PDA

View Full Version : Possible reason the TAU might be the next dex?

fox-hound
12-08-2009, 22:54
I was looking in the GW site articles and Crons have a TACTICS ARTICAL. But DE and TAU don't! I know for a fact that TAU have had there tactics articles up for like the past year and half and I was thinking that GW never update stuff like that unless there's going to be/are new products. What do you think?

Gorthaur
12-08-2009, 22:56
I was looking in the GW site articles and Crons have a TACTICS ARTICAL. But DE and TAU don't! I know for a fact that TAU have had there tactics articles up for like the past year and half and I was thinking that GW never update stuff like that unless there's going to be/are new products. What do you think?

if Tau get done before Dark Eldar I will freak on GW, that is all I have to say.

Mannimarco
12-08-2009, 23:04
theres only so many times our dark eldar playing friends can tolerate "yeah we're working on it, your new codex will be out soon" before they get to breaking point

i always thought the new codex order was space wolves, dark eldar, possibly necrons

BrotherMoses
12-08-2009, 23:15
I thought they did space marine, non space marine, space marine, but yeah, SW, DE, 'crons sounds reasonable. While I'm not a fan of the Arny wannabees I understand they need a codex from the growing outcry on these boards anyways.

guillimansknight
12-08-2009, 23:38
well considering the last SM dex didn't last long I doubt the Tau dex will.

But yeah they are likely to be soon since GW do love them

1. Ultramarines
2. Money
3. Tau

burning crome
13-08-2009, 00:10
I think the Tau will get updated a lot sooner than most people think possible, not the next none SM dex (cron’s or bugs would my front runners ). Before any one shots me down I do have a DE army my self which I play for fun, so I’m not here advocating there demise.
Here my reasoning. How ever much people moan on sites like this, the DE are the least by a fair way played army. And there for the least important line in terms of sales, and I hate to brake it to you but that why GW exists . Add to that the fact they haven’t been updated for so long that any effectiveness they still have is purely accidental, they (to my knowledge) don’t appear on the tournament seen very often. Tournaments love them or hate them is where GW still get a lot of their feedback, not to mention a fare bit of revenue off those getting the must have list of the day.
Whist I don’t think these means that GW have forgotten about DE, it dose mean with all the work that needed for a new codex and let not forget the entire new model line (add in the move to plastics and the production complications) that the other races are much easer prospects. Whist they in turn keep a greater population of the gaming community happy. That why we have so many SM dex’s since all you need is a hand full of themed model and a few other odds and ends with some rule tweaks and you got your self a new release. The DE on the other hand need a monumental effort in comparison.
plus a massive optimally timed launch to persuade new gamers to take them up, because I would hazard a guess that the existing players would not justify the costs of the re-release. I can see they following a new supplement or campaign.
In a way it better that they do take their time a get every thing right rather than rush it. Because if they did still look the mess that they are at the moment they wouldn’t get a second chance. And would truly go the way of the squats.

AFnord
13-08-2009, 00:33
guillimansknight, I really don't agree with your list. GW does not seem to be "that" fond of tau. Tau has a relativley small line of models (and available units in general), combined with a short and not very interesting codex to read. They also don't get a lot of new stuff, so I really don't see how you came to the conclusion. The original Tau codex, while interesting, was not very good. They had very few options, and a lot of things were overpriced. They kinda needed a new codex, and the new codex did nothing but add a few more unit types, and fix a few point costs. It was not an overhaul of the army, like most new codexes. This was way back when tau got their last codex, and while they are back at the "kinda weak" spot, they are not in desperate need of a new codex. I would be surprised if they were released before DE. Have not GW said that they are working on the DE models? Would that not be a strong indication of the fact that DE will get some love soon(ish)?

Drop-Trooper
13-08-2009, 00:49
Poor, poor DE players, as an Inquisitor player I feel for you.

starlight
13-08-2009, 01:02
At least as Ordos players, we've had books in this *millenia*. :p

Tau are not next, nor after next, nor after after next... *sigh*

Sgt. Straker
13-08-2009, 02:05
Whist I donít think these means that GW have forgotten about DE, it dose mean with all the work that needed for a new codex and let not forget the entire new model line (add in the move to plastics and the production complications) that the other races are much easer prospects. Whist they in turn keep a greater population of the gaming community happy. That why we have so many SM dexís since all you need is a hand full of themed model and a few other odds and ends with some rule tweaks and you got your self a new release. The DE on the other hand need a monumental effort in comparison.

Ah, but you dismiss the idea of GW focusing resources to create what could possibly be their next big 'franchise.' Ork stuff seems to sell well, SM stuff sells very well, so why wouldn't they invest resources into making something else that might sell very well?

With DE, they have a built-in fanbase, historical context, substantial storyline, and the ability to redesign them from the ground up into the "next big thing" due to the 10 year gap.

DE could very well be the new Tau. :cool:

ehlijen
13-08-2009, 02:56
With DE, they have a built-in fanbase, historical context, substantial storyline, and the ability to redesign them from the ground up into the "next big thing" due to the 10 year gap.

What codex doesn't have an inbuilt fanbase or a substantial, as you put it, story line? And do remember that the ability to redesign them from the ground up is a double edged sword: what if the so called inbuilt fanbase does not like that redesign?

I'm not saying the dark eldar shouldn't get done, just that doing so will be a risk for GW. And that risk will get bigger and bigger the longer they wait, of course. They need to make a new codex and revamp an entire model line. And all that without upsetting their existing fans and their models.

The Orange
13-08-2009, 02:59
GW does not seem to be "that" fond of tau.

Contrary to what you may believe Tau are/were a very popular army and the likely reason they got a 2nd codex so quick (with a minor update as you pointed out) was simply to cash in. This was years ago (just before the release of the 2nd codex), but a friend of my working a GW told me as a fact that Tau were the fastest growing xenos army (sales wise). Anecdotaly I remember when the 2nd codex came out, the large limited battleforce boxes they sold were sold out 1st day of release at my local hobby shops (and I'm talking about 2 GW stores and one independent withing 30min. driving distance). Eldar came out of that and the independent store had at least one of those limited army boxes sitting around for a few months. So yes, GW are actually quite fond of the Tau, their a good money maker. TBH I'm afraid of this too as (like you pointed out with the 1st codex) they may try to cash in again and simply thow out another half arsed book.

Even though I love my Tau army I seriously hope they aren't re-released before DE and Necrons. Both armies need and seem to be getting a great amount of time for development so I'd expect to get some grade A armies when they come out, and hopefully they'll do the same with Tau. If instead GW just shovels out another half arsed codex for Tau and just throw a few more scanned Forgeworld models and call them "new", well that'll really **** me off to say the least.

shaso_iceborn
13-08-2009, 03:05
The Tau are not the next Xenos codex, though they are quickly coming up on their mark.

I would love to see the swordfish make it into the codex I have a converted one in these pics

Troah
13-08-2009, 03:15
if Tau get done before Dark Eldar I will freak on GW, that is all I have to say.

I don't mind which one comes out first. They're both my only 40k armies so. ^_^
Mmmm...though I've been told that both are very hard to begin with....No wonder I lose all the time. :D

fox-hound
13-08-2009, 03:57
I wish GW would release TAU and DE at the same time, they could make background where the TAU and DE have a massive crusade thing and they could even make a limited boxed set like black reach as a promotion. But this is very unlikely.(sigh)

kazkal
13-08-2009, 03:59
With how anti tau 40k is I still think other armys deserve it first like Dark Eldar and Necrons...Only if they would stop pumping out chapter codex's....

I wish GW would release TAU and DE at the same time, they could make background where the TAU and DE have a massive crusade thing and they could even make a limited boxed set like black reach as a promotion. But this is very unlikely.(sigh)

With them charging us more to give us a higher quality product you think they would do that....

Hokiecow
13-08-2009, 17:48
GW is not that savvy to coordinate changes to the website in anticipation of future releases. They are slowly putting the content from the old site and WD articles on the site.

Charistoph
13-08-2009, 18:24
One point that I read elsewhere, was that Tau would be relatively easy to set up a new codex, as the model line doesn't need a lot of work, the rules need the most work. It would also give them more time to finish the DE models.

fox-hound
13-08-2009, 18:29
One point that I read elsewhere, was that Tau would be relatively easy to set up a new codex, as the model line doesn't need a lot of work, the rules need the most work. It would also give them more time to finish the DE models.

Yeah, a lot of people think that.

Sgt. Straker
13-08-2009, 20:22
What codex doesn't have an inbuilt fanbase or a substantial, as you put it, story line? And do remember that the ability to redesign them from the ground up is a double edged sword: what if the so called inbuilt fanbase does not like that redesign?

I was speaking in terms of Update vs New Race. At this point, DE have the rare oppurtunity to be both.

I'm not saying the dark eldar shouldn't get done, just that doing so will be a risk for GW. And that risk will get bigger and bigger the longer they wait, of course. They need to make a new codex and revamp an entire model line. And all that without upsetting their existing fans and their models.

Actually, I think the risk lessens each year. Each year the fanbase dwindles a bit, the lack of updates drives away new players to that army, and the general stagnation pushes their storylines and background out of the minds of all players.

They can make DE into an entirely new race at this point, and the only ones that would notice the difference would be the (relatively) small base of players still using them -- and even then, they could afford to lose those players and make money by putting DE in a new direction.

burning crome
13-08-2009, 21:26
Actually, I think the risk lessens each year. Each year the fanbase dwindles a bit, the lack of updates drives away new players to that army, and the general stagnation pushes their storylines and background out of the minds of all players.

They can make DE into an entirely new race at this point, and the only ones that would notice the difference would be the (relatively) small base of players still using them -- and even then, they could afford to lose those players and make money by putting DE in a new direction.

I completely agree. Also in answer the new model have to fit the old. If you look at most (SM and guard are a bit of a exceptions) other race. Their a very few models over ten years old that match the existing range or codex in terms of armament. Yes you can see the evolution though the in some cases multiple re-releases, and still recognise them and there successors. So ye in every other case a new codex try to introduce new units and reconfigure the old with the minimum disruption. But who many army that you put together ten year ago could you even legal field now! The DE are sort of a blank slate plus when it finally get released exiting DE players will be on the most part so grateful that they want mind complete over hauls of their lists.