PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdom 1000pts

warpscum
11-08-2009, 15:09
I am just starting an Ogre Kingdom army, and I have run into some problems with spending those few points on the right guys. I didn't want to start too big and I am planning to get togeather a complete 1k army, and expandidng it later.

I need some help to get the points to go where they do most good. You see the list I was thinking of going with below, but I suspect it might be a little charachter heavy for 1k.
Should I maybe ditch the Butcher, the Bullgut and maybe something more to get 5-6 Bulls more, or maybe a few Leadbelchers to guard the flanks? Maybe get a Standard for the Bulls I got? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

And also, the obvious lack of Gnoblars is deliberate. I really dislike them. I know that they are like the only way to get rank bonus with OK, but I was thinking I should try without them.

--- Ogre Kingdom 1000pts [2nd Update] ---
Brusier: 164
Equipment: Heavy Armour, Siegebreaker

Butcher: 130
Equipment:
---
3 Bulls: 127
Equipment: Additional Handweapon, Bellower

3 Bulls: 127
Equipment: Additional Handweapon, Bellower

5 Ironguts: 310
Equipment: Bellower, Standard Bearer, War Banner, Look-Out Gnoblar

8 Gnoblar Trappers: 48pts
Equipment:
---
Gorger: 75
Equipment:
---
Total: 981

Jind_Singh
11-08-2009, 15:40
I am just starting an Ogre Kingdom army, and I have run into some problems with spending those few points on the right guys. I didn't want to start too big and I am planning to get togeather a complete 1k army, and expandidng it later.

I need some help to get the points to go where they do most good. You see the list I was thinking of going with below, but I suspect it might be a little charachter heavy for 1k.
Should I maybe ditch the Butcher, the Bullgut and maybe something more to get 5-6 Bulls more, or maybe a few Leadbelchers to guard the flanks? Maybe get a Standard for the Bulls I got? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

And also, the obvious lack of Gnoblars is deliberate. I really dislike them. I know that they are like the only way to get rank bonus with OK, but I was thinking I should try without them.
---
1 x Brusier: 172
heavy armour, great weapon, bullgut
no problems here, he's hard as nails - but you could go for seige breaker to give him str 3, hitting against INI. Bull gut is only useful if you intend to hit him in the flanks on his own - but really as he'll be in another unit you might end up not using the bull gut - so either give another upgrade to him or use it to get the butcher a dispell scroll as opposed to WS

1 x Butcher: 130
---
6 x Bulls: 250
ironfists, standard, champion
noooooo! 6 bulls is 3 too many for a unit. IF you play them six wide thats way too wide. You will never wheel them to do jack all - they are too wide. If you play them 3 by 2 then you just wasted 3 bulls to get a measly plus 1 str on bull charge! you play these boys in 2 units of 3, each unit has bellower. At 1000pts drop ironfists also and keep them naked. now you got 2 units, each as 9 attacks as opposed to 1 unit with 9 attaks. Now you have tactical options for the buggers.

5 x Ironguts: 315
champion, standard, war banner
grab a bellower - these boys are prone to running from panic. add a look-out gnoblar to the standard to protect your characters in the unit - its only 5pts
---
1 x Gorger: 75
up to you - all the rare choices are lovely for OK, cant go wrong with the giant, maneaters, gorgers - with gorger you get a sneaky unit so stick with it
---

Total: 972

With OK you just need lots of units running around the board - never get super big chunky units! Iron Guts are our key stone so use them well!

Catferret
11-08-2009, 15:42
I know you hate Gnoblars but Trappers are definitely useful. They are scouting skirmishers and can be handy for slowing the enemy and generally getting in the way. Heck, mine have even killed Lion Chariots and Caradryan with his unit of Phoenix Guard. Don't underestimate their massed dice rolling for missile fire.

I'd split the Bulls into 2 units with a musician in each and no other command. They will be used for bating, flank charges, etc.

Drop the champ from the Ironguts too, he's not worth 1 extra attack and ogre characters (even butchers) aren't too shabby in fights if your opponent challenges you. Getting a lookout gnoblar on the Irongut standard should keep an attached character reasonably safe from any cannons you may face until the unit can reach combat.

The points saved plus your remaining 28 from your list should buy you some items for the Butcher. I like Skullmantle and Siegebreaker or Bangstick and Dispel Scroll personally.

Which units are the characters going in?

warpscum
11-08-2009, 17:06
I have updated the list a bit.

Jind_Singh: I see what you mean by that too large units talk. I try with 2 3 model units instead.

Carferret: Actually, Trappers are great. It's just those rank 'n file gnoblars I try to avoid. The Brusier are going in the Irongut Unit and the Butcher I haven't decided a unit for.

Yeah, I like the Gorger. Random Arrive, Unbreakable and perfectly avesome. ;)

How does it look now?

BossBadBad
11-08-2009, 17:19
Finally, another person who wants to play an OK army! (Ha ha, get it, OK, "okay"? Yeah, I don't get it either...)

You can drop the snarefinger and make the Gnoblars an 8-gnoblar strong unit. (Spending extra points on Gnoblar's is a bad idea.)

You could drop the Ironfist's from the unit of Bull's, with those points you can give your Bruiser a Wyrdstone necklace, OR give your bruiser a luck gnoblar, and your butcher a bangstick.

warpscum
11-08-2009, 19:10
You can drop the snarefinger and make the Gnoblars an 8-gnoblar strong unit. (Spending extra points on Gnoblar's is a bad idea.)

You could drop the Ironfist's from the unit of Bull's, with those points you can give your Bruiser a Wyrdstone necklace, OR give your bruiser a luck gnoblar, and your butcher a bangstick.

You might be right about the Trappers. I suppose they are mostly for march preventing and harassing people before they get killed off or flees.

I would think that the ironfists are quite good. I suppose I could downgrade to AH, but Ironfists is such a signature weapon ;) Also, if the ogre units are as small as 3 models, isn't it better to have them unleash a "thunderous" charge with 3 Impact Hits, 12 Attack and hoping to break the enemy due to overwhelming casulties and fear? Even as I am wrigting this I'm startingto realize; that's nog going to happen.

The Wyrdstone Necklace really seems to be quite bad. Only Ward 5+ and risking of loosing a would doesen't seem to be the greatest piece of gear. But then again, ogres don't have especially much descent protection gear. But is it really worth it?

Jind_Singh
11-08-2009, 19:23
my other army is daemons of chaos and let me tell you that 5+ ward saves are bloody amazing!
you can take a luck gnoblar that allows you to re-roll the ward save once a game to increase the odds.
what if the character tries catching a great cannon ball with his head? D6 wounds wounding on 2's...no armour saves allowed.....come ward save!
And you can always try to regain their wounds with spells hopefully!
Ironfists look bloody great - and sound great as well - 1 attack OR armour save 6+....
But lets look at it this way - without spending tons of points to get expensive light armour at best you get a 6+ save in close combat - but only 3 attacks each.
or you use it as an additional weapon so you get 4 attacks each - but you wasted points as you could have gone with cheaper equipment that does the same!
Model them with ironfists - and say they are additional hand weapons - as I agree 4 attacks is pure lovely!
And theres nothing wrong with your thinking - 12 attacks - so 6 hits, from which 4 should wound, of which 3-4 will kill.

In additon you kill another 1-2 from impact hits for a total of 4-6 dead - either tie or win to ogres!
You rarely autobreak the other guy as you wont out number them but combine your charges with other units and you soon will be!
Ogres need the closest support than any other army in fanatasy to work well - on their own they dont cut it.
Buit look on the bright side - they look amazing and I love reading their army book!

Catferret
11-08-2009, 19:32
The Wyrdstone amulet is pretty lame to be honest. I use it a lot based on my Tyrant's background but it rarely achieves anything in game (I'm a story over effectiveness kinda guy). Tyrants usually die from fleeing and being caught rather than through injury.

BossBadBad
11-08-2009, 23:01
You might be right about the Trappers. I suppose they are mostly for march preventing and harassing people before they get killed off or flees.

I would think that the ironfists are quite good. I suppose I could downgrade to AH, but Ironfists is such a signature weapon ;) Also, if the ogre units are as small as 3 models, isn't it better to have them unleash a "thunderous" charge with 3 Impact Hits, 12 Attack and hoping to break the enemy due to overwhelming casulties and fear? Even as I am wrigting this I'm startingto realize; that's nog going to happen.

The Wyrdstone Necklace really seems to be quite bad. Only Ward 5+ and risking of loosing a would doesen't seem to be the greatest piece of gear. But then again, ogres don't have especially much descent protection gear. But is it really worth it?

Well, at worst you'll want a Luck Gnoblar, I would personally take a great weapon on the Bruiser also. I'm sure you could get enough points to get a Bangstick on your butcher also.

warpscum
18-08-2009, 19:45
Well, at worst you'll want a Luck Gnoblar, I would personally take a great weapon on the Bruiser also. I'm sure you could get enough points to get a Bangstick on your butcher also.

Well, yeah, if I use a luck-gnoblar the chance is greater, but still pretty lame i must say.

Do you mean that you would discard the Siegebreaker infavour for a regular GW or do you mean that you would take both?

Well, the Bangstick is one of the items I was thinking of giving to my butcher, but the Hafling Coockbook also seems tempting. You think the Bangstick is more worth it?

Mercules
19-08-2009, 20:57
You don't like Gnoblar Fighters?

Wait until you run into a Giant at 1k. You will wish you had Gnoblar Fighters. :)

BossBadBad
20-08-2009, 01:11
Well, yeah, if I use a luck-gnoblar the chance is greater, but still pretty lame i must say.

Do you mean that you would discard the Siegebreaker infavour for a regular GW or do you mean that you would take both?

Well, the Bangstick is one of the items I was thinking of giving to my butcher, but the Hafling Coockbook also seems tempting. You think the Bangstick is more worth it?
I do believe the Bangstick is more worth it. OR, you could get the Skullmantle, which I have heard nothing but good things about.

Oh, read the list wrong, my bad. In that case, take the Siegebreaker, I'm sure the extra strength will help somewhere down the line. Remember, Ogre's are TERRIBLE at AS's. (I would still take the Wyrdstone Necklace, but that is your choice.)

As a parting thought: The Ogre Stronghold is a great place to know more about the OK.

warpscum
20-08-2009, 16:34
I do believe the Bangstick is more worth it. OR, you could get the Skullmantle, which I have heard nothing but good things about.

Oh, read the list wrong, my bad. In that case, take the Siegebreaker, I'm sure the extra strength will help somewhere down the line. Remember, Ogre's are TERRIBLE at AS's. (I would still take the Wyrdstone Necklace, but that is your choice.)

As a parting thought: The Ogre Stronghold is a great place to know more about the OK.

Thanks for the information about TOS, it really was a great page.

I am still not sure the Wyrdstone Necklace w/ Luck-Gnoblar is worth it. I'll probably do a few games with and without the necklace, just to try it out. Also, I will go over the list, try and squeeze out a few spare points to add additional Magic Gear.

You don't like Gnoblar Fighters?

Wait until you run into a Giant at 1k. You will wish you had Gnoblar Fighters. :)

Well, yeah. :) I realize the greatness of adding some rankbonus and maybe I will add that one day, but I think that will occure only after a bad loss such as what a Giant might do to you :D