PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels Tank Name?

Petay1985
11-08-2009, 13:02
Ok i am trying to come up with a name for an individual tank, not the tank class, the class has been decided as Land Raider Executioner. The land raider in question is in service with the Dark Angels Chapter and has been so since before the Heresy.

Ideally i would like a suitably knightly / knights of the order style name, to give a throw back to Caliban in its glory / post heresy state. The current winners are:

1. Old Caliban
2. Lion's Glory
3. Remiel's Honour
4. Lion's Piety
5. Gideon's Rage

Any other suggestions are more than welcome :)

Further to this if folk want to know more about the Land Raider Executioner i am proposing to building please see the rules development thread here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214249

Urath
11-08-2009, 14:09
I like Remiel's honour, but he is technically one of the Fallen and I doubt that the Inner Circle would condone naming a Land Raider in his honour, even if they remembered him. I'm still sticking with "Wrath's Chariot" :p.

How about "Nemiel's Honour"? But, out of the list I picked Gideon's Rage, as there is a lot of "Lion's thisandthat", although it's still cool enough.

Dr. Hellbeast
11-08-2009, 14:16
Lion's Pride.

Petay1985
11-08-2009, 14:25
Lion's Pride.

A little bit of me just died fella!! you're just trying to hard now, they are turning into what i affectionatly know as 'dad-jokes'

Dr. Hellbeast
11-08-2009, 14:30
A little bit of me just died fella!! you're just trying to hard now, they are turning into what i affectionatly know as 'dad-jokes'

Now, that hurt.

I wasn't joking this time. :cries::cries::cries:

pookie
11-08-2009, 15:58
Lions Wrath, im thinking that some SM vehicles do get the name of the Primarch, especially if they have some asociation with said primarch, such as the oldest Rhino with is called Vulkans ( something or other ) which was said to have Transported Vulkan into battle.

**edit**

i was wrong - its called Nocturnes Hammer.

so....

something with Caliban in the title would be appropriate.

Inquisitor S.
11-08-2009, 16:20
like Remiel's honour, but he is technically one of the Fallen and I doubt that the Inner Circle would condone naming a Land Raider in his honour, even if they remembered him.

-->
Dark Angels Pre-Heresy Land Raider Name

No problem obviously.

Petay1985
11-08-2009, 16:22
-->

No problem obviously.

to clarify the tank dates back to pre-heresy although is in use in a current dark angels force, thus the point stands i guess, they would probably have renamed the tank if it was named after one of the fallen.

Inquisitor S.
11-08-2009, 16:24
In that case a look through the Imperial Armour book about SM should provide you with some additional ideas I guess.

Petay1985
11-08-2009, 16:28
In that case a look through the Imperial Armour book about SM should provide you with some additional ideas I guess.

Sadly i don't own Imperial Armour 2, i have had a flick through Imperial Armour's 3,4,5 & 6 and the How to Paint, Tanks / Space marines / Citidel Minatures
Plus various codexes but nothing is encouraging my imagination.

Thanks though fella.

Dr. Hellbeast
11-08-2009, 16:31
Sadly i don't own Imperial Armour 2, i have had a flock through Imperial Armour's 3,4,5 & 6 and the How to Paint, Tanks / Space marines / Citidel Minatures
Plus various codexes but nothing is encouraging my imagination.

Thanks though fella.

Have you thought about flicking through a Bible?

BigBadBull
11-08-2009, 16:36
Lions Roar!

The Pride of Belial

Azreial's Wrath!

Light in the Darkness

genestealer_baldric
11-08-2009, 16:47
The wrath of the emo`s??

no seroiusly i like old caliban as a name if its an acient rare chassis design

Petay1985
11-08-2009, 21:01
Thanks for all the input folks, i would be interested to see if anyone could come up with a name more befitting the old knightly orders from calliban - my name suggestions are severly lacking imagination so far.

Culven
11-08-2009, 21:14
I have a few issues with the suggested names, so I will not choose any.

If this is a Pre-Heresy tank, it would probably carry the name it was given at the time. This name would now be amonst the most honoured of the chapter, having served in the forces led by Lion El Johnson. At the time it was named, those serving in the forces of the Dark Angels most likely wouldn't have had the honour of having a vehicle named after them (unless it was Johnson's command Land Raider), so there wouldn't be an issue with it being named after someone who would later turn traitor. Also, it wouldn't be named after someone who joined the Dark Angels after the Heresy (I think Belial isn't old enough). So, I would think that the name should be something fitting for a Land Raider at the time it was commissioned. Also, I would think that the superstiion associated with renaming ships (in our world) would be appropriate for something like a venerated Land Raider. So, I would avoid any fluff about renaming unless one is doing a traitor force.

I find double entendre and irony useful in naming SM tanks. I'm assuming the Land Raider Executioner is a Plasma variant. So, perhaps something about light would be appropriate. I'm thinking Glory of Caliban, Lightbringer, Emperor's Light or something similar would be appropriate. Old Caliban would only be appropriate as a nickname if the Land Raider had "Caliban" in its official name, but even then, it may be considered disrespectful for such an ancient machine spirit.

Dr. Hellbeast
11-08-2009, 23:38
I find double entendre and irony useful in naming SM tanks. I'm assuming the Land Raider Executioner is a Plasma variant. So, perhaps something about light would be appropriate. I'm thinking Glory of Caliban, Lightbringer, Emperor's Light or something similar would be appropriate. Old Caliban would only be appropriate as a nickname if the Land Raider had "Caliban" in its official name, but even then, it may be considered disrespectful for such an ancient machine spirit.

Building on one of those; i 've always considered The Emperor's Divine Light as quite a sweet name for a tank. Thought of calling my Baneblade that.

Dr. Hellbeast
11-08-2009, 23:39

Building on one of those; I've always considered The Emperor's Divine Light as quite a sweet name for a tank. Thought of calling my Baneblade that.

Mega Nutz
11-08-2009, 23:46
how about 'The spirit of Caliban' or 'Caliban's wrath' or the 'Wrath of Caliban'

Culven
11-08-2009, 23:48
how about 'The spirit of Caliban' or 'Caliban's wrath' or the 'Wrath of Caliban'
I like the irony in "The Spirit of Caliban". :D

Petay1985
12-08-2009, 11:01
I have a few issues with the suggested names, so I will not choose any.

If this is a Pre-Heresy tank, it would probably carry the name it was given at the time. This name would now be amonst the most honoured of the chapter, having served in the forces led by Lion El Johnson. At the time it was named, those serving in the forces of the Dark Angels most likely wouldn't have had the honour of having a vehicle named after them (unless it was Johnson's command Land Raider), so there wouldn't be an issue with it being named after someone who would later turn traitor. Also, it wouldn't be named after someone who joined the Dark Angels after the Heresy (I think Belial isn't old enough). So, I would think that the name should be something fitting for a Land Raider at the time it was commissioned. Also, I would think that the superstiion associated with renaming ships (in our world) would be appropriate for something like a venerated Land Raider. So, I would avoid any fluff about renaming unless one is doing a traitor force.

Firstly i would like to thank you for taking the time to give such a comprehensive reply with educated conclusions, with which i agree with most. It is sincerely appriciated :)

Building on one of those; i 've always considered The Emperor's Divine Light as quite a sweet name for a tank. Thought of calling my Baneblade that.

More fantastic suggestions, all of which are suitable for said tank, i do however like the ideas set out in Culven's principles of following a theme of light and avoiding naming in honour of heros other than primarchs or the emperor.

I have had an idea that the name could perhapse be in latin, giving a further feel of antiquity. Thus taking that approach i have looked up (crudly) the latin of the following name suggestions:

Emperor's Light - Imperator Lux lucis
Emperor's Wrath - Imperator Palma
Emperor's Divine Light - Imperator Divinus Lux lucis

Lion's Light - Leo Lux lucis
Lion's Wrath - Leo Palma

Light Bringer - Lux Leo Addo

I am not set that the name should be translated into latin, what do people think about these names? would you have them in Latin? I think that my current preference is towards Emperor's Light but in the latin variation: Imperator Lux Lucis.

Thanks for all your input so far ladies and gentleman, muchly appriciated :)

BaronDG
12-08-2009, 11:12
I'd go for "Lions rage". It just rolls of the tounge...

Mega Nutz
12-08-2009, 16:35
I'd steer clear of using the Latin version of Lion's Wrath, sounds to much like a dodgy footballer!

Petay1985
13-08-2009, 09:35
I'd go for "Lions rage". It just rolls of the tounge...

Agreed it doesn't sound bad, want some thing a little less obvious though, i think i am going to avoid referencing people in the name! i think!! lol

I'd steer clear of using the Latin version of Lion's Wrath, sounds to much like a dodgy footballer!

Agreed, i had a similar thought when i translated it!

My current favourite is: Divinus Lux lucis (Divine Light - thanks Dr Hellbeast for the inspiration + note how i didin't directly steal your name suggestion :) )

What do people think?

BaronDG
13-08-2009, 09:48
Lux is feminine so it should be "divina" and I fail to see the reson for "lucis" which is the genetivus of Lux.

"Lux divina" is also a good and proper name.

Lion's rage would be "Ira leonis" and would also work, I guess...

Dr. Hellbeast
13-08-2009, 09:50
My current favourite is: Divinus Lux lucis (Divine Light - thanks Dr Hellbeast for the inspiration + note how i didin't directly steal your name suggestion :) )

What do people think?

Glad you clarified. I was getting twitchy there. I'll call my lawyers and get them to stand down.

Petay1985
13-08-2009, 09:55
Lux is feminine so it should be "divina" and I fail to see the reson for "lucis" which is the genetivus of Lux.

"Lux divina" is also a good and proper name.

Lion's rage would be "Ira leonis" and would also work, I guess...

Thanks for correction fella, i'm no linguist, let alone in past language - was doing my translations mostly from memory (haven't studied latin for almost 10 years).

I do quite like Ira Leonis! - do you have any more good latin names that'd be suitable, i'm starting to doubt my own translation ability now, lol :)

Steel Legion for Life
13-08-2009, 13:05
I still like "Old Caliban".

A friend has latin on the scrolls on his marine tanks (I do the translation for him), but paints graffiti scrawl on the sides too - so you could be Imperator Lumen (Imperator Lux Lucis is more like "emperor's table lamp", as it's possessive:) ) and still have the marines know the tank as "Old Caliban".

Lt.DustyMillar
13-08-2009, 14:50
lion's glory, as its a pre heresy its speaking of future victory and thus looking forward. rather than the others which all seem to be retrospective and about the past.

Petay1985
13-08-2009, 15:00
lion's glory, as its a pre heresy its speaking of future victory and thus looking forward. rather than the others which all seem to be retrospective and about the past.

Good thinking fella, that hadn't occured to me!

@ 'steel legion for life' - What would the latin of "Lion's Glory' be in latin? would i be right in thinking its:

palma Leonis or laus leoins?

Steel Legion for Life
13-08-2009, 15:08
Gloria Leo, would be where i'd put it.

Culven
13-08-2009, 16:10
I like Gloria Leo. However, I would probably go with the corrupted Latin known as High Gothic, and try "Glorium Leo". Something about a little used female name that bothers me when on 40K vehicles.

Also, I would argue against anything that refers to god or divinity in relation to the Emperor. At the time, he was a noble man and Emperor of humanity, but still a man. The Space Marines saw him as such. It was the peasants, who were awestruck by the Space Marines, who started to venerate the Emperor. Over the millenia, this veneration has changed into a religion, and the Emperor has become god-like.

Zoring
13-08-2009, 17:14
Lions Glory sounds a bit too penisy to me, go for Gideons Rage

Petay1985
13-08-2009, 17:22
Gloria Leo, would be where i'd put it.

Thanks fella, my latin is fairly rusty!!

I like Gloria Leo. However, I would probably go with the corrupted Latin known as High Gothic, and try "Glorium Leo". Something about a little used female name that bothers me when on 40K vehicles.

Also, I would argue against anything that refers to god or divinity in relation to the Emperor. At the time, he was a noble man and Emperor of humanity, but still a man. The Space Marines saw him as such. It was the peasants, who were awestruck by the Space Marines, who started to venerate the Emperor. Over the millenia, this veneration has changed into a religion, and the Emperor has become god-like.

I competely follow your logic and i agree that the High Gothic twist makes the name more suited to the 40k universe. Glorium Leo does sound rather fitting, i think we may have a winner!!

Lions Glory sounds a bit too penisy to me, go for Gideons Rage

I have dismissed this based on previous logic given by 'Culven' regarding the avoiding the naming of a hero in early times where heroes were not yet widely recognised, plus if i remember correctly Gideon was the most recent late Master of the Ravenwing and thus far too new a character in the 40k timeline for a pre-heresy land raider.

Thanks for your input folks, muchly appriciated as always :)

BaronDG
13-08-2009, 17:33
How about Leo Glorificandus; that lion that is to be glorified?

Condottiere
13-08-2009, 17:43
How about Seraphic Retribution?

JBIRD
13-08-2009, 17:44
This is a great thread...I really enjoy Petay's effort in naming his armor.

I hope you find the one that best suits your fluff.

Please let us know what you decide upon, I am sure alot of us would appreciate it.

xerxeshavelock
13-08-2009, 20:05
Bearing in mind it's an Executioner class, how about an executioner-based name, like Judgement Comes etc.

Or you could be slightly cheesy and do what GW does - research an historical executioner and corrupt the name. Whats good enough for the Primarch...

Petay1985
13-08-2009, 20:09
Ok ladies and gentlemen i have almost come to a decision :) In the interests of getting a name for the tank and having the right sound and 'feel' to the name i have taken some liberties in bastardising the words into a twisted form of 'high gothic'. This way its definitely something i like, thus with out further a do i need help deciding between the following two proposed names:

1. Ira Leonis - Lion's Wrath

or

2. Glorium Leonis - Lion's Glory

Thanks again everyone for your input so far :)

Shas'o Brightsword
13-08-2009, 20:36
Lion's Pride.

thats what my tanks name is!

Hrw-Amen
13-08-2009, 20:43
If you really want something from the old Caliban days, why not go for 'The Beast of Caliban.' Or alternatively simply 'The Watcher,' or even just 'Watcher,' or 'Beast.'

Lt.DustyMillar
13-08-2009, 22:12
i like the second option Glorium Leonis, really does sound like it is a tank named to honour future glories of the Lion, whilst also honouring the glories that he made getting Caliban to the point of the Emperor's arrival.

Also the first option is negative, and the great cruisade is all about hope and moving forward.

Culven
13-08-2009, 22:33
I also like the second option (Glorium Leonis).

Fire Harte
13-08-2009, 22:38
Gideon's Rage purely because my first name is actually Gideon. :D

Petay1985
14-08-2009, 09:17
Ok folks i have come to a decision on the tank naming front! I would firstly like to thank everyone for their input, but especially the following people in no particular order: 'Culven', 'BaronDG', 'Dr.Hellbeast', 'Lt.DustyMillar' and 'Steel Legion For Life' your input has been particularly helpful and i sincerely thank you for taking the time to help :) So the name i have decided upon is....

Glorium Leonis

If people want to see more about the tank in question the rules development for the Land Raider Executioner can be found here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3853479#post3853479
And my project log in which this ancient relic will be built can be found here:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3858579#post3858579

Thanks again folks :)

Dr. Hellbeast
14-08-2009, 10:19
Gideon's Rage purely because my first name is actually Gideon. :D

Are you also filled with rage? ;)