PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Engineer Upgrade

Lantern
09-01-2006, 15:11
When you pay the extra points to add an engineer to dwarf artillery crew, does this merely upgrade one of the existing models in the same way as when you buy a unit champion, or does this give you an extra model, making 4 crew members in total?

lordokaos
09-01-2006, 15:44
"You may add an Engineer" is the first part of the listing. Add, not upgrade. I would say that the Engineer is an additional model, not a replacement.

Atrahasis
09-01-2006, 15:44
Is the wording "Upgrade one crew member to an Engineer for x points" or "Any war machine may be accompanied by an engineer for x points"?

EDIT -- Looks like its the former.

WanderingRogue
09-01-2006, 17:50
its like unit champions - buy the guy and then you upgrade him to an engineer = 3 crew.

and then give him a brace of pistols - "kerpow! take that nasty flying type dudes!"

Bran Dawri
09-01-2006, 17:56
Is the wording "Upgrade one crew member to an Engineer for x points" or "Any war machine may be accompanied by an engineer for x points"?

EDIT -- Looks like its the former.

The wording literally is "add an engineer for x points", not upgrade.

WLBjork
09-01-2006, 21:28
The Engineer is definitely an addition. With a Master Engineer, you now have a max crew size of 5 :D

T10
09-01-2006, 22:46
The Engineer is definitely an addition. With a Master Engineer, you now have a max crew size of 5 :D

And since they are not skirmishers they may even negate ranks!

Now to figure out how to get them to charge...

-T10

Borthcollective
10-01-2006, 14:01
Not only does it say that you can "add and engineer" it also gives you what they come equipped with and upgrade options. So yes, it's another model. Not that it hasn't already been established.

Festus
10-01-2006, 20:05
Hi

I had a read of the Dwarf book today.
If you want to make one machine a *true survior*, you can add an Engineer, a Master Engineer (both with a brace) and make it a defended obstacle.

Pretty hard to shift for anything short of a fully ranked unit...

Greetings
Festus

Bran Dawri
10-01-2006, 20:30
Or a great cannon that just blows away the machine and leaves the crew untouched. Happened to me yesterday!

Keller
10-01-2006, 23:18
Or a great cannon that just blows away the machine and leaves the crew untouched. Happened to me yesterday!

Thats my preffered way of dealing with war machines. These are my counter-artillery artillery! Those are my regular ones.

Avian
11-01-2006, 11:15
Considering that they are Stubborn, whether the enemy is ranked or not doesn't matter all that much, they will probably hold up most things (apart from undead units).

Bran Dawri
11-01-2006, 14:43
And ogre heroes with the Wallcrusher big name.

Griefbringer
11-01-2006, 22:19
If you want to make one machine a *true survior*, you can add an Engineer, a Master Engineer (both with a brace) and make it a defended obstacle.

Mightily expensive war machine that would become.

Mind it, with war machine it is not always necessary to rout them quickly - just keeping them tied up means they cannot shoot their big and nasty gun, and with numbers and overlapping they can be slowly ground to pieces.

Lantern
11-01-2006, 22:27
Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated, although now i need to buy extra models for the champion additions ( it think ill buy the old engineer models to draw a distinction between them master engineers).

Templar_Victorious
22-01-2008, 01:43
Is it just me that thinks it's odd that all the dwarf warmachines comes with 3 cre-members, and nowhere can you buy an actual engineer addition model(as opposed to upgrading one member)? The only stand alone engineer option to buy is the Master engineer. Which would require you to buy two Master engineers to fill up the addition.

Glimfeather
22-01-2008, 07:02
Is it just me that thinks it's odd that all the dwarf warmachines comes with 3 cre-members, and nowhere can you buy an actual engineer addition model(as opposed to upgrading one member)? The only stand alone engineer option to buy is the Master engineer. Which would require you to buy two Master engineers to fill up the addition.

Not true. I found two "Dwarf Engineer" blister packs at my local gaming store. They were the last that they had, but they were actually labeled as such. I think the metal tab that sticks into the slotabase actually read "Engineer" on it.

Probably not the easiest things to find, but they are out there.

And since I did not keep the cardboard backer, I have no reference to catalog numbers for them either. And since I've only been playing WHFB for about a year, I really have to reference point to give you for their relative "age".

Regards,

Chris

Templar_Victorious
22-01-2008, 12:10
What I am meaning is that in order to fill up the extra engineer AND the Master Engineer in the current miniatures range (sorry if I was a bit unclear about that), though som shops where they newer replace any models or sell out old stuff might contain them, but the current range from GW does require you to buy two master engineers. Just poking at the usual cheapiness from GW about such things.