PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor character experience

Majestic0110
11-08-2009, 23:03
Hi there, please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere; I did conduct a search. My question is, aside from the brief overview in the Inquisitor rulebook, are there any rules for characters gaining experience and using these experience points to advance characteristics/skills etc. If you know of any rules on the internet, could you please direct me to them ? Many thanks...

Catferret
11-08-2009, 23:20
Best way to do it is to apply advances if it fits the storyline or as a reward for something spectacularly heroic. As far as I know there are no hard and fast rules for assigning experience.

As an example, I had an Inquisitor who was regularly getting headshots, then on top of that they were searching an office when an assassin burst through the door. The Inquisitor pulled a pistol from the desk drawer, spun round 180 and shot the assassin. In the head. Earned deadeye shot after all that.

It's all about style or heroism really. Don't make advances too common, make it a reward for actions that further the plot or are just plain awesome.

Easy E
12-08-2009, 00:11
Sounds like someone is trying to make INQ into an RPG?

I would recommend you take a look at how RPG's do it.

I prefer a Karma system that is handed out by the GM. You earn points you can trade in for advances IF you do certain role-playing related things. This avoids killing for the sake of EXP like you get in some games.

precinctomega
12-08-2009, 10:27
White Dwarf 261. The rules aren't bad per se, but for most constructive purposes, Catferret's method is far superior to any structured RGP-style approach to experience and/or training.

R.

huntarolo
12-08-2009, 20:18
meh, if you can fit it in tbh, dont forget that inquisitor is more about narrative storytelling rather than elitely tooled characters of death

a. no-one would want to play
b. wheres the fun in being indestructable ;)

Colonel Marbi Chora
15-08-2009, 04:20
As an example, I had an Inquisitor who was regularly getting headshots, then on top of that they were searching an office when an assassin burst through the door. The Inquisitor pulled a pistol from the desk drawer, spun round 180 and shot the assassin. In the head. Earned deadeye shot after all that...

Oh my god, that is AWESOME. Seriously, that's a cinamatic moment.

I have to agree with Catferret and PO. Advancements should be based off of a charactor's actions and acomplishments, rather than "hack-n-slash" powergaming.

madwargamer
17-08-2009, 01:57
Well, both approaches are good because no one should feel left out, the deadeye shot seems like a good bonus but I still like to use the xp provided on the ready reckoner.

MarcoSkoll
17-08-2009, 13:51
... but I still like to use the xp provided on the ready reckoner.
Oh crap! Find cover!!!

*Hides and continues post from a small bunker*

You'll find that most of the people on Inquisitor forums shun the concept of xp, rolling for characteristics and especially the ready reckoner.

If you're using calculators or randomisers to tell you whether your character is "right", then you're doing it wrong.