PDA

View Full Version : Shooting, Champions and Rank and File

Maoriboy007
12-08-2009, 01:37
Are champions not counted towards the rank and file rule? For example, if you have a character and a unit of 5 models (of which one is a champion) for the purposes of shooting spells etc, are hits distributed as if the champion was an additional character? (hits can be randomised onto the character in other words) or do the models in the unit get destroyed first?

Signius
12-08-2009, 04:19
The champion does not count as rank and file in this case. It was answer in a GW FAQ.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2220025_Warhammer_FAQ_part2_Feb_2009

Deglosh
12-08-2009, 18:58
when shooting you always anyways take away the rankand file, even if you have a character in the unit. But if you shoot with a weapon that requires the "Look out sir rule" you take that aswell for a unit with only a champ.

nosferatu1001
12-08-2009, 19:24
Deglosh - you are incorrect, I think. Hard to decipher...

If the unit contains mroe than 5 Rank and File models, excluding champions, you cannot kill any attached characters through shooting alone. well, for that round.

If it contains less than that you must allocate wounds; randomly where you have less than a full units worth of hits, assigned where you have move (randomising any remainder) - once you have done this you can kill champions directly, and any other characters attached, depending on how lucky your rolling is!

Signius
12-08-2009, 19:24
when shooting you always anyways take away the rankand file, even if you have a character in the unit. But if you shoot with a weapon that requires the "Look out sir rule" you take that aswell for a unit with only a champ.

This is untrue if the rank and file models have less than a unit strength of 5. And GW has stated that a champion does not count towards this requirement. If you had a unit of a character and a champion, hits would have to be evenly distributed between the two, and then any left over wound would be randomized between them. Look out sir! can only be used if there is a unit strength of 5 or more rank and file.

The champion doesn't count because he himself can benefit from the Look out sir! rule so it wouldn't make sense to allow him to be one of the models that takes a hit for a character using this rule.

Necromancy Black
13-08-2009, 05:38
The champion does not count as rank and file in this case. It was answer in a GW FAQ.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2220025_Warhammer_FAQ_part2_Feb_2009

Ffffff....was looking for this rule a couple weeks ago and completely missed it even I had the FAQ right in front of me. Finally get to make that guy shut and stop calling me a cheater.