PDA

View Full Version : Mounted WoC army 2k points

stiggie
11-08-2009, 10:24
right before i start this was a budget army but opinions and fixes are still desirable as i have never used WoC before..

Chaos lord
Enchanted Shield
Mark of Khorne
Beserker Sword
Golden eye of Tzeentch
Diabolic Splendour
Dragon

Lvl 2 Chaos Scorcerer
Tzeentch
Conjoined Humonoculus
Infernal Puppet

5x Marauder Horsemen
Light Armour
Flails
Standard Bearer
Slaneesh

5x Marauder Horsemen
Light Armour
Flails
Standard Bearer
Slaneesh

5x Marauder Horsemen
Light Armour
Flails
Standard Bearer
Slaneesh

5x Chaos Knights
Standard Bearer
Khorne

5x Chaos Knights
Standard Bearer
Khorne

5x Chaos Knights
Standard Bearer
Khorne

it all pretty much explains itself.. knights charging forwards with marauders catching flanks and rear attacks. dragon can pretty much handle itself but is used to get rear hits and kill with breath attacks.

im thinking of dropping all the items and mark on the Scorcerer and adding another scorcerer and 2x scrolls just for added Magic Defence as just one lvl2 scorcerer is too small for and real offence.

Perigrine
11-08-2009, 14:12
I myself am currently building a WoC cav army. From talking to others who play chaos the followign things you may want to consider.

1) Hounds! dont under estimate the value of hounds. They are cheap and a very good missle screen for everything else in your army. Id rather lose the cheap old hound sadvancing my horsemen and knights then the horsemen or knights. and for the cost of them they are invaluable

2) have you considered a sorcer lord? see #3

3) Your lord is a big big big investment points wise the dragon thrown in at thsi point level also takes away from deploying other units that will help you over all such as hounds.

Also our hero melee unit is usually tough enough to get the job done against most enemy heros/lords. If you want him to have lord like stats throw him a runesword which will make the only diff between the two is a wound and initiative. I was oringanally going ro run a big beefy lord then after some though i opted for a sorcerer lord and a exalted hero instead.

4) id consider dropping the standard off your horsemen and take a musician instead it will help more and also your if things go bad for the horsemen your opponent cant capture the standard for more vp's

5) your knights, id opt for a musican here again over standard bearer and maybe even a champ. If you like khorne for a mark great i like nurgle to make them a little hardier against incoming missle fire.

Again this is just some info ive gleaned from other veteran chaos players.

stiggie
11-08-2009, 14:47
awesome :D cheers for all of that.

sorry but i forgot to add that at my local GW they play on 4x4 tables and its mostly against Vamps, WoC or Wood Elves. (hence why im using a dragon, so easy to charge because enemy can barely move) also small base models like zombies/skeletons and most elves (i think?) give my chaos lord 10/11 attacks?? so if he gets swamped he wont be locked for long.

Being honest with you i havent read up fully on a scorcerer yet ill give it a try with a chaos lord first and then a scorcerer in an upcoming game afterwards and compare which i prefer.

i have a random preference over using combat against magic armies than magic as they have more points spent on low WS/D characters and even when i used my lizardmen which i had slann and EoTG's etc id still use a carnosaur against magic armies. random i know but it works for me lol

and yes i will do that with the marauder horsemen, i would like to keep the standards on the knights though, but i will put in musicians too for stability.

and i am going for a fast army that charges.. kills.. overrruns.. and thought that the extra attacks from khorne would help more than nurgle. also i will get 2 units of 5 dogs when i get the money as meat shields.

cheers :)

Pirate Jimm
11-08-2009, 23:15
Beserker Sword is models on foot only.

I think a dragon in a 2k game is a massive points sink and will just get cannoned/bolt thowered/magiked/poisoned etc.

The knights are going to be easily baited and led, without hounds to shield. Hounds are a neccessity.

Three dispel dice and no scrolls at 2k will give your opponent complete dominance of the magic phase.

Personally I prefer Nurgle Knights, as it gives them better protection vs shooting and makes them somewhat more controllable. You have plenty of high WS/S attacks as it is.

At the moment your opponent can dominate the shooting and magic phases, can bugger up your knights movement, which leaves you with some marauders who won't handle ranked units, and the massive, tastey target of a dragon. Any balanced, magic heavy or shooting heavy army will destroy you.

Lord Dralnu
12-08-2009, 01:10
Your sorcerer won't do anything, I'd drop him to level 1, no mark, give him 2 dispell scrolls and hide him behind a tree or something. Hopefully 2 scrolls and three dice will protect you enough from one to two turns of magic, I'm not sure as I'm pretty new to the game myself.

With the 60 points you get from this change buy 2x5 units of hounds to screen some of your knights. It's not much, but it's better than nothing.

bullshiz20
12-08-2009, 01:51
mounted armies are always great but hounds are needed!

stiggie
12-08-2009, 11:55
right ive just read all them comments, greatly appreciated.

i misread the "models on foot only" bit typical lol

how does "whip of subversion" work in a challenge?? although tbh that would seem risky..

ill ive lord chaos runesword

and drop everything on the chaos scorcerer and give him the two scrolls, there are no magic heavy armies at my store apart from VC but that dude focuses on resurrection and not moving so the 2 scrolls will help me get into combat in time

and i was looking for a way to put dogs in :) yeh ill buy a box of 10 today

and i know what you mean about the dragon, him and the lord is about 800 points?? but its fire with fire tbh, everybody at the store has a "god unit", (Greyseer with bell + fully equipped rat people, Slann & Chakax & Temple Guard, Ethereal Vampire lord with full unit of banshees) etc,etc

bullshiz20
12-08-2009, 19:33
nice list! mounts really help cause chaos is mostly based around close combat. check out my WoC list... http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214493