PDA

View Full Version : Themed Daemons

Minigiant
13-08-2009, 08:28
Ive been wanting to build a chaos daemon army for some time now but have never found the inspiration until now

A vampire & Daemon alliance p29 date: 2253

Quote "Somewhere in the depths of the mountains of mourn, the vampire mangari the old unearths a gemstone crown allowing him to commune with the great god Tzeentch. The Vampire Strikes a pact with the Great Sorcerer. For the next century combined armies of daemons and the undead assail Ogre and Chaos Dwarf strongholds."

So Im going to be building a Daemons of Chaos Army with a mixture of VC and Daemon Units. I will mixing the units up to portray a more united front rather than not mixing them and making them end up looking like a collection of models instead. I can see No problem in using named characters can you?
After along time thinking i decided that Mangori is proberly either a Von Carstein or Blood dragon Vampire

mixing units

Bloodletters- Graveguard?
Daemonettes- ?
Plaguebearers- Zombies
Horrors- Crypt Ghouls
Furies- Carrion

Flesh hounds- Wolves
Screamers- Fell bats
Nurglings- ?
Seekers- ?

Bloodcrushers- Blood knights
Beast of Nurgle- ?
Fiends of slaanesh- ?
Flamers- Banshees

Chariots- Black coach
Palaquin- Corpse cart?

As you can see Vampire counts have very little that resembles Slaanesh except for the herald

So I started writing up a 2k List and the only restrictions the theme set is a Lord of Change and either a Tzeentch Herald or a Khorne Herald
Have you got any suggestions on how to get the best out of the army by using these models, i'm not looking for cheese just a variety of gods that still makes a capable army on the board

So what do you think?

ARabidNun
13-08-2009, 10:10
It sounds like a great idea, but is there enough in the army fluff to shake out everything you need? My only concern with it may be a little confusing for your opponent to visualize a VC unit using rules for a demon unit (if that is what you are implying, I may not have understood completely).

I do like the idea of having VC units fighting alongside Demon units but your challenge is finding units that will "fit". If you already know what units you will use from the DoC book then why not take a majority of Demons that are difficult to "replace" and use them with the VC? As you mentioned, the demon contacted was Tzeentch so I would suggest Tzeentch demons and support with VC "Nurgle" troops. If I remember right, the fluff in the DoC book does not support a great relationship between Khorne and Tzeentch.

The VC and Nurgle troops (zombies, ghouls, plaguebearers etc.) are great conversion elements since they are so closely linked (rotting, maggot filled corpses).

If you are looking to avoid alot of conversions to start, then Khorne would work great with the Blood Dragons and Graveguard.

The Red Scourge
13-08-2009, 11:06
Get your bases right. Thats the most important part, and why using bloodcrushers as blood knights is probably a bad idea :)

Minigiant
13-08-2009, 14:06
Thanks for all the help so far

Im going to be mixing the races in units so zombies will fight shoulder to shoulder with plaguebearers this clears up confusion for my opponent as here will always be the actual daemon in the unit

ARabidNun
13-08-2009, 14:23
I agree that mixing the units will help to avoid some confusion.

I think it's funny to imagine facing a unit where the zombies (S2 T2) now have Plaguebearer stats lol. I believe that if you wanted to field a full unit of "this represents that" then as long as your opponent was aware of it it may make for a better theme, but yes still cause some confusion :/ awkward.

Anyways, the zombies will give you alot of options for converting to fit with the plaguebearers and as long as they resemble the proposed unit, and avoid confusion with other units, than you should be fine.

Minigiant
14-08-2009, 08:54
So how would other people go about putting this them into there army?

Fenrir
14-08-2009, 09:24
My deamons are themed. Themed around winning.

Braad
14-08-2009, 09:24
When I read the bit of fluff you put in there, I think I would do it completely different, and something like the following:

First, ask my opponent if he minds me mixing up two armybooks.

Then, since the fluff talks about Zteentch, only take zteentch models.

I would also try to find out a bit more what happens in the mountains of mourn, and what kind of place that is.

I would also make some restrictions on what vampire models to use. Maybe something like "no skeletons" and go with only things like zombies, ghouls... A mountainous area with the name 'mourn' makes me think of some kind of deserted place, with forests and stuff. So few places with human graves, thus maybe it would be interesting to convert other creatures of the forest as zombies. Or maybe include some kind of ogre-zombie as you say they did battle upon those. Maybe even come up with some rules of your own for these, if you haven't got any other suitable rules-sets.
Maybe Strigoi stuff would fit in wel here. Or that sewn together character mount...

Is this helpfell? Or am I straying too much from your original idea?

Minigiant
14-08-2009, 09:36
First, ask my opponent if he minds me mixing up two armybooks.

Im going to try not give them that choice as this means i will have to effectively buy 2 armies, and im not mixing up 2 armybook rules just the selection of models

but the rest you said is definately something to take into consideration

mrtn
14-08-2009, 10:36
My first thought was that it would be better to use the undead rules, with some tzeentch units as "counts as". Screamers as giant bats, horrors as wights, maybe a flamer as a banshee. That sounds better than trying to find an undead counts as for the daemon units that aren't tzeentchian in the first place.

ARabidNun
14-08-2009, 10:38
Braad has a good point about the mountain theme, but I would feel hat if it so close to the chaos wastes that it would not have any "forest" persay but be more desolate with dead, creepy plants, charred earth, lava etc. Sort of like the landscape in the LoTR final movie just before the volcano.

The ogres would be great. Maybe for the beasts of Nurgle with something to emphasis poisonous.

I still support trying to keep the army themed around Tzeentch and Nurgle, as Tzeentch will give you alot of access to good, fast units and Nurgle with disease and decay for difficult combat units. These mixed with some models from VC would give some character. I might suggest using at least half of the models in a unit as the representative model for the unit to avoid any "complications" with other players.

A few additional ideas: Snotling undead (painted pale green with lots of gore) for nurglings.
A Ogre conversion with Tzeentch or Nurgle mutations for a daemonic prince.
The Lord of Change as himself :)
I would also recommend buying a couple of boxes of the plastic spawn kit for extra bits and have some fun with some conversions.

If you feel adventerous enough, maybe trying some conversions for zombie Chaos Dwarves :) Or look into some of the old models on ebay such as bull centaur zombies for seekers.

Minigiant
14-08-2009, 22:09
I might suggest using at least half of the models in a unit as the representative model for the unit to avoid any "complications" with other players.

This was my original idea, i should have tried making this more clear

A mountainous area with the name 'mourn' makes me think of some kind of deserted place

Yeah ive been working on practises bases at the moment rying to get that sort of feel

Im working on an army list at the moment hope to post one up soon

Any more opinions?

ARabidNun
16-08-2009, 08:28
Just remember that Tzeentch is the lord of change, and therefore mutations (so lots of conversion opportunities). Nurgle is the lord of decay, so lots of rotting, disgusting things. I think with these and some models from VC you can create some unity between the two.

You were planning to create/ paint a vampire model to represent a special character Mangari? Perhaps for your herald.

Simply putting some mutations such as horns and extra limbs on zombie models will let them fit better with plaguebearers and represent their exposure to the forces of Chaos. (In fact since I am still slowly starting a nurgle army I may use some of these ideas :) ) Don't forget to equip them with some sort of rusty weapon to "fit" better with the plaguebearers.

Minigiant
16-08-2009, 08:53
You were planning to create/ paint a vampire model to represent a special character Mangari? Perhaps for your herald.

Yep and is going to be a herald of tzeentch with winger horror because i loved the winged vampire lord so much. It will have some conversions on like the gemstone crown

Simply putting some mutations such as horns and extra limbs on zombie models will let them fit better with plaguebearers and represent their exposure to the forces of Chaos. (In fact since I am still slowly starting a nurgle army I may use some of these ideas ) Don't forget to equip them with some sort of rusty weapon to "fit" better with the plaguebearers.

Oh definately they will look realy cool when finished im thinking of giving some 1 eye to represent nurgle rot setting in

Browncastle
17-08-2009, 00:47
For Kairos you could convert a zombie dragon, without rider, and some kind of robe.

HereticLosMorte
17-08-2009, 20:38
Ive been wanting to build a chaos daemon army for some time now but have never found the inspiration until now

A vampire & Daemon alliance p29 date: 2253

Quote "Somewhere in the depths of the mountains of mourn, the vampire mangari the old unearths a gemstone crown allowing him to commune with the great god Tzeentch. The Vampire Strikes a pact with the Great Sorcerer. For the next century combined armies of daemons and the undead assail Ogre and Chaos Dwarf strongholds."

So Im going to be building a Daemons of Chaos Army with a mixture of VC and Daemon Units. I will mixing the units up to portray a more united front rather than not mixing them and making them end up looking like a collection of models instead. I can see No problem in using named characters can you?
After along time thinking i decided that Mangori is proberly either a Von Carstein or Blood dragon Vampire

mixing units

Bloodletters- Graveguard?
Daemonettes- ?
Plaguebearers- Zombies
Horrors- Crypt Ghouls
Furies- Carrion

Flesh hounds- Wolves
Screamers- Fell bats
Nurglings- ? bat swarms?
Seekers- ? black knights?

Bloodcrushers- Blood knights
Beast of Nurgle- ?
Fiends of slaanesh- ? vargulf?
Flamers- Banshees

Chariots- Black coach
Palaquin- Corpse cart?

As you can see Vampire counts have very little that resembles Slaanesh except for the herald

So I started writing up a 2k List and the only restrictions the theme set is a Lord of Change and either a Tzeentch Herald or a Khorne Herald
Have you got any suggestions on how to get the best out of the army by using these models, i'm not looking for cheese just a variety of gods that still makes a capable army on the board

So what do you think?

could work, might be a little confusing

Minigiant
17-08-2009, 20:47
vargulf count as fiends is interesting i was thinkin about making it plagueridden so count as beast of nurgle

daa6
18-08-2009, 04:41
Like the idea.....

As the only thing that is "Living" is really the Vampire (for that side of the Army), he could perhaps split his/her spell choice Dice between Vamp and Tzeenech Lores....

keeping the mixed units, idea... as the Undead are "Powered" by the Vampires will/magic, (Tzentch could lend a hand) and the Undead could be possessed instead, and on a 4+ the units would take their rules from the Daemon Book instead of the Undead one...... (starting the game as Undead though)

Giving your opponent a referance sheet, for what is possessed by what...

Just an idea....:)