PDA

View Full Version : 16-20PD @ 2k HE army - viable?

Olannon
12-08-2009, 16:52
(The discussion here is intended for competitive play only)

Basically having toyed around with various lists I think it's boiling down to 2 different approaches for me. One of them is the stardragon + deathstar DP list, the other is, as the topic says, centered around magic.

Basically taking this:
Teclis
Dragon mage, silver wand, ring of fury
Mage lvl 2 jewel, dispel scroll

Coupled with the BoS this weighs in at a little over 1k pts and grants 14 + 2D3 PD or 16-20 PD + 1 bound spell (this is of course because the Dmage gets 3 free dice with Silver Wand every turn).

So basically the question boils down to - is this viable? I reckon the Dragon Mage would be a huge target here due to his amazing potential, and he isn't exactly hard to take down. Additionally, he's restricted to fire magic which could be a problem facing the wrong type of lists.
If this approach is even viable, what would you fill up the remaining points with? I'm thinking most (all?) armies would have to come to me so speed wouldn't be too much of a factor, but then again I could be wrong.

C&C appreciated :)

BrPrometheus
12-08-2009, 19:35
I always find magic heavy armies to be very luck dependent. How good are you rolling for casting? How good is he rolling on dispelling? What does his magic defense look like? I have run similar magic heavy lists and have found them successful to a certian extent in that I tend to overwhelm a large number of my opponents, but in any tournament I would meet one opponent who could shut me down or my rolls would go enough south that he could survive and hit my lines with force. For friendly games unless I was playing another magic heavy army this is just not fun for most opponents to play against.

Condottiere
13-08-2009, 02:52
Your Dragon Mage will probably be targeted with missiles early on, as you rightly predict. Assuming Teclis gets IF every time, your opponent should have enough Dispel Die left over to deal with the Dragon Mage and the normal one.

TheSanityAssassin
13-08-2009, 03:01
The problem with Teclis is that he doesn't match well with other mages, as he tends to just IF a lot, which saves ALL the dispel dice for your two LV 2's. If you're going to go VERY magic heavy, go for dice spam and just take a regular Archmage. If you're going to do Teclis...he'll probably cast anyways, so just take some fighty heroes or another unit to back him up.

Shiodome
13-08-2009, 17:40
played almost this exact list on tuesday, with teclis in a phoenix guard bunker... using a pretty normal WE list had shot all the soft t3 threats off the table by turn 3 for a massacre victory *shrug*

i was losing two units a turn to magic for the first 2 turns, but once in close the HE's just got torn apart with not having enough points for a decent melee backbone or any melee characters.

dunno if the game was just an anomaly, was expecting to get the floor wiped with me with all those magic missiles... but it worked out that the points spent to cast those missiles didn't compensate enough for the lack of an actual army backing up and protecting the mages. (though granted WE's are excellent mage hunters :P )

was (roughly)

teclis
lvl2 on dragon
lvl2 on foot
RBT
block of pheonix guard
lion chariot
2 small detachments of spearmen
some archers
somewhere there was the banner of sorcery, and some bound items

vs

Machine gun alter lord (5 shots, ignore armour)
Alter noble (hail of doom arrow)
spellsinger, 1 scroll
2 x 12 glade guard
2 x 8 dryads
5 glade riders
3 treekin
6 wardancers
5 wild riders
5 waywatchers
treeman

Tarian
13-08-2009, 19:46
Just as an idea, I always have Teclis (when I field him) cast LAST. He won't *always* IF, and the risk of letting him get free spells can be pretty dangerous. That said, I'd drop the Dragon Mage for another Level 2, and spam infantry and scouts to march block/try to hold the line. With that many expensive characters, however, it'll be a very, very small army.

EDIT: And the stuff people save to dispel Teclis have a good chance to be wasted when/if he IFs.

Signius
14-08-2009, 03:41
Just as an idea, I always have Teclis (when I field him) cast LAST. He won't *always* IF, and the risk of letting him get free spells can be pretty dangerous. That said, I'd drop the Dragon Mage for another Level 2, and spam infantry and scouts to march block/try to hold the line. With that many expensive characters, however, it'll be a very, very small army.

EDIT: And the stuff people save to dispel Teclis have a good chance to be wasted when/if he IFs.

I was going to bring this up. I have yet to play a 2k match, but it seems to me that having Teclis cast last means either, the enemy saves dice for him (and thus wastes some dice about 60% of the time per big spell, depending on amount of dice and how many spells) or the enemy doesn't save dice and Teclis gets a free ride when he doesn't get IF (conversely, about 40% of the time per big spell). This seems like a lose/lose choice to force upon the opponent. I wanted to ask some people who actually have some experience though, because it is possible this only works in theory.

Aranel
14-08-2009, 18:10
If you want to take the Dragon mage, at least give him the guardian phnx for some protection.

Tbh, I find Teclis works best in his own. With the banner of sorcery he has between 8-12 power dice and a whole lore to cast from. He alos provides a solid magicla defense. With this amount of firepower, he should be able to take out or weaken any opposing big hitters with IF spells but will need some close combat punch to deal with the rest of the army. A magic phase based solely on Teclis is not only much more reliable but leaves room to build a force that can hold its own in combat