PDA

View Full Version : Stirland 2000pt

Grimtide
13-08-2009, 19:51
Hey, this is my first Empire army and would welcome some thoughts and suggestions. Concept is based around an army mustered in Stirland to face the forces of the Undead. Will mainly be used in friendly competitive games so looking for balanced composition that can hold its own. C&C sought.

Wizard Lord @ 225 Pts
General, Lore of Death, Shroud of Magnus

Captain of the Empire (BSB) @ 113 Pts
FPA, Standard of Arcane Warding

Battle Wizard @ 130 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade, Lore of Death, Rod of Power

Priest of Morr @ 119 Pts
GW, Armor of Meteoric Iron

20 Spearmen @ 194 Pts
Full Command, Shields
Det 9 Swordsmen

20 Crossbowmen @ 165 Pts
Marksman

10 Handgunners @ 105 Pts
Marksman with Hochland Long Rifle

10 Handgunners @ 105 Pts
Marksman with Hochland Long Rifle

5 Knightly Orders @ 123 Pts
Musician

5 Knightly Orders @ 123 Pts
Musician

20 Greatswords @ 284 Pts
Full Command
Det 9 Swordsmen

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

5 Outriders @ 113 Pts
Musician

Total: 1999

Lord Hurin
13-08-2009, 22:01
For a province that's described as ****-poor and rustic, there are certainly a lot of Knights and gunpowder in this list.

Slayerthane
13-08-2009, 22:43
How is this a Stirland list? I can see one unit of knights, more likely templars of Morr given the proximity to sylvania but other than that you're going to be using alot of spearmen and huntsmen if you want a real Stirland list. Swordsmen modeled as stir river patrol are a possibility but I would imagine black powder weapons would be rare in Stirland.

Grimtide
13-08-2009, 22:44
For a province that's described as ****-poor and rustic, there are certainly a lot of Knights and gunpowder in this list.

The two units of Knights belong to the Knights of Morr and the Greatswords are Templars. The State Troops are provided by a faithful noble (BSB) with the spearmen & crossbow men his core levies with two small units of handgunners modelled with a mix of handguns and pistols. The outriders are his young nephews & cousins. I though that the pair of cannon seemed representative of the use of artillery in the Empire but stopping before getting into the exotic Helstrom/Helblaster/Steam Tank.

Hope that gives a better idea of what I have in mind. :)

Lord Hurin
13-08-2009, 23:17
Yes. What you have in mind isn't a Stirland list at all. More of a Reikland army, I think. Still fits, I guess. Stirlanders are poor folk. Their only ranged weapons would probably be bows.

In the end, you can either pick the models according to the theme you like OR you can pick the models you like and see which theme fits it best. You can't have it both ways.

Grimtide
13-08-2009, 23:57
I disagree with the idea that a force raised in Stirland would be so limited in its choices. True it is not a province that is particularly wealthy it is still one of the ten provinces of the empire with the resources that entails. Sigmars Heirs actually clarifies that while far from the centres of power its reputation as a backwater "is largely undeserved".

Still its a work in progress as its what I'm aiming towards in the TOFP. Having not played Empire I am curious as to how it might play.

Von Wibble
14-08-2009, 11:41
Is the army intended as a face all comers or only vs undead. If the latter, I think a rethink is required.

Ld8 on your general is a liablility. An Arch Lector would be a better choice than wizard lord imo (replace the priest with a L2 and you only lose a small amount of magic in making such a move)

Death magic is a poor choice vs undead. I know its the right choice thematically, but Undead are immune to a lot of the spells.

No flagellants - an essential unit to hold up undead

No pistoliers - an essential unit against anyone.

Greatswords struggle vs undead unless accompanied by a character with Icon of Magnus. Stubborn means nothing unless backed up with immune to fear.

The spearman unit is too small. It will be outnumbered by enemy units, and loses rank bonus frmo just one casualty. Empire foot troops should be 25 models strong imo (if not 30).

I'm not sure how you are going to be able to get all 40 of your models shooting. I would suggest dropping the crossbowmen and fielding as smaller detachments for the greatswords and spearmen. Archers would be even better (and a very in character choice for stirland) as they can all get shots through skirmish.

Finally, what are the long rifles for? Most undeasd can heal wounds caused by sniping their characters and champions without much bother, so the only viable target would be a necromancer - if he has one. I don't think they are needed - if you lost them than the points would be very useful elsewhere.

If the army is for more opponents than just undead some of the points above are less relevant.

Grimtide
14-08-2009, 16:09
Wizard Lord @ 225 Pts
General; 1 Shroud of Magnus

Captain of the Empire (BSB) @ 113 Pts
HW; FPA; Standard of Arcane Warding
(With Spearmen)

Battle Wizard @ 130 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade; HW; Rod of Power

Priest of Morr @ 144 Pts
GW; Armor of Meteoric Iron, Icon of Magnus
(With GS)

24 Spearmen @ 298 Pts
Full Command; LA; Shield
10 Archers
9 Swordsmen

10 Handgunners @ 85 Pts
Marksman

10 Handgunners @ 85 Pts
Marksman

5 Knights of Morr @ 123 Pts
Musician

5 Knights of Morr @ 123 Pts
Musician

19 Greatswords @ 356 Pts
Full Command
9 Archers
9 Swordsmen

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

1 Great Cannon @ 100 Pts

5 Outriders @ 113 Pts
Musician

Total Roster Cost: 1995

Revised list taking those comments into account. Would favor CB over HG but I am slightly constrained by models I have already purchased and I'm favoring Outriders simply because I prefer the models! C&C