PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity question

Stuffburger
11-08-2009, 22:45
So I spent quite a while poring over the rules and searching the forums but I can't seem to answer this really basic question:

Is a unit that fails its stupidity test allowed to move in the remaining moves section after it's mandatory 1/2 speed forward movement?

I can see it intended both ways- failing that check is brutal, but having a stupidity test speed up a unit makes little sense as well.

yarrickson
11-08-2009, 22:48
No, it just moves the Half. It has been subject to a compulsory movement effect.

Drachen_Jager
11-08-2009, 23:47
There's no such thing as a stupidity question, just stupidity answers (like this one).

rtunian
12-08-2009, 00:10
"however, sometimes troops go out of control for some reason... the player has no control over the movement of these troops and so these are referred to as compulsory moves" - p20

this is the closest thing i could find in the little book to an actual prohibition against moving in the remaining moves part of the movement phase. there is nowhere in the movement chapter or stupidity segment that says explicitly "if you have a compulsory move, then you may not move" or even "units may normally move once per turn", which astounded me.

if you were able to make an additional move in remaining moves, that would contradict the clause "the player has no control over the movement"

Stuffburger
12-08-2009, 00:17
No, it just moves the Half. It has been subject to a compulsory movement effect.

Can you give me a page number please? I can't seem to find the rule that says a unit that has moved compulsively cannot then move in remaining moves.

jrodrag
12-08-2009, 00:53
Its still not completely clear but on Page 24 under remaining moves it states "...it is time to move the rest of your troops." The use of the word rest implies that units that have moved previously do not get to do so again. I am also surprised this isn't more clear.

BlackVomit
12-08-2009, 05:50
BRB pg52 Stupidity section - " If there are friends in the way, the units blunder into each other and their ranks become confused, in which case both units are pinned in place for the rest of the movement phase and neither may move further"

In light of this discussion, it seems that units failing Stupidity can still move as normal. Failing the test will negate any charging, spell casting & shooting and may occasionally result in two of your units blundering into each other.

Any feedback please?

rtunian
12-08-2009, 06:49
look, if stupidity brings you into contact with another of your units, then obviously you didn't move the full half-move that stupidity requires... that's what you lose from the stupid unit, whatever of the 1/2*M was left, and then the other unit loses its full move.

the quoted lines in post 7 in no way support that stupid units may make regular moves.

page 20 describes compulsory movement as "the player has no control over the movement of these troops". stupidity is a compulsory movement. page 20 thus says that if your unit is stupid, you have no control over its movement. (if a=b and a=c, then b=c)

BlackVomit
12-08-2009, 07:32
look, if stupidity brings you into contact with another of your units, then obviously you didn't move the full half-move that stupidity requires... that's what you lose from the stupid unit, whatever of the 1/2*M was left, and then the other unit loses its full move.

the quoted lines in post 7 in no way support that stupid units may make regular moves. (if a=b and a=c, then b=c)

I agree.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought that the Stupidity move was 'extra' similar to the O&G "we'll show 'em!" rule, since nowhere in the Stupidity rules does it say that you cannot move.

Deglosh
12-08-2009, 18:46
Wow im looking in the rulebook now, and its not saying anything about if the unit may do a normal move aswell after the compulsory movements phase. The only things it says the unit cannot do that turn is declare charges, shoot and cast magic.

But the way ive always played it is that the unit moves half its move, and it cannot then move further that turn.

jrodrag
12-08-2009, 18:56
As I mentioned earlier, the rules for the remaining moves phase indicate that units that moved prior to the remaining moves phase may not move in the remaining moves phase. The wording in the rule indicates that only the REST of the units, those that didn't move in the other phases, may now move.

Jetty Smurf
12-08-2009, 18:56
This is how I have played it also, Deglosh.

But I am more than happy for these rules to be twisted so that when I roll badly for the stupidity test I get to move even FURTHER than if I had passed it. Yay me!

Move 3.5 + March 14 = WIN!

Shame about the charges though ;)

Deglosh
12-08-2009, 19:01
rofl. Well ok i think i have played it right. As jrodrag is saying. The remaining units move in the "remaining moves" phase. haveing my trolls rush forward like that is not good anyways :P

were they are best is next the the boyz, helpin em out in combat