PDA

View Full Version : How are the Eldar in 5th?

Caligula
12-08-2009, 19:14
I've been completely away from the game for quite some time now, and have returned to find everything rather different. What I'm wondering is simple, really. How is the current Eldar codex in 5th edition now? I'm either going to continue on with my CSM or start up an Eldar force, and I'd like to know if the Eldar can stand on their own.

Captain Micha
12-08-2009, 19:20
The Eldar, are a consistent number 2 as far as powerhouses go in my book.

They have a wide range of flexible army builds, that can be infuriatingly stupidly hard to kill. *especially for a supposed "glass cannon race" Give me a 36" move land raider I'll show you master strategist... you... sorry.... *

Eldar, can shut down pretty much any of the Power lists, if they are built correctly and used with half a brain.

So no worries they are just as cheesy as they've always been :p

Spell_of_Destruction
12-08-2009, 19:54
The Eldar, are a consistent number 2 as far as powerhouses go in my book.

They have a wide range of flexible army builds, that can be infuriatingly stupidly hard to kill. *especially for a supposed "glass cannon race" Give me a 36" move land raider I'll show you master strategist... you... sorry.... *

Eldar, can shut down pretty much any of the Power lists, if they are built correctly and used with half a brain.

So no worries they are just as cheesy as they've always been :p

I disagree. They're still one of the more powerful lists but nowhere near as strong as in 4th ed. Chaos and Orks are both ahead in the power level and few people will disagree with that.

The main problem they have is that 5th ed forces you to take troops whereas Eldar forces in 4th ed would be low on troops and high on elites and heavy support. I often find that I'm taking units purely because they are troops, not because they fill some distinct role in my army. This can be problematic for Eldar where points are a premium.

Eldar power lists in 5th ed seem to be limited to a handful of builds. Warlocks on jetbikes seems to be a favourite although they're not as hard and scary as nob bikers. A lot of troops require expensive transports to function properly.

I think that the current Eldar book could do with some fine tuning to bring it in line with the focus of 5th ed but we probably won't see that for at least two years.

The_Dragon_Rising
12-08-2009, 20:09
As far as armies go they can be built to be competitive, support a wide range of play styles and be fluffy so they are good all round.

Irisado
12-08-2009, 20:22
Give me a 36" move land raider I'll show you master strategist... you... sorry.... *

Having read a fair few of your posts on the Eldar you do seem to come up with rather odd distortions of the abilities, strengths and weaknesses of Eldar units, which I find curious to say the least.

To answer the original question, Eldar are perfectly viable in fifth edition. Tournament players will all give your different answers as to how competitive they are overall, but not being a tournament player myself, I can safely say that providing you play well with them, they are capable of giving most armies out there a very good run for their money. They do have a steep learning curve though.

Craftworld
12-08-2009, 20:22
As far as armies go they can be built to be competitive, support a wide range of play styles and be fluffy so they are good all round.

Quoted for truth.

Craftworld
12-08-2009, 20:27
Having read a fair few of your posts on the Eldar you do seem to come up with rather odd distortions of the abilities, strengths and weaknesses of Eldar units, which I find curious to say the least.

To answer the original question, Eldar are perfectly viable in fifth edition. Tournament players will all give your different answers as to how competitive they are overall, but not being a tournament player myself, I can safely say that providing you play well with them, they are capable of giving most armies out there a very good run for their money. They do have a steep learning curve though.

Micha has a trend to his postings. Armies / variants he doesn't play are cheesy, noob, or "easy mode" where as the armies he fields are what the real men play, haha.

shin'keiro
12-08-2009, 20:40
Chaos and Orks are both ahead in the power level and few people will disagree with that.

Im disagreeing with that.. i think theyre still the best 40k army - purely for their flexibility.

Spell_of_Destruction
12-08-2009, 20:47
Im disagreeing with that.. i think theyre still the best 40k army - purely for their flexibility.

I think that i's harder to utilise that flexibility in 5th ed because you have to invest more points in units that are not integral to your gameplan. One could argue that all armies suffer to this extent but it is particularly problematic for Eldar because they require to take a wide range of units for every battlefield task. Other armies have more tactically flexible units that can fulfill a variety of battlefield roles.

Chaos and Orks have much better troops choices. That's not to say that the Eldar troop choices are bad on the whole. They just aren't as good as the ones that Chaos and Orks have.