PDA

View Full Version : orc shaman small force army

lector#1
14-08-2009, 13:38
hey guys im wanting to do a small army for fantasy just like a skirmish/ pirates list and was looking at some orc models and i rather like the 1994 shaman model and with some minor conversions to make him look unique it could be a fun little army to have... i dont know anything about orcs at all so if you guys could point out the flaws of orc shamans in small games are the waagh spells offensive like lore of fire or are they buff spells like lore of beasts and in a skirmish would i just put in as many orc arrow bows and normal boys as possible or should i put a special unit in

rtunian
14-08-2009, 14:25
orc shaman spells:

power level 5, d6 s4 24" magic missile
pl 6, s5 hit on any single model w/in 24" in los (even chars), no armor save
pl 6, any 1 unit in close combat w/in 18" strikes first and reroll misses
pl 8, any 1 unit w/in 18" takes s4 hit for each model in it on a 4+
pl 10, any 1 unit on table takes d6 s6, and then roll a d6 for some wacky effects
pl 12, all unbroken friendlies move 2d6 towards nearest enemy in los, strike first, and reroll misses

without knowing how many points your game is, its impossible to say what kind of army you "should" field

lector#1
14-08-2009, 22:04
well it wouldnt be more than 500 or 750

rtunian
14-08-2009, 23:08
ok if you want to have just an orc shaman as your only character...

500 list
orc shaman - boar, waaagh! paint, nibbla's itty ring, collar of zorga - 151
19 orc warriors - shields, full command - 144 (sham here, deploy 5 wide)
15 orc warriors - extra choppa, standard, musician - 117 (deploy 6 wide)
orc boar chariot - 80

750 list
orc shaman - boar, waaagh! paint, nibbla's itty ring, collar of zorga - 151
24 orc warriors - shields, full command - 174 (sham here, deploy 5 wide)
12 orc warriors - extra choppa, standard, musician - 99 (deploy 6 wide)
12 orc warriors - extra choppa, standard, musician - 99 (deploy 6 wide)
10 orc arrer boyz - musician - 65
orc boar chariot - 80
orc boar chariot - 80

Dungeon_Lawyer
15-08-2009, 00:57
Big wAAGH! spells are very "hitty" not "buffy"

rtunian
15-08-2009, 03:35
except for the 2 of 6 which give strike first and reroll misses...

Harwammer
15-08-2009, 11:03
orc shaman spells:

power level 5, d6 s4 24" magic missile
pl 6, s5 hit on any single model w/in 24" in los (even chars), no armor save can pick out characters in multipart models
pl 6, any 1 unit in close combat w/in 18" strikes first and reroll misses
pl 8, any 1 unit w/in 18" takes s4 hit for each model in it on a 4+ can be cast into combat
pl 10, any 1 unit on table takes d6 s6, and then roll a d6 for some wacky effects (the spell recasts on your own unit (1/6), ends (4/6) or recasts on an enemy unit (2/6)
pl 12, all unbroken friendlies move 2d6 towards nearest enemy in los, strike first, and reroll misses charges ignore psychology, no stand or shoot allowed

Filled out a couple of extra details on the spells.

Only one spell out of big waaagh! can't be cast while in combat (the MM) the others can all be cast while in combat (though not always at the unit you are engaged with).
OnG get an extra power dice if they have 1+ unit of 20+ orcs in combat at the start of the magic phase (this can be enhanced further with idol of mork).
Orcs also get a cheap +2 to cast item which works when the bearer is in combat (waaagh! paint).

Based on this I suggest you form your army around one or two largeish units of boyz (~24 models each) and take an orc shaman with the waaagh paint, possibly with the boss hat to protect from enemy troops and miscasts.

If you are worried about animosity costing you a magic phase a small unit of black orcs might make a decent bodyguard for the shaman. Also, remember the sooner you get your large orc block into combat the more power dice you have and the less you need to worry about animosity!

edit:
I'd be tempted to go for something like:
orc shaman, level 2, waaagh! paint
goblin bsb

20 boyz (stan, musc)
5 wolf boyz (musc)
20 night goblins (shields) (stan, musc)

bolt thrower

This would leave me just shy of 50 points for upgrading my troops.

lector#1
15-08-2009, 16:35
i wanted to use the shaman model on foot (94) model.... and if i was going to mount him it would be on a boar chariot ... its not supposed to be overly competative i just want a list that is random and fun to play while i build my guard list

BlackVomit
15-08-2009, 16:49
Orc Shaman (Heros) cannot be mounted on chariots, only boars.

lector#1
16-08-2009, 03:28
oh what about great shamans???? and if i cant mount him on a chariot i would rather him on foot

lector#1
16-08-2009, 03:55
i was also thinking maybe a goblin hero on a giant spider just because the model looks cool

Harwammer
16-08-2009, 07:10
Yeah, orc great shamans have the chariot option, just regular orc shamans don't.

In small point games you are very limited on points, but I guess you could make the spider a BSB (he won't be well protected though!) In the list I threw together you can just about afford a spider with the spare points. Its a shame they don't cause fear anymore, it would make them much more useful!