PDA

View Full Version : Best Greater Daemon?

Nagash333
12-08-2009, 10:14
Which do you think is the best Greater Daemon for a 3000pts army?

My choice has to be the Lord of Change for the magical offence it gives.

Lijacote
12-08-2009, 10:44
Best for what purpose exactly?

My answer is Lord of Change either way because he's the only one I have a decent model of.

moose
12-08-2009, 10:49
Keeper of Secrets or Great Unclean One are best for all comer lists, both combat monsters and the ability for a good magic phase.

Bloodthirsters are best when not against gunlines, and Lord of Changes are best against low/high magic lists.

I think it more depends on the rest of your army, as to which is the best greater daemon however.

Moose.

bork da basher
12-08-2009, 18:44
overall i really love the great unclean one. T6 10 wounds is just so nice and with trappings of nurgle an armour save, a ward save and regen. he may not hit that hard but your hard put to shift him when he gets to you. i make him a lvl 4 wizard and stream of corruption so he's extremely versatile.

Drakcore Bloodtear
12-08-2009, 18:56
I would have a LoC and a GUO as their both good at magic ones fast with wings as the other is slow with T6, 10 wounds, a 4+ sv and regen

But I'd only take them because their my faverite 2 gods

Brother J
12-08-2009, 19:58
Wouldn't it really depend on your playstyle, your current list's needs, and more than likely what your opponents tend to bring if this is going to be a competitive or just friendly game?

I'm a khorne junky, always have been even though I rarely use Khornate units anymore for pure effectiveness purposes...So my opinion is going to be pretty biased.

blurred
12-08-2009, 20:39
I'm surprised that so many rate GUO as one of the best. IMO it is definitely worst of the four. Sure it's nigh unkillable but with M4 it's going to have a hard time affecting the battle enough to justify the high points cost.

All the other greater daemons have excellent mobility combined with deadly arsenal of attacks. If only one must be declared as the best, Bloodthirster would be my choice.

Lijacote
12-08-2009, 21:35
Too bad the GUO is M6 then.

madden
12-08-2009, 22:21
You could also use a GUO as k-galth(spl) he has the stone thower nurglins to add a bit of non magic fire power also cheaper than a level 4 GUO as a tzeench one (forgot its name) should do your magic.

w3rm
12-08-2009, 22:42
KoS for its mobility and combat beastlyness.

tortoise
12-08-2009, 23:09
Keeper of Secrets.

Its great in combat and the lore of Slaanesh has excellent spells. Lore of Tzeentch may hit harder but I find spells that effect your opponent's movement even nastier.

Wednesday Friday Addams
12-08-2009, 23:13
I love fateweaver.

Tuch
13-08-2009, 00:57
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

er um ya Bloodthirster :)

PARTYCHICORITA
13-08-2009, 01:41
I such a large game i would go for a GUO, he's resistant like hell and can take pretty much anything you throw at him while supporting combat and magic.

Condottiere
13-08-2009, 03:22
Is this a popularity contest? Bloodthirster.

Arguleon-veq
13-08-2009, 06:43
Exactly.

In terms of power. The Thirster comes first. Followed by the Lord of Change.

Minigiant
13-08-2009, 08:18
Faios Fateweaver everytime

blurred
13-08-2009, 09:00
Too bad the GUO is M6 then.

Oh :o

That definitely helps, but I'd still say it's not enough to compensate the high points cost. Flying and M10 (Keeper has M10 right?! :p) are just so much better.

pinegulf
13-08-2009, 09:29
Thirster. There isn't really anything he can't take. Only fear is artillery.

Draconian77
13-08-2009, 09:49
Well, artillery and Van Horstmans...

I actually do consider the GUO more of a threat than a Thirster myself, it is essentially an indestructable rank-negating monster that also uses a very nasty lore while it advances on you. I find that the 5+ saves on the other GD make them a little too susceptible to massed shooting.

For this reason Kairos Fateweaver is also a royal pain...

Izram
13-08-2009, 17:57
I like the high US on the GUO; works well for taking on small elite units when combined with balesword and noxious fumes.

What is nicer is how hard his few attacks hit. In an all nurgle army, he adds high-strength hero/monster killing potential in an army that is otherwise littered with low str poisoned attacks. In a khorne list, the blood thirster is just another bruiser in an all-combat crush-your-ass list; nothing special. In a tzeentch list, the LoC is another great caster in a casting list. The KoS being just another high movement combat unit.

These of course are considering all-one-god lists; I appreciate the GUO the most because of it being something different! He is more than a tar pit. He is an effective killer of small elite units, like blood knights, juggernauts and anything else expensive with somebody to challenge! I generally don't give him trappings. It turns him into just another nurgle tarpit, and in my all nurgle list the last thing I need is another low-dmg-output high resilience unit.