PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of chaos 1k, any good?

Mullitron
13-08-2009, 16:41
As the foundations for a potential 2k or larger list. Basic idear is the warriors get into combat asap marching down the centre, the knights take flank are protected by their save, mark and the hounds. Whilst the sorcerer flies around and fires magic at anything that may give them trouble. Just a first attempt iam aware that its small but i like my elite armies. Any advice/suggestion or comments would be great thanks.

sorcerer
mark of tzeentch
level 2
disk of tzeentch
enchanted shield
golden eye of tzeentch

12 warriors
mok
Halberd
standard
musician
shields

12 warriors
mok
Halberd
standard
musician
shields

5 chaos warhounds

5 chaos knights
standard
musican
mon

Total: 994

Unuhexium
13-08-2009, 16:48
Looks solid.

You can't really do much with WoC at 1k pts, but i reckon this army has most of what you're looking for. Your sorcerer will be a pain in the a** to counter as long as you don't put him in front of massed shooting.

bullshiz20
13-08-2009, 18:49
are you playing the sorcerer by himself or pairing him up with a squad?

Mullitron
13-08-2009, 18:54
are you playing the sorcerer by himself or pairing him up with a squad?

By himself, he will fly around and mainly use flickering fire of tzeentch, iam hoping that his mobilty combined from the 1+ save and the 3+ ward from shooting will keep it alive.

bullshiz20
13-08-2009, 19:18
Maybe you should try to flank with him because if he's a tzeentch than he's better at combat

Perigrine
13-08-2009, 23:11
just remember though that the sorcer has to issue challenges if able like all other chaos heros so if your plan for him is to be flying around shooting the pew pew, make sure of your range else youll be stuck with him fighting challenges.

Kalec
14-08-2009, 06:05
The sorcerer will accomplish nothing. With 4 pd and just two spells, he will rarely cast anything of consequence. An exalted on a disc would serve you much better.

Mullitron
14-08-2009, 08:50
The sorcerer will accomplish nothing. With 4 pd and just two spells, he will rarely cast anything of consequence. An exalted on a disc would serve you much better.

Is a single level 2 in a game this size of game not that effective then? Main reason i chose a tzeentch sorcerer is because i like the model and i intend on a having a tzeentch demon prince when i expand to larger games. I thought it be fun to have the same character lead my army when he was a 'mere mortal'.

Unuhexium
14-08-2009, 09:13
Magicwise you'll be pretty evenly matched with most other armies at this level. Logicaly you should get atleast one spell off per turn with your four PD vs your opponents (usually) three DD. This might not be enough to make the sorcerer worth his points. Another way of looking at it is that while your sorcerer will do little against another army led by a caster, you're simultaneously preventing the enemy caster from doing anything constructive... or should we say DEstructive. ;)

You can either go with Kalecs idea and get a fighty guy on a disc or drop a bit of the protection from your sorcerer in favour of Book of Secrets and try to out-magic your opponent. The book can be a nasty surprise since it gives you one extra PD and lets you cast spells you normaly haven't got access to.

Not sure what bullshiz20 means, but I'd advise _against_ sending a Tzeentch sorcerer into melee even if it's a flank. His unit strength is too low to negate ranks and while he's three times as fighty as any other lv 2 caster in the game he's no match for properly armed meleetroops. What you can also do is give him a Sword of Might and an Enchanted Shield (yes, this is actually possible) to make him a hybrid, but that's not really a good idea since he won't be exceptionally good at anything

Mercutius
14-08-2009, 09:34
In my last 1k battle I had good experience with an level2 caster with the book of secrets and an 'honunculus'(?) that also add one power dice every round. Gives you 6PD and three spells. Thats a strong magic phase for 1000 points, I think :-).

Unuhexium
14-08-2009, 09:43
The Conjoined Homonculus does NOT add a PD. It allows you to add 1D3 to the castingresult and thus maybe push a failed cast to a success. You're probably refering to a Power Familiar. Don't make the mistake of confusing those as they're vastly different. And yes, 6 PD (lv 2, book and familiar) is pretty strong for 1k pts.

Personally I'm a fan of the Homonculus since you don't have to use it untill you know if the cast succeded or not.

Mercutius
14-08-2009, 09:56
Sorry for the confusion, I haven't got the Army Book in front of me, I just ment the item/whatever what gives an additional PD. Sorry if it was not the homunculus! :-).
Yes, strong magic phase, on the other hand you have to give up most other options, because that two 'items' ( :-) ) fullfill already the 50 point limit :-).

Mullitron
14-08-2009, 10:16
Well iam aware he wont do lots of damage on the opponent with magic, however due to the mark of tzeentch i can get flickering fire off on a 3+ which means i have quite a good chance of casting it with 1 dice leaving me 3 dice to cast its second spell with quite a good chance to get it off, unless its call to glory or gateway. The two spells against the few dispel dice most armies at this will have hopefully will be able to weaken or remove elements of the enemy army that may hinder my combat units, ie flyers war machines.

selone
14-08-2009, 13:56
Seems a decent army, though I'd consider dropping one of the units of 12 warriors for something else. Another unit of knights, marauder horsemen, war hounds, marauders etc. 4 PD isn't that much yes but you shouldn't be facing much DD.

BTW can a chaos sorceror take an enchanted shield? I thought you had to be able to take the normal item to take the magic item.

Unuhexium
14-08-2009, 14:13
Selone, yes they can. Page 106 in the WoC armybook and further specified on page 2 WoC-FAQ.

mr_vespa
14-08-2009, 16:53
Chaos Sorcerers can wear magic armour and use magic shields while retaining the ability to cast their spells. Combined with the fact that they share the baseline stats of the powerful Chaos Warriors, they can make pretty good hybrid mage/fighters. Considering this is 1k, a lone level 2 Wizard is enough to get at least 1 spell off, considering opposing armies might not be packing substantial magic defense.

Anywho, you could always drop a unit of Warriors in favor of a block of Marauders to serve as a multi-purpose unit. With MoK and Great Weapons (I mean, cmon, flails fail with Marauders on foot now, same pt cost!), they can be a cheap and effective way to deliver Str 5 hits. A block of 18 (6x3) could be nice, allowing you to add naked warhounds for screening purposes and maybe filling in a few spots in your Warrior unit. Maybe a Warbanner with your warriors? Or with enough saved pts adding in a Khorne Exalted Champion with fury of the blood god for spell protection? Quite a few simple add-ons, they only depend on your imagination :D

Kalec
14-08-2009, 17:54
Well iam aware he wont do lots of damage on the opponent with magic, however due to the mark of tzeentch i can get flickering fire off on a 3+ which means i have quite a good chance of casting it with 1 dice leaving me 3 dice to cast its second spell with quite a good chance to get it off, unless its call to glory or gateway. The two spells against the few dispel dice most armies at this will have hopefully will be able to weaken or remove elements of the enemy army that may hinder my combat units, ie flyers war machines.

He probably will be able to. An exalted on a disc with a flail and the golden eye and roar can do the same, but hits much harder in combat and doesn't run the risk of miscasting and costs about the same.

selone
14-08-2009, 17:56
I'm aware they come with chaos armour ;) Didn't read the FAQ though if I'm honest. is then a 1+ armour save and golden eye really necessary?