PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Take All-comers Dwarfs (Thorek)

SabrX
13-08-2009, 07:56
HQ: 691 points
-505 Thorek Ironbrow
-96 Thane, Shield, Great Weapon, Rune of Fury
-90 BSB Thane

Cores: 466 points
-150 10X Thunderers, Shields
-120 10X Quarrellers, Shields
-196 19X Warriors, Shields, F/C

Specials: 582 points
-85 Bolt Thrower, Engineer, Rune of Penetrating
-65 Bolt Thrower, Engineer, Rune of Burning
-125 Cannon, Rune of Reloading
-95 Grudge Thrower, Engineer
-212 14X Hammerers, F/C

Rares: 260 points
-120 Organ Gun
-140 Gyrocopter

Total Points: 1999
DP: 7

Here's a list I've been thinking of for "Take All-comers" Dwarf Army. Yes I'm lacking in anti-magic, but I think 7 DP is reasonable against majority armies. My original Dwarf list packed more of a punch, but lacked volume against horde armies. I hope this list fairs well compared to my previous list.

tricker53
13-08-2009, 11:13
i presume thorek is just there for massive wrath and ruin.

with your first thane, i see no point in both shield and GW. ditch the shield and take R stone instead if you think he needs armour.

with the BSB, i think buffing is required. MR gromril and R resistance makes him rock solid.

with regards to the cannon, either your points are off or theres missing gear. perhaps you mean R forging instead of reloading? if you do mean reloading, then its only 100 pts and i would suggest an engineer as well.

with the grudge thrower, i would suggest R reloading and R burning (assuming you have R reloading on the cannon) if you take an engineer.

Quannum
13-08-2009, 12:25
Ok, as an experienced Dwarf player I can spot a few errors/weaknesses in the list that, if corrected, will boost the effectiveness incredibly:

1) First off, drop the non-BSB thane. His configuration doesn't work at the moment, as the rune negates his GW strength bonus (you need MRoKragg the Grimm to get that). Also, he will get chewed a new face in combat. Use his points to do the following...

2) Give your Grudge Thrower a RoPenetrating and RoAccuracy instead of the Engineer. A strength 5 template will ruin infantry, and the ability to re-roll give you maximum point efficiency. The engineer's bonus is utterly a waste of points.

3) Drop the RoReloading on the Cannon and replace with a RoForging and a RoBurning. The RoForging will basically insure your Cannon against misfiring or falling short. Nothing is worse than a 120+ point warmachine needing to take out a Black Coach but falling short. The RoBurning is potentially the best rune available to us points-wise. It will negate all of those annoying Regeneration saves out there.

4) Give your Hammerers a RoCourage. That way they will stubborn AND immune to fear and terror. Your unit size is perfect (two ranks of seven) to plug a flank but they WILL be outnumbered and you don't want them autobreaking when facing the myriads of fear-causing troops out there (Vampires, Daemons, Lizards, High Elves, Dark Elves).

If you make these changes, your list will be brutal.

Q

lcfr
13-08-2009, 12:45
I have to second all of Quanuum's points, though damnit do I hate that Grudgethrower.

The only thing I have to add is to boost the size of your warriors unit by about 3-4 models. You have tons of shooting but no really solid infantry blocks; your hammerers will be ok at their size since they're Stubborn, but I think you need at least one unit that can rack up static combat res.

ivrg
13-08-2009, 13:29
I would never use anvil of doom without a unit of miners.
Then give them a thane with some tooled up gear for slaying.
Hammers imo is inferior to ironbreakers. 2+ AS is better than S6 when playing dwarfs. I dont see much use for the BSB here, most of you army consists of an anvil and shooting. I would drop the grudge thrower and gyrocopter and go for more thunderders.

phoenixcrh
13-08-2009, 16:55
General.
Lord.
Thorek Ironbrow = 505.

Hero.
Thane, BSB, rune of fire, rune of stone, master rune of spite = 145.

Core Units.
*10 thunderers, shields = 150.

*10 quarrellers, shields = 120.

*19 warriors, shields, veteran = 181.

Special Units.
Bolt thrower, engineer, rune of penetrating = 85.

Bolt thrower, engineer, rune of penetrating, rune of burning = 90.

Cannon, rune of forging = 125.

Grudge thrower, rune of penetrating, rune of accuracy = 130.

*14 hammerers, shields, gate keeper, standard bearer = 206.

Rare Units.
Organ gun = 120.

Gyrocopter = 140.

= 1997.

Models 55 + 7 war machines.
PD 0, DP 7.

Try this one mate :) although I would drop the bolt throwers for more quarrellers, thunderers or warriors...

Jind_Singh
13-08-2009, 17:25
Blimey thats packing a lot of firepower!
Im not a dwarf player (I play deamons, Orcs & Goblins, now starting Empire), and thats a scary looking list.
2 solid units of troops with dreaded characters to back them up, and firepower coming out your ying-yang!!!
As an orc and goblin this list would be deadly - yah I got lots of units but they will be blown apart before they get close to your units, my characters cant touch yours - all-in-all it's a bugger of an army.
Even me deamons would be struggling to dent this list!

ARabidNun
13-08-2009, 18:25
I would also agree that list is intimidating, but other than having the hammerer unit for the strength bonus, wouldn't a unit of Longbeards be better instead to get the "old grumblers" rule or is the stubborn to provide a solid core unit?

Drop the bolt throwers for more units? I think you miss the point of having Thorek and the rune of wrath and ruin. To slow down the opponent units so you can shoot at them more and soften them up for the warriors and hammerers.

phoenixcrh
13-08-2009, 18:50
General.
Lord.
Thorek Ironbrow = 505.

Hero.
Thane, BSB, rune of fire, rune of stone, master rune of spite = 145.

Core Units.
*10 quarrellers, shields = 120.

*10 thunderers, shields = 150.

*23 warriors, shields, veteran = 217. (6*4)

Special Units.
Cannon, rune of forging = 125.

Grudge thrower, rune of penetrating, rune of accuracy = 130.

Bolt thrower, engineer, rune of penetrating, rune of burning = 90.

*18 hammerers, shields, gate keeper, standard bearer = 258. (6*3)

Rare Units.
Organ gun = 120.

Gyrocopter = 140.

= 2000.

Models 63 + 6 war machines.
PD 0, DP 7.

You could try this for some more numbers?

lcfr
13-08-2009, 19:48
Hammers imo is inferior to ironbreakers. 2+ AS is better than S6 when playing dwarfs.

GWs on Hammerers are almost 'bonus weapons' that never need to be used; running Hammerers in cc w/2hws and shields means that for the same cost as IBs you have a unit that is only losing out on +1 to its armour save but gaining the benefits of Stubborn, an optional GW and, when a Lord is present, immunity to Fear and Terror.

ivrg
14-08-2009, 07:32
When i played dwarfs my list looked much like yours. But i then started to make my shooting units 15 man strong and give them shields. In this way they can rank up when an enemy is close and fight in close combat. All they miss compared to regular warriors is -1 worse AS. So i dropped the usual warriors and just went for shooting.

The reason i recomen mines is because you will use them with the movement spell from the anvil. First they come and march in and then in the shooting phase you throw that rune and the can charge unit of chaos knights from behind. Smack! no enoying flankers that otherwise is a problem for dwarfs. And a here with correct weapon can even slay a monster with S8, dont remeber the name of the rune. And when your opponent knows about this tactic you will be able to "control" his setup because he fears your miners.

I have seen my hammers been shoot or hacked to pieces several times. If you just want a reg that stands up to the enemy and dont breaks i would go for slayers.

Quannum
14-08-2009, 08:08
I would never use anvil of doom without a unit of miners.
Then give them a thane with some tooled up gear for slaying.
Hammers imo is inferior to ironbreakers. 2+ AS is better than S6 when playing dwarfs. I dont see much use for the BSB here, most of you army consists of an anvil and shooting. I would drop the grudge thrower and gyrocopter and go for more thunderders.

Ok I'm sorry and I don't mean to flame, but don't do any of the above. These tactics would work wonders in 6th edition but not against the 7th edition powerhouses where your key to winning is controlling the enemy advancing towards your gunline. Hammerers are way way superior to Ironbreakers but you still need to find a way to give them a Rune of Courage. That way, they'll hold up a unit for at least three turns.

Your latest list is actually the weakest of the three now. Drop the Hammerers back down to 14 with Full Command and Rune of Courage on the standard bearer. Then put the second Bolt Thrower back. Your BSB is taking up too many points for what you will actually be using him for. I'd consider dropping the entire unit of Warriors and replacing with some more missile troops (Thunderers or Quarrellers) and equipping your BSB with the MRoGrungi covering the entire missile section. Stick your Hammerers on one flank, use Thorek to slow down the other flank, and blast away the centre with EVERYTHING ELSE.

Q

SabrX
16-08-2009, 09:26
Sorry, I've been on the road for a while and haven't had time to log in.

@tricker53: Yes, it's a typo, the Cannon is supposed to have Rune of Forging (hence the points costs) not Reloading. :rolleyes:. And Thorek is there because he's ideal for "Take All-comers list whether I'm up against horde or fear/terror causing units. I love Thorek :D

@Quannum and phoenixcrh: Thank you both for your comments and wisdom. They are greatly helpful and I look forward to testing both or your lists in the weeks to come now that I'll have a bit of free time. :)