PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Lizard lists - 2 lists...what should I play?

Time of Madness
13-08-2009, 17:00
I'm debating getting back into Lizardmen and am wanting to create a solid list. Here are the two options I'm looking at currently.

Slann Led List

CHARACTERS

Slann (general + bsb)
- Focus Mystery
- Focused Rumination
- Bane Head
- Cupped Hands
= 410pts

Skink Priest
- Level 2
- Engine of the Gods
- Dispel Scroll
- Plaque of Tepok
= 430pts

CORE

18 Saurus
- Full Command
- Spears
= 246pts

10 Skink Skrimishers
= 70pts

10 Skink Skrimishers
= 70pts

SPECIAL

16 Temple Guard
- Full Command
= 291pts

3 Kroxigors
= 165pts

3 Kroxigors
= 165pts

RARE

Salamander
= 75pts

Salamander
= 75pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1997pts

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Southlands List

CHARACTERS

Skink Chief (General)
- Ancient Stegadon
- Spear/shield
- Stegadon Helm
= 386pts

Skink Priest
- Level 2
- Engine of The Gods
- Dispel Scroll
- Diadem of Power
= 440pts

CORE

16 Skink Cohort
- Standard/musician
- 2 Kroxigors
= 204pts

16 Skink Cohort
- Standard/musician
- 2 Kroxigors
= 204pts

10 Skink Skrimishers
= 70pts

10 Skink Skrimishers
= 70pts

SPECIAL

5 Chameleon Skinks
= 60pts

3 Terradons
= 90pts

3 Terradons
= 90pts

Stegadon
= 235pts

RARE

Salamander
= 75pts

Salamander
= 75pts

TOTAL POINTS = 1999pts

So as you can see I have two very separate lists here and am having a hard time deciding what to play. Anyone want to help me out.
Time of Madness

Troah
13-08-2009, 17:06
Why do people call them Skink cohorts? Skinkxigors sound so much better!
The first list looks more solid to me, minus the two units of 3 Kroxigor. They seem to, in my opinion, work better when in the Skink units. For a better hammer unit you could drop the 6 Kroxigor and bring 5 Cold One Calvary and if there's enough points a warmachine hunter. you can make a nice Scar-Vet with a great weapon, shield, and Jaguar Charm for about 121 points I believe?

for the second list I would drop the normal Stegadon and get a lot more core skinks. Normal Stegadons seem to not work very well, you can never hit anything with the bow and you already have two Stegadons. So I say more filling instead of the icing.

Cormorant
14-08-2009, 01:45
I actually think the first list is very solid as is. I dont like Southlands lists as they are very fragile and heavy magic/shooting lists eat them alive. Definitely go with the Slann list.

I would leave the Kroxigors as they are, they make nice hammer units and AMAZING flank support to the Stubborn Temple Guard. They charge, you hold, Kroxis move in and SMASH!!! Thanks for playing.

They remind me of Ironguts...only better! :)

Fechik
14-08-2009, 02:50
My only comment is Focus of Mystery.. bleck! it's 50 points. Take the plaque of Tepok for 15 pts and get 5 of the 6 spells. To me it just makes more sense.

Dragune
14-08-2009, 10:23
Wow never thought about plaque of tepok for the slann....not a bad idea really...

As to your lists I like the first one more. Looks fun to use and should do good.

SabaLoth
14-08-2009, 11:43
i personally would go for the slann list, though i really like your southlands.

ps: when fielding a slann with the p.o. Tepok, you always miss the critical spell.At least i do :(

Whaagnomore
14-08-2009, 11:55
While it is nice to have a general with Ld8, id instead just go with a Stegadon warspear to make sure that the chief can charge ANYTHING and come out victorious, also, id actually give him the battle standard and use someone else as general, just my opinion thouh =)

mr_vespa
14-08-2009, 20:24
Southlands list! Skinks ftw :D. I think it's a more unconventional approach to lizzies, but I've seen such lists wreak havoc on the playing field. It does have its inherent weaknesses, but depending on the general, they can be dealt with. The best way to judge is to play a couple times with them to get your 'feel'.

A few suggestions though:
- Camo Skinks are... bleh. In my opinion, your list has a sufficient number of blowpipes, and has 2 units of terradons for march blocking and harassment purposes. Those 60 pts could be better spent elsewhere, either more terras, or upgrading your normal Steg into an Ancient (that would require you to put your sallies into 1 rare choice)
- The Warspear would definitely be a winner here for your chief. Since he's mounted on an Ancient Steg, 2d6+1 impact hits is nothing to baulk at. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 2+ save provided by the Ancient Steg's howdah unmodifiable? If that's the case, why are you bothering with a shield?
- A Skink Chief mounted on a Terra with Blowpipe, Light Armour, Shield, Burning Blade of Chotec and Maiming Shield/Glyph Necklace makes for a dirt cheap tough little customer. He gives added punch to a unit of flyers, making them viable for flank charging. I've seen the tactic used to a degree of efficiency and it appears to be sensibly good to me.

Time of Madness
15-08-2009, 15:09
Thanks for all the comments thus far (and the votes).

My only comment is Focus of Mystery.. bleck! it's 50 points. Take the plaque of Tepok for 15 pts and get 5 of the 6 spells. To me it just makes more sense.

The plaque of Tepok is already on the skink priest. So my slann will know 6 spells and the priest will know 3. Gives me a lot of variety.

would leave the Kroxigors as they are, they make nice hammer units and AMAZING flank support to the Stubborn Temple Guard. They charge, you hold, Kroxis move in and SMASH!!! Thanks for playing.

And I agree here. I was put off initially with the kroxigors when the book was first released. But when they are used close to the slann and in a flanking type role they are great.

Time of Madness