PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen Colour Schemes

Gav2k
11-08-2009, 14:43
So I'm finally going to get round to painting my 1k+ Lizardmen force, which is very Saurus heavy.

I don't like painting default colourschemes - the Blue skin/scales of the Lizardmen for example.
I was trying to think up some cool colourschemes and I figured I'd ask here seeing as there is a healthy following of Lizardmen players.

My main thought was of the quick-painted Tyranid force in one of the rulebooks... Black undercoat with some minor yellow/bleachedbone highlighting and shading...
I figured I could do this with my Saurus, only with a more venomous Green, like Scorpion/Goblin Green, instead of yellow.

Any thoughts? I'd be interested to hear other people ideas for the scaly beast's colours.

Malorian
11-08-2009, 14:49
My main thought was of the quick-painted Tyranid force in one of the rulebooks... Black undercoat with some minor yellow/bleachedbone highlighting and shading...

I've done my pretty much opposite. Yellow all over and then black for the main scales on their back.

Looks pretty good :)

Gav2k
11-08-2009, 14:55
I've done my pretty much opposite. Yellow all over and then black for the main scales on their back.

Looks pretty good :)

Sounds like a kind of Desert-Lizard scheme... I was thinking of that, too, but I'm not so hot with light/"fadey" colours, so it'd look like their skin was made of rags rather than hard-as-steel scales.

....... Steel-Lizzies? Black skin with silver scales? Could be as if they augmented their scales with magic/smithing to make themselves more durable.
Could look really tacky, mind you.

vinny t
11-08-2009, 14:57
Lava lizards, with red scales and black skin. Then black wash the scales.

puppetmaster24
11-08-2009, 15:01
metal scales is always a taky look for some reason, but i agree with vinny t, red lizards would look really good. i would recommend looking at real world lizards such as the hela monster.

Col. Dash
11-08-2009, 15:43
Did the few I actually finished in Orange skin tones with dark gray scales. Came out looking really good, I just wasnt into the models enough to be motivated to paint an army of them.

Midevil216
11-08-2009, 15:52
Get a book on lizards from the library, or look them up online, to see how real lizards look.
Good for some inspiration.
There are some pretty wild looking ones out there.

hardygun
11-08-2009, 15:54
I went with various shades of grey for the skin and various shades of blue for the scales. I haven't actually painted any of my Saurus yet, but I have done both Skinks and Kroxigors in this scheme and they've turned out pretty good.

N810
11-08-2009, 16:47
Any contrasting colors will look good.

Red-Green
Orange-Blue
Yellow-Purple

or you could go with all warm or cool colors.
RedOrangeYellow or GreenBluePurple

also any color will go well with black.
or you could paint them white and use the new washes for an east scheme.

also if you are motovated you can try doing paterns or paint the crest different colors.

or you could go with a more muted naturalistic brown grey black white type scheme.

Guardian_A
11-08-2009, 16:58
I know that 7th edition dosnt support the Sacred Spawnings the way earlier iditions did, but they still make a great excuse to give your army some nice visual veriety. Here's a link to the information for anyone who might be interested:

http://battlereporter.freeforums.org/lizardmen-sacred-spawnings-t803.html

Orcboy_Phil
11-08-2009, 19:45
I painted a quick Sarus today. From a white undercoat, Mecharite red scales, Dwarf Bronze metal, Devlen mud the entire model. Looks rather nifty.

Tokamak
11-08-2009, 21:09
Skin:
White undercoat
Sunburst yellow basecoat
Sepia Wash
Suburst yellow / Skullwhite highlight.

Scales:
Necron Abyss basecoat
Necron Abyyss/ skullwhite highlight.
???
Profit!

For scouting skinks I use different scales:

Skullwhite basecoat
Devlan mud wash
Skullwhite highlight.

I really should get some pictures up, they look terrific for the little effort spent on them.

Orcboy_Phil
11-08-2009, 22:55
They do sound awesome. Pics please :)

N810
11-08-2009, 23:07
I find Poison Dart frogs pretty inspirational :D
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/dartfrog.htm
http://www.wildernessclassroom.com/www/schoolhouse/rainforest_library/animal_library/poison_frog.htm

Gav2k
11-08-2009, 23:23
This:
http://www.wildernessclassroom.com/www/schoolhouse/rainforest_library/animal_images/poison_frog3.jpg

And this:
http://www.wildernessclassroom.com/www/schoolhouse/rainforest_library/animal_images/poison_frog4.jpg

Are awesome and I can see Saurus being painted in this way.
Get some pics up, Toka! I'm interested to see what you've come up with - with my eyes rather than my imagination.

Wacko Ricki
11-08-2009, 23:36
If you want some vibrant, trippy Lizardmen, go for Warlock Purple and Sunburst Yellow scales.

As I said, trippy.

Dragune
12-08-2009, 00:10
I personally use the green and red combo. I also use a devlin mud (or whatever its called) for the wash on the scales and it turns out pretty cool. Looks very reptilian.

N810 has good suggestions on color schemes and I'd probably use one of those if I were you. just my 2 cents.

N810
12-08-2009, 00:43
Also check our snakes, salamander, iguanas, and chameleons for inspiration. ;)

WarmbloodedLizard
12-08-2009, 01:15
just my opionon, but:
stay away from red color schemes! they all look relatively ugly unless they are really well done. there are so many ugly red lizardmen armies. (if you wanna go something like green/red, make green the major color, not red. also don't take a dark red but a brighter or lighter red. also the more orange it is the better :D)

as a suggestion: blue back and orange belly looks real nice.

If you wanna avoid ugly color combinations, just mix white into the colors. this way you can combine almost any two colors and it won't look too bad. ^^

12-08-2009, 03:44
IVe always wanted to do a lizardman army in a ritculated Gila monster color mostly black with light yellow or pink spots of color. I always thought they looked cool....then again I live in the S.W. US and they are in the area

Necromancy Black
12-08-2009, 09:44
Have you looked at some of the painting journals on this site for some ideas?

Could be something as simple as my green lizards -> http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188139

So something much more details, have a look through, there should be any number of options there.

maze ironheart
12-08-2009, 09:52
I aggree as the blue nearly everyone uses thats why I changed to a red colour scheme thanks to Ironduke.

Charistoph
12-08-2009, 18:56
IVe always wanted to do a lizardman army in a ritculated Gila monster color mostly black with light yellow or pink spots of color. I always thought they looked cool....then again I live in the S.W. US and they are in the area

Same, the lizard itself is quite impressive.

I even went with the fluff idea that it was based on the northern border where the jungle fades out and becomes more desrt. because, they were so remote, they usually did not have a Slann around, so were very combat oriented.