PDA

View Full Version : Can you use LOTRO miniatures?

Yiyio
12-08-2009, 17:38
I was wondering if there are any limitations, as they are made by GW, I don't know if they would let you use them in a tournament for example (with WHF bases of course) The LOTRO dwarf models look pretty good and are cheaper, so...

thanks in advance

Warhammer Madman
12-08-2009, 18:29
I use the wizzards just cos thier cool!

Radagast makes a gret amber wizzard for example.

Dungeon_Lawyer
12-08-2009, 18:33
In a few years time that is what most people who play LOTR will be doing anway...

Onidan
12-08-2009, 20:19
You are not allowed to use LotR minis as WHFB minis in official events (that is: GW tournaments, playing in the shops etc.) afaik. It has something to do copyright issues I think.

In non official events it depents on the host. In private games, well nothings stopping you here.

But remember: The LotR minis are NOTICEBLY smaller than the WHFB ones.

Tae
12-08-2009, 20:54
You are not allowed to use LotR minis as WHFB minis in official events (that is: GW tournaments, playing in the shops etc.) afaik. It has something to do copyright issues I think.

In non official events it depents on the host. In private games, well nothings stopping you here.

This rule no longer exists, GW fixed the 'issue' with the IP in this respect.

However if you play a WFB army with LOTR models in and you win an award, pictures of your army will not be published.

Condottiere
12-08-2009, 21:14
What is the exact scale for LotR models?

5Pointer
12-08-2009, 21:25
I use the wizzards just cos thier cool!

Radagast makes a gret amber wizzard for example.

You may have just solved a Mordheim problem I was having... thanks!

Warhammer Madman
12-08-2009, 21:34
You may have just solved a Mordheim problem I was having... thanks!

ahh always glad to help...

But a unit of LoTr minis would look awfull in Wfb I only use the wizzards as their on the larger size for Lotr but the new gandalf would look awfull as he is compleately the wrong size!

old gandalf, saruman ,sharkey and radagast are all fair play and look great.

I cant see any other mini's in Lotr eing usefull thought elves in Wfb are more "fantastical" (is that even a word?) and the dwarfs are more stout than there Lotr counterparts. The Terror in the north demon thing is cool as a deamon prince (if you want to take one) reminds me of Belakor.

Nathangonmad
12-08-2009, 22:07

You are allowed to use them. I went to a offical GW tourament not even a month ago and my army of the dead spirit hosts didn't even get a mention. An we had to leave our armies on the table for GW staff to look at to give a painting score.

w3rm
12-08-2009, 22:53
Ents as treekin maybe?

Urgat
12-08-2009, 22:59
Wargs as wolves, too, but with their two poses, I don't see them being a real improvement...

GeneralX
12-08-2009, 23:34
I think its in bad taste...

Crazy Harborc
13-08-2009, 01:23
When the first of the LoTRs movies came out and GW bought the rights to make LoTRs minies one of the requirments GW had to adhere to was keeping GW's other minies lines seperate from the LoTRs stuff. New Line Cinema was the (reported one) to insist on that little requirement.

Condottiere
13-08-2009, 02:54
That I think was a mistake on their part, since people would be more inclined to integrate LotR miniatures into Fantasy games than the other way around, meaning more royalties for them.

Blaklabel
13-08-2009, 04:45
Ents as treekin maybe?

I see Ents in Woodelfs all the time. The Fantasy Trees just look so....not like a big creature. The models just look like blobs, especially not painted! The Ents, I think, look so silly that they fit in perfectly with the cartoony look of Warhammer.

Poseidal
13-08-2009, 10:09
I see Ents in Woodelfs all the time. The Fantasy Trees just look so....not like a big creature. The models just look like blobs, especially not painted! The Ents, I think, look so silly that they fit in perfectly with the cartoony look of Warhammer.

The Ents look much better than the normal Treeman model IMO. I use Treebeard as the Ancient and the plastic Ent as a normal Treeman now.

Morgrish the Malignant
13-08-2009, 16:07

Anyone? Does anyone have an answer to this? Because I'm planning to do all kinds of things with that AotD set, Barrow Wights and Dead Marsh Spectres (zombie regiment - spirit hosts - ???), so it would be quite a disappointment if I buy them and it turns out that they're a lot (or at least noticably) smaller. There are quite some posts on integrating them and how cool that all would be, but no one can give a definite conclusion on the scale comparisson...

Some help on that would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Morgrish

Briohmar
13-08-2009, 16:14
Technically LOTR are 25mm, though heroic scale 25's which makes them just about equivalent to a true 28.

Condottiere
13-08-2009, 16:29
I wonder if you can use them as Asians?

Sherlocko
13-08-2009, 16:52
Technically LOTR are 25mm, though heroic scale 25's which makes them just about equivalent to a true 28.

Ainīt it the other way around? LotR are TRUE 25mm while WHFB are 28mm heroic scale?

Crazy Harborc
14-08-2009, 00:53
The LoTRs minies blend in with my 25mm metal historicals. The 28mm metal and plastic N0N-GW minies I have just appear to be a little taller. Hands, heads, weapons etc are not oversized/to big as with GW's 28mm minies.

ukrocky
14-08-2009, 01:07
LoTR is 28mm Non-heroic, as opposed to 28mm Heroic of fantasy. And My LoTR figures shall never go in my fantasy armies! All 1000+ of them....damn fine game....

Condottiere
14-08-2009, 06:45
So what's that exactly, a 12% reduction of scale, or even larger, if the LotR figures are non-heroice and the WHFB figures are heroic?

mrtn
14-08-2009, 10:31
It means they're the same height but not the same width.

Someone in the painting forum used Nazguls as chaos sorcerers without problem, and I've seen pictures of army of the dead as spirit hosts that looked nice. Use the search.

Griefbringer
14-08-2009, 11:05

I am still waiting for an exact scale to be established for fantasy - in the past the size of models in certain ranges has been going up and down like a roller coaster.

Warhammer Madman
15-08-2009, 18:54
I am still waiting for an exact scale to be established for fantasy - in the past the size of models in certain ranges has been going up and down like a roller coaster.

Yea the common goblins are not in scale... nor is Marius lieghtdorf (such a fat head he looks like a marine!).

Lord Dan
15-08-2009, 19:13
LoTR models are not true 25mm. Hold them up to any historic true 25mm and you'll note a similar difference that you see between fantasy minis and true 28mm.

LoTR = heroic 25mm
Fantasy = heroic 28mm

For this reason LoTR figures work very nicely with true 28mm models, but not so well with the heroic scale fantasy models. I think someone already said this, however with lots of numbers being thrown around I figured I would restate it.

Hope this helps.

mrtn
15-08-2009, 20:36
My Aragorn model is 28 mm. A Gondorian Tower Guard is 28 mm. The rulebook talks about a 28 mm tall model (in the rules for cover or something like that). I'd say it's true 28 mm, the models are much bigger than my old 25 mm armies.

28! 28! 28! :p

Griefbringer
15-08-2009, 20:48
LoTR models are not true 25mm. Hold them up to any historic true 25mm and you'll note a similar difference that you see between fantasy minis and true 28mm.

Of course a lot depends on what definition of the word "true" we hold to be true.

On the historical model scene, term "true 25mm" is meant to indicate a model that measures 25mm from the soles of the feet to the top of the head, while plain "25mm" is usually taken to indicate that the model is 25mm on the Barrett measurement method, ie. 25mm from the soles of the feet to the eye level.

However, in the fantasy scene the term "true 28mm" tends to be also used to stand for "non-heroic 28mm", ie. for models that are 28mm on the Barrett measurement method, but that are not of the "heroic" sculpting style, ie. they have realistic or only slightly exaggerated proportions, compared to the exaggerated proportions of the "heroic" sculpting style.

These type of discussions would be probably helped if people would not blindly throw around numbers they heard from somewhere, but would instead dig up a measurement stick and a bunch of models, and then measure their various dimensions to find out how big they really are.

Tokamak
15-08-2009, 22:14
I think its in bad taste...

I have to agree.

WFB and W40K are often very compactible to each other (especially the orks/orcs) but LOTR is a completely different style and scale.

Deon
16-08-2009, 00:29
i was thinking of using the cave trol model in my goblin army.
because i think it looks great,
but can i fit on a base that i used for a warhammer trol???

Tokamak
16-08-2009, 00:53
Yes, easily.

Crazy Harborc
16-08-2009, 01:02
Hey, go for it, use that cave troll. Just be leary of using it at an official event at/in a GW company store. Unless someone with New Line Cinema is there it's possible no one will giv it a thought. Still and all....ya never know till it happens.;)

Jerrus
16-08-2009, 02:58
Saruman make an awesome wizard/necromancer :)

Jind_Singh
19-08-2009, 08:42
I find the difference to be fairly obvious - WFB figs have HUGE hands, feet, and heads compared to WOTR true scale.
The limbs are also chunky in WFB - hence they have so much better detail than WOTR.
Theres a few figs out there which play well in both systems but you have to really pick through them.
I always thought the Nazgul winged horror was so much better than the winged horror the vampires are forced to use (or is it the Dark elves?), either was the only thing horrific was the scuplt! What a lame model, the WOTR Horror is so much better!

Jind_Singh
19-08-2009, 08:42
And shelob is also an excellent spider mount for goblins!

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
19-08-2009, 11:20
I will make a unit from cave trolls from that I will use as common trolls for my greenskin army.

Greetz
G

AndrewGPaul
19-08-2009, 12:04
Lord of the Rings miniatures are about the same size as Warhammer miniatures. Not sure what the scale is (I'd need to measure Sean Bean and compare him to a Boromir miniature).

However, the proportions are much more realistic than Warhammer miniatures. A real human's head is roughly 1/7 their height. With warhammer miniatures, that ratio is closer to 1/5. On top of that, extremities tend to be exaggerated, hence enormous hands and feet (as seen in this photo from Tom Meier's blog: http://thunderboltmountain.com/serendipity/uploads/Compare.JPG ).