PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen question on the "Dark Hart"

Draco74
14-08-2009, 12:45
I have a quick question about how this item works with Frenzied troops. The Dark Heart gives the hero and his units and extra D3" on a charge. If they fail the charge they do not get the extra D3" to their movement. Easy enough for regular troops, but what if the hero is in a unit of Frenzied Troops?

Frenzied troops don't declare charges they just check to see if any one is in range and if so they have to charge. There are two different ways I see this working and was looking to see if any one knew what was the best.

1. Roll the D3" and add it to the charge move before measuring to see if any one is in range. If no one is in range they don't get the extra D3".

2.Unit must declare a charge to get the extra D3", if they don't declare the charge they don't get the extra D3".

Any ideas or other possibilities?

Milgram
14-08-2009, 13:12
most tournament rulesets handle it as 'declare the use of the item before you declare a charge'.

there are also the two opinions 'roll every turn without using the item, use on the first charge that is possible' and 'not usable as you do not declare normal charges'.

Draco74
14-08-2009, 13:25
Are Frenzied troops unable to declare charges?
That would stink if they can't even use the item.

Condottiere
14-08-2009, 13:48
Thought exercise:

If frenzied troops have M4, with item it would be 9-11". Anything within 11" must be charged.

Draco74
14-08-2009, 15:12
Bestigors are M 5"
So I had been playing that each turn I roll the D3" and add it to the 10" charge move. IF there was someone within that rang I charge if not I move as normal, I just don't get the extra D3".

I had just never taken this item to a Tournament and thought I better check to see if I was doing it right.

Jushak
14-08-2009, 16:59
Hmm, the way this was explained to me at our local club was like this:

1. Frenzied unit can issue a charge as normal. If they do, they get the benefit of the item (if the player wants to, of course).
2. Unit doesn't issue a charge, but the charge range is checked in compulsory moves part of movement phase. If any target is in range they charge. The item cannot be used to add range anymore, as the unit didn't issue a charge.

Don't know how legal this ruling is, but I'd say it's a fair ruling: You don't get to benefit from the item only when you know it helps you, but you can still use it like normal.

xragg
14-08-2009, 17:09
Frenzy units declare charges. They are just forced to declare them and they cant do it during the normal "declare charges" phase of the turn.

pg 52 "the Frenzied unit must declare a charge ..."

Belerophon709
14-08-2009, 18:42
I'd still say they only have to charge anything that's within their regular 10" charge range.

However, the actual charge move would be 10"+D3". This is important if the enemy flees and you have to measure whether or not the enemy gets away or not.

Bele