PDA

View Full Version : Best unit?

guillimansknight
13-08-2009, 00:02
What do you is the best close combat ELITE unit available to the marines?(Spiky, non spiky and allies)

See poll and discuss

And I haven't put in chapter specifics because the damn poll went up prematurely

Dr. Hellbeast
13-08-2009, 00:03
What do you is the best close combat ELITE unit available to the marines?(Spiky, non spiky and allies)

See poll and discuss

Death Company.

the1stpip
13-08-2009, 00:12
Wyches, Ork Nob Bikers, Carnifexes, there is a vast list of others who could easily take the award.

iluvatar18
13-08-2009, 00:13
First he said Marines, and last I checked marines can't take Carnifexes...

Also, he should change the wording to best terminators, not elites, otherwise I would have voted sternguard.

Out of the choices, I say normal terminators. Can you say 3++?

guillimansknight
13-08-2009, 00:20
First he said Marines, and last I checked marines can't take Carnifexes...

Also, he should change the wording to best terminators, not elites, otherwise I would have voted sternguard.

Out of the choices, I say normal terminators. Can you say 3++?

A) close combat and B) possessed are in there

weirdo2590
13-08-2009, 00:24
Death company are good the only thing that stops them being insane is lack of power weapons and the rending nerf, but clearly wolf guard terminators are better. They get the tastey 3+ invulnerable save curtesy of the parent marine codex and wolf charms for re-roll combined with a wolf priest giving them feel no pain and ignoring the first unsaved wound each phase, they're pretty much the most survivable.

guillimansknight
13-08-2009, 02:54
Death company are good the only thing that stops them being insane is lack of power weapons and the rending nerf, but clearly wolf guard terminators are better. They get the tastey 3+ invulnerable save curtesy of the parent marine codex and wolf charms for re-roll combined with a wolf priest giving them feel no pain and ignoring the first unsaved wound each phase, they're pretty much the most survivable.

bring on the gifts of chaos (EeeeKK!)

Master Shake
13-08-2009, 03:01
Penal legion....

I've never had them fail to make their points. With knife fighters, they can shred a Carnifex in close combat.

hawo0313
13-08-2009, 03:13
I'm gunna go grey knights cause you can pack psycannons to take out those annoying units with invulnerable saves and keep your strength 6 power waepons that hit everything else in that list on a 3+ and have true grit but they are a bit more expensive best for points i'd say Death company but did get nerfed in the last ed

Scorcher505
13-08-2009, 03:15
Blood Angel Veteran Assault Squad. Can give em anything and they destroy

Ork
13-08-2009, 04:13
Most definitely Black Templar Terminator Assault Squads.

Furious Charge + Preferred Enemy + Lightening Claws.

Nothing else even comes close.

kazkal
13-08-2009, 04:14
No Seer Council listed?

'Oooo marines only :P I'll go with Black Templar Termys too...

MALICIOUS LOGIC
13-08-2009, 04:48
Close Combat Elite: Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield Terminators are devastating and probably the best that a Marine can do. Point for point they are just awesome.

Additionally, you can have Pedro nearby for +1 attack and Stubborn. Run Vulkan and your Thunder Hammers will be master-crafted.

That being said... I'm not a fan of close combat terminators. They are awesome if they get into melee. But a good opponent can deal with them (i.e. out manouver, tie them up, shoot them down, etc. etc.) Plus, it will likely take a couple turns for them to get into melee; they will probably win; then spend another turn or two tring to get to the next squad... Not that efficient.

Summary: They are great at melee. But they are a little slow and they're one dimentional (no shooting). A good opponent can shut them down.

~Logic

Gorgoroth
13-08-2009, 08:05
Venerable dread in drop pod with all upgrades. Or same again but with ironclad.

oh yeah.

genestealer_baldric
13-08-2009, 08:31
wolf guard teminators, or wulfun and death company.

Cheesecat
13-08-2009, 08:39
Ork nobz are the best. waaagh!!!

Vaktathi
13-08-2009, 08:42
Amongst space marines, in terms of cost efficiency and raw killy potential, I'd say Chaos terminators can take the cake. Khornate Terminator Champions with LC's dumping out 6 attacks each on a charge that reroll wounds are pretty boss, and even the basic CSM terminator with just 3 attacks and a normal power weapon on a charge is still extremely killy.

StormWulfen
13-08-2009, 08:45
chaos terminators, all with lightning claws, all champions, all have 5 attacks on the charge with re-rolls to wound.

thats gonna hurt!!

Petay1985
13-08-2009, 08:51
Death Company hands down, they are certainly the most devastating elite unit i have come across!!

Galatan
13-08-2009, 09:54
Wolf guard. In both terminator and power armour form. They can be a complete army. Give them all wolf charm's and wolf tooth necklace and they have free reign in weapons choice. Extremely flexible and the SW special rules are still awesome.

kazkal
13-08-2009, 11:10
Well depends I guess Chaos Terminators are awesome but Black Templars

Reroll Wounds,Rerolled Fail Hits if they get the charge I:5 with no armor saves...Khorne may get more attacks but if they don't get the charge their gonna die...

itcamefromthedeep
13-08-2009, 11:29
Conventional interwebs say Ironclad Dreadnought.

Inach
13-08-2009, 11:50
Overall elites: Fiends

Marines: Ironclad Dreadnought

StormWulfen
13-08-2009, 12:52
chaos terminators, all with lightning claws, all champions, all have 5 attacks on the charge with re-rolls to wound.

thats gonna hurt!!

forgot to add, icon of khorne gives them 6 attacks on the charge! 10 of them will make a mess of your death company:skull:

Nicha11
13-08-2009, 13:17
Grey Knight Terminators.

The single most elite and badass unit in the game! I recentley faced 9 in a retinue lead by a force weapon toting grand master.
I know its not the most point efficient method but if they get into combat they dominate anythin they touch.

TheEndIsHere
13-08-2009, 14:18
Close Combat Elite: Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield Terminators are devastating and probably the best that a Marine can do. Point for point they are just awesome.

Additionally, you can have Pedro nearby for +1 attack and Stubborn. Run Vulkan and your Thunder Hammers will be master-crafted.

Pariahs are widely accepted as the worst unit in the necron codex, one of the weaker codecii of 5th edition.

I'm sure point for point, Paraiahs are better.

D-End

Hood
13-08-2009, 15:00
Most definitely Black Templar Terminator Assault Squads.

Furious Charge + Preferred Enemy + Lightening Claws.

Nothing else even comes close.

Amen to that... Drop in 1-2 thunderhammers in a squad and you can bring down anything.

Bolter Bait
13-08-2009, 15:56
Ignore me.

weirdo2590
13-08-2009, 17:09
What do you is the best close combat ELITE unit available to the marines?

Bolded for your convinience. Do try to read people :p

Templar_Seer
13-08-2009, 18:58
I'm surprised GK Termis are doing so well. Black Templar Termis with Furious Charge and LCs will maul them. Better chance of hitting, better chance of wounding and if they get the charge well then it's not even a contest.

AFnord
13-08-2009, 19:12
Point per point I would say TH/SS terminators, they are nasty, in particular if they are transported.

Black templar terminators/chaos terminators with khorne, champion and lightning claws are both very nasty options, but point per point, i find TH/SS terminators to be better. Not faced GK terminators, so I won't say anything about them.

Death company marines are great for their point cost, i.e. free, and devastating in close combat!

Templar_Seer
13-08-2009, 19:15
SM Assault Termis are only 3 points cheaper than BT Termis with Furious Charge who would also beat SM Termis.

Turok117
13-08-2009, 20:16
I'm gunna go grey knights cause you can pack psycannons to take out those annoying units with invulnerable saves and keep your strength 6 power waepons that hit everything else in that list on a 3+ and have true grit but they are a bit more expensive best for points i'd say Death company but did get nerfed in the last ed

GK termies don't have true grit...

Personally I think that the 3++ saves rock for normal termies, but I'm voting grey knight termies because they are awesome, because they still strike at initiative and have good chances of hitting when compared to other choices from the poll.

elite_dannux
13-08-2009, 22:17
50 Guardsmen with 5 Commissars +5 Sergeants with powerweapons. 3 Meltaguns, 2 Flamers, 5 Autocannons, Vox and a Priest. Close to Straken/Creed.

Expensive: Yes
Useful: Yes

Can beat most units in the game in both shooting/CC. If they get to charge they get 40 S4 reroll to hit powerweapon attacks + alot of regular attacks. Melta/Flamer/Atocannons so that they can counter any threat.

StormWulfen
14-08-2009, 15:30
but their not elite?

also 10 khornate terminator champions will destroy them with 60 attacks on the charge, lightning claws to re-roll wounds, bye bye gaurdsmen;)

itcamefromthedeep
14-08-2009, 19:31
50 Guardsmen with 5 Commissars +5 Sergeants with powerweapons. 3 Meltaguns, 2 Flamers, 5 Autocannons, Vox and a Priest. Close to Straken/Creed.

Expensive: Yes
Useful: Yes

Can beat most units in the game in both shooting/CC. If they get to charge they get 40 S4 reroll to hit powerweapon attacks + alot of regular attacks. Melta/Flamer/Atocannons so that they can counter any threat.

You might want to add melta bombs on the Sergeants so that you can fight an Ironclad Dreadnought.

Shadowlance
10-09-2009, 14:11
Grey knights

fluff ultimate factor:d