted to play wrong? I'd be grateful if somebody explained to me why/how I was misinterpreting the rules, whether it was beneficial or detrimental to me wouldn't be relevant.

I also have to agree BIG time with "Do not laugh/mock at your opponent’s demise or over celebrate your success." This drives me crazy. When my Wizard Miscasts and kills himself or when my war machine blows up, don't go laughing about it for 2 straight minutes.

This suggestion?

1. Around the tables, observing, unpacking armies etc for players not known to you:

b) Do not volunteer advice or try to correct rules/moves/tactics unless asked when observing a battle

It's intended for observers of a game and not players. :)

EDIT: If both players are well known to you, I think it is perfectly acceptable.

EDIT: Warhammer is unfortunately a game fraught with sensitivities

kyinpie
14-08-2009, 12:49
im not being big headed, but im not a bad player and can usually hold my own, but i hate players that claim they are better than you at the game when they are clearly not! thiers one guy that isnt very good at the game (GWS staff if you believe) but when you beat him, and i mean wipe him off the board with out taking causulties yourself (which isnt hard to do against him!) he still tells you hes better, and then gives you advice how to play your army in order to beat him!!! hang on, didnt i just beat you in the highest possible manner? he acts as if hes won!
i have a mate which i play against alot. as soon as the game goes in my favour he concedes!! everytime. i havent finished a game where im winning for over 18months now. very annoying. i never see my plans unfold fully. this really winds me up.
also i use tomb kings as my main army, and i occasonaly use orgres, i hate it when i play and beat someone with a clearly harder army, and they complan about mine!!! i play against high elfs alot. TK cant touch a heavy magic and anti magic HE list, and realy realy struggle against a combat list. he complans about my army! same goes for when you do beat these armies, they complain. the other day i played a tzeench magic heavy cheesy a** list, i won then they complained that my list was overpowered!

i dont mind facing any army or any list, but dont call my lists and army cheesy and overpowered when i clearly dont, and then my opponent pulls out a magic heavy VC, or tzeench list ao a DE monster/shooting list, and still thinks tomb kings are harder and cheesyer!

Killboss
14-08-2009, 13:15
Good point Unuhexium.

Lol, nice name.

EDIT: I mean the name of the word doc. BTW.

mdiscala
14-08-2009, 19:16
And the problem there is? I am one of the people who doesn't paint their army, but i've got my reasons. I can get how playing a game with all painted armies is better, but what is so annoying about vsing an unpainted army?

Whats annoying is that nobody does it and I think its a big part of the hobby. The times a do play against totally painted armies I have more fun. I dont get snippy and not enjoy myself when they arent painted. Its just that I started the hobby because of the painting and am using the term 'annoyed' in a loose manner. Maybe disappointed would be better.

S00N3R FR3AK
15-08-2009, 17:35
the worst guy i have ever played against was at my local GW store..

it was my lizardmen vs his Skaven 2000 points..

he had the giant bell thing, lots of ratlings, 3 warp cannons, grayseer and all his heros were spellcasters with warp stones.. it was such a cheesey army.. but i managed to get my oldblood on carnosaur into his flank due to lucky terrain deployment (we scatter terrain randomly). all his units were in a line from one side of the board to the other. i charged the first unit and he elected to flee. the unit ran through his entire army. i told him to take a panic check for every unit it ran through and he was like "no they dont need to".... there was like another 2 units within the charge range of the carnosaur (due to them being in a line) so i was like "ok ill charge into that unit instead" and he was like "no you cant..." he uses the cheesiest armies and then changes the rules to how he wants.. and what makes it worse..

If it was a unit of slaves then he doesn't have to take the test.(afaik) I had the same thing come up in a game against skaven and thats what I was told. Makes since, its like O&B, smaller units don't scare the bigger units.

Brother J
15-08-2009, 17:54
I know you probably don't mean this, but it
Furthermore, laughing about events in the game or a certain degree of mocking your opponent is fine by me, but that probably has something to do with me laughing at my own demise as well. As long as there is a handshake at the end, everything is OK IMHO.

This reminds me of a story I heard while shopping about at the GW they closed down here a few months ago. One of them was recounting to me the story of his Skaven essentially going bonkers and killing every other Skaven.

Well, he started the game, and got first turn..Turn 1, his ratling guns shot his entire front line down.

The only thing he could do was laugh and say "Good game, wanna play again?" right after it happened. (There was truly no way to continue the game.)

Might as well laugh at your own misfortunes, no matter how irritating they can be.

danny7865
15-08-2009, 23:22
Yeah I know what you mean .I remember my magic heavy army which first turn i tried to cast bears anger on two dice and miscast and ended my magic phase. It is only a game and I think you have to see the funny side of stuff like that

Brother J
15-08-2009, 23:27
Yeah I know what you mean .I remember my magic heavy army which first turn i tried to cast bears anger on two dice and miscast and ended my magic phase. It is only a game and I think you have to see the funny side of stuff like that

My first two casts with two dice in my last game..miscasts back to back with two different casters. Only thing that saved my magic phase was me having Infernal Puppet and still having a Level 4 Nurgle sorc left to cast. (Luckily I was able to modify it to where the strength blah blah blah hit never wounded.) Even so, I was not the happiest camper.

danny7865
15-08-2009, 23:37
well you werent the happiest camper but I think its worse when skinks hold on insane courage so your massive unit is going to be mulitple charged in flanks rear next turn mroe frustrating

Brother J
15-08-2009, 23:43
Nothing that bad has happened yet. I have had a unit of Warhounds hold against some horrible odds with only one or two left, which gave me time to get into position to smash things. So my luck isn't ALL bad, and I usually get the weirdest things. I don't roll average ever.I either roll extremely well, or extremely poorly. Tzeentch is a fickle god..

S00N3R FR3AK
16-08-2009, 07:34

I know Ill say well on the forums and then they stop me and say they don't care what the forums say. I mean really does being on the fourms make them wrong?

Im gonna have to agree here. A game thats close till the end is way more fun then a ass kicking/ass whooping. If someone is gettin destoryed why finish the game? Everyone knows the outcome I rather start a new game and learn from the mistakes that put me in the last problem.

Harwammer
16-08-2009, 08:06
I know Ill say well on the forums and then they stop me and say they don't care what the forums say. I mean really does being on the fourms make them wrong?

Yeah, but saying 'in the forums' doesn't really amount to anything unless if you can back it up with what was said on both sides and why they came to the conclusion they did. You can't just say 'forum sayz no.'

Then again, if you know the whole argument for both sides of a rules issue then you don't need to mention the forums, you just need to say, 'The rule says one thing, meaning this, this and this, but another thing in another part of the rule book says that, that and that, which means together the rules mean voila'!

S00N3R FR3AK
16-08-2009, 08:13
Yeah, but saying 'in the forums' doesn't really amount to anything unless if you can back it up with what was said on both sides and why they came to the conclusion they did. You can't just say 'forum sayz no.'

Then again, if you know the whole argument for both sides of a rules issue then you don't need to mention the forums, you just need to say, 'The rule says one thing, meaning this, this and this, but another thing in another part of the rule book says that, that and that, which means together the rules mean voila'!

Yeah but Im kind of new so they don't always just listen to what I say. Ill present both sides and why it came out a certian way when I reference the fourms though.

I hate when in friendly games I forget something and either I or the oppoenent notice right after I move into my next phase without having done anything and they won't let me fix it. When I was first trying daemonhunters I forgot to roll for my deep strike and the guy wouldn't let me roll for it. I mean really I was trying them and this was a friendly game who cares? I have no problem with someone going back and moving or shooting a unit they forgot even it means itll hurt me greatly(such as giving a unit assualt range)

Also how the hell is eldar titan guy not banned? And what kept the red shirt from kicking his ass?

Unuhexium
16-08-2009, 16:43
Agree with S00N3R. It's annoying when people get overly anal about stuff. I'm not really going to point out my opponents mistakes, but if for example moving a unit wouldn't interfere with something he just did (shooting, magic etc), I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to make the move. As I see it it's just about not being an ass.

wingedserpant
16-08-2009, 21:25
We have players in Aberdeen who manage, no matter what the system or army, to link anything said to the army they are particularly obsessed with.

That and saying things like 'I'm a Skaven player, what do you expect?' As if the army you play determines the type of person you are.

'Well once you've bought more than that one box of clanrats then I'd expect you to play Skaven.'

That guys best tactic in game tends to be saying 'six please' everytime he rolls a dice. I see nothing wrong in pointing out and dicussing mistakes made after a game but this guy tries to justify his mistakes.

Like moving expensive vanguard veterans towards a Soulgrinder after brutalising another squad instead of moving out of its charge range.

He wanted them closer so they could get into combat dispite being able to cover 18 inches to get into combat...

That unit could never take on a soul grinder and win. Even if they charged.

danny7865
16-08-2009, 22:09
EVeryone knows the player who blames the incompetence of his troops for his losses not his general ship. Nothing is more frustrating when someone gets one roll in a game below expectation and then cites it for his overall demise.

BAZZALOLBAMEHH
16-08-2009, 23:19

yea this annoys me, they randomly roll, usally for panic, then if its enough to make then flee again they say "oh panic" when the just rolled and failed, but if they pass , they point arrogantly at the dice and say , "i rallied", honestly **** off, ITS A GAME!

BAZZALOLBAMEHH
16-08-2009, 23:21
We have players in Aberdeen who manage, no matter what the system or army, to link anything said to the army they are particularly obsessed with.

That and saying things like 'I'm a Skaven player, what do you expect?' As if the army you play determines the type of person you are.

'Well once you've bought more than that one box of clanrats then I'd expect you to play Skaven.'

That guys best tactic in game tends to be saying 'six please' everytime he rolls a dice. I see nothing wrong in pointing out and dicussing mistakes made after a game but this guy tries to justify his mistakes.

Like moving expensive vanguard veterans towards a Soulgrinder after brutalising another squad instead of moving out of its charge range.

He wanted them closer so they could get into combat dispite being able to cover 18 inches to get into combat...

That unit could never take on a soul grinder and win. Even if they charged.

ralton by any chance and whos this? im barry btw:)

The Red Scourge
16-08-2009, 23:38
EVeryone knows the player who blames the incompetence of his troops for his losses not his general ship. Nothing is more frustrating when someone gets one roll in a game below expectation and then cites it for his overall demise.

I've never heard such nonsense! :rolleyes:

I am the perfect general, my tactics are without flaw, my strategy sublime. No opponent has ever bested my superhuman wits, and I am courteous, humble, debonnaire and look good to beat. Yet once in a while, I'm cursed with having the most useless of troops - like a unit of Khorne Knights struggling for three rounds to beat up a lone goblin shaman, or a treeman failing to even scratch a unit of CoK he hit in the flank and getting run down... Hmm.. Sorry come to think of it both battles ended up as a massacre in my favor, but I guess a lesser general could have lost because of it :angel:

Shadowfax
17-08-2009, 00:04
Well instead of measuring from one unit to another, he would measure to it, then pivot the measuring tape from side to side, basically giving him a view to how far away everything was.
You're allowed to do this in certain situations (like measuring for the movement of a monster or a flyer). Doing it with a ranked unit's movement, or with a shooting unit after it had already declared it's target, would be pretty poor form though.

HellRaid
17-08-2009, 02:36
Major rant ahead, watch out ;)

So, one of the two guys I regularly play against has just started collecting Dwarves, and has lost every game since he started with them (partly because he's playing experienced VC and Lizardmen players with an army he doesn't know how to use properly).

Naturally, rather than looking upon his faulty battle plan, faulty deployment and faulty army list with wisdom and dignity gained from hindsight, he simply believes his army is cursed.

Today I dusted off my Wood Elves and had a game against his dwarves.

Every time I rolled above average (or he rolled below average), he would make a loud complaint. For example:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hit with 7/10 attacks on a 4+...
Him: "Oh, you ALWAYS hit with EVERYTHING. I NEVER hit with ANYTHING EVER. My dwarves SUCK in combat."

After scoring no wounds, I proceed to fail a Ld 9 break test with a large unit of otherwise untouched dryads and flee - his dwarves catch them and run them down.
Him (laughingly): "Hah, that was pretty unlucky."
Me: "Indeed it was."

In the next combat, his dwarves only hit once with 6 attacks.
Him: "OH my GOD. This game is CLEARLY against me. I'm NEVER going to win now."
Me: "..."

Also, you know how sometimes you'll get caught up in the game and forget to do your magic phase before your shooting phase? Or perhaps you've dived straight into combat and forgotten about a single unit's shooting (that, while important, was on the other side of the table and not the focus of your attention)?

Most players in my area are courteous enough to let you go back and do the magic/shooting you forgot about (or at least compromise - like saying you only generate half your PD because you're an idiot). Not this guy though... which is a shame, because I know he'd expect me to let him off with it.

Sigh...

Condottiere
17-08-2009, 06:34
You're allowed to do this in certain situations (like measuring for the movement of a monster or a flyer). Doing it with a ranked unit's movement, or with a shooting unit after it had already declared it's target, would be pretty poor form though.Since you do have to measure constantly, how you do it over the first three turns is a pretty good indication of what your actual intentions are.

maze ironheart
17-08-2009, 09:45
Just found another one when players say oh your using dwarfs I am just going to drop those despell scrolls.

rtunian
17-08-2009, 15:48
Just found another one when players say oh your using dwarfs I am just going to drop those despell scrolls.

if i wanted to compete with tailors, i'd be a seamster.

AndrewGPaul
17-08-2009, 16:05

My opinion is, and always will be, if you don't have a printout, it doesn't count. I've played too many games where someone's said " Oh, the forum says it works like this ..." and their either lying or simply wrong. PRINT THE $%^& thing OUT!

It's almost as annoying as critiquing someone else's game. :)

AndrewGPaul
17-08-2009, 16:23

That seems fine to me - you should be allowed to tailor your army to fight the one you're up against (not the exact list, but the race). If I bring an army along, and find out I'm playing Dwarves, I'd expect to be allowed to tweak it. Similarly, if he should be allowed to fiddle his army list.

Major rant ahead, watch out ;)

So, one of the two guys I regularly play against has just started collecting Dwarves, and has lost every game since he started with them (partly because he's playing experienced VC and Lizardmen players with an army he doesn't know how to use properly).

Naturally, rather than looking upon his faulty battle plan, faulty deployment and faulty army list with wisdom and dignity gained from hindsight, he simply believes his army is cursed.

Offer to swap armies - you use his dwarves, he uses your Wood Elves. That should demonstrate the fallacy of his outlook. Especially if you swap dice, too.

PeG
17-08-2009, 16:31
My list is rather short so I guess I am either lucky or havent played enough warhammer lately.

People who strongly argue about rules without knowing them (which often turn out to be a 40k-fantasy mix up)

People who quit during a game. Played in an annoying legendary battles in which out entire left flank (Bretts) decided the game was boring at his end of the table and left after three turns.

Finally people who takes joy in smashing newbies without offering advice and being upset if anyone else offers advice also when it is done after the game. Especially if they do it by bending the rules. We have a TK player that is very fond of this and who gets very upset if anyone says anything. I got yelled at when I reminded a dwarf player (who was playing his first game of warhammer ever) to shoot with his cannons before firing his thunderers. This was in turn three and he had forgotten about it the two previous turns and TK refused to let him fire them afterwards since he could then measure distances when firing his first shots. When I said something the game was already over.

The same TK player in his last game against WE managed to do the following
cast an incantation on his casket that allows warmachines an extra shooting attack and using it to cast light of something with the argument that the spell description is that light shoots out of the casket despite it also saying that it is cast like an incantation with a power level of something.

Charging through impassible terrain with a unit of chariots

Casting spells first with a priest in the chariot unit and then when that priest got charged and killed by a treeman saying he wasnt the hierophant. Obviously he didnt have it written down but claimed he always has his hierophant with his casket. Interestingly in my last game with him I killed his casket in turn 1 with hail of doom and then the hierophant was somewhere else. After my game with him we also discussed the importance of making notes of things like who the hierophant is.

There was also some other things that I am not sure if they are correct or not one which is posted in the rules forum.

rtunian
17-08-2009, 17:59
cheaters and poor sports are WAY worse than stinkers, imo

kor anon
17-08-2009, 18:34
People who powergame excessively, using ultra cheesy lists all the time (which i dont mind) but when you have a unit or spell or something that works effectively against their army they whine and moan about how unfair and cheesey that unit is. (According to my local guy Plague is the most overpowered spell in the game despite the fact he runs a magic heavy tzeench army who almost always gets infernal gateway :rolleyes:)

Havock
17-08-2009, 18:39
Gateway is hardly OP'ed, I'd rate spirit of the forge a lot higher when facing off against chaos. Gateway has a small chance to nuke a unit, SotF tends to nuke units of knights every turn.

wingedserpant
17-08-2009, 18:53
ralton by any chance and whos this? im barry btw:)

Its Offswitch.

Killboss
17-08-2009, 21:52
Wow, after reading this, im almost happy i've never played a pickup game at GW....

Maoriboy007
18-08-2009, 01:02
Gateway is hardly OP'ed, I'd rate spirit of the forge a lot higher when facing off against chaos. Gateway has a small chance to nuke a unit, SotF tends to nuke units of knights every turn.

Gateway is a pretty tough spell, an average roll can easily cause serious damage to a unit regardless of its armour save (unlike SotF). The 11-12 result is just plain stupid because it can cause the game to end prematurely on a single dice roll.

theDarkGeneral
18-08-2009, 04:04
Well, 15 years (almost) of playing, and only twice have I really had a serious issue with guys I was playing. Both times it was in a Tournament (RTT level) and both times the guys were just blatantly trying to cheat and continously argue every lil' movement, rule and FAQ...and both times I slammed my dice on the table, and threatened to rip their arms off and beat them silly with them if they didn't calm down!

Being bigger and an MMA coach/competitor has it's advantages...

Killboss
18-08-2009, 08:37
heh... lol nice move.

maze ironheart
18-08-2009, 12:55
My opinion is, and always will be, if you don't have a printout, it doesn't count. I've played too many games where someone's said " Oh, the forum says it works like this ..." and their either lying or simply wrong. PRINT THE $%^& thing OUT!

It's almost as annoying as critiquing someone else's game. :)

If your talking about not haveing your army list on paper well then that makes the person not a veteran thats how it works at my local.The things you need to be a veteran at my local is a army list dice and tape measure and at least a basecoated army.This stops people changing their list to be best tailored to beating 1 army as it is seen as boreing.

That seems fine to me - you should be allowed to tailor your army to fight the one you're up against (not the exact list, but the race). If I bring an army along, and find out I'm playing Dwarves, I'd expect to be allowed to tweak it. Similarly, if he should be allowed to fiddle his army list.

Offer to swap armies - you use his dwarves, he uses your Wood Elves. That should demonstrate the fallacy of his outlook. Especially if you swap dice, too.

I don't mind if they ask it's that they don't ask I could remove my bolt throwers if I am fighting wood elves without asking but I don't.

rtunian
18-08-2009, 15:46
Well, 15 years (almost) of playing, and only twice have I really had a serious issue with guys I was playing. Both times it was in a Tournament (RTT level) and both times the guys were just blatantly trying to cheat and continously argue every lil' movement, rule and FAQ...and both times I slammed my dice on the table, and threatened to rip their arms off and beat them silly with them if they didn't calm down!

what you should do is...
think of 6 possible outcomes, and then afford your extremely annoying opponent a dice roll.

1 - you rip off his arms and beat him to death with them
2 - you take off your shoe and beat him to death with it
3 - you end his existence mercifully by snapping his neck
4 - you break three fingers on each of his hands
5 - you give him a stern look
6 - you let him go

EvC
18-08-2009, 17:28
Ahh, diceliving, gotta try that sometime :D

The Red Scourge
18-08-2009, 19:08

Wow! You're like a real toughie. You want my lunch money? :rolleyes:

phoenixlaw
18-08-2009, 20:06

and they didn't just laugh at you for having your little girly hissy fit ??

Harwammer
18-08-2009, 21:14
I was playing in a RTT. Obviously in a tournament setting I want to make sure we were getting the rules right as tournaments are serious business. Anyway, one game I draw this guy. I keep having to correct him on the same movement rules, maybe I was being pedantic, but then he just slams down on the table and completely tries to intimidate me. No verbal threat was made (maybe there was, I can't remember, I was too scared!) but I felt like he wanted to break my arms.

I don't know if I felt more threatened than annoyed, but it certainly ruined my day (and my underwear!)

hawo0313
19-08-2009, 11:40
I had a game a while ago where a guy wanted to have a pick up game with me because we were both painting and he wanted to play I agreed firstly he didn't let me use the SM codex because my some of my men were painted a BA and I couldn't use DC because they werent assembled yet and then after hed seen my list for 600 pts he added a landraider and put Vulcan in it (proxied) so when I asked him if I could borrow some assault marines the store owned for DC he wouldn't let me change my list and suffice to say without lascannons and only a couple of multi meltas he won though vengeance was sweet as my friend (eldar) reduced his army to two models after turn 2

but thats 40k most of the fantasy players I play against are reasonable but thats because I've only played 3-4 games

Dasyatis
19-08-2009, 12:06

Congratulations! You`ve managed to bully somebody smaller than yourself.

I would assume that after this you were kicked out of the tournament for physically threatening your opponent ?

HereticLosMorte
19-08-2009, 15:16
i've come across less annoying fantasy players than i have 40k players. 40k tends to have alot more of the "male genetalia prowess" complex than fantasy does. i regularly see 40k players (alot of younger kids) screaming and whining about things not going their way, or the reverse, mocking opponents incessantly because they're "pwning" them. it's all a power game, and whoever has the newest, biggest weapon (newest codex release) seems to have the upperhand.

in fantasy, it's a lot less forgiving if a player is a bad tactician, or simply makes a judgement error. i've only met one fantasy player (knock on wood) that was immature and could not handle a game. he stated his HE's could not be beat. he simply made bad judgement calls on charge distances, used the wrong units on mine, etc. granted, he was 13 or 14, but he went off the handle.

he charged my ironbreakers (store army i was using against him at work) with his dragon princes, with a unit of hammerers sitting next to the IB's. so when he failed to send my IB's packing, i flanked his DP's with my hammerers and routed them. then he tried firing a bolt thrower through a 6 inch wood into a unit of mine, and flipped because it wasn't allowed in the rules. by turn 3, he starting screaming and throwing a fit i have yet to see the likes of, literally grabbed a unit of HE spearmen and threw them straight down into his box, breaking them and whatever was in the box. he then kicked the box halfway across the store, and ran out leaving it all behind.

i picked up his stuff, put it all in the box, and set it aside for his return. he came back a few days later and asked who broke all of his stuff, and had another tantrum.

i recently went in (no longer working there, and there he was, whining during a 40k game, about how his unit looks so much bigger than the opponents, it should be impossible to hurt them. he's now roughly 17 or 18. it's quite ridiculous.

rtunian
19-08-2009, 15:21
lol darkgen, you've gained alot of ire for this post.
imo you guys are overreacting.

it would have been bullying if he walked around the table, stood toe to toe, and literally tried to physically intimidate the other person. but that's not at all how the story is presented. in the story, he just slams his dice down (an act of frustration), and then makes a flippant remark about issuing bodily harm if the cheating/lawyering didn't stop (something that happens ALL THE TIME in warhammer... see the case of "i'll beat you with my brb!").

maybe if he was a wookiee and really able to rip the arms out of the sockets could it be perceived as a real threat. what if i threaten to tear your head off and play volleyball with it, are you really going to take that seriously?

if you are, you're a *****.

as an aside, bullying has nothing to do with size, it's all about relative confidence. a very confident person can bully an unconfident person regardless of the difference in their size. if you have never had an aggressive girlfriend, you might have no idea what i'm talking about, but damn, petite ladies can be real bullies. again, it's all about the relative confidence levels between the two involved.

Thanatos_elNyx
19-08-2009, 16:17
It's funny some people take even outragious threats as serious.

Like in Ireland if you say you are going to Kill someone, then you just generally mean to verbally berate someone. But a friend of mine said it to an American once and he though this was a serious threat to his life!

EvC
19-08-2009, 16:22
as an aside, bullying has nothing to do with size, it's all about relative confidence. a very confident person can bully an unconfident person regardless of the difference in their size.

Yeah but do you really think that in a typical gaming environment, as compared to a typical snot-noted rules lawyer, that the dark general would seem lacking in the confidence department?

DarkTerror
19-08-2009, 16:34
It's funny some people take even outragious threats as serious.

Like in Ireland if you say you are going to Kill someone, then you just generally mean to verbally berate someone. But a friend of mine said it to an American once and he though this was a serious threat to his life!

In America such statements are usually made by children in such a way that they're exaggerating their personal anger with someone, though not actually issuing any physical harm. However, if you heard an adult say something similar it might throw you off and want to get going as to avoid a fight.

Condottiere
19-08-2009, 17:13
Context is everything - nowadays, you have to watch what you say and to whom, and under what circumstances.

monkeigh89
19-08-2009, 19:28
A couple weeks ago I showed up for a mega battle event at GW, when the only other people participating in the event seemed like they were all under the age of 14 I got a little worried but decided to play anyway since I was itching to use my chaos dwarfs. Anyway, I team up with two of the kids (brothers) who seemed alright. The game turned into a nightmare, every rules dispute turned into a shouting match between the kids, the staff would keep telling them to calm down and keep it quiet since there were other games going on.

Now the poster for the event clearly stated that the game would last from 2-5pm, which was reiterated by the staff right before the event started. But on turn 3 my two teammates announced that it was 3:30 and time for them to pack up since their mom was coming. This ended the game (the staff's idea that one of the enemy players turn on them didn't really cut it with me since all of his units were on the complete opposite end of the table with respect to the model that we had to defend, so even with his help I would be swarmed since all he could do was attack a single flank). I was pretty annoyed that someone would enter a game knowing well in advance that they could only stick around for half of it and not give anyone warning, if we had known that earlier it would have made sense for them to either not play at all or have them on different sides so when they left the balance would not have changed so dramatically. I no longer go to that particular GW since it is overrun with little kids and seems more like a daycare center.

Edit *** I guess the moral of the story is always ask when someone has to leave if they are waiting for a ride, and let your opponent know ahead of time if you are on someone else's schedule ***

DarkTerror
19-08-2009, 20:03
A couple weeks ago I showed up for a mega battle event at GW, when the only other people participating in the event seemed like they were all under the age of 14 I got a little worried but decided to play anyway since I was itching to use my chaos dwarfs. Anyway, I team up with two of the kids (brothers) who seemed alright. The game turned into a nightmare, every rules dispute turned into a shouting match between the kids, the staff would keep telling them to calm down and keep it quiet since there were other games going on.

Now the poster for the event clearly stated that the game would last from 2-5pm, which was reiterated by the staff right before the event started. But on turn 3 my two teammates announced that it was 3:30 and time for them to pack up since their mom was coming. This ended the game (the staff's idea that one of the enemy players turn on them didn't really cut it with me since all of his units were on the complete opposite end of the table with respect to the model that we had to defend, so even with his help I would be swarmed since all he could do was attack a single flank). I was pretty annoyed that someone would enter a game knowing well in advance that they could only stick around for half of it and not give anyone warning, if we had known that earlier it would have made sense for them to either not play at all or have them on different sides so when they left the balance would not have changed so dramatically. I no longer go to that particular GW since it is overrun with little kids and seems more like a daycare center.

Edit *** I guess the moral of the story is always ask when someone has to leave if they are waiting for a ride, and let your opponent know ahead of time if you are on someone else's schedule ***

I'm actually quite surprised you thought you could get in a 3v3 game in 3 hours anyway, including setup and takedown. Unless you're playing 750 points or something extremely small.

monkeigh89
19-08-2009, 20:06
I'm actually quite surprised you thought you could get in a 3v3 game in 3 hours anyway, including setup and takedown. Unless you're playing 750 points or something extremely small.

Since we were somewhat pressed for space on the table it was around 500 points per army. Setup was actually done a little before 2, so the "start time" was when we started rolling dice.

Stronginthearm
19-08-2009, 23:12
Most annoying thing thing for me was playing a game and half the time my opponent was texting or playing games on his phone, I would role dice explaining that it was to hit or to wound and he looks up and says, "what? I didnt see it sorry do it over again" my god it took 5 hours to get through a game that would normally have taken 2, he also was arguing about whether I got a ward save against a cannon ball, its simple ITS A WARD SAVE YOU ALWAYS GET IT UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE IN THE RULES if it were just like an armor save but crappier it would have NO VALUE

Xollob
19-08-2009, 23:55

i imagine, greater health and fitness, and you can use your combat experience in the ring to play warhammer/40k and more confidently counteract a rival players strategies when deploying and moving their toy soldiers.

Incidentally what Gym do you coach at as I am close to the wolfsflair gym, which has trained a few successfull MMA fighters and they keep asking me to join in

Killboss
20-08-2009, 07:49
i've come across less annoying fantasy players than i have 40k players. 40k tends to have alot more of the "male genetalia prowess" complex than fantasy does. i regularly see 40k players (alot of younger kids) screaming and whining about things not going their way, or the reverse, mocking opponents incessantly because they're "pwning" them. it's all a power game, and whoever has the newest, biggest weapon (newest codex release) seems to have the upperhand.

in fantasy, it's a lot less forgiving if a player is a bad tactician, or simply makes a judgement error. i've only met one fantasy player (knock on wood) that was immature and could not handle a game. he stated his HE's could not be beat. he simply made bad judgement calls on charge distances, used the wrong units on mine, etc. granted, he was 13 or 14, but he went off the handle.

he charged my ironbreakers (store army i was using against him at work) with his dragon princes, with a unit of hammerers sitting next to the IB's. so when he failed to send my IB's packing, i flanked his DP's with my hammerers and routed them. then he tried firing a bolt thrower through a 6 inch wood into a unit of mine, and flipped because it wasn't allowed in the rules. by turn 3, he starting screaming and throwing a fit i have yet to see the likes of, literally grabbed a unit of HE spearmen and threw them straight down into his box, breaking them and whatever was in the box. he then kicked the box halfway across the store, and ran out leaving it all behind.

i picked up his stuff, put it all in the box, and set it aside for his return. he came back a few days later and asked who broke all of his stuff, and had another tantrum.

i recently went in (no longer working there,) and there he was, whining during a 40k game, about how his unit looks so much bigger than the opponents, it should be impossible to hurt them. he's now roughly 17 or 18. it's quite ridiculous.

That, is without doubt the definition of a sore loser.

The Red Scourge
20-08-2009, 07:59
lol darkgen, you've gained alot of ire for this post.
imo you guys are overreacting.

Darkgen haven't generated any ire. He is getting ridiculed for his aggressive behaviour though, and one day far from now when he's grown withered and grey sitting on his porch painting little toy soldiers, he'll think back fondly of his days as a young and immature grasshopper ;)

Rikkjourd
20-08-2009, 08:24
...and both times I slammed my dice on the table, and threatened to rip their arms off and beat them silly with them if they didn't calm down!

I think you just made a fool of yourself twice. Once during the game and once when bragging about it on teh intarwebz.

kramplarv
20-08-2009, 11:24
I don't see that as anymore bragging than anyone else claiming how they pwnd ppl like in "lolz, i hate players who does X, but i won anyways lolz!"

If I have to believe anything in this thread, then it is TDGs statement not, "lolz, I hate it when ppl accuse me for cheese when i winz!" because that is clearly a braggingpost telling the intercookies "look at me, i'm fkkng 1337!!!!!! plebz!"

grumbaki
20-08-2009, 15:36
Rather than rehash any of the things said previously, what follows is an example of behavior that I find annoying with some players. I had a cav list, he had an infantry one backed up with artillery. Using terrain and mobility, I managed to double charge a unit, break it and hit the flank of a second unit. In one turn I took out his general and two blocks of infantry for the loss of one knight. I felt pleased with myself. My opponent, rather than thinking about how he could have deployed better or positioned his blocks/characters, went on to tell me how horrible infantry is in warhammer. Infact, in a different system he plays infantry can change its formation much easier and turn so that they have no flanks at all! This system was of course much better than warhammer's, so after the game he decided that it would be best to tell me about his great victories in the other game. I listened politely, but I would have much prefered to have discussed how best to use infantry blocks to deal with multiple units of 5 man knight units.

maaksel
20-08-2009, 15:53
How do you guys feel about people who know MOST of the rules, but still need a little help once in a while? (I am this guy). I'm not a pro or super serious gamer, but I'm in the upper half of most players. Just some rules throw me off in certain books (not general game play). I've read through all the armies books and tried to understand them the best I can.

I have no idea what magic items do what, but I know the general overall rules for armies and special units.

maaksel
20-08-2009, 15:56
Rather than rehash any of the things said previously, what follows is an example of behavior that I find annoying with some players. I had a cav list, he had an infantry one backed up with artillery. Using terrain and mobility, I managed to double charge a unit, break it and hit the flank of a second unit. In one turn I took out his general and two blocks of infantry for the loss of one knight. I felt pleased with myself. My opponent, rather than thinking about how he could have deployed better or positioned his blocks/characters, went on to tell me how horrible infantry is in warhammer. Infact, in a different system he plays infantry can change its formation much easier and turn so that they have no flanks at all! This system was of course much better than warhammer's, so after the game he decided that it would be best to tell me about his great victories in the other game. I listened politely, but I would have much prefered to have discussed how best to use infantry blocks to deal with multiple units of 5 man knight units.

If that were me, I wouldn't have complained about infantry sucking. I would have been like "ohh man - GG!, lets give it another round and see if I can even hold up". I like to ask my opponents "What do you think I could do better?". I've had only a handful of people say "I'm just that good (not exactly, but it was implied)". Most people will show you what you did wrong, point out weaknesses that I should/could have exploited etc.

I also do likewise for anyone that asks.

grumbaki
20-08-2009, 16:37
If that were me, I wouldn't have complained about infantry sucking. I would have been like "ohh man - GG!, lets give it another round and see if I can even hold up". I like to ask my opponents "What do you think I could do better?". I've had only a handful of people say "I'm just that good (not exactly, but it was implied)". Most people will show you what you did wrong, point out weaknesses that I should/could have exploited etc.

I also do likewise for anyone that asks.

Which is why you are the opposite of what this thread is about.

Gaius Marius
20-08-2009, 20:16
Well I once played a kid (14ish) at the local GW store in a tournament. He had Vampire Counts and His Dad backing him up... His Dad was cool, but the Kid just kept getting derailed talking about the fluff for his Vampires and in this really annoying way about the stats and why they were so cool and not paying attention to his game. After a while I told him my other army was VC - which was sort of true, but I knew the rule set. Any way he seemed a little upset as I destroyed him by the numbers. My Empire list is themed toward fighting undead & chaos, and I had 10+ years experience on him, so it wasn't even close. Dude was driving me nuts. I kept my cool as best I could, explained what it was I was doing as I kicked his but, and occationally turned to his Dad for help in explaining things. All in all super frustrating.
I am talking to the store staff after the game, quietly, and I said something about that super annoying kid driving me crazy. The staffer says, "Yeah but he is Autistic, you knew that right?" I had no clue the kid was Autistic, but it suddenly explained 99% of the behavior and I felt like a total jerk. The staffer then told me that the kids Dad came up afterwards to thank them for putting his kid up against me because I had been so patient and helpful. I felt three inches tall.
I have tried using Warhammer as a self improvement exercise, about learning to win and lose with grace, and to be nice to puppies and irritaiting kids, a way of working on my people skills. Appearantly it's working. Sometimes.

FictionalCharacter
20-08-2009, 20:22
How do you guys feel about people who know MOST of the rules, but still need a little help once in a while? (I am this guy). I'm not a pro or super serious gamer, but I'm in the upper half of most players. Just some rules throw me off in certain books (not general game play). I've read through all the armies books and tried to understand them the best I can.

I have no idea what magic items do what, but I know the general overall rules for armies and special units.

you should be instantly decapitated for not having committed to memory every rule in every book.

or we could just pause for a second and look it up.

Rikkjourd
20-08-2009, 22:24
I am talking to the store staff after the game, quietly, and I said something about that super annoying kid driving me crazy. The staffer says, "Yeah but he is Autistic, you knew that right?" I had no clue the kid was Autistic, but it suddenly explained 99% of the behavior and I felt like a total jerk. The staffer then told me that the kids Dad came up afterwards to thank them for putting his kid up against me because I had been so patient and helpful. I felt three inches tall.

This made me think of a funny thing I did not long ago. It is kind of unrelated but funny so I post it anyway.

I went to my local independent game store to pick up some stuff. Suddenly I heard alot of banging on the windows, I see a kid bashing them with his fists and then he runs inside. He then started to pick up random items like books and boxes and handled them very rough (nobody wants to buy a book that is already worn and has its covers bent for example). So I turn to the staffers and say: Who the hell is that retard?! Why don't you tell him to quiet down or throw him out?!
Awkward moment in 3...2...1!

Turns out, it was the store managers son. It was a pain to finish the transaction at the counter...

DarkTerror
20-08-2009, 22:36
This made me think of a funny thing I did not long ago. It is kind of unrelated but funny so I post it anyway.

I went to my local independent game store to pick up some stuff. Suddenly I heard alot of banging on the windows, I see a kid bashing them with his fists and then he runs inside. He then started to pick up random items like books and boxes and handled them very rough (nobody wants to buy a book that is already worn and has its covers bent for example). So I turn to the staffers and say: Who the hell is that retard?! Why don't you tell him to quiet down or throw him out?!
Awkward moment in 3...2...1!

Turns out, it was the store managers son. It was a pain to finish the transaction at the counter...

Awkward, but I bet it was twice as awkward for the store manager. I also bet no one else had the nerve to tell him how annoying his kid is in the store.

Harsh, but maybe it did some good

... besides getting blood flowing to your face.

AlexSI
21-08-2009, 00:17
Hello.

I have had only one unpleasant experience with an other player so far.

Some years ago, I was playing a small friendly tournament of Confrontation (if someone doesn't know it's a fantasy battle game but with much smaller armies and more random than Warhammer). Since it was a friendly there would be a reward for everybody with only the winner taking a double reward.

My two first battles went without any problem.

In the third one I was drawn against a known and experienced and therefore respected player. But he was due to lose my respect in a matter of minutes.

He began relaxed, talking and joking, seemingly awaiting an easy victory, but dice just weren't on his side at all (while mine were just normal). Minute after minute his face went through all shades of red and purple you can imagine. He stopped talking and began snorting, rumbling, grumbling and swearing through his gritting teeth, being I think just on the brink of roaring and pounding his chest with his fists. I should add that he was about half taller and five or six times wider than I was (could sit on three or four tabourets in the same time I think). You imagine that it was a frightening sight that a nice guy was turning into a barely contained storm of destruction.

As I was just a 17 year old lad at the time I began to be seriously frightened so I didn't dare utter a word for some time. But then to loosen a little bit of tension I tried to make a little joke about his 60 points elite failing to kill in close combat my 10 point model with pitiful stats (in fact its primary use is not fighting but just running at the enemy and explode in its contact) for 3 entire turns. "STOP TALKING S*** and JUST PLAY !!!" was I told in a somewhat abrupt manner.

Astonished looks from the other tables. We finish the battle in an uneasy silence and leave each other without shaking hands, the other guy preferring to storm outside without even clearing the table of his models. He eventually finished the tournament 3rd having won his other battles and left me with the perfect example of the life frustrated chap who can't deal with himself. Fortunately I never met him again.

kramplarv
21-08-2009, 00:45
What I do find very annoying are people not doing the best to win. When I'm playing, I want to win. And if the other player don't really care abut it, then the challenge is not as great as it could be. And I feel that i have wasted a few hours... (worst of all is when the other dude wins :(:()

like playing a freerolls on the interwebz. :(

Tarian
21-08-2009, 02:27
I played someone once who just spent the entire game listening to her IPod or other such MP3 device. That wouldn't have bothered me so much if I didn't have to keep reminding her that it was her turn so she had to move models and/or roll dice...

eyescrossed
21-08-2009, 02:47
I once played this fat kid who loved to take advantage of me not looking at the game occasionally. He would move his models sometimes across the ENTIRE board or switch his characters in and out of squads. The best part is when I would catch him cheating his response would be, "oh yeah, you're right."
To all of the cheating players out there... cheaters NEVER win, unless they win.:) BUT DONT CHEAT!
Wow, somehow him being fat has something to do with how he acted :rolleyes:

You're allowed to do this in certain situations (like measuring for the movement of a monster or a flyer). Doing it with a ranked unit's movement, or with a shooting unit after it had already declared it's target, would be pretty poor form though.
Yeah, but he had a Trebuchet and 2 or 3 units of Archers, and amazingly, when it came to his shooting phase, he guessed so that the shot landed right in the middle of one of my units :rolleyes:

Well I once played a kid (14ish) at the local GW store in a tournament. He had Vampire Counts and His Dad backing him up... His Dad was cool, but the Kid just kept getting derailed talking about the fluff for his Vampires and in this really annoying way about the stats and why they were so cool and not paying attention to his game. After a while I told him my other army was VC - which was sort of true, but I knew the rule set. Any way he seemed a little upset as I destroyed him by the numbers. My Empire list is themed toward fighting undead & chaos, and I had 10+ years experience on him, so it wasn't even close. Dude was driving me nuts. I kept my cool as best I could, explained what it was I was doing as I kicked his but, and occationally turned to his Dad for help in explaining things. All in all super frustrating.
I have tried using Warhammer as a self improvement exercise, about learning to win and lose with grace, and to be nice to puppies and irritaiting kids, a way of working on my people skills. Appearantly it's working. Sometimes.
Yeah, I'm slightly autistic, so I might seem to be ignoring people or come across as rude. It's really annoying, though, not being able to look a staffer/gamer in the eye when he asks me something. At least you were polite, though. You didn't know, so it wasn't your fault.

theDarkGeneral
19-11-2009, 18:35
LMAO!!!

Almost forgot about this post!

Yup, I threatened and jerk once or twice in my long gaming years...actually twice thus far, 2 different people.

One guy was such a jerk (and actually threatend youngins) and cheater, that he was at one time banned from all 4 local gaming stores...from San Diego, to Pasadena, Temecula and Riverside (all in Cali). My threat to him was in direct response to his aggressive behavior towards me.

Second (and beforemenioned) time was another player who rarely has an un-arguementative game...regardless of whom he's playing. Now, there's always going to be rules disputes, such is the nature of the game, as it's not rules written to cover all strange circumstances. But, there are times that blatant cheating (as many of the above posts have mentioned) is going on. This is very intollerable to myself.

This game/hobby entertains us and we place time, money and effort into it. Some more then others, and the in different parts of the hobby. Just as a player who spends weeks on converting and painting a single model would be justly upset and have the right to threaten someone who was handling his model without permission or even worse break it...it's still just a model right? But to the player who invested his personal work into it, it's more then just a model.

Same true holds for the gaming aspect of rules...

Now, I've traveled quite a bit and played in a lot of tourney's from the lil' RTTs to the big dances (GT/Indy GTs). I've only ever once been dinged below "fun average" in the years, and that was by 2 brothers last year at the Hillbilly...guess loosing wasn't fun for them. Oh well.

Would I really go to the other side of the table and inflict physical harm on another player? Hell no! That'd be very ridiculous and asking for some jail time. As another poster has mentioned, often verbal speech doesn't coincide with the reality.

Much is said during a game of Warhammer Fantasy/40K and most of it is easily forgotten or not taken seriously. Smack talk for fun and theme is quite common place around here, and often encouraged because it makes for a much more fun game! But it's always kept light hearted, and never abusive. Tournaments and League play can bring out tenseness in players, especially if you feel the game outcome will matter on the "big picture"...personalities clash as often as the models, and tempers can be pushed when confidence and ego get involved. THUS, there's Tournament Organizers and their Rules Judges...

Glad I was of some entertainment! :)

Grand Warlord
19-11-2009, 20:41
I always feel like an annoying player because I don't get a chance to play fantasy or 40k at all near consistently so I rarely remember rules outside my army rules.

blackjack
19-11-2009, 20:51
Guys. Try to have some sympathy for people who are

A. Lonely.

B. Socially inept.

C. Suffer from low self esteem (which expresses itself as arrogance, inability to stand losing.)

D. Have anxiety disorders.

Gaming attracts allot of low EQ (emotional Quotient) people, if you're not one of them try to have some sympathy for those who are.

And before you go around pointing fingers at others for their faults have a good look in the mirror at your own.

zeekill
19-11-2009, 20:56

Then say "show me," and if he cant find it in the Rulebook, while you can find why you WOULD get a save, you get your save.

ZeroTwentythree
19-11-2009, 21:08
Gaming attracts allot of low EQ (emotional Quotient) people, if you're not one of them try to have some sympathy for those who are.

And before you go around pointing fingers at others for their faults have a good look in the mirror at your own.

*Looks in mirror.*

Yup. Still no faults, and damn fine to look at too.

I'll continue looking down on people who act like jerks.

;)

Seriously, though, I would separate some of those things you listed. Someone who's lonely or has anxiety issues are one thing. But someone who acts like an arrogant dick (don't take my comment above seriously -- please note the ;) ) is still annoying, whether the root of their problem is low self esteem or not. In fact, letting them know they're being a dick could be what they really need to let them know their behavior is not OK. Just accepting their anti-social behavior won't get them to change.

Awilla the Hun
19-11-2009, 21:39

Seriously a million times this. Warhammer isn't Live At The Improv.

Sir, I apologise. Truly. I didn't know that people found me rude or boring. Last time I checked, they found it between funny and maybe very slightly irritating. When I roar my orders very loudly (for, as an IG Player, I consider it my right and duty to bark out my orders), people appear to take it with equanmity, or laughter. I have became known as the club's most ostentatious, noisy gamer. In one apocalypse game, I made a speech as it went on. No one seemed to mind. Similarly, in one battle, when I was at the head of a mass infantry army, I couldn't resist humming Napoleonic music, and giving orders in that style. Seriously. That is how I play.

As for the Red Guards, of course, they're even worse. Whilst I have cooled a little since my earlier games, I still do make a reasonable amount of propaganda, speeches, death threats (many of those), and suchlike. Thus far, no one has complained. I view both warhammers as almost as much a storytelling experience as a game. I treat it as such. Yes, it may sound a little peculiar to people outside. Then again, long heated debates about Flank Charges and Combat Resolution may sound a little peculiar to people outside.

DarkTerror, Ixquic, thank you for telling me that the heart and soul of the game was being rude and annoying. You have just contradicted most of the players that I have ever met. I also "act my age" on practically every hour of every other day of the week (give or take.) Can I not remove the facade and be a "proper" teenager for four hours or so on a Thursday night, in the company of the similarly afflicted? (Although, admittedly, I would balk at action figure style clashing figures; they're fragile, and I don't know how to pin!) Finally, I would consider my personal hygeine, whilst far from perfect, involves me using deodorant and a shower. (As I probably mispelt both those words, you can infer from that what you wish.)

Now, please: I hope that you don't live in the UK and go to the Great Devourer tournament in Februrary. If you do, there is a chance that you may be playing fantasy. If you are, there is again a chance that you may be meeting me. There is a significant chance that, by then, I will have assembled all my almighty resources of hammy acting, creativity, and LOUD SHOUTING, ("SWEEP THEM AWAY, WITH YOUR MIGHT! CRUSH THE COUNTER REVOLUTIONARIES UNDER YOUR MARCHING BOOTS! SHATTER TO THEM TO THE FOUR WINDS, WITH THE WEIGHT OF YOUR FIRE! FOR YOU, COMRADES, ARE...") for its greatest performance yet. It may well be immature. So what? I was on something approaching ultra serious behaviour in Games Day 2009, my only other general outlet of insanity. (Well, compared to people who run around in excellently made costumes, anyway.)

I may well be a, as you put it, "dork". Being "socially handicapped" is probably not far beyond me. But an annoying opponent? I should hope not!

I think that turned into a rant. Oh well.

Good night.

mdauben
19-11-2009, 22:14
I may well be a, as you put it, "dork". Being "socially handicapped" is probably not far beyond me. But an annoying opponent? I should hope not!
Here! Here! :D

You sir, sound like an opponent I would very much enjoy a game with! I find a bit of all in fun "role playing" and kidding about with my opponent makes any game more enjoyable, winning or not.

Some of these uptight, act-your-age, whinners, on the other hand, don't sound like much fun at all. :p

Toshiro
19-11-2009, 22:57
I dislike players who gives up just cause they lost a unit with no retaliation, example is when my 3 Chariots (I'm a TK player) along with a prince crashed into my opponents 20 corsairs and killed off 16 in the charge and the remaining 4 were hunted down. My opponent basically gave up and said that he'd already lost (round 2 and the only battle yet was that one) even though his CoK were in a great flanking position against my chariots after that. I convinced him it wasn't so, and next turn he creamed my chariots/prince and my 8 heavy horsemen, I then figured I were pretty screwed but kept playing and in the end I got a solid victory. I think you should always be ready to play things out to see what happens :)

Also constant complaining about the rules gets annoying, yes they are pretty illogical at many occasions, but it's the same for all of us, stop whining about it, please... :)

Ultimate Life Form
19-11-2009, 23:11
Sir, I apologise. Truly. I didn't know that people found me rude or boring.

I wouldn't mind an Orc player yelling WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!! when he does declare exactly that, but other than that, it's a game, not acting school, and I have to concentrate, so someone babbling nonsensical gibberish all the time while I make my turn and giving propaganda speeches to imaginary audience would quickly annoy me to a point where I would pack and leave. I have yet to see a chess player turning up dressed like a jester, introducing every single one of his chess pieces with exact heraldry and family tree back to Adam and Eve and announcing every movement of the king with a fanfare. There is a difference between being relaxed and immersed in the hobby and outright childish. I go as far as to theorize that simply no one dared to point out their annoyance until now. That, or you are lucky enough to have a like-minded gaming group (of infants... Nah, that was merely a joke. :p)

Johnnyfrej
19-11-2009, 23:57
I don't know which is more hilarious, the stories of poor losers or the ego-stroking of some of these posts. :D

The most annoying people I would define as the opponents I try to avoid playing. This usually includes people new to the game and anyone under 12. I also find WAAC type players truely annoying (the others its usually just an experience thing). I really don't care how uber someone thinks they are or how awesome their w/l/d record is. This usually extends to Tournament goers as well.

puppetmaster24
20-11-2009, 00:31
I don't know which is more hilarious, the stories of poor losers or the ego-stroking of some of these posts. :D

The most annoying people I would define as the opponents I try to avoid playing. This usually includes people new to the game and anyone under 12. I also find WAAC type players truely annoying (the others its usually just an experience thing). I really don't care how uber someone thinks they are or how awesome their w/l/d record is. This usually extends to Tournament goers as well.

you are quite clearly a boring, soulless, child hating person.

a man after my own heart :evilgrin:

Kahadras
20-11-2009, 00:41
There are a couple of 'bad catagories' of players that I tend to come across. The first type are the 'flexible' ones. Basicaly they're really strict on everything when it comes around to your turn. All dice must be rolled in front of them, exact measurements must be taken, nothing may be done out of sequence etc. Then suddenly on their turn we're back to cocked dice being fine, half an inch out being 'in', going back to do forgotten stuff is fine etc.

The other type of player that annoys me are those that seem to enjoy turning the game into a chore. This seems to take the form of some kind of psychological warfare in which the player moans constantly about everything. Your army is broken, GW underpowered his codex, the mission is biased towards you, the terrain is in your favour, the dice are in your favour etc. Either that or they act like it's some kind of life or death battle. A 'game face' is put on and the convesation is limited down to one line delclarations from your opponant while the rest of the time he spends glaring at you like you've just kicked his puppy to death.

The basic ploy is to make the game so unenjoyable that you simply lose the will to play. Once you don't really give a damn about the game anymore any motivation to actualy win tends to vanish as well.

Kahadras

Havock
20-11-2009, 00:59

40k/fantasy 'tournaments' are a joke really.

ChaosVC
20-11-2009, 01:09
I have to contend with a rich 30 plus year old kid who thinks he can muscle his way to reason but ultimately fail... :angel:

silashand
20-11-2009, 01:26
Request him to read the rules before you play him again. Or don't ever play him again if the experience is too painful to be repeated.

My sentiments exactly. If he can't be bothered to read the rules and play by them, I can't be bothered to waste my time playing a game against him. 'Nuff said.

Souppilgrim
20-11-2009, 02:11
Annoying players? When someone tells me 5 confirmed false rulings, such as mounted chaos warrios getting the parry bonus with ensorcelled weapons and shields, just for example. Then this person says they don't like playing you because it takes forever..............................*sigh*

Johnnyfrej
20-11-2009, 02:59
you are quite clearly a boring, soulless, child hating person.

a man after my own heart :evilgrin:
Hay! I am not boring! ;)

Also sigging this.

40k/fantasy 'tournaments' are a joke really.
My thoughts exactly. The rules are hardly fair enough to be a balanced game, at least as far as bragging goes. It saddens me how many people forget this is a hobby with a game attached.

theDarkGeneral
20-11-2009, 17:48
I love Awilla the Hun's out look! That is fun gaming! I'm a Khorne player by heart, though play multi-gods list as of lately...usualy Khorne/Nurgle, and I'm constantly saying "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD!" or "PLAGUES, ROT, and RAVAGE!" It makes for a more entertaining game! It is a bit story based as we play, otherwise it's just chess with dice rolls. Perhaps some day I'll get the oppurtunity to play ya' Awilla the Hun and while we shout out orders to our "troops" we can laugh at all the horrid dice rolling! Win At All Costs players do suck, but often they aren't the best players, and try to chince rules in their favor, so they're easily enough dealt with or just not played. Funny that there's always a decisive split in the gaming community about Tournament play...I love it and enjoy it the travel and new players/armies that i get to meet and face! I however also love escalation type battles, League play, and the casual pick up games at local stores. Tournaments are just another facet of the hobby.

basher
20-11-2009, 19:59
one thing that really gets my goat up and its amazing how many people i see doing it is rolling dice in the magic phase and not removing them then rolling for the next spell and mixing dice or reuseing the same ones confusing as hell.

i agree with mdauben its a game its ment to be fun how can you complain when your in your 20s,30s, or 40s and and your playing with toy soldiers

Whitwort Stormbringer
20-11-2009, 22:17
I think for everyone it pretty much just boils down to two major characteristics that define an "annoying" player, or in other words just a bad opponent:

1) cheating. no one likes a cheater, we all know it.

2) having the wrong attitude. This means being "in your face" while winning, or mopey and whining (sometimes worse) while losing.

If your enjoyment of the game is conditional upon winning, then you shouldn't play. That's not to say that there's something wrong with wanting to win, which is after all the objective of the game, and of course most of us have more fun when we win than when we lose, but you should be able to enjoy a lost game too. If you're of a more competitive nature, then think of a loss as an opportunity to have learned how to do something better.

I guess I'd throw in that you may as well approach the game with an open mind, so to speak. Tabletop games attract all manner of people, some of us nerdy or weirder than others. As long as someone's still curteous, playing by the rules, and generally enjoying the game, don't nit-pick and get annoyed if some of the things they say and do seem weird. You probably have quirks that you're not even aware of, that other people find somewhat off-putting as well. We all do.

Agnar the Howler
20-11-2009, 22:29
The annoying players I come across are:

Cheats (Liars also fit this category)
Bad sportsmen (I lost, big deal, no need to go around and gloat to people about 'how you pulled it all back' after you cheated me out of it - it also doesn't give you the right to make up stuff about me being immature and whiny and prone to getting upset, where in the game did I once burst into tears/whine/start being immature?)
People who use set-points only, and those who would rather have no battle than a battle under 2000 points of anything (You're sat around doing naff all, you ask me how many points I have, I saw 1000, and you complain about it.)

I also hate the 'I accidentally (on purpose) forgot to bring my rulebook with me so you're going have to trust me.' people. Thankfully I know most of the 40k rules I need, but with fantasy, where i'm still learning the page numbers and where it all is in the book, it's hard to ask someone where that rule is, have them tell you they don't know, and for you to either spend 20 minutes scanning thoroughly from cover to cover, or get back to the game and play their way. I don't have a lot of time when i'm down at my GW, so I can't often afford to spend it on a wild goose chase after a fake rule.

Zaonite
20-11-2009, 23:42
There is a guy at my Local Games Club.

I explained to him that the army I was playing was new to me so I would be looking stuff up constantly to familiarise myself with that particular book.

Every time I was doing something, he would tell me the rules before I could look it up for myself... It's helpful once or twice, but throughout an entire game it gets damned annoying.

Same guy - he cheats - adds magic items and random wizards when he's losing!

petpetpetpet
21-11-2009, 00:01
People who say how great their army list and when it comes to the crunch they struggle crap armies.

orkz222
21-11-2009, 00:10
Most ppl I played are good, once played a cheater + gloater guy... nv playing him again.

-gloat that he nv lost with that particular army.
-not at the table when i'm rolling dice, either he trust me or he thought he already won.
-inflate his units to higher T which I later found out.

Kiyo
21-11-2009, 00:58
It was a Sunday, the day they organise teaching games. It was at one of my local Games Workshops.
t
Me and 5 other kids. To be fair 2 or 3 of them were fine. The blonde little **** infront of me was a cocky, impaticent, little irritation. And worst of all, they were all (bar 2 I think) arguing over some rules or something. If I could get away with one thing, it would be to slap that blonde brat clean across his cheek to the floor.

Red Metal
21-11-2009, 02:56
I've had a couple people hit my painted minis with the end of their measuring tape when checking range. It just irritates me to no end, because all the measuring tapes have metal tips/ends and those people just let it dange out (for a few seconds longer than needs be) there some three feet smacking into my first and second rank - almost knocking figures over. I just think "Yea, you're in range. Now stop dinging my well-painted figures".

Of course, I always hate it when players don't pay more attention to where they are in location to where minis are located. This mostly happens with younger players, though.

Laughingmonk
21-11-2009, 03:22
One of my best friends is one of the worst opponents I have ever played against, in fantasy and in 40k. I've known him since childhood, and while he is a little overbearing the conversation can be great. Once it's down to any game though, he gloats, nit picks, and worst of all, gets a really bad attitude when he starts to lose.

I only play people I already know and get along with in Warhammer. I judge a game by how many laughs and jokes are had. One of the best games I ever had was against demons. 2 hours later, the table was surrounded by people who aching from laughing so hard, myself and my opponent included.

Honestly, the most annoying players are the ones who can't loosen up when it comes to dealing with little plastic army men.

Seth the Dark
21-11-2009, 04:09
A lot of these stories force you to realize you have to look at yourself and see how you play.

wilsongrahams
21-11-2009, 19:20
I have to agree with most posts on here.

When the terrain is against me, the dice are all against me, and things are looking poor, I tend to have just as much fun - I accept I'm going to lose pretty quickly, but if I win, that will then be a heroic victory. The best gam,es are when all hope is lost.

I also have to second disliking having my miniatures batted across the table by dice and tape measures because I paint infantry to a higher standard than most. And it annoys the hell out of me when passers by pick up models to view them without asking, and in particular when in a game because it's hard to tell where they were - this can annoy both players.

I'm a pretty new player to fantasy but am good at the rules, but if I'm not 100% sure of something I will check, rather than try to gain an advantage where I may not actually have one - this is usually just the WS or Ld of a unit, which takes a second to check on the summary page at the back of my army book - which I always have open at the side of the table. Other things to check are the exact wording and casting values of spells not used regularly.

I welcome new players to fight against, because I'm patient and don't mind explaining things - even why I'm doing my own things if it will help them in future - I scratch this game off as a lesson rather than a competitive game. Also, becaue I find that the local store staff tend to be WAAC players and I don't think it is fair to leave new players at their mercy. I have had to learn the Dwarfs AB because the store guy seems to have T5, S4, 3+ save dwarves and about ten runes on a thane... and whilst now I know to check such things, a new player may lose heart and give up on the hobby because he is having no fun.

I've said this before, but I enjoy a massacre as much as a win, as long as I learn something for next time. Enjoying the battle is more important than winning. And when I finally beat one particular guy who I always lose against, I will have achieved something I've had to work at. An easy win is boring, and cheating would not count as a win on tactics or army selection, so may as well be a loss.

Xynok
22-11-2009, 23:09
When I play, if neither of us knows the rule or it's not clear, look for about a minute, if we can't find it make a note and roll a dice. But back to the OP people who intentially misinterpret the rules (cheat) really shouldn't play. It's just a game... I know it gets serious but firing in 2 ranks when not on a hill (or not at a large target etc.) is just bad.

Killboss
10-12-2009, 13:28
A lot of these stories force you to realize you have to look at yourself and see how you play.

I know there's been 1 game (there have been others, but this is distinct) where i was the person who had already lost and knew it. It didn't enjoy that game. Magic was sorta fun though.

The game:
Right, so its my first Fntasy game not against the person this topic was stared because of.
I'm Lizzies. I'm vsing WoC. Its also my opponents first time. I had one unit of Knights (one were Slanneshi, 5 of them, the other Khornate, 5, with a jugger mounted BSB) at each of my flanks (army wide flanks, that is). For my first turn, i could do nothing. He moved his warhounds, and horsemen so that all i was doing was getting closer to him (while being a inch or two out of charge range). I'm lizzies, so there' s like no shooting. Magic was shut down (he had 4 scrolls). So, now in the second turn, all his WoC just caught up and cut down the Saurus. He was telling me how they're a fine match up (all the way through the game). Now he doesn't. The Sarus did NOTHING. AT ALL. SERIOSULY. I was hella pissed. Do yeah, i'd basically conseeded a loss without actually giving up.

Now, in my defense, it was pretty much a WoC players wet dream. Taking on an enemy with next to no shooting, with no terrain and against an army whose main comabt unit does next-to-nothing to your own.

Ok, so that turned out longer then i though...

Bac5665
10-12-2009, 16:10

Shouldn't need to be reminded of that. Most important part of playing a warhammer game is making sure that BOTH players have a good time (within reason. Obviously, you don't need to let someone cheat in order to have a good time.)

Wolfroar
11-12-2009, 07:17
I always play friendly games at home with my bro. The thing is, I have read all the rules and sometimes we make mistakes. But my bro has not read all the rules, and when something goes bad for him, he starts to question if I read the rules right.

Last time we had a disagrement about his miners. He said he could attack after they come out of the ground. I said they couldnt. It sort of sets a bad mood.

ftayl5
11-12-2009, 07:33
People like that are so annoying. I once playe dthis guy... at a tournament! Who would just say no to everything I did.

Me: "Alright my turn, my Ironguts will charge that spearmen unit"
Him: "Nup"

Me: "OK, my Butcher will cast Trollguts on this unit here, if succesfully cast, the unit get Regeneration and Magic Resistance 2...*I roll 2 dice*, an 8, you gonna try to dispel it?"
Him: "You can't do that"

Yeah I complained about him halfway through as I was tired of explaining every single rule in the book to this person in a relatively big tournament, where you're meant to be good at playing.

He got kicked from the tourney :)

LouiseDePointe
11-12-2009, 08:30
Playing ogres is great for avoiding becoming an annoying player because, for me, I can accept that I'll probably lose. So I play for other objectives such as eating the tastiest models on the board or just simply causing one heck of a mess.

It's frustrating at times, but it works often enough.

I will say though, I've had far more annoying 40k players than fantasy ones. Something about that system draws them like flies to honey.

But, I played one game against a DE player who kept 'edging' his guys 2-3" in various directions to move them 1. out of charge range 2. into their own charge range or 3. out of los. He then claimed it was close enough. Annoying to say the least.

Shadowsinner
11-12-2009, 17:33
Had a friend of a friend who we'd play with in garage games and we had to kick him recently because we found out he was adding extra points to his list. 2250? more like 2450 and his characters are about 60 points over their item limits.

There's a player at my game store who most people avoid playing. He tries to argue with anything you do that grants you an advantage, but will justify his actions if they are beyond breaking rules such as high elf shadow warriors marching and shooting through 2.5 inches of forest or having units attack twice during overrun into units that have already ended their combat previously. Also hes got a real "lucky knack" for conveniently having items or abilities that work for a specific advantage. My treeman charges your spearmens' flank, oh so you happen to have an assassin with manbane in that unit... how convenient. Normally I'm sure there are players that can catch you off guard with stuff like that, but from what I've been told he's very good at having anti (insert unit here) units when he is seriously caught off guard and at a disadvantage

or like "hey my hydar charges the flank of your blackguard unit, and hell say "oh you have a rear charge" then somehow he pops an asf banner and kills the beast,masters and his assassin wipes out the hydra...

ftayl5
12-12-2009, 00:53
Had a friend of a friend who we'd play with in garage games and we had to kick him recently because we found out he was adding extra points to his list. 2250? more like 2450 and his characters are about 60 points over their item limits.

One of my friends does that too but we let him off because he isnt very good. He plays lizzies and had two engines of the gods, against another of my friends very friendly list, and the lizzie guy lost, despit ethe two engines and an old blood with about 150pts of magic items!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Maybe we're just too good XD