30 zombies 132pts
full command

30 zombies 132pts
full command

8 cairn wraiths 425pts
banshee

8 cairn wraiths 425pts
banshee

Is this army totalt useless or the next torny winning list (it's probably somewhere inbetween), i did use an army like this (1 less vamp and extra wraiths) against a core gamer last sunday and i totaly crushed him.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 15:52
it's incredibly incredibly situational. you're doomed if you meet anything with any kind of magic, but you may be able to catch a lot of all-comers lists off guard.

also, characters can't join ethereal units, if i remember right, in case you had planned on putting your lord in with wraiths.

nightshroud + wraith screen from shooting + helm of commandment for wraiths is a hell of an interesting idea.

personally i'm just not sure how comfortable i'd be holding the center with zombies. and banking on the wraiths and vampires killing enough to offset CR lost to zombie deaths is always a risk, especially when you're likely to be outnumbered. i would drop a couple wraiths from each unit and add some skeletons/ghouls at the very least. at least your opponent would have to put some thought into your infantry other than just plowing through them.

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 16:07
i know that if my opponent had any units with an item that gives them magical attacks i cannot touch it at all, and the lord is really vulnerable to magic shooting. but holding the center with zombies is a viable tactic, now before you start ripping into me about the fact that they are worse than horrors in combat, it is offset by the fact that you can raise D6+4 zombies with each casting of ivocation means i can raise back 3 turns of bad combat in a single magic phase, and that is from one wizard (i'll admit it was the lord but still).

g0ddy
10-08-2009, 16:08
The lord is etheral and is welcome to do so...

~ zilla

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 16:17
i know that if my opponent had any units with an item that gives them magical attacks i cannot touch it at all, and the lord is really vulnerable to magic shooting. but holding the center with zombies is a viable tactic, now before you start ripping into me about the fact that they are worse than horrors in combat, it is offset by the fact that you can raise D6+4 zombies with each casting of ivocation means i can raise back 3 turns of bad combat in a single magic phase, and that is from one wizard (i'll admit it was the lord but still).

i'm not ripping you at all. you just have to be very careful to guard against, say, taking a cavalry charge in the flank (let alone anything hitting you in the rear) of a zombie unit that would then probably suffer at least 5-8 casualties and lose its rank bonus. it's tough to guard against that if you need your wraith units to do the heavy lifting and can't necessarily watch your flanks too well.

one decent cavalry unit can knock out 15 zombies a turn by itself. just holding those three zombie units together might take, what, another 5-8 successful IoN casts per turn?

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 16:22
that assumes that i am just going to leave the units alone from turn 1 and that i am not going to be raising the units up to like 40-50 models a unit.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 17:18
that's true.

this list gets you, what, 8ish power dice hitting IoN on a 4+. i'm used to smaller games, so i don't even really know what the typical all-comers dd pool is at 2000 points... between 4 and 6? how easy would it be for an enemy unit of fast cav to get around back and rear charge you? that puts an end to the summoning.

plus i'd also try to find a way to get the black periapt in if you can. 15 points for what amounts to an extra power die is amazing.

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 17:29
i could swap out the nightshroud for the periapet and a biting blade. but that vamp was my answer to the fast cav problem seeing as he could get charged by a 5 man fast cav unit and be practicaly unscathed as he will strike first and has re-rolls to hit and will almost always wound on 2s or 3s.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 17:44
how do you deploy your wraiths?

i'd imagine you may be able to slap a terror test on fast cav trying to go around back in turn 1 without even needing a vampire with supernatural terror. although i doubt it's worth it to tailor your wraith's movement just to try and get within 6" of some random fast cavalry unit. also, isn't it hard to get in helm of command range for wraiths if that vampire's watching your back?

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 17:46
i would deploy them either on the flanks or on one side with the lord so i can sweep round and attack his flanks as he goes for the zombies.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 17:55
i almost wonder if you could protect your rear entirely with a unit or two of summoned zombies. which is where that extra black periapt pd comes in! medium/heavy cav would probably chew them up too quickly though, eh?

considering that wraiths are the only rare option i actually own (5 including banshee), i must say this thread is giving me some good ideas, so thank you.

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 17:58
that is a good point. and i could not put on the biting blade and get back the zombie i had to drop because i was 1 point over. :)

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 18:17
do you move the zombies up or make your enemy come to you?

if you're staying in your deploment zone and your zombie units are 9 or 10 deep, you won't have too big of a hole to plug in the back anyway.

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 18:33
i won't be moving them. in the battle i played as a test i deployed the zombies at a bottle neck and they had to fight them almost 1 unit at a time, and considering my +5 static res and the fact that no matter how many he killed he never got rid of that due to fact they never stay dead. i was then able to sweep into the flanks with the wraiths, needless to say they were all very much dead afterwards.

FictionalCharacter
10-08-2009, 18:42
sounds pretty solid to me. no reason that can't work well if you can dictate enemy movement to a degree. plus you can raise zombies and flank/rear charge to negate whatever rank bonus they get if you need to. or just raise zombies behind them to give them something to run into if/when they break. and you'll probably have enough dice to make sure you get it through.

plus wraiths with the helm of command are just brutal.

puppetmaster24
10-08-2009, 21:12
i have edited the changes into the list.

Cormorant
11-08-2009, 15:08
that assumes that i am just going to leave the units alone from turn 1 and that i am not going to be raising the units up to like 40-50 models a unit.

Well, that sounds like a plan, but you seem to need a little more magic punch if you plan on doing that much IoN raising. If you tarpit their unit with that, they are probably going to save their dispel dice/effects to make sure you dont replenish what they have already killed, and as FC pointed out, a good unit is going to kill an average of 8-10 a turn putting you at snake eye LD tests. So assume you lose about 5 more/turn and thats about a third of the unit.

puppetmaster24
11-08-2009, 17:43
i have seen people try to do that, but because of the fact that zombies get D6+4 means i can get pretty much all my losses in just 2-3 castings of IoN.

P.S undead don't take LD tests when they loose a combat.

FictionalCharacter
11-08-2009, 17:49
the only other thing i can see being an issue if you keep your back covered is that your enemy will mow through enough zombies to still win combats even after your wraiths get into the flanks, especially since wraiths don't negate rank bonuses.

Nathangonmad
11-08-2009, 22:42
Its a okay list, just I'd rather ghouls over zombies anyday of the week, but thats just me.

bullshiz20
12-08-2009, 01:56
are vamp counts good... or not necessarily "good", but fun to play? cause i was thinknig about playing them.

Maoriboy007
12-08-2009, 03:17
are vamp counts good... or not necessarily "good", but fun to play? cause i was thinknig about playing them.

VC are a very competitive army (although many of the recent army books have specific anti-vc builds)All the fun is really in the way you design your characters and rares. The core is pretty bland , the specials are pretty good, if standard fare (Heavy cavalry or Infantry depending on preference,apart from the oddity that are spirit host who are expensive but good against anything without magic).
You'll find you spend at least half of your points on characters and any rare and/or special units will take a good portion of the remainder.

Cormorant
14-08-2009, 01:53
i have seen people try to do that, but because of the fact that zombies get D6+4 means i can get pretty much all my losses in just 2-3 castings of IoN.

P.S undead don't take LD tests when they loose a combat.

Oops, my brain cross-rifted to the old rules. Sorry. LOL