PDA

View Full Version : Best Cavalry

vahouth
10-08-2009, 13:23
Hi all!
Which one is considered to be the Best Cavalry in the Game and why?
I think that this honour belongs to the Blood Knights because, they can be raised back to full strength even after what ever the opponent can throw at them.
Thoughts?:D

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 13:28
They also have a banner for a 4+ shooting ward save designed for them which helps too. The only negative is frenzy which isn't too hard to work around.

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 13:31
Volund's Venators - Champion Captain, strength 4/6, and they don't care who they fight for, as long as there's wine, women and song. And a paychest.

stiggie
10-08-2009, 13:52
id say chaos knights over blood knights??

mainly because they come with magic weapons and a 1+ save standard and are 15 points cheaper than blood knights..

if blood knights didnt die from combat res everytime they charge i would've said them though.

Angry Lawyer
10-08-2009, 13:53
Gryphon Legion. A panic test whenever they charge is fun, fun, fun.

-Angry Lawyer

Tokamak
10-08-2009, 13:53
Easily wolf riders. Can't go wrong at 10 points each.

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 13:56
id say chaos knights over blood knights??

mainly because they come with magic weapons and a 1+ save standard and are 15 points cheaper than blood knights..

if blood knights didnt die from combat res everytime they charge i would've said them though.

What the heck are you charging them into that they die to combat res?

kramplarv
10-08-2009, 13:57
he fluffs his 20+ Ws5, S7 attacks :)

Chaos knights are the cheese knight. and black knights. CHEEEEEEEEEESE!

The Red Scourge
10-08-2009, 14:07
Wild Riders. Fast cavalry, magical attacks, ward saves, fear causing and ItP.

Chaos Knights. Lots of magical attacks, S4 horsies (and we all know that horses are the single most dangerous models in the game), highly customizable and fear causing.

Khorne Marauder horsemen. 2 S5 attacks and 2 S3 attacks, fast cavalry at around 20 points - that is blueest of cheese :cheese:

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 14:14
he fluffs his 20+ Ws5, S7 attacks :)

Chaos knights are the cheese knight. and black knights. CHEEEEEEEEEESE!

Seriously. I've seen them charge into 25 Ironbreakers in the front with +CR runic standards and still break them easily. I would be hesitant to go into Phoenix Guard, Black Guard or Sword Masters if they didn't have the regen banner but that's about it.

Nuada
10-08-2009, 14:22

Can i borrow your book? ...more expensive in mine :D :p

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 14:40
Silver Helms ... oh wait, that was last edition.

vinny t
10-08-2009, 14:45
Depends whay you're looking for...

The Juggernaut
5 Blood Knights with Banner of Blood Keep and standerd

The Cheaper Juggernaut
5 Chaos Knights of Khorne

The Glass Sludgehammer
5 Maurader Horsemen of Khorne with Flails

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 14:46
8 points for movement 9 and unit strength 2. dire wolves can ruin people's day.

danny-d-b
10-08-2009, 14:47
we talking light or heavy?

light- pistolires?
how dosen't like 10 S4 AP ranged attacks

heavy
nurgle knights with rage banner
tzzench knights with 5+ vs shooting banner
blood knights with regen banner and BSB with hatred banner

Urgat

yes you can get wrong, since they're 12 points each :p

willowdark
Cold One Knights.

Oh, wait! They're Stupid. Never mind. ;)

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 14:55
i used my dire wolves for something other than screening black knights for the first time last game.

i run one unit of 8 for 64 points (because i only have 8 figures), and they're absurdly great fast cavalry killers. most enemy fast cav is out of the range of character's leadership, so charging with fear-causing US 16 against a unit that will most likely hit on 6's is a nice recipe for autobreak.

i was hunting a mage and drew in some enemy fast cavalry trying to screen it. drove them both off the table in the same phase. and the wolves held on Ld 3!

Gazak Blacktoof
10-08-2009, 15:26
Brettonian knights of the realm, errant and obviously pegasus knights which as far as I'm concerned are still the biggest pains in the game.

For something non Brettonian I'd have to go with dark riders.

Troah
10-08-2009, 16:16
Brettonian knights of the realm, errant and obviously pegasus knights which as far as I'm concerned are still the biggest pains in the game.

For something non Brettonian I'd have to go with dark riders.

Hehe, pain for you when someone else besides me plays them. ^.^

Blood Knights would have to be the best in my opinion, which isn't right. Grails Knights should be the best.

snottlebocket
10-08-2009, 16:19
Chaos knights, those guys are so mean it doesn't even matter if they charge most of the time.

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 16:44
For the light cavalry category, I'd say Hobgoblins, since they can have both Light Armour and Shield without becoming heavy.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 16:45
don't you have to run them in units of 10+, though?

snottlebocket
10-08-2009, 16:47
For the light cavalry category, I'd say Hobgoblins, since they can have both Light Armour and Shield without becoming heavy.

That's their biggest drawback though. The save doesn't matter on light cavalry. What that rule actually does is prevent hobgoblins from forming ranked units, which lead by a bullcentaur hero could have been an excellent medium cavalry unit.

As it is hobgoblin cavalry ends up being a unit whose minimum choice is too large to play fast cav and whose armour rules prevent them from being usefull as ranked medium cav.

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 16:49
I don't play CDs, so I see them more in the context of mercenaries.

gorenut
10-08-2009, 17:19
Blood Knights for sure.. though the points go up very fast if you want them to survive. Though admittedly.. Chaos Knights are extremely attractive as well.. mainly because you have the option to keep them NOT frenzied. They seem to be more flexible.. and don't require as many other factors to help them.

Despite what a lot of people say.. I personally really like DE Cold One Knights and VC Black Knights. Both are very affordable and many times i take vanilla Cold One Knights, they perform very well without too much doodads added to em. VC Black Knights may require a little help in the form of a banner or a boost from Helm of Commandment though.

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 17:26
Even without help, Black Knights are fear causing Strength/Toughness 4, ItP, killing blow, 2+ save cavalry that has the added bonus of being able to go through trees. They are awesome.

Bretonnian Lord
10-08-2009, 17:30
Grail Knights.

I'm not biased at all. ;)

Scallat
10-08-2009, 17:31
Blood Knights with 4+ ward against shooting banner and BSB with Regen. Sure they're 700points for the unit but the only time I've ever seen them die is when they made a persuit move into a building.

gorenut
10-08-2009, 17:34
Even without help, Black Knights are fear causing Strength/Toughness 4, ItP, killing blow, 2+ save cavalry that has the added bonus of being able to go through trees. They are awesome.

True.. but my concern is their low WS. Having only half their attacks hit home (most the times) against regular infantry isn't ideal. Especially for cav that can crumble.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 17:40
naked black knights are 120 for five with a 3+ save. 140, i believe, for five with barding.

WS 3 really can hurt, and isn't it like 61 points to add a standard bearer and banner of the barrows to that unit? that doesn't strike me as worth it for +1 to hit...

Ixquic
10-08-2009, 18:00
WS3 isn't as big a deal anymore now that creep has been setting in and most stuff you care about is WS4 or higher. Compare that to Empire Inner Circle Knights that are +1 WS and +1 Armor but less toughness, not ItP without a character, don't cause fear, no KB, can't go through terrain and only cost 2 points less. Then you add in the fact that they can come back. A decent unit is expensive but that's how heavy cav is. Black Knights are a great value.

You also stick the hatred banner on Black Knights. Re-rollable 4+ is better than 3+ and you really are trying to break things in the first round of combat anyway.

Sylass
10-08-2009, 18:09
Blood Knights with 4+ ward against shooting banner and BSB with Regen. Sure they're 700points for the unit but the only time I've ever seen them die is when they made a persuit move into a building.
How does this work? :confused:

Is there some sort of insta-kill rule for mounted units moving into buildings?

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 18:10
good call on the hatred banner. i forgot about that one. i run 5 black knights naked with a dread knight vamp. so that's... 245 points, often with 64 points of dire wolf screen in a typically 1k or 1250 game. i should probably start giving them barding since the vamp already has it.

i feel compelled to put a vampire in there because i have the oldish mounted blood dragon model and because i'd have to spend something like 45 or 50 points for the banner that would allow the unit to march without one.

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 18:15
How does this work? :confused:

Is there some sort of insta-kill rule for mounted units moving into buildings?Not that I know of, unless they were fleeing.

Brother J
10-08-2009, 18:25
Blood Knights
Chaos Knights

Probably followed by Cold One Knights, at least from my experiences. Blood Knights can be quite nasty...Throw in a BSB as well and if they lose a single round of combat it's because you rolled nothing but ones.

Grey
10-08-2009, 18:30
I'd say Chaos Knights and Blood Knights hold both the first place.

Chaos Knights of Nurgle with the frenzy banner are just mean. WS3 enemies hit them on a 5 and they bring 15 WS5 S5 magical attacks with them.

Ozorik
10-08-2009, 18:37
There is no answer to this question, or rather there are many.

'Cavalry' means a great many things ranging from cheap screening units like chaos hounds, harassment units like pegasus knights or hideously powerful deathstars (blood knights) with lots of very viable troop types in between.

N810
10-08-2009, 18:41
Blood Knights
Chaos Knights

Probably followed by Cold One Knights, at least from my experiences. Blood Knights can be quite nasty...Throw in a BSB as well and if they lose a single round of combat it's because you rolled nothing but ones.

Well if your going to mention Cold one Knights,
I'm going to throw in Cold one Cavalry in the hat for a contender for 3rd place. :D

shure thay have the same stupid mounts, but cold blooded lizies pass theirs 85% of the time, also Saurus are a lot stronger & tougher than squish Elves.

willowdark
10-08-2009, 18:49
What the hell is Clavery? :)

But seriously, Co Cav have +1 toughness and the same save. How is that "a lot stronger and tougher."

Haven't seen them in 7th yet, are they still st4 with spears? That isn't much stronger than st6 w/ Hatred on the charge, though 2 attacks is always nice.

And what is Co Cav Ld? DE are Ld9, is that much worse than the cold blooded equivalent?

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 18:57
Saurus get to roll 3 Die for leadership tests.

N810
10-08-2009, 19:04
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat160007&prodId=prod820866
------------M WS BS S T W I A Ld
Saurus Cavalry 4 4 0 4 4 1 2 2 8

Cold Blooded; 5+ Scaly Skin; Cause Fear; Stupidity; Thick Skinned (<--armor save)
I think they get a +3 Armor save and +1 sT on the charge with the spear.

Dag
10-08-2009, 19:12
savage orc bigun boar boys with warboss+ironback boar and pigstikka, and banner of butchery.

will deal 15-20 casualties to pretty much any rank and file (besides regen+ward save plaguebearers)

willowdark
10-08-2009, 19:13
Saurus get to roll 3 Die for leadership tests.

I know that, it's the probability that I was struggling with. I've really no head for statistics.

Is cold blooded Ld8/9 really that much better than regular Ld9/10, statistically? I was genuinely asking. No sarcasm intended.

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 19:16
I couldn't answer that in statistical terms, but you don't see many LM players screw up leadership tests.

The SkaerKrow
10-08-2009, 19:22
I would posit that Dark Riders are the best Fast Cavalry in the game. Cheap enough to throw away, good enough to make a real difference, and they're Core.

N810
10-08-2009, 19:26
Coldblooded LD-8 is like regular LD-9.75
Re-rollable Coldblooded LD-8 is like LD-11
http://mysite.verizon.net/summarjd/mscl/WHFBstats.pdf <--- stat chart

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 19:43
Nifty chart.

willowdark
10-08-2009, 20:29
yes, very nice chart.

Urgat
10-08-2009, 20:31
Not that I know of, unless they were fleeing.

Undead. There's no other way for them to die than by being cleared out either from direct kills or by crumbling, afaik, so I have no idea what he's talking about...

N810
10-08-2009, 20:35
I think he is either taking about a frenzied charge into the side of a building (unit inside).
or pursuing a unit into the side of a building. :confused:

(not that he's right or anything)

Condottiere
10-08-2009, 20:40
You stop short about an inch before pursuing into impassable terrain.

Lord Inquisitor
10-08-2009, 20:40
I think Dark Riders might actually make the top of my list because they're so damn flexible.

Other than them, the Black Knights are worth far more than Blood Knights in my opinion. Not frenzied, can pack a serious punch plus killing blow and best of all can move through terrain. And they cost less and aren't rare and are just as tough as Blood Knights. They win hands down any day of the week.

But I will throw out the Seekers of Slaanesh. As far as speed goes, they win hands down and can block the enemy from standing and shooting.

GuyLeCheval
10-08-2009, 21:02
Easy Errant knights with the banner. No psychology on the charge, S6 and around 9 attacks on the charge. 1+/2+ AS. Blessing of the lady and always M8. They are just a pure win for 20 pts.

r3flexx
11-08-2009, 00:53
Well if were being real, the question is about which is the best and I'd say there would be a tie between chaos knights and blood knights for reasons said below. But if were considering everything, Blood Knights are Frenzied, are 55 points each, die by combat res and heavy shooting, and finally the biggest thing that impacts most people is the fact that they cost $90.

Pirate Jimm
11-08-2009, 01:44
Chaos Knights are far superior to Blood Knights, and every other heavy cavalry in the game. Apart from the above two, the only other unit of heavy cavalry worth mentioning is Grail Knights; lance formation, 16" charge and the blessing add up despite T3.

A comparison of Chaos Knights and Blood Knights:

5 Blood Knights
Full Command

5 Chaos Knights
Full Command
Mark of Nurgle, Banner of Rage

Blood Knights have +2 Str on Charge and are Undead.
Chaos have +1I, Ld, As, do not Crumble, do not lose their Frenzy and give thier opponents -1 Ws/Bs, so there's not a non-character unit in the game that hits them on 3's; Chaos Steeds have higher I. The Chaos Knights cost less points and are a special choice, not a rare. I know who my money's on.

orlanth1000
11-08-2009, 02:04
Well if were being real, the question is about which is the best and I'd say there would be a tie between chaos knights and blood knights for reasons said below. But if were considering everything, Blood Knights are Frenzied, are 55 points each, die by combat res and heavy shooting, and finally the biggest thing that impacts most people is the fact that they cost $90.

The biggest impact $90 call....brilliant:p. that did make me laugh out loud, hope you don't mind if I use that in similar threads.

Anyone that has played against a dark rider heavy force will tell they are pain in the a$#*.

perplexiti
11-08-2009, 02:10
As a Dwarf player the best cavalry is dead cavalry. But with my Lizardman hat on I've come to quite like the Cold One Riders, they're not the best but they're not too far off IMHO, good S4/5, 2A plus the S4 mounts oh and Fear as well.

Trample
11-08-2009, 04:27
Grail Knights!

They don't have quite the stat line that blood or chaos knights have, but they are WS5, S4, with 2 magical attacks, ItP, and a ward save. Most importantly however, is the lance formation. They can be highly effective in groups of 6 or 9. I field a unit of 8 with a damsel riding shotgun for a little MR.

TheSanityAssassin
11-08-2009, 06:00
Dark Riders, hands down to me as the best bang for buck in overall effectiveness.

Unless you're seeing lots of Tzeentch Daemons, in which case Dragon Princes become gold...though Chaos Knights will probably just ride through it any way.

WhiteKnight
11-08-2009, 07:51
Dragon princes would win this if they rode mini dragons but Phil Kelly is still not on my side (surprise suprise!)

vahouth
11-08-2009, 12:55
Chaos have +1I, Ld, As, do not Crumble

The blood knights can maintain their numbers by invocations though...;)

Also what do you guys think of bloodcrushers?

vinny t
11-08-2009, 14:58
Compared to flesh hounds, crap, but compared to other cav so-so. And Flesh Hounds would be a contender for best cav as well.

kaubin
11-08-2009, 15:04
I think Pegasus Knights have a fair chance of destroying any of those cavalry units. The flying gives them an edge on maneuverability, which means they can easily set up a flank charge by turn 2.

Draconian77
11-08-2009, 15:12
Not a single person mentions Empire Knights...that is unbelievable.

23pts, Core and a 1+ save!

3pts for +1S. (Moves them to special)

Banners for Immunity to Panic/Magic Resistence and a character in the book who can confer Hatred and beat a Bloodthirster at the same time!

For every unit of tooled up Chaos Knights or Blood Knights you could get 3 or 4 times as many Empire Knights! (And you actually can too...Core heavy cavalry is insane. :D)

the_picto
11-08-2009, 15:19
Chaos have +1I, Ld, As, do not Crumble, do not lose their Frenzy and give thier opponents -1 Ws/Bs, so there's not a non-character unit in the game that hits them on 3's; Chaos Steeds have higher I. The Chaos Knights cost less points and are a special choice, not a rare. I know who my money's on.

The better leadership is largely irrelevant and chaos knights may not crumble, but they do run away. Neither of them should be losing combat though. Plus the bloodknights can be healed.

Not a single person mentions Empire Knights...that is unbelievable.

23pts, Core and a 1+ save!

3pts for +1S. (Moves them to special)

Banners for Immunity to Panic/Magic Resistence and a character in the book who can confer Hatred and beat a Bloodthirster at the same time!

For every unit of tooled up Chaos Knights or Blood Knights you could get 3 or 4 times as many Empire Knights! (And you actually can too...Core heavy cavalry is insane. :D)

QFT! Empire knights are awesome.

FictionalCharacter
11-08-2009, 15:24
as a VC player who typically faces empire, i must say i'm very very glad i get black knights and my opponent gets empire knights.

i've found if empire knights can't break a unit with the charge they're essentially a 1+/2+ AS tarpit. black knights, on the other hand, have the chance to win CR and outnumber in subsequent phases, especially if their target failed their fear test and hit on 6's in the first phase.

plus black knights have killing blow, better movement, and higher strength, if i remember right. they can heal. they don't break. etc. etc. and aren't they only like 4 points more?

Draconian77
11-08-2009, 15:34
I think you could be missing the point though. An Empire player can easily bring 5-6 units of Knights if he wants to. Half of those could be S4 with Hatred(more than enough to break things on the charge if Cold One Knights are anything to go by?) and the rest used as flankers. (Shouldn't be hard to win combats in that way at all...)

In fact, that's the main point. With access to core heavy cavalry the odds of one or more unit being in a flanking position go up dramtically and unlike fast cavalry, most magic missiles and shooting won't touch them. To be honest, I find KB is just a small nuisence on BK, a 2+ armour save isn't all that great these days(Armour Piercing Crossbows indeed!) and not Breaking also means "Not having the option to Flee".

*Note though that my usual lists are normally geared to stopping Heavy Cavalry though. I could be viewing things through tinted glasses.

I just find multiple units of Empire Knights are much harder to deal with than regular hammer-Knights, they tend to act in the Fast Cavalry sort of role, but have an insane armour save backing them up.

FictionalCharacter
11-08-2009, 15:40
yeah i suppose having them as core makes a huge difference.

still, if anyone has the books or anything handy, they are only a handful of points cheaper than black knights, right?

that's why i made sure to add the 'i've found' disclaimer. the guy i normally play has yet to take more than one unit of them. the first game i played him his empire knights were defeated and chased down by, and i am not making this up, a unit of thunderers. granted, he made a mistake and i got a stand and shoot first...

mweaver
11-08-2009, 15:50
An interesting thread (and thanks for the link to that chart).

But a more focused question might be more useful, since some people are answering "What's the nastiest unit of cavalry you can build?" and others are answering "What's the best unit of cavalry for the points they cost?", which are two very different questions.

ashc
11-08-2009, 15:52
Heavy cavalry my money is probably on Chaos Knights, tough, killy, and customisable and a very reasonable price.

Fast cavalry is actually tougher competition. For their price I like Wolf Riders, but for all-round utility I loved Dark Riders.

The Blades of reason
11-08-2009, 15:54
wild widers

hit like heavy cav but are fast cav

Midevil216
11-08-2009, 15:57
Blood Knights. So far everything I get into a fight with is not usualy there the next turn or two.
Frenzie is the only "fault" they have, if you can call it that. It could get them into some trouble if your opponent knows what there doing.

willowdark
11-08-2009, 16:08
Frenzy has been around for a long time. Smart players know how to get around the drawbacks.

gorenut
11-08-2009, 16:33
The better leadership is largely irrelevant and chaos knights may not crumble, but they do run away. Neither of them should be losing combat though. Plus the bloodknights can be healed.

QFT! Empire knights are awesome.

Now if only they had better models... something similar to Kurt Helborg.

TexasWarhammer
11-08-2009, 17:17
What about Chaos Marauder Horsemen? You can put Flails on them and mark them with Khorne. That makes them frenzied. You end up with a unit of 5 having 10 S5 attacks and 10 S3 attacks in the first round of combat for 116 pts. They also have M8 which is helpful. They cant flee so you don't want to get charged but if you leave them back a little on the flanks so they can't be frenzy-baited without having to deal with your other units, they are awesome.

Draconian77
11-08-2009, 22:04
Another nice unit but I just don't think anything that fears 10 Crossbowmen could really claim the title of "best cavalry".

sulla
11-08-2009, 22:40
What the heck are you charging them into that they die to combat res?
Blood klnights? Usually forests, I'd imagine...:D

Heavy cavalry my money is probably on Chaos Knights, tough, killy, and customisable and a very reasonable price.

Fast cavalry is actually tougher competition. For their price I like Wolf Riders, but for all-round utility I loved Dark Riders.

Agreed about the chaos knights, but I'd say marauder horse for the customisability and horselords rule make the best fast cav.

willowdark
11-08-2009, 23:43
Another nice unit but I just don't think anything that fears 10 Crossbowmen could really claim the title of "best cavalry".

re-rolling panic checks goes a long way to mitigate that fear of Crossbows.

TBH, I was pretty surprised by how much Fast Cav has been mentioned in this thread, since I'd consider Heavy Cav to be a class of its own. But for customization and Will of Chaos, as well as the Horselord rule that sulla pointed out, I agree that Marauder Horse are really the best fast cav in the game.

Though Wild Riders have a lot going for them too.

Condottiere
12-08-2009, 06:10
Fast cavalry can become an important part of your strategy, assuming you have access to good ones and you know what you're doing.

DrMabutu
12-08-2009, 21:15
Bloodcrushers. Who doesn't love big daemonic brass rhinos.
Although Rhinox riders can bring the pain.

Vermin-thing
13-08-2009, 08:17
I'd say cold one riders, because they cause fear, have high toughness, can have spears (ftw), and have a 1+ armor save, all for 35 points. Now if you had an army of them... :) Also there clood blooded, and stubborn if you take the right things.

vahouth
13-08-2009, 19:14
I'd say cold one riders, because they cause fear, have high toughness, can have spears (ftw), and have a 1+ armor save, all for 35 points. Now if you had an army of them... :)

Black knights do all of that (except spears) + KB + Ethereal movement for 24pts ;)

Anyway though ... is there any cavalry unit besides Blood Knights that can strike with str7?

Lantern
13-08-2009, 22:26
My vote goes to Knights Errant with the Errantry banner......20 pts a model, Strength 6 on charge, immune to psychology that turn AND get the ward save.........all for 20 pts?

Brother J
14-08-2009, 05:49
Black knights do all of that (except spears) + KB + Ethereal movement for 24pts ;)

Anyway though ... is there any cavalry unit besides Blood Knights that can strike with str7?

Dragon Ogres? I don't know what bases they're on though, and you've got to give them great weapons. At 4 wounds a piece...I'd say it was well worth it.

Condottiere
14-08-2009, 06:55
Anything with Strength 7 is a serious threat, assuming it lives long enough to reach it's target.

Brother J
14-08-2009, 07:23
Unfortunately S5 doesn't benefit me too much unless I'm throwing it against very few units in my normal opponent's army. (His chariot, his hydra, and his CoKnights.)

Everything else I'm pretty much wounding on 2+ with anyways. FLAILS FOR THE WIN!!!!!

WLBjork
14-08-2009, 08:01
Dragon Ogres? I don't know what bases they're on though, and you've got to give them great weapons. At 4 wounds a piece...I'd say it was well worth it.

40mm Ogre Bases, so they aren't really Cavalry. Remember that Cavalry only gain +1S from Great Weapons (due to being mounted).

As ever the "best" unit is entirely circumstancial.

Charging a unit of TK Chariots? I'd be wanting Blood Knights - smash them with a hit apiece.

Engaging a deathstar of Chaos Chosen Warriors? I'd be looking for missile-armed light cavalry to shoot them from the flank/rear and reduce their numbers and mobility.

etc.

Azhrar
14-08-2009, 11:14
@ WLBjork.

Not sure If this is what you are saying, but dragon ogres do not count as being mounted, and therefor have S7.

Hadriel Caine
14-08-2009, 11:34
he was pointing out that they aren't cavalry so it seems his point was that they do get +2 strength but aren't really eligible for this discussion.

I'll let you know how my blood knights do today with a BSB...

mr_vespa
14-08-2009, 16:33
WoC Chaos Knights and VC Blood Knights take the lead for pure killiness (you get what you pay for :P), the essential differences being higher armour save and customization versus S7 charge and the Undead factor.

Although, I personally think Grail Knights should be able to compete with their two evil counterparts. Perhaps someday when Bretonnia gets its new armybook...

willowdark
14-08-2009, 17:17
All fear the day that Bretonnia joins the ranks of 7th ed.

Gazak Blacktoof
14-08-2009, 17:25
It's a worrying prospect isn't it...

Condottiere
14-08-2009, 17:31
It's a two dimensional army - either the Peasants get upgraded or the Knights do.

HellRaid
14-08-2009, 17:45
I've been fielding Blood Knights and Black Knights both in the same army recently - while the Black Knights will almost always pay for themselves, the Blood Knights are commonly destroyed (either due to unfortunate circumstances or because they attacked a character designed to kill them).

Whereas Blood Knights are expensive and nails, Black Knights are cheap and nails. They get my vote.

Although, I personally think Grail Knights should be able to compete with their two evil counterparts. Perhaps someday when Bretonnia gets its new armybook...

Didn't you hear? Grail Knights are getting a new rule which causes any enemy they touch to INSTA-KAPOWEXPLOSION.

Sambojin
14-08-2009, 18:11
Just for my 2c

Best heavies
1:Empire knights. Core, 1+ armour, cheap, do the job of really hard fast cav for the army or fairly light heavy cav depending on chars and upgrades.
2: Chaos Knights. Hard as nails, cheap, customizable. Like having an uber character in your special slots section.
3: Flesh Hounds. They hit hard, don't die, cause fear and have a ward. You pretty much won't see a daemon army without at least 1-2 units, even if it skews the armies fluff.
4: KoTR. What's not to like? 16" charge, rankability, ward save. Its a pity there's not much else in the army book that rocks this hard.
5: Volands Venators (or just DOW cav). ANY army can have a good heavy cav unit, with a cheap (0 slot)character. Not overpowered and kind of cool to make up a bit of your own background as the generals champion.

Fast Cav
1: Marauder Horse. Just because they're so customizable. Fast, hitty or medium block, they can fulfil any role. Core too.
2: Dark Riders. Really tied with the MHorse. Just SO good at what they do. High Ld, reliable attacks and can even shoot (to the point of making gunlines with them if you want).
3: Wolfriders. They're crap, but they're cheap and fast. You also get 10 to a box, and can use the models as warhounds or dire wolves. Bargain. Spiders are alright, but these are better at most things.
4: DOW light cav. Crappier than everyone else's cav, but ALL armies can get them. Good, just not great.

Best Light Stuff(not really cav, just animal things on 50x25)
1: Warhounds. So cheap its laughable. Reliably die at whatever you throw them at (this IS an advantage). Can customise (for absolutely no reason, or gain in usage).
2: Dire wolves. Sort of just a wound pocket or a frenzy/hate drawer. Useful, fast, just not as reliable at getting splatted as warhounds.
3: Harpies. These would be at #1, but they're not really cav, they're just light. 2 attack flyers, for 55 points, that don't cause panic and are core. Better than everyone else's light flyers, splatter magnificantly and run/die/pursue/crossfire/marchblock when they have to. Who the hell decided these things should be core is beyond me.....

wingedserpant
14-08-2009, 18:15
Wild Riders. Fast cavalry, magical attacks, ward saves, fear causing and ItP.

Chaos Knights. Lots of magical attacks, S4 horsies (and we all know that horses are the single most dangerous models in the game), highly customizable and fear causing.

Khorne Marauder horsemen. 2 S5 attacks and 2 S3 attacks, fast cavalry at around 20 points - that is blueest of cheese :cheese:

Khorne? Are you kidding? Give them slaanesh and they are umpteen times better.

Brother J
14-08-2009, 18:53
I have to agree with one thing from Scourge's post though...

The horses are the most amazing part of my army. When all else fails, the horses always come through!

mr_vespa
14-08-2009, 19:28
The horses are the most amazing part of my army. When all else fails, the horses always come through!

100% agreed. More often than not, I see knights flubbing their attack roles/defenders making an outrageous amount of 5+/6+ saves while their Str 3/4 horses go on a killing spree. Who ever said horses *only* ate grass? :D

Dungeon_Lawyer
14-08-2009, 20:05
All fear the day that Bretonnia joins the ranks of 7th ed.

yeah you aint kiddin on that one..although I think maybe they will be one of the early 8th edition books, would' cha think?

Dungeon_Lawyer
14-08-2009, 20:07
Orgre Rhinox Cav is devastating---DEVASTATING!!! Im surprised more people dont use them they turn an Ogre Kingdom army into a very competiative list...

gorenut
14-08-2009, 22:59
I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the rules aren't exactly written in the army book. While, I consider Rhinox cav to be completely legal in an OK book... others will disagree. Tourneys themselves will also vary from place to place.

Another factor is the fact that you gotta either buy the expensive Forgeworld models or convert your own.

I personally love em and have been tempted on several occasions to start OK and field them.